Jump to content


The Siege Of Gondor


19 replies to this topic

#1 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

Posted Image
When I set out to build in this category, I knew I had to build something good, so I though, "Gondor hasn't been done yet." So I built a set to fill that place, it the equivalent of the Uruk-hai Army set but for Gondor.

Posted Image
The minifigures included would be a Troll, Faramir, Gothmog, Gondor Soldier, Orcs x2.

Posted Image
The catapult had the most time put into it as I had to make it sturdy and strong as well as use a few pieces as possible.

Posted Image
While the wheel solution is simple, it feels like something LEGO would do.

Posted Image
The wall is the same height as the wall in Uruk-hai Army set.

Posted Image
The soldiers need to have a way to get up on the wall to defend the city.

Posted Image
Since a catapult is included, the wall has to be able to fall down when it's hit.

Flickr videos don't work here, so here's a link to the video of the Catapult firing.

----
This "set" has been sitting around since last Sunday as I built my other entries. I let my seven year old brother play with it as a sort of "test group", and it survived his beating. (Okay it didn't survive being chucked across the room but what set would?) The siege of Gondor has to be my favorite part in Return of the King so it seemed very fitting to build a set from it. Do keep in mind that I designed this like a LEGO set so it had to be simple and strong. Have I mentioned I don't like white-on-white editing?

I was asked to build from this:
5. Lord of the Rings
LEGO is coming out with their own line of LOTR, here is your chance to show how YOU would design the sets. Build a MOC that depicts a scene from LOTR, and build it like you work for Lego. Therefore, playability is a major factor here as is great parts usage.

Flickr Set
Built March 2012
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#2 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 4221
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Very nice Masked! I'm not familiar with my LotR cities besides Mordor, so which city is this again? :grin:
My Collection

Posted Image


Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats


#3 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:00 AM

View PostK-nut, on 08 April 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Very nice Masked! I'm not familiar with my LotR cities besides Mordor, so which city is this again? :grin:
What!?!  You don't know what it is?  This here.  You sure are missing out.  :tongue:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#4 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 4221
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostMasked Builder, on 08 April 2012 - 02:00 AM, said:

What!?!  You don't know what it is?  This here.  You sure are missing out.  :tongue:
Oh that one! I thought that city was Helm's Deep. :blush: :wall:
My Collection

Posted Image


Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats


#5 Stiel

Stiel

    Posts: 301
    Joined: 26-February 10
    Member: 9734
    Country: Hungary

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

Excellent! The catapult is great, most reminiscent to the one in the movie. The flaming rock is a good idea. I also like that the wall is white, and the shape of it is also nice, but I think it's a bit bland (at least compared to Helm's Deep and the add-on set, where they included some discoloration and variation of basic bricks).

The number of attackers and defenders is spot on, I also like the troll a lot, but I would include one more generic troll instead of the general (who should go to the 'main' set instead). On weapons: maybe you could have included an archer on either side, there were a good number of them in the movie.

#6 The_Cook

The_Cook

  • Piratical Project Manager


    Posts: 334
    Joined: 10-January 12
    Member: 23998

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:36 PM

A nice little set. You've obviously been thinking in terms of "What would Lego do?" rather than the usual MOC technique of packing lots of detail in.

One question that I'd have to pose is: "Are you designing a army building set or a siege machine set?" There are too many minfigs for a siege engine set and too much scenery for an army builder set. Many fans tend to be army builders, so it's natural to want to put lots of minifigs into a set but that's not necessarily going to help sell the set. That said the Urak-Hai army set has 6 minifigs, so my question could equally be applied to that set. I assume that Lego have done their research and realised that people are buying just for the minifigs so will pay a premium for a set with lots of figures.


Another qeustion is regards the engineering. Engineering is one of the quality control aspects that all Lego designed models go through to ensure that they're structurally sound and aren't stressing the bricks by using improper construction techniques. Whislt I love the design of the catapult I feel that the lack of a structural linkage between the two uprights could be an issue. I also think that the frame between the wheels looks a little flimsy. One third point is that on the wall section the piece of wall at the top of the steps is floating in space, it really needs some degree of support.


As slready mentioned by Stiel some texture or colouration on the wall would be nice and make it a little more interesting.

#7 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:46 PM

View PostK-nut, on 08 April 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Oh that one! I thought that city was Helm's Deep. :blush: :wall:
Wow.  :wall:  :poke:

View PostStiel, on 08 April 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

Excellent! The catapult is great, most reminiscent to the one in the movie. The flaming rock is a good idea. I also like that the wall is white, and the shape of it is also nice, but I think it's a bit bland (at least compared to Helm's Deep and the add-on set, where they included some discoloration and variation of basic bricks).

The number of attackers and defenders is spot on, I also like the troll a lot, but I would include one more generic troll instead of the general (who should go to the 'main' set instead). On weapons: maybe you could have included an archer on either side, there were a good number of them in the movie.
Yes the judges mentioned that when they scored it, I wasn't sure what else to add to it though. :sceptic:

Yeah, that makes more sense, but Gothmog is still cool!  :tongue:  Hm, yeah that would be something to think about adding.

View PostThe_Cook, on 08 April 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

One question that I'd have to pose is: "Are you designing a army building set or a siege machine set?" There are too many minfigs for a siege engine set and too much scenery for an army builder set. Many fans tend to be army builders, so it's natural to want to put lots of minifigs into a set but that's not necessarily going to help sell the set. That said the Urak-Hai army set has 6 minifigs, so my question could equally be applied to that set. I assume that Lego have done their research and realised that people are buying just for the minifigs so will pay a premium for a set with lots of figures.

Another qeustion is regards the engineering. Engineering is one of the quality control aspects that all Lego designed models go through to ensure that they're structurally sound and aren't stressing the bricks by using improper construction techniques. Whislt I love the design of the catapult I feel that the lack of a structural linkage between the two uprights could be an issue. I also think that the frame between the wheels looks a little flimsy. One third point is that on the wall section the piece of wall at the top of the steps is floating in space, it really needs some degree of support.
Yes I see where you're going, but I had to make it more of a siege engine set or the judges wouldn't have like it.  

I did try putting a good bit of weight on all of the joints and it seemed pretty sturdy overall.  Yeah I'd agree that it needs some work, but it did seem pretty sturdy when I built it.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#8 The_Cook

The_Cook

  • Piratical Project Manager


    Posts: 334
    Joined: 10-January 12
    Member: 23998

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 08 April 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yes I see where you're going, but I had to make it more of a siege engine set or the judges wouldn't have like it.  

I think where I'm going is more along the lines of questioning the original Urak-hai set rather than yours... so feel free to ignore me.

View PostMasked Builder, on 08 April 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

I did try putting a good bit of weight on all of the joints and it seemed pretty sturdy overall.  Yeah I'd agree that it needs some work, but it did seem pretty sturdy when I built it.

It's all somewhat reliant on the friction in those hinge pieces. If you could squeeze another hinge in where the inverted 2x1 slopes are now, or maybe some form of clip to actually secure that apex of the triangle then I think you're on to a winner. That said, I appreciate that you may (as we all so oftern are) be limited by the parts you have to hand and in the right colours.

#9 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostThe_Cook, on 08 April 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

It's all somewhat reliant on the friction in those hinge pieces. If you could squeeze another hinge in where the inverted 2x1 slopes are now, or maybe some form of clip to actually secure that apex of the triangle then I think you're on to a winner. That said, I appreciate that you may (as we all so oftern are) be limited by the parts you have to hand and in the right colours.
Hm...Yes that could work, when I built it this way I made sure that it was nice and sturdy.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#10 Nightshroud99

Nightshroud99

    Posts: 1240
    Joined: 03-October 09
    Member: 7668
    Country: Canada

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

View PostK-nut, on 08 April 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

Very nice Masked! I'm not familiar with my LotR cities besides Mordor, so which city is this again? :grin:

Mordor isn't even a city.  :cry_sad:
My YouTube Channel! 20,000 subscribers and growing! I review LEGO!
http://www.youtube.c...r/Nightshroud99

#11 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:21 PM

View PostNightshroud99, on 08 April 2012 - 11:01 PM, said:

Mordor isn't even a city.  :cry_sad:
Yeah, I'm working on drilling it out of him.  :tongue:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#12 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:53 AM

Very nice! I'm not really liking the plain wall, though. The catapult is fantastic, and great figures!

#13 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 09 April 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Very nice! I'm not really liking the plain wall, though. The catapult is fantastic, and great figures!
Thanks!  I wasn't to sure about what to do to the wall to make it better.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#14 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2095
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 09 April 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Thanks!  I wasn't to sure about what to do to the wall to make it better.
You could try doing some SNOT-ing on it, or using some round bricks.

#15 Nightstalker

Nightstalker

    Posts: 493
    Joined: 11-April 12
    Member: 27895
    Country: USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I really like the catapault design. I think the wall would look better if you mixed in at least one other color.

#16 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 10 April 2012 - 09:25 PM, said:

You could try doing some SNOT-ing on it, or using some round bricks.
Hm...Round bricks would be something to think about.

View PostNightstalker, on 11 April 2012 - 01:56 AM, said:

I really like the catapault design. I think the wall would look better if you mixed in at least one other color.
Yeah, maybe some light grey would look nice.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#17 MattTheLegoman

MattTheLegoman

    Posts: 65
    Joined: 20-June 10
    Member: 11557

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

I will give these four suggestions (for realism and making it better to my eyes)Posted Image

The outer wall of Minas Tirith was much taller than Helms Deep, it was also indestructible (but an earthquake under the wall could destroy it). The Mordor catapults were for destroying the buildings inside, burning stuff, and throwing severed heads.Posted Image

Here is the 'texture' of the wall from the game BfME. Your arches are great, but perhaps one of the pillars? Or you could try getting the Merlons (?) (The things sticking up from the wall) a little bit more accurate. Or just like the Helms Deep wall piece with the jutting out tower.

Posted Image

Any way that you could make it angled? Minas Tirith is round, but hinge pieces would work.

With colour, it's the White City! Stick with Light Grey or White.
P.S.  (But in the books the outer wall was black like Orthanc).

Edited by MattTheLegoman, 13 April 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Brickshelf Flickr Also on Revora, 3rd Age

#18 Venunder

Venunder

    Posts: 254
    Joined: 15-February 12
    Member: 26358
    Country: UK

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Oh no. You have given me the idea of building Minas Tirith at Modular scale.

No no no. If I ever try this it must be at mini modular scale.  :laugh:

#19 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8063
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostMattTheLegoman, on 13 April 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

I will give these four suggestions (for realism and making it better to my eyes)Posted Image

The outer wall of Minas Tirith was much taller than Helms Deep, it was also indestructible (but an earthquake under the wall could destroy it). The Mordor catapults were for destroying the buildings inside, burning stuff, and throwing severed heads.Posted Image

Here is the 'texture' of the wall from the game BfME. Your arches are great, but perhaps one of the pillars? Or you could try getting the Merlons (?) (The things sticking up from the wall) a little bit more accurate. Or just like the Helms Deep wall piece with the jutting out tower.

*snip*

Any way that you could make it angled? Minas Tirith is round, but hinge pieces would work.

With colour, it's the White City! Stick with Light Grey or White.
P.S.  (But in the books the outer wall was black like Orthanc).
Yeah those are all things I would love to have done, but it just wasn't possible in the time frame.  Maybe I'll go make an Architecture style MOC that would be more accurate.

Yeah I've been rereading the books but I haven't gotten to Gondor yet. :sweet:

View PostVenunder, on 13 April 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Oh no. You have given me the idea of building Minas Tirith at Modular scale.

No no no. If I ever try this it must be at mini modular scale.  :laugh:
Wow, yeah that I would love to see!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#20 Duke of wellington

Duke of wellington

    Posts: 222
    Joined: 21-April 12
    Member: 28091

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

Great design ! [

View PostVenunder, on 13 April 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

Oh no. You have given me the idea of building Minas Tirith at Modular scale.

No no no. If I ever try this it must be at mini modular scale.  :laugh:

Well i've been wanting to do it back about 6 months ago you may remember my topics but I have started it in minifig scale I do have 40 Mordors!!



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users