#1 bdd

bdd

Member: 1065

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:09 PM

Aqua Raiders - 7771 - Angler Ambush Review

Posted Image

The Pieces...
Posted Image

Nothing hugely special, some gold coins, seaweed and glow in the dark big teeth for the fish.

The Fish...
Posted Image

The fish is the best part.  it's fun little set to biuld that isn't just thrown together.  It's a nice biuld.  The mouth and tail move.  Big teeth glow, the little ones do not.  The eyes are printed on.

The Mini Sub...
Posted Image

Nice little set, nothing really to it.  The 7770 set is much better and detailed, but still it's not a bad sub.

The Rock
Posted Image
The rock thing is the normal Lego design, seaweed, hit the lever and something comes off, gold is inside.

The Minifigs

The minifigures are all the same design, all have different faces you can see throughout the review.  All seem to be from castle sets.  Still the minifigs are nothing to complain about.

Overall set...
Posted Image

The set is ok for $10.  The main reason, well the only reason, to buy the set is the cool little fish.  You can get a rock and a better sub for $5.  The fish seems to be $5-6 and the rock and mini sub would be about $4.  If you don't want the fish I wouldn't bother buying the set, just buy the smaller one then.  While the fish was really cool I wish Lego would include some old sharks, stingrays, and dolphins just for a different range.

Other note there is a tiny picture of the other AR sets on the back of the box, hardly can see anything.  Interesting that the Shipwreck was not in the store and not on the back of the box.  I guess it will be an exclusive later in the year.

Edited by Hobbes, 12 November 2006 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Zane

Zane

• aka Toa Tilius !!

Member: 491

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:18 PM

Loving that fish. I'll probably get this, since it's cheap and I like the fish. Thanks for the review.

#3 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

is the fish a new blue color??looks great!

the rock seems rather pointless for this set
they could have added other cool elements like another tiny sub or a smaller fish

#4 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

Member: 514

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Fishies rock.

#5 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:55 PM

the rock seems rather pointless for this set

Looks fine to me, and it reminds me a lot of the old diver kits with the cool action features (which is a good thing).  ;-)

The set is ok for $10. The main reason, well the only reason, to buy the set is the cool little fish

I don't think it's the ONLY reason... as while you get much less acessories, you get an extra figure, which is also an excellent reason to buy it.  :-)

But, my point is that I and many other people will no doubt enjoy this set, because it is actually complete mini Aquaraiders playset, due to it having a monster and figures, not just figures. It's another must buy for me!  ;-)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 bdd

bdd

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:57 PM

The fish is dark blue, just a rare color.

And the rock is pointless.  They should have had a gun or something to shoot the fish or just some extra seaweed and another small fish or old shark.

#7 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:15 PM

nice review. I want to see those boxes in my toy store! But I know that I have to wait until february...

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 sam89

sam89

• The Calm Voice

Member: 13

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:21 PM

Nice review. The biggest surprise here - printed pieces! Oh, and the fish is great.

#9 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:28 PM

not spectacular, this one

#10 legomilk

legomilk

• German Correspondent

Member: 513

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:40 PM

Hi there, can you give me the book number of the building instruction?

#11 Cabby

Cabby

Member: 985

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the review. That one is on my wish list for 2007 now. Well, all Aqua Raiders sets are.  :-)

The fish looks real good.

#12 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

View Postsnefroe1, on Nov 4 2006, 05:28 PM, said:

not spectacular, this one
How'd I see that response coming?  :-P

I like this set, nice little parts pack for the price (love the blue).  The printed piece COULD work nicely with a dark blue mecha, and the pieces are great (love the gitd "teeth").  Thanks for the review!

#13 DarthBrick429

DarthBrick429

Member: 567

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:24 AM

Do you think I could get this at my nearest TRU?

#14 bdd

bdd

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:54 AM

No, but you can try.  When I went it seems that they just got the sets in, like that day maybe the day before.  They didn't have all the new ones out yet (yellow car).  TRU probably will get them December to X-Mas.

#15 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

Member: 839

Posted 05 November 2006 - 12:44 PM

I love the fish. I like the light hanging in front of him :)
Cool set.
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#16 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:30 PM

BDD:  nice little review.  I like these small sets that you don't have to spend a lot of money on, and they still add great value to a theme.  I think this set is definately worth getting.

#17 SirNadroj

SirNadroj

• Rock Hard ABS

Member: 998

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:08 AM

Where in the world did you find it? Looks awesome! I usally buy the smallest set of a series anyway, even if it really is that great, but this one looks awesome! I'll have to pick one up when I see them next year! Another thing I like is that you get two minifigures, and that the fish's eyes are printed!  *y* Down with Stickers! *y*

#18 bdd

bdd

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:21 AM

View PostSirNadroj, on Nov 5 2006, 07:08 PM, said:

Where in the world did you find it?

I stole it from the back of a Lego truck.  :)

#19 xenologer

xenologer

Member: 626

Posted 06 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

Youre on the East Coast, USA right?

Lego Shop here in California doesn't have the sets yet, and they thought they were coming in january... ohwell, shop employees never know that kinda stuff anyway...
But I think the pattern is usually that sets arrive in the east coast first, and take a week or 2 to spread west gradually....

#20 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

• Saloon Gambler

Member: 646

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:37 AM

im actually a little disappointed based on the images in this review...  the box art made the set (and angler) look much cooler  |-/

i don't like that the two big teeth glow, and the smaller teeth do not...  seems inconsistant.  i would have made all the teeth non-glow, and made the bacteria filled blub on his tentical glow-in-the-dark.  that would have been cool.

- BrickMiner
check out my about me thread.

also, check out The LEGO Western Expansion MOC Page at MOCpages.com !!!
and Brick Miner's Extras BrickLink.com store !!!

#21 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

Tks bdd for this neat review !!

This set is just plain great for its price !! And NO bloody crappy stickers !! G thats a surprise  8-  !!

I can't wait to get my hands on that whole line  ;-)

I guess this means that the hunt for the 07 sets has started !! Gentlemen, be ready and good hunt  :-D

*yoda*

#22 L'Exocet

L'Exocet

Member: 466

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reviews, bdd! Nice to see some of that old glam coming back to Legoland  :'-) . AR sets are really cool, in every way!  

I'm a bit worried though, the only set in the series that really interests me is the shipwreck - if that's going to be an exclusive of some sort, I think I'll just forget it - the railing of my town is eating up the budget as it is.

"Next stop, a beautiful town of St. Mary!"

#23 bdd

bdd

Posted 06 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

The Salamon Pond Mall had the last Fire Station set out about a week before Thanksgiving a few years back.  The employees in the store really seemed to know what's gonig on so I don't think it will take until next year to reach CA.

And the shipwreck is nowhere.  It wasn't in the store when they had all the other sets and it's not on the box that has a small picture of all the sets.  Of course "exclusive" now-a-days means that it will only be in TRU and Target and the Lego Stores.  

They should have made all the teeth glow, they have made small glowing teeth before right?

#24 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

View Postbdd, on Nov 6 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

They should have made all the teeth glow, they have made small glowing teeth before right?
They did but NOT that model introduced with the viking line  ;-)

The one existing in glow in the dark are these ones (coming from the Designer set: Deep Sea Predator 4506):

teeth.jpg

*yoda*

#25 Vader

Vader

Member: 83

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:55 PM

Hmmmm not a bad little set, gotta love that fish and yippy no crappy stikers for once :-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users