Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

Aqua Raiders – 7770 – Deep Sea Treasure Hunter
Posted Image
75 Pieces
$4.99

Overall Set...
Posted Image

Pieces…

There are 75 pieces for only $5.  With the 75 pieces you get two red snakes, a blue and green jewel, a skeleton head, and 4 gold coins.  The front have two robot arms with “wrench” pieces to pick things up with.  There is a trans-green seaweed piece.  You can never get enough of those.

Minifig…
Posted Image

The minifig is nice.  A printed helment with a nice light blue, black yellow mix for the overall minifig.  I guess the head is an old one, but I like it.  I see no need for Lego to make special charaters for themes like Knight’s Kingdom and Exo-Force.   Lego until 15 years ago just had the simple smilie face and they worked fine.  All the Aqua Raiders have the same diver suit too, so you can make a little army of them, but that might displease some.

Special things…

NO STICKERS!  I will repeat NO STICKERS!  There is a computer tile and a back fin that says Sub Deep Diver.  It’s great to not have any stickers.

I think this is one of the best sets  I have seen from Lego in awhile.  The set is easily the best small set for 2007 from what I have seen.  Everyone needs to buy this set, it’s a fun little yellow sub with a lot of extras.  When I bought it at the store someone came in before me and bought 19 of them.  I think she was a member of NELUG.

When you see this set, buy it!  Buy two of them!

EDIT:  The set is also rather large, 8 studs wide and almost as long as the fire pick up truck.

Edited by Hobbes, 12 November 2006 - 10:10 PM.

#2 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

Member: 514

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:05 PM

Wow,i didn't expect a review so fast...
Very nice set.I might pick it up for the pieces and the minifig.
*y*

#3 phoinix

phoinix

• Eurovision !!

Member: 689

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:11 PM

this cute little sub should look great at any city layout!

imagine him deep in the port finding a treauser!!

the price is great !!!
the fact that there are no stickers is WOW finally!!

i would love to see a review of the fire-car....maby a close up picture of the back of the car...thanx!

#4 bdd

bdd

Member: 1065

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:15 PM

I already took pictures, I'll write up a review of the fire truck later.  Next up will be the big FISH set.

#5 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Member: 788

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for this nice little review bbd and wow you got it up fast. It's good to see all those great accessories in such a small and inexpensive set, and a nice computer piece too! As for the head, it is satasfactory, they could have done something better but this works. I've always wondered why Lego likes to make so many of there non-licenced heads with facial hair...

Oh, and your picture taking skills aren't half bad!
Posted Image

#6 legomilk

legomilk

• German Correspondent

Member: 513

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

Hi there, can you give me the number of the building instruction?

#7 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

Thank you so much for the lightening-fast review, bdd!  ;-)

I am going to get this and the Angler fish set for sure. All the great pieces and models in these sets will probably please even many of the less positive lego fans. It sure is pleasing a lot of the people here and on BZP!  ;-)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#8 bdd

bdd

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

View Postlegomilk, on Nov 4 2006, 04:04 PM, said:

It has no number on the cover.  Where else would the number be?

#9 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:05 PM

View Postlegomilk, on Nov 4 2006, 04:04 PM, said:

Do you mean the set ID number, 7770?

View PostGrevious, on Nov 4 2006, 04:48 PM, said:

It sure is pleasing a lot of the people here and on BZP!  ;-)
Don't you mean there on BZP? X-D
Posted Image

#10 bdd

bdd

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

The fire set has a number of 4502940 on the front, but the AR sets don't have that number or any number on the cover.

#11 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:17 PM

thanks again bbd! This little set is really nice for the price. You can buy it without having youur conscience saying  NO!

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 legomilk

legomilk

• German Correspondent

Member: 513

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:38 PM

this nr 4502940 thanks  :-$  *y*

#13 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

Don't you mean there on BZP?

Nope. I said what I meant and I meant what I said.  X-D

From what I saw, the response to Aquaraiders both on here and at BZP was very positive, so that's why I said that.  ;-)

#14 Cabby

Cabby

Member: 985

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Thanks for the review.

Nice minifig, lots of accessories, cheap. May i say 'wow' ?  8-°

Arhhh can't wait to get my hands on those Aqua Raiders sets.  *wub*

#15 bdd

bdd

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:27 PM

View PostGrevious, on Nov 4 2006, 06:14 PM, said:

Nope. I said what I meant and I meant what I said.  X-D

From what I saw, the response to Aquaraiders both on here and at BZP was very positive, so that's why I said that.  ;-)

Thats good because the sets are really nice.  Even the ones I didn't buy seemed nice.  The big yellow sub looked really cool, I wish I looked at the box longer but I was at the store for more than an hour and there was a birthday party and craziness.  :)  My only complaint with the line so far is that the base has no roof, but looks like great fun for kids, and the big shark set is $30.

#16 xwingyoda

xwingyoda

Member: 255

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

And another tks to you bdd for thi review  ;-)

A really fantastic set for the price !! That sub is really neat and the fig is just like the others (nothing too exciting - but nice)

My only grip would be the color of those sea snakes !! I wanted a new color but how well  :-D

After seeing your reviews I have a sudden urge to visit my local TRU just in case  :-P

*yoda*

#17 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the review, bdd. :-)
I always liked the underwater themes, so I'd like to buy at least one of these Aqua sets.
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#18 Wobo Ihi

Wobo Ihi

Member: 871

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

Is that a Knight's Kingdom head I see? Anyway, a great little sub. Cheap too...

#19 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 07 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Nice review bbd - thanks! I just might have to get me one of those.

Kahgarak wrote:

Very nice set.I might pick it up for the pieces and the minifig.
Ok :-/ , that´s usually why I buy LEGO myself ;-).

Aqua On!

copmike

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#20 bdd

bdd

Posted 07 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

Don't be a smart big behind Mike.  :-P  Some sets don't have any special peices or anything.  This set has several nice pieces, and a food minifig for a cheap price.  Set 7771, while good, is mainly only good because of the big blue fish, not because of the special parts (Only the coins.) or the minifigures.  What I'm saying is if you want special pieces you are better off just buying the little sub set.  You get more special pieces and and two minifigures.

#21 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

• Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks

Member: 435

Posted 09 November 2006 - 05:35 AM

View Postcopmike, on Nov 7 2006, 05:22 PM, said:

Ok :-/ , that´s usually why I buy LEGO myself ;-).
Really? I always buy Lego for the cool looking boxes! :-P
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#22 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 12 November 2006 - 08:41 PM

Picked up an Aquaraiders kit from Walmart when I saw they had them in, and since I enjoyed it so much, I had to do a review for it. Here goes…

The Box and Instructions:

Front of Box.

Here, you can see the front of the box. It’s very nice, and all the little details like bubbles and sea grass really add to the underwater feel. The back shows the whole kit in a different position, and since it’s such a small kit, smaller boxes showing all the features were not necessary.

Instructions.

The instructions are also very nice, and the color changing sea background is beautiful. As for color confusion, the pieces were fairly easy to tell apart in the instructions.

Score: 10/10. Very clear, and very well done. Really makes it feel like an underwater kit.

The Pieces:

Pieces.

Here’s all the pieces included. For 5 dollars, you get quite a lot of pieces (including an extra bushing), and a lot of them are very useful.

Interesting Pieces.

Interesting pieces include two Exo-Force robot arms in black (new color!), a new printed computer tile, 2 yellow curved slopes, 2 small black wing pieces, a printed yellow tail and a black fin, and my favorite, a trans-green seaweed piece! (Note that it is not flexible due to it being clear)

Acessories.

Accessories are a must, and this kit has a lot! A new brown treasure chest, a set of coins, two jewels, a skull, two snakes, two dark gray harpoons, a pair of flippers,  and a helmet with a blue trident on it (the Aquaraider symbol, presumably). Love that the scuba mask is in trans blue! ;)

Score: 10/10. 75 pieces for $5 dollars, including many good parts and accessories make it an awesome parts pack!

The Minifigure:

Front of Minifigure

You get one minifigure (obviously). He’s very standard in the line, but the details on his torso and helmet are great.

Back of Minifigure.

Back view. Note that the blue plate is not included in this kit.  X-D

Score: 9/10. Very nice, but I would have liked a new head. Oh well.

The Finished Model:

The whole deal.

There are three main elements in this kit: the rover vehicle, the rock, and the treasure chest.

Rock.

The rock is simple, but looks good. The plant being trans-green and not just green adds a modern spin on this line (when compared to the old Divers line).

Overall sub view.
Front view.
Tail view.

The sub is very cool. It also is not extremely futuristic or unrealistic, which is one of the things I love about this line. The propeller shafts are nice, and I love how the pilot’s equipment can be stored on the sides of the cockpit. It’s odd though that the instructions have him stand up, as he can not reach the control panel in that position.

The other stuff.

The treasure chest is, well, a treasure chest. But all the accessories fit into it fine, and we also have two sea snakes (eels?) to guard it!

Score: 9/10. Very nice sub-models, especially the sub! Looks very underwatery (is that even a word?), and a has a fair amount of detail. I just wish it looked more intense and scary like the other Aquaraiders models, but with just two sea snakes as monsters, that’s not very possible.

Playability:

This kit is essentially a mini adventure. You have a diver, vehicle, monster, and sub, which all adds up to a lot of play time for kids (and me, since I still do literally “play” with Lego’s). It will go even better with larger kits, no doubt, but alone it still is a lot of fun.  ;-)

Score: 10/10. Three words: really, really fun!  X-D

Final Score: 9.6. Superb!

This kit really brings out the true spirit of Lego: creativity and playability, plus a lot of great pieces and models. I highly recommend this kit to all Lego enthusiasts, and especially to parts monkeys and MOC’ers. Great job, TLC!  ;-)

BTW, with all tha Aquaraiders topics and reviews being made, I think it's time for an offical theme index. Anybody agree?

#23 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

Ooo back priting, I hadn't noticed that before. This one looks nice but I'll problably get the angler fish. Or maybe not. I dont know. :'-)

To nit pick,  I think the snakes/eels should be included in with the cool peices, not the acessories. Although you said there were two small black wing peices, is there one as an extra 'cause I'm only seeing one.

View PostGrevious, on Nov 12 2006, 03:41 PM, said:

BTW, with all tha Aquaraiders topics and reviews being made, I think it's time for an offical theme index. Anybody agree?
Yes, good idea...

Thanks for the nice review.
Posted Image

#24 Zarkan

Zarkan

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:35 PM

When I meant "wing pieces," I didn't mean the black fin that attaches to the back of the rover, I meant the black wedge plates. And really, I see most of the small lego animal pieces as acessories, because they really are not MOCing pieces, and they don't fit in with minifiguires.  ;-)

#25 oo7

oo7

• Master Carpenter

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:49 PM

Ah OK sorry, where the studded black pieces were positioned on the sub they look like wings and the "wing" peice is placed so that it could look like a fin. In the proffetional world of LEGO the "wing" peices are a type of modified plate and the "fin" peices are a type of flag.

But the snakes/eels are opposing the diver, they are enemy monsters, I see your piont but I personally wouldn't call them acessories.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users