Sign in to follow this  
Blake Baer

Architecture Contest: Matsumoto Castle

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

800px-Matsumoto_Castle05s5s4592.jpg

Hello all!

I present to you my latest work, Matsumoto Castle, for the EB Architecture contest. After looking through hundreds of pictures for inspiration, I decided upon Matsumoto Castle as my model for a variety of reasons. In the true spirit of the contest, I was trying to supplement Adam Tucker's wonderful architecture series by building something not as mainstream and modern/minimalistic. I also didn't want this to be just another "cool" skyscraper, no matter how well I might be able to pull it off. At a first glance, I was repulsed by the prospect of building a castle but as I considered the architectural styles and flairs that the Japanese castle brought, I thought it would be worth looking into.

As I said before, I was trying to make this as true to the Architectural line as possible. Things like the base, the colors and the presentation were all factored in. But ultimately, I wanted this to be unique and to stand alone from the normal approaches.

Matsumoto Castle

Location...................Matsumoto, Japan

Built........................1593-94

Type........................Flatland Castle

Owner......................23+ Daimyos

Architect..................Yasunaga

This is built for the Landmark series.

Many people recognize the oriental architecture strictly based off of the roof style. I was trying to capture the familiar roof structure which was very difficult at this scale and with the chosen color palette. I also incorporated geographical aspects into the build by using water, terrain, trees and paths. While I wanted these to be detailed and to add to the build, I also didn't want them to detract from the architectural impetus of this contest.

The coloring was a supreme issue in this creation. The castle takes a very bland gray-scale which is boring and uninteresting to the eye. I therefore chose to add dark tan and red to the build while accenting it with blues and greens in the landscape around the castle. Altogether, it ties in very well with the essence.

Ultimately, I am quite happy with the end product. Architecture is one of my many interests, so this contest was quite fun. Thank you Rufus (and other behind the scenes admins) for hosting and running. I quite enjoyed it! :classic:

More info on Matsumoto castle can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoto_Castle

More pics can be found on the MOCpage: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/317551

Or on Flickr: Matsumoto Castle

Otherwise, please enjoy!

I appreciate your feedback.

-Blake

6902577078_339fed1b64_z.jpg

Matsumoto Castle by Blake's Baericks, on Flickr

7048256421_22dd60a758_z.jpg

7048254401_b90b8ea1d0_z.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Nice work - and a clever interpretation. It's just about impossible to get those curving oriental roof lines at such a small scale, but kudos to you for taking it on. Good luck.

Very nice Blake, I didn't realize there were so many angles in the MOC when I first saw it, you chose a challenging building and executed it perfectly! :thumbup:

Wow, great job! When I saw the real thing I was thinking there's no way to get that roofing. But, I was quite mistaken. You did a really nice job recreating the roof, as well as the rest of building.

Wowza!

Impressive build - you've managed to build in a lot of the details that I would have thought would have been lost ... such as the white trims ....

really nicely done!

Thanks guys, I appreciate your responses!

Impressive build - you've managed to build in a lot of the details that I would have thought would have been lost ... such as the white trims ....

Thank you for noticing! I made a specific effort to include the white trims on the roof.

Wowza!

I couldn't say it better myself. :laugh: Great work! The angles are nice and crisp. Good luck in the contest! :classic:

It seems to me a little bit higher than it should be. And the roofs lost their curved shape I think it is hard to find right solution for this. Anyway you have done good work!

This is one fantastic entry. Clean, japanese look :)

Far much better than most of official architecture sets.