Jump to content


Where is Space 2012?


  • Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2252
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet. More Alien Conquest? Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?

Or, alternatively, will Space be taking another hiatus? I hope not, but you never know.

So here's a thread to discuss the future of LEGO Space. Have at it!

#2 Mirandir

Mirandir

    Posts: 534
    Joined: 03-September 07
    Member: 1936
    Country: Sweden

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:00 PM

View PostAlgernon, on 30 August 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet. More Alien Conquest? Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?

Or, alternatively, will Space be taking another hiatus? I hope not, but you never know.

So here's a thread to discuss the future of LEGO Space. Have at it!

Am I the only one that has a hard time calling Alien Conquest a space theme. To me it's more of a Sci-Fi action theme than anything else. So for me Space has already taking a hiatus this year. :/ And I guess that there could be a space theme in 2HY 2012 that we haven't heard about yeat but it's starting to be more and more unlikely for every bit of news we get. So If there's a hiatus next year I sure hope they hit us with a bang in 2013.

But I guess one shouldn't start longing for new space already as that will surely just lead to dissapointment... :/

#3 K-Nut

K-Nut

    Posts: 6105
    Joined: 12-August 11
    Member: 19691
    Country: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

With all the licensed news, it's probably Star Trek!  :laugh: Just kidding. We almost never get Space in the January wave, So I wouldn't expect anything until Toy Fair.  :sceptic:
My Collection

Posted Image----------Posted Image


Althior Emorith, Level 54 Prophet: Stats

Kheyli, Level 8 Barbarian: Stats


#4 Aanchir

Aanchir

  • Color Encyclopedia


    Posts: 9107
    Joined: 31-December 09
    Member: 8841
    Country: United States

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Maybe the dino theme is the space theme? :tongue:

In all seriousness, I don't know for sure what awaits spacers in 2012. It's possible that there won't be a space theme for the first half of the year, just like there wasn't this year until Alien Conquest. Alternatively, perhaps there will be Alien Conquest sets next year and specific leaks just haven't been reported (this is likely the case with Hero Factory, although admittedly the AFOLs who have seen retailer's catalogs might not give a hoot about that particular theme's future).

I don't think the return of Blacktron would happen without a simultaneous return of Space Police, since those two themes are classic adversaries and these days there are no single-faction themes. On the other hand, Space Police has a long-standing tradition of including Blacktron figures, and Space Police III largely failed to meet that condition, so it's possible that a new "good guy" faction would be created to face off against Blacktron. I'm skeptical, though.

#5 LandShark

LandShark

    Posts: 463
    Joined: 24-July 11
    Member: 19253
    Country: Scotland

Posted 30 August 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostAanchir, on 30 August 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:


I actually speculated about that in the Dino 2012 topic. 'Astronauts VS Dinosaurs!  :wub:'

If it was a new theme, I think we would have heard about it by now, and since we had a new theme in the summer wave, it seems very unlikely. :sceptic:
I think we won't get any Space for the January Wave, but we could get some in the summer.

#6 SONIC883

SONIC883

    Posts: 24
    Joined: 31-January 10
    Member: 9374

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

Alien Conquest is a nice theme, but it doesn't excites me.

I hope for a theme like Classic Space to explore the space. The City Space could be a link to the stars.

<dream>
A new Moonbase with Helium3-Factory...
</dream>

-Kai

#7 vexorian

vexorian

    Posts: 1796
    Joined: 26-December 09
    Member: 8754
    Country: Bolivia

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:50 PM

We have had too many space exploration themes the last 5 years. I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.

#8 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2252
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

View Postvexorian, on 02 September 2011 - 04:50 PM, said:

We have had too many space exploration themes the last 5 years. I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.

Lol. So basically, Dino Attack in space.

#9 Blacktron

Blacktron

    Posts: 306
    Joined: 24-March 11
    Member: 16822
    Country: Germany

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

View PostAlgernon, on 30 August 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

With so much news cropping up for other themes - Dino 2012, Superheroes, and now even LotR - I'm starting to wonder why Space has been so quiet.

I visit the Frontpage of Eurobricks everyday to read the news, but I only knew about the new superheros line. If there is news about a Dino 2012 and even a LotR line, why don't they put that on the front page?  :sceptic: Now I have to search the whole forum.

@Topic: I would love to see some real space or even new blacktron sets. I'm not the biggest fan of Alien conquest and was very disapointed when I learned they would would stop the Space Police III line, without bringing blacktron back. The Rench figure seemed to be a good first sign of this idea.

#10 Gryphon Ink

Gryphon Ink

  • Confused by the Madness!


    Posts: 892
    Joined: 19-November 10
    Member: 14286
    Country: USA

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostBlacktron, on 03 September 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

I visit the Frontpage of Eurobricks everyday to read the news, but I only knew about the new superheros line. If there is news about a Dino 2012 and even a LotR line, why don't they put that on the front page?  :sceptic: Now I have to search the whole forum.

Because there really isn't any news, it's all just speculation gone wild. The "evidence" for LOTR is one guy's blog - with no sources, details or prior history to establish them as a good source - and a comment somebody at Travellers' Tales made over a year ago about how Lego LOTR "would definitely work". As far as I know, there's not much more evidence for Dino 2012.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 brickmack

brickmack

    Posts: 850
    Joined: 22-July 10
    Member: 12146
    Country: America

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

View Postvexorian, on 02 September 2011 - 04:50 PM, said:

We have had too many space exploration themes the last 5 years. I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.
Too many exploration themes? Other than Mars Mission (The astronauts INTENDED to explore but still ended up igniting a war) and City Space (Not really a proper space theme though) I can't think of any exploration themes in the last few years, LOM was the last. I think we need to have something without any enemies so they can focus on exploration (Or mining or moonbases or something else peaceful). The LEGO universe seems to be a horrible place to live sometimes (especially in SPIII, with the police arresting and probably killing aliens just because they are aliens, and the only reason they turn to crime is because they are not accepted by humanity.

#12 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2252
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

View PostGryphon Ink, on 03 September 2011 - 12:42 PM, said:

Because there really isn't any news, it's all just speculation gone wild. The "evidence" for LOTR is one guy's blog - with no sources, details or prior history to establish them as a good source - and a comment somebody at Travellers' Tales made over a year ago about how Lego LOTR "would definitely work". As far as I know, there's not much more evidence for Dino 2012.
You're right about LotR - it's just wild speculation. But Dino 2012 is confirmed, we have set names already. It's going to be similar to the old Johnny Thunder dinosaur safari sets.

#13 vexorian

vexorian

    Posts: 1796
    Joined: 26-December 09
    Member: 8754
    Country: Bolivia

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:48 PM

Hey, I did mean that those 2 themes were enough exploration for now. I just miss mechas :) City's space theme is just on the shelves so an exploration theme would look to come too soon to me. They are more closer to a space exploration theme than one would initially think, specially with the beautiful white atlantis armor. That moon buggy is almost a typical classic space set.

I have the feeling that a space or space-ish (like Alien conquest) theme will not come until the second wave. I blame Star Wars.

Edited by vexorian, 03 September 2011 - 03:50 PM.


#14 BrickHat

BrickHat

    Posts: 1300
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostAlgernon, on 30 August 2011 - 03:21 PM, said:

Another classic re-hash, like the return of Blacktron? Or something new entirely?
Return of BLACKTRON!!!! Please!!! Lego, please hear our cries!!!  :tongue:

View PostMirandir, on 30 August 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Am I the only one that has a hard time calling Alien Conquest a space theme. To me it's more of a Sci-Fi action theme than anything else. So for me Space has already taking a hiatus this year.
It does feel like you describe.

View PostAanchir, on 30 August 2011 - 05:04 PM, said:

I don't think the return of Blacktron would happen without a simultaneous return of Space Police, since those two themes are classic adversaries and these days there are no single-faction themes. On the other hand, Space Police has a long-standing tradition of including Blacktron figures, and Space Police III largely failed to meet that condition, so it's possible that a new "good guy" faction would be created to face off against Blacktron. I'm skeptical, though.
I do think Lego wasted an opportunity to bring back Blacktron... Hopefully, Blacktron III and SPIV?  :tongue:  

View Postvexorian, on 02 September 2011 - 04:50 PM, said:

I would like more action packed stuff. We need an emphasis on giant robots, hopefully fighting giant beasts and/or other giant robots. Needs big guns.
Which is why we need Blacktron III.  :grin:

View PostBlacktron, on 03 September 2011 - 11:48 AM, said:

@Topic: I would love to see some real space or even new blacktron sets. I'm not the biggest fan of Alien conquest and was very disapointed when I learned they would would stop the Space Police III line, without bringing blacktron back.
True, true, and 100% agreed.

View Postbrickmack, on 03 September 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

The LEGO universe seems to be a horrible place to live sometimes (especially in SPIII, with the police arresting and probably killing aliens just because they are aliens, and the only reason they turn to crime is because they are not accepted by humanity.
I think that this was a flaw in SPIII. Why no alien cops? All aliens are bad?   :sad:  Doesn't speak of a very tolerant society   :laugh:

#15 fr33manator

fr33manator

    Posts: 158
    Joined: 24-December 10
    Member: 14863

Posted 10 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

I was hoping for a blacktron rehash with the release if the blactron minifig (such a great fig, with the robo arm and the space age peg leg.)
I'm not sure what colors they would go with this time.
The trans color seems to be the variable here, from the trans red of SP1 to the trans Dark green of SP2 to the trans dark blue of SP 3
I kind of hope they stay with the trans-neon green for blacktron3 if it happens.
It looked great! Wishful thinking I'm sure

#16 manuelexar

manuelexar

    Posts: 43
    Joined: 08-January 11
    Member: 15254
    Country: Italy

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

So NO New Space 2012? :(

#17 Rocketbilly

Rocketbilly

    Posts: 816
    Joined: 23-November 08
    Member: 4462
    Country: England

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:39 PM

As far as the leaks from the retailer catalogues will have us believe then you are correct - no new Space theme for 2012.

I'm sure we'll get one in 2013 though.

#18 BrickHat

BrickHat

    Posts: 1300
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostRocketbilly, on 17 January 2012 - 09:39 PM, said:

I'm sure we'll get one in 2013 though.

Which means we won't get one.  :laugh:  Just kidding!

#19 Piranha

Piranha

  • Tag! You're it


    Posts: 4405
    Joined: 07-April 07
    Member: 1506
    Country: USA

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:06 PM

Yeah it has been pretty dry and it looks like a hiatus.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
  


#20 Bricker

Bricker

    Posts: 80
    Joined: 07-February 11
    Member: 15866

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Seriously? Has TLG's designers' brains gone completely dry of imagination? We have more licenced themes than anything and it's like to them coming up with a new theme like AC (not very great in my opinion) is like going to mars for real. They even released LEGO Cuusoo this year where basically fans make the sets... maybe they should get the money  :tongue: . But seriously Blacktron lll has to happen soon. Hopefully this hiatus is short and is a sign TLG has been working on a great new theme *Ahem Blacktron lll* that will blow our minds. TLG's quality has been going way up (Except in price  :sadnew: ) and kids now a days are way more moderanized and if TLG released an auesome new theme, AFOL's and kids all over the world would run into their little TRU's, run into the LEGO aeil at full speed and start touching and looking at all the boxes with their grimy hands because the internet isnt fun to use to look at a box  :grin: . LEGO, do us a favor, we. Want. SPACE.

#21 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Don't worry. We will get Space soon.
From the "Kingdoms 2012?" thread.

View PostTyrant, on 12 January 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

Actually, you're right on this. At least for the alien and the haz mat guy. According to a post by Draykov about half way down this page on FBTB, there is a Brickjournal interview with Mark Stafford about Alien Conquest that makes it seem as if the Haz Mat guy, the Generic Gray Alien, and the upcoming Dark Blue Space Marine type guy all spun out of concepts that were initially proposed for Alien Conquest. I figure is this is the case with those figures, it isn't a stretch to think it happened with some other themes as well. I never would've thought of the lumberjack, but it makes sense now that you mention it. It would explain why we have a Mummy, a Pharoah, and a Cleopatra-type. Though the Mummy, along with the Vampire, the Zombie, the Mad Scientist, Frankenstein, and the Werewolf all spun out of Monster Fighter ideas. Or they might not have been sure they were going to go forward with that and decided to use the figure concepts.
It also stated that AC beat out 4 other concepts that were more developed. This might explain why TLG did not make any more sets. It also means that we might get a new space/sci-fi theme in 2013. :excited:

View Postjohnnyvgoode, on 17 January 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

Which means we won't get one.  :laugh:  Just kidding!
Mayan Apocalypse? :laugh:

#22 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2252
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:42 PM

That's interesting, actually, and it makes a lot of sense. I'm pretty confident that LEGO won't turn its back on Space for very long, and frankly, I think Monster Fighters will fill that gap pretty nicely for me this year.

#23 snefroe

snefroe

  • waisted plastic


    Posts: 4470
    Joined: 14-February 05
    Member: 230
    Country: belgium

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM

weeeeell... let's face it... Classic Space (meaning Space before Futuron or maybe included Futuron as the last breath of a dying organism) is dead and buried :cry_sad: it's been like this for decades, I don't expect the return of the Golden Age. As far as I know, Lego never even considered to resurrect Classic Space... :sing: :cry_happy: :cry_sad:  

it seems to me that Space Conquest was at the end of the line. It was far from the best selling theme of the current catalog and in terms of playability, my guess is that Dino2012 and Superheroes, will simply take over.

However, if they do come up with a new line, I hope it's something different from anything before. I hope it would be something that we simply did not expect them to do, instead of a new space police theme or even blacktron. My main concern, in any case, is the quality of the sets. I wouldn't buy just any robot or spaceship, it has got to be a good robot or spaceship...

but as for now, i wouldn't keep my hopes up too much

#24 Algernon

Algernon

  • Not a Doofus


    Posts: 2252
    Joined: 21-January 08
    Member: 2558

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

View Postsnefroe, on 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

weeeeell... let's face it... Classic Space (meaning Space before Futuron or maybe included Futuron as the last breath of a dying organism) is dead and buried :cry_sad: it's been like this for decades, I don't expect the return of the Golden Age. As far as I know, Lego never even considered to resurrect Classic Space... :sing: :cry_happy: :cry_sad:  

it seems to me that Space Conquest was at the end of the line. It was far from the best selling theme of the current catalog and in terms of playability, my guess is that Dino2012 and Superheroes, will simply take over.

However, if they do come up with a new line, I hope it's something different from anything before. I hope it would be something that we simply did not expect them to do, instead of a new space police theme or even blacktron. My main concern, in any case, is the quality of the sets. I wouldn't buy just any robot or spaceship, it has got to be a good robot or spaceship...

but as for now, i wouldn't keep my hopes up too much
I don't think LEGO has forgotten about the "golden age" of LEGO Space. Keep in mind that a lot of the designers are LEGO fans just like us. Space Police III was riddled with references only a seasoned Space fan would ever get.

#25 BrickHat

BrickHat

    Posts: 1300
    Joined: 07-August 11
    Member: 19563

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

View PostLegoman273, on 18 January 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Mayan Apocalypse? :laugh:
:laugh:  Exactly... Maybe Space 2012 could be about humankind evacuating Earth in spaceships because of it.  :iamded_lol:

View Postsnefroe, on 18 January 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

weeeeell... let's face it... Classic Space (meaning Space before Futuron or maybe included Futuron as the last breath of a dying organism) is dead and buried :cry_sad: it's been like this for decades, I don't expect the return of the Golden Age. As far as I know, Lego never even considered to resurrect Classic Space... :sing: :cry_happy: :cry_sad:  

it seems to me that Space Conquest was at the end of the line. It was far from the best selling theme of the current catalog and in terms of playability, my guess is that Dino2012 and Superheroes, will simply take over.

However, if they do come up with a new line, I hope it's something different from anything before. I hope it would be something that we simply did not expect them to do, instead of a new space police theme or even blacktron. My main concern, in any case, is the quality of the sets. I wouldn't buy just any robot or spaceship, it has got to be a good robot or spaceship...

but as for now, i wouldn't keep my hopes up too much
I'm not keeping my hopes up too much, but I wouldn't say that Classic Space is dead forever. One never knows.  :classic:

I'm all for fresh ideas, but I would prefer something more "pure" sci-fi than Alien Conquest, if you know what I mean.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users