2/4/2012-- Started lower deck and gun deck

3/4/2012-- Finished lower deck and gun deck, started weather deck

22/5/2012-- Modified broadsides

22/5 - 27/5/2012-- Modify hold and gundeck

Most recent update

7929703182_f82e3eab30_z.jpg

Thats the main hatch and the stairs

7465486182_13b63de0e1_z.jpg

After watching POTC last year, I was in love with sailing ships, well, particularly the Endeavour featuring in the film. Since then, I've been building up my knowledge of it, from absolutely ZERO at the beginning to a tiny little bit now. I then bought the 10210, and apply what I know to modify it by rigging the whole ship and adding sails et al.

By that time, I've always wanted to build a ship of my own and when I finish watching Master and Commander, I just couldn't resist the charm of the surprise so I decided that I might be wanting to build it. As I've never tried it before (except the failed Constitution I've done), I would like to share my whole proccess with you, from LDD to the real deal, to let me have some feedbacks from you. :pir-cry_happy:

Edited by hobbes5a

Looks good so far, I'm not the expert on such ships but judging from those two pictures I'd say she has has a fine curve.

Maybe a side view would be useful :pir_laugh2:

After cross-checking with the plans of her, i am thinking about whether to reduce the height of the gundeck by one brick or not since from the plans the color ratio of black and yellow is almost 1:1 but in my design the yellow to black ratio now with the wetherdeck still missing is already 1:1.(that's a trade off of minifigs standing space to correct ratio)

What do you think?

http://static.flickr.com/30/50398567_2d4c7a7ffe_b.jpg

6536723703_217cbae05f_z.jpg

Edited by hobbes5a

Hi I've done some work on her these days, please have a look. :cannon:

the great cabin

6926514004_d7a4ea8097_z.jpg

the stairs and the main hold, still need some work on the hatch though

6926513898_8d332329f6_z.jpg

the bell and the upper part of the galley

7072590931_9ce1dea9bd_z.jpg

and the bow (cathead still missing :pir_bawling: )

7072590831_e6ff183a1e_z.jpg

Hallo,

that’s a very nice one of the HMS Surprise. The cabin is great with all this filigree details and I like the storeroom. :pir-oh:

But why isn’t there the same distance between the gun ports? This looks a little bit strange. I think you should revise it. Maybe you could add one more hull section or skip a gun port. :pir-look:

Good luck and keep it up! :jollyroger:

Hallo,

that’s a very nice one of the HMS Surprise. The cabin is great with all this filigree details and I like the storeroom. :pir-oh:

But why isn’t there the same distance between the gun ports? This looks a little bit strange. I think you should revise it. Maybe you could add one more hull section or skip a gun port. :pir-look:

Good luck and keep it up! :jollyroger:

Well thanks for your kind reply. However, I personally think that this distant for the gunport is fine cuz when there is too much space in between from the inside, it would seem kinda strange from the outside.

I meant to post something earlier, but I’m simply too busy these days to be half as active as I’d like to be. The issue with the gun ports, from my perspective is not so much visual, though I do wonder what’s inspired you to place them as such. The real problem is the space in-between, with which to operate the artillery. Cannons are not fired from behind by one man, but rather a crew of as many as 6 (or more for bigger guns) standing to either side. Your most aft ward ports just look wrong as they don’t account for that necessary space between; that is with reference to the more forward ports. Because all the guns of a broad side should be the same size, or similar enough, they would require the same crew and therefore the same amount of space to operate.

I am very familiar, as you find most of the historic buffs around here are, with the image you offer as reference. I’ve studied over it, and many of its kind on countless a late nights, planning out my own designs. I really don’t see or understand what there in has inspired you to place your ports as such. It’s true, that every ship is different and in history many were modified into fighting vessels forsaking their original intent. In some cases you may find extra ports cut into a given hull to increase the ship’s broadside, however with Surprise this is not the case at all. The draft you’re working from is from the historic Surprise, formerly L’Unite, a purpose built frigate. Her broad side was planned into her structure and did not change in number throughout her life. If you are seeking to make a historic model I would strongly suggest revisiting your structure to address this problem. If I’ve misinterpreted and you’re going for fantastic design, then forgive my vehemence and press on at your own whim.

UPDATE!!!!

Thanks to kurigan's comment I've modified the broadsides so that the spacing between each gunport is even :pir_laugh2:

7248266604_cf9d2fc672_z.jpg

Next major update I think maybe after my school exam?

Edited by hobbes5a

Just tore down the weather deck and did some work on the interior. One think I'm not really sure is that how am I going to build the weatherdeck, because I would like it to be modular. But anyway, I think what is still missing is the hatch, guess I'll put it on as soon my school exam's over.

7301502424_29c01f49ec_z.jpg

UPDATE!!

I've finished the hold and the gundeck just after my school exam, add the stairs and the main hatch, as well as more details and the floor of the decks are now more even. (compared with the previous updates)

overall view

7465486336_4ff70bf53e_z.jpg

Thats the main hatch and the stairs

7465486182_13b63de0e1_z.jpg

Nice! your planning on creating this in real life?

This is the most recent update, reworked on the hold and the gundeck, as well as the great cabin. There won't be updates until April 2013 since I need to have my public examination (HKDSE) .....sigh... :pir_bawling:

But um... anyway, here it is.

7929703182_f82e3eab30_z.jpg

C&C are always welcomed. :pir_laugh2:

It looks great, do you think it's ready for the real brick ?

The biggest part of this ship looks excellent :thumbup:

The stern and the bow could use some work though (IMO).

I think you could try to make the side galleries less edgy, more round and smooth.

And the figurehead seems quite low. It should end at the same level as the top of the rail.

Good luck!

Hi guys, long time no see. Gonna need some help here. As you can see, there is a huge gap here

8059264260_00a48a3d68_c.jpg

and here

8059266287_4980bd5f3a_c.jpg

I've tried to close the first one with normal plates but, sadly, it didn't work. As for the second one, I have no idea what to do.

Thanks in advance!! =]

For the first one, using small wings as plates can be ok ?... it depends on your angle

For the second problem, if you increase the angle between the deck and the stern bulkhead, you can replace the part in the corner by a 1x2 pillar.

Sorry, I have trouble translating my idea...

For the first, have you tried using wedge plates? They have some studless that is usefull for that.

Thx, will try that on this coming weekend. (I am thinking about uploading the LXF file so that you all could have a clearer idea...)

For the first one, using small wings as plates can be ok ?... it depends on your angle

For the second problem, if you increase the angle between the deck and the stern bulkhead, you can replace the part in the corner by a 1x2 pillar.

Sorry, I have trouble translating my idea...

No worries, I sort of get it, will try that out. Thx=]

This is coming together nicely!

I se the yellow line is not evenly high everywhere and it is a bit too sraight, you can see this on your ship plans.

I'd suggest making the yellow line evenly high everywhere asnd make it slightly curved.

Good luck on the build! :thumbup:

Really really really bad news guy:

I've lost my LXF file of the ship......which means i have to start from scratches again :(

I know, all to well, your pain. Sincere sympathies. Is there any chance of a back up copy?