Combee

MOC: The Princess and the Pea

Hi guys,

This is a vignette from classic Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale "The Princess and the Pea" that I built for the 2012 MOCAthalon.

The princess spends a sleepless night on mattresses piled high. The prince's mother had been so kind to let her stay the night after being caught in the rain, but little did the princess know that all these mattresses did not mean comfort, for secretly hidden beneath them was a single pea and, as everybody knows, only a true princess could feel a pea under so many mattresses.

Link to the full gallery.

Your comments are welcome!

7033382267_7a0393419f_z.jpg

7033388429_8bb73d759a_z.jpg

7033384341_b7967f2e38_z.jpg

Great job! The look on the princess' face works perfectly :laugh: My favorite part is the fireplace, it really looks like fire!

Oh wow! This is just so cool. :well_done_back_pat:

All the details you have in here are spectacular. The canopy on the bed, the fireplace... awwwww... too much to mention. But the face you have chosen is just perfect. Really well done.

My daughters love the Princess and the pea story and love this Mary Poppins - they're looking through their books to see which story could be built.

Fantastic build! I love how realistic everything looks, particularly the fireplace. Did you use a light brick there?

Excellent MOC! I really like how you exagerated certain details of the bed. Really makes it look like a fairytale scene. Great job!

This looks great. The facial expression you used on the figure works great here. :laugh:

The floor was done nicely as well - I just can't figure out what the yellow piece on the bedside is, so... what is it? :tongue:

And suddenly I start remembering everything about this from long, long ago...

~ General Magma

Edited by General Magma

Thank you all for the wonderful responses! I really enjoyed building this :blush:

Fantastic build! I love how realistic everything looks, particularly the fireplace. Did you use a light brick there?

I did! I first built it without one but I noticed that it was kinda dark when I was taking pictures so I built one in :classic:

This looks great. The facial expression you used on the figure works great here. :laugh:

The floor was done nicely as well - I just can't figure out what the yellow piece on the bedside is, so... what is it? :tongue:

And suddenly I start remembering everything about this from long, long ago...

~ Wanky-wanky Winky

Thanks, I had a couple options for the face and I think this was the best! The yellow piece is a bow from the new Friends sets.

AWESOME and highly detailed creation (No Mary Poppin's from me) 'Combee'.....it does look like she has had a bad nights sleep....either it was the pea or my snoring next door ! :laugh:

Whoa, the fire is great. Do you have a lightbrick there also? The colors are great, love the brown, brass feeling.

Great job :tongue::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I love the proportions in this, the huge canopy and the really skinny posts. But the best part of this to me are the dresser legs, ingenious. All those mattresses look great stacked together like that, and the covers were done well too.

Love the whole diorama, especially the fireplace with the light brick.

Is there a possibility that you could take a picture of how the light brick was built into the fireplace?

With your permission, maybe I'd like to use that idea for a future MOC. So could you please take a picture of how the light brick is intergrated into the fire place and PM it to me? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Love the whole diorama, especially the fireplace with the light brick.

Is there a possibility that you could take a picture of how the light brick was built into the fireplace?

With your permission, maybe I'd like to use that idea for a future MOC. So could you please take a picture of how the light brick is intergrated into the fire place and PM it to me? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Here's a couple of quick shots I took to show how it's done. I removed some of the flame pieces so you could see it better. It's pretty simple but the light brick adds a nice effect I think. Feel free to use this if you'd like :classic:

7042492521_1d92c8ec39_z.jpg

7042491289_c8d28232f7_z.jpg

7042491933_a236ae0bc6_z.jpg

Thank you very much. I'll let you know if I use this in one of my MOC's. :classic:

I'm extremely impressed with the general neatness of this whole build. Studs are left where studs belong, but nowhere else. ;J

Really, I think it's a beatiful thing and something which you can rightly take pride in. Thanks for sharing it with us. =)

Wow, that fire is impressive! It looks so real I'm expecting the bricks to melt! :tongue: Great MOC and scene.