Sign in to follow this  
wokajablocka

Dath Maul Portrait

I have updated and finished my Darth Maul Portrait that I will display at the Sydney Brick Show in Sydney, Australia on the 2 -3rd June. I originally made it for the Episode 1 community build.

darth_maul_portrait_final.jpeg

I bought a bulk lot and it had pink elements so I revisited the eyes to make them brighter and IMO they are much better. I also sorted more red and black plates to ad extra details. The mouth and chin are much better and tried to smooth the side of the face more.

What do you guys think?

I also build a Lego stand to display it and will update it with a pic when I can.

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hi guys,

Here is my entry for TPM CB.

3 weeks ago I started Darth Maul when my original idea become to hard after time and part constraints.

img_0093_2.jpg

I first started building a more simple design with my limited bricks, so I went back over it here and there when I had spare time to add extra details.

img_0036_2.jpg

Ultimately I would have loved to do the whole thing in single square plates but I have only used around 20 singles in the whole build. All other parts are 2x1 or larger which made it harder to get lines of the face correct. I spent a lot of time pulling parts in and out and replacing large areas of the same colour with larger plates and using the smaller ones for other places when I ran out of parts.

img_0055_2.jpg

Its pretty much finished but I still want to work a little more on it and display it at the Sydney Brick Show later this year in June.

Here is the original inspiration.

img_0069.jpg

Just glad to get something finished for the CB and I'm pretty happy with what I build from the parts I have.

Edited by wokajablocka

I was wondering when some more of these would start pouring in. Great job on this one! :thumbup: Did you use any of the conversion software or did you just eye it?

This looks really great, I've always liked mosaics. They eyes seem like the main focus in the reference picture, and I bet if you put some trans red pieces over the whites of the eyes, you could really get the pinkish kind of glow from the picture. Or make a hole and shine a light through it.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I was wondering when some more of these would start pouring in. Great job on this one! :thumbup: Did you use any of the conversion software or did you just eye it?

I originally took the first reference shot with the iPhone Lego photo app to break down the pixels into blocks, but as I didn't have 1x1 square plates I could not follow the design. I only used it for an approximate size reference then after that I didn't really use it at all and just looked at the main pic that I supplied at the bottom of my original post.

This looks really great, I've always liked mosaics. They eyes seem like the main focus in the reference picture, and I bet if you put some trans red pieces over the whites of the eyes, you could really get the pinkish kind of glow from the picture. Or make a hole and shine a light through it.

Im not that happy with the eyes and changed them a few times to get them to looking better. At the moment they are really too small but at the current scale of the build its hard to get the shapes right and get a bigger pupal and iris and have less white of the eyes. I do want to display it later in the year at a show so I want to get back on it when I have time and improve the design more. Hopefully I can pick up or order a few bricks as I want more dark red shading in the design but ran out of parts as usual.

If anyone else has some good ideas on improving the portrait you more than welcome to comment.

As all mosaics do they always look better from further away. I've updated my profile pic and it looks better small, even they eyes look better but still need work.

Edited by wokajablocka

Great work wokajablocka :thumbup:

Instantly recognisable, and all the more impressive considering that you had a limited amount of bricks available. I've never tried building a mosaic, but it must have taken a lot of time! Cheers, Robin :wink:

Very nicely done! :wub: When you look at the thumbnail, you can't even tell that some of the sections aren't the same as others.

Very nicely done! :wub: When you look at the thumbnail, you can't even tell that some of the sections aren't the same as others.

Thanks man, a little disappointed that I missed the blog spot but it works really well as my avatar. I was due for a change.

I had fun building this though and want to do another in the future. I learnt a bit while making it like 'don't push the parts into position until your completely happy with it'. You know how hard it is getting a part out of the middle, the brick separator won't help you.