So here is the pic review of:

Name: Cargo train deluxe
Ref: 7898
Theme: Train
Year: 2006
Pieces: 856
Minifigs: 5
Price: about 150€
Spécifities: a 9V version (with “old” 9V motor and the train wagon bottom ref. 3737)

Posted Image
This is a general view of the set. I want to start saying that this train is not the IR version but a classic 9V version (just needed a motor and a train bottom). But I have tried the IR system just to see how it works. And the fact that there is no link, it is pleasant for the playability. The sound is fun too! But 12 batteries are too much, and you need a screwdriver to put the 3 batteries on the remote, bad!

So now, just see the 9V version!
Posted Image
This is what you find in the very big box, with 7 books for each parts. But why don’t they make just one book with all the instruction on it? I dunno…

Posted Image
Posted Image
Here it is the locomotive. It looks good with its oldish style! My 9V version is just shorter of 2 studs, what could be seen with the two noises, with just 1 stud on the top, and not 2. But that doesn’t affect the overall look. I’ve used the 1x2 green bricks with stripes for the middle of the loco (where normally you find the IR led) and some black pieces to put under the base of the loco, between the bogies. Without the batteries base, there is a lot of space in the loco. I will make a “motor”…

Posted Image
Here we have the wagon with the crane
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
You have some wedges under the wagon to stabilize it when you put down something heavy… But the red car seems to be just light enough for the system (maybe this is the reason why it is a cab, with fewer pieces than a closed car…). The system of the crane and the hook for the car are simple but effective.

Posted Image
And here, the wagon with the car. Really simple! And this is my first set with a missing part! In fact I just have 3 white rims, and the fourth has taken another train maybe… But I will receive one in a week!

Posted Image
This wagon is nice too, with some old doors. But the fact that it is build on a base plate and not a train base, brings it more flexibility, so it is not so solid (more flexible).

Posted Image
Posted Image
And here the last wagon, with its two sides which can be open, so the grey parts can fall down. Just notice the ballet and the shovel.

Posted Image
The transpallet looks nice with its dark grey carboy.

Posted Image
The blue truck is very nice, with its two rear view mirrors. You can put two pallets on it and use the red vehicle to put them in the red wagon like in the pictures below.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
You have also some inclined grey pieces to permit the vehicles to cross the rails.

And now some pics to show the differences between the 4512 and the 7898 cargo trains:

Posted Image
Here we have the same kind of wagon. I find the older version (left) better. It has a better look and the sides can be open easier and they are stronger than in the new one (right).

Posted Image
The older version (left) is built on a train base, so it is less flexible, and longer with a cabin. And we have some plates in it that prevent the pallets to be fixed in the base. But the two look good, with a different personality.

Posted Image
Here we have two tanspallets. And the first thing we see is the difference of size. The old version (left) is smaller and without top. The wheels are also bigger in the new one (the bigger wheels in the old version are the smaller in the new version!). So, the new one is more stable when it raises something.

Finally, this new cargo train is a good set. It has a different style from the older one, even if we find some same wagons, which made it a good addition for a town for a second train (and for a first one too, of course!).
All the elements like the blue truck and its pallets, the transpallet, the crane and the car wagon and the crossing way give this set a good playability with a very nice general look.
But there are some bad things in this set. First, the doors’ glasses are totally transparent, when the others are transblack… And in the instruction books, it is hard to see the studs of the black pieces, this is not always practical. And for the IR system, I will not say a word; this is not the theme of this review (just if somebody is interested in the IR system, I have one that I don’t use…), but I don’t find the price lower than a 9V version would be.

And just for the fun:
Posted Image

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#2 snefroe

snefroe

• waisted plastic

Member: 230

Posted 30 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

great review! we're finally getting nicely detailed sets it seems! *sweet*  i like the blue truck the most... it's a shame they didn't produce a seperate set like this... :'-)  what i don't like is this concept of a cargo train: it's got too many different types of wagons: one with a crane, one with a car, and two others that don't really belong together. i'd prefer 4 wagons of one type, but that's probably too boring for lego... :'-(

#3 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

Member: 839

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Nice review Alex.

I really wantg this train and I'm going to ask it for my birthday.
I will keep the IR motor because I will be running it on 12v track
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#4 Darthking623

Darthking623

Member: 1015

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:15 PM

Great review r u goin to add this train to your city?

#5 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:34 PM

Great review, thanks Alex!

What I like most are the small stickers on the side of the waggons. They look very realistic (for European waggons, that is).

I agree with sne on the many different waggon types. A train with a few waggons of the same type wouldn't look all too bad and different colors could add variety. But the closed waggon looks simple enough to MOC.

If the set weren't that expensive I'd almost consider it...

#6 Asuka

Asuka

• Pictural Poet

Member: 816

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:57 PM

Thank you for this wonderful review of a beautyful train set.  *y*

#7 Serengeti

Serengeti

Member: 1040

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

View Posthighlandcattle, on Oct 30 2006, 04:53 PM, said:

Nice review Alex.

I really wantg this train and I'm going to ask it for my birthday.
I will keep the IR motor because I will be running it on 12v track

IR trains are good for 12v people.  :-)

Does this train come in 9v version too as it is implied in alex's review? i want another train!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#8 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:26 AM

Calvin, I don't think that TLC will sell this train in a 9V version. If you want one, you have to buy a 9V motor.

Hobbes, I agree with you for the stickers, they bring a touch of realism.
But contrary to you and Sne, the fact that we have some diferrent wagons don't appear like a problem to me. In fact, with th same kind of wagons, the train would be more boring (and I think for the children too, the first market of TLC). But it would be nice to find the same wagons as individual sets, so if you want more than 1 red wagon, you can!

Sne, yes the blue truck is very nice! I know that I would buy this set even if it wasn't here, but is was a good reason to persuade me and my conscience when I saw the price :-D

Darthking623, yes I will put it in my town! But no now (I don't have the time for the moment to build it... :'-( )

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 L'Exocet

L'Exocet

Member: 466

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thank you Alex for your review! Now I'm even more sure I need to get this soon...

One question's been bothering me for some time now. Before and at the time when IR trains were released, there was some speculation whether or not one could use 1,2v rechargerable batteries in them. I don't remember anyone saying anything about that since, but has someone tried?

"Next stop, a beautiful town of St. Mary!"

#10 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Retired

Member: 359

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

View PostL'Exocet, on Oct 31 2006, 10:22 AM, said:

One question's been bothering me for some time now. Before and at the time when IR trains were released, there was some speculation whether or not one could use 1,2v rechargerable batteries in them. I don't remember anyone saying anything about that since, but has someone tried?
I dare say they'll definitely work. Non-rechargeables don't give you much more than 1.2V, either, 1.5V is the nominal voltage. And most electrical devices (not just LEGO) can work with that since the average progress of stress is around 1.2V (+/- 0.3V).

If you want to use rechargeables, use NiMH. They last longer, have more energy density and thus are available in capacities of up to 2700 mAh for AAs which is close to or more than a standard 1.5V AA (2200 to 2850 mAh). They also come without heavy metals (like Cadmium). Just make sure you use a charger that recognizes them and turns off after they're fully loaded. You can damage them by overloading.

#11 Mr Hobbles

Mr Hobbles

Member: 1458

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:21 AM

It's a very nice set!  I love almost everything, except the forklift truck, hopper wagon, and of course the IR system.  It's the reason I went with 4512 as my first train instead of this.  But I might consider buying this in the future and keeping it IR, just to mess around with.

#12 Ruben

Ruben

Member: 1427

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:42 AM

Great and nice review. *y*  :-)
I like lego

Posted Image

#13 MatthewUSA

MatthewUSA

Member: 1446

Posted 18 April 2007 - 07:51 AM

I would agree with everyone.  Nice job on the review  *y* .  The two IR sets made me concerned though.  I am concerned that TLC will fade out the 9V system and bring in this system.  I will be very  >:-( if they do.  I don't understand why TLC didn't research more into using both technologies together.  Some how create a system similar to the model railroad industry.  This industry uses both technologies together.  I really think that if TLC could combine both, the train system would be a huge success for them.  More people would look at it as a hobby, not a toy.  I hope they have been doing research for 2007 or 2008.  Maybe if enough of us mention it to them, they might look into it.  I really hope they do not discontinue the 9V line.

#14 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:19 AM

Nice review Alex.  Thanks for taking the time to post these images.  I really like this train, but passed on it because it's not 9V.

#15 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

Member: 257

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:18 AM

Thanks for the great review, Alex!  :-)   This looks like a very tempting set with a lot of nice features (and tempting parts!).  I'll agree with the sticker argument, and I'm glad you switched out the tracks.  Those new dark bley ones without metal are just  :-X   They look so cheap  :-/

It's a great set overall, I'd get it if the other themes weren't stealing all my money  :'-(

#16 alex54

alex54

• CC reducer, city expander

Member: 560

Posted 19 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the new comments!
This set is really nice in fact. And I think that it's too bad to pass on it just because it's a RC train, because it's so easy make it a 9V one. Okay, you not only need some imagination, but some money too for the 9V motor... ;-) But I think that is worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users