10 replies to this topic

#1 Darkblane

Darkblane

Member: 10682

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

Posted Image
Tower Bridge
Landmark Series

Tower Bridge is one of the most iconic buildings in London and the United Kingdom.

Whilst LEGO have already produced an official Tower Bridge set, it was designed at a much larger scale than their Architecture sets and therefore takes up a lot more room. Not everyone has room for the offical set, so I thought I'd create a smaller microscale / architecture scale version.

Like the official LEGO set, this isn't the full bridge as there's another section of road at either end which connects the bridge to either side of the river. If these were included, the overall length of the set would be doubled and other than a repetition of the blue and white railings and two more stone arches, these sections wouldn't actually add that much to the overall model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe not the best photo of the real bridge, but this is one I took in 2009:

Posted Image

There are more photos on Flickr: Tower Bridge

Edited by Rufus, 04 April 2012 - 08:43 PM.
Indexed

#2 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

Member: 12542

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:39 AM

This is great. Very reminiscent of  10230 Mini Modulars. You did a nice job of shrinking down the Tower Bridge.
Clone Army-120 & counting...

GS Red Squad Relief Fund- Donate today!

#3 viracocha

viracocha

• Mmmm forbidden donut

Member: 27322

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

As far as I understood it is the working model of the Tower Bridge? I mean the Bridge can be raised and lowered. I like the nice small details as windows and vehicles!

#4 Darkblane

Darkblane

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

View Postviracocha, on 24 March 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

As far as I understood it is the working model of the Tower Bridge? I mean the Bridge can be raised and lowered.

Yes, the middle sections of road are connected to the towers via hinge plates at 90 degrees (which is why the distance between the two towers isn't a nice simple whole number of studs). The model with the road lowered can be seen here.

#5 CamelBoy68

CamelBoy68

Member: 11582

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Great work  :thumbup: , love the bus

Posted Image

Please support this project at: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/71401

Check out my Flickr page or my Blog

#6 Redhead1982

Redhead1982

Member: 23488

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

That's a great design of Tower Bridge in microscale. It looks fantastic with all the details, and fits with the Architecture series perfectly. Ski poles look great on the roof, and I wouldn't mind having a micro-scale one next to the official LEGO Tower Bridge. Well done! :thumbup:
Flickr!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#7 JimBee

JimBee

• Bubbler

Member: 2436

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Very impressive entry, Darkblane. Everything seems to flow nicely, especially for a design that could've easily been done not as well. I like how the bridge actually raises/lowers, and also the little mini vehicles.

I would suggest that the blues in your model be changes to medium blue for accuracy, but in this case I think the regular blue gives a more regal look.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Currently playing Hybros, 53-year-old male imp Chi Monk in the Heroica RPG

Currently playing Jerry Bergeron in Red Menace Mafia
Stats | Bio

#8 Darkblane

Darkblane

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

View PostJimButcher, on 25 March 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

I would suggest that the blues in your model be changes to medium blue for accuracy ...

The only problem with using medium blue is the lack of certain parts like the plates with clips / hinges (for example Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Clip Horizontal on End) which are needed on the railings.

Also for accuracy, I don't think the River Thames has ever actually been quite so blue :)

#9 Solscud007

Solscud007

Member: 12637

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I think this looks amazing.

#10 Leo-J

Leo-J

Member: 12259

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Nice!
Need bricks? Come shop in The Brick Hubâ„¢.

#11 Padme#1

Padme#1

Member: 16651

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:41 AM

View PostDarkblane, on 23 March 2012 - 11:40 PM, said:

Posted Image
Tower Bridge
Landmark Series

Tower Bridge is one of the most iconic buildings in London and the United Kingdom.

Whilst LEGO have already produced an official Tower Bridge set, it was designed at a much larger scale than their Architecture sets and therefore takes up a lot more room. Not everyone has room for the offical set, so I thought I'd create a smaller microscale / architecture scale version.

Like the official LEGO set, this isn't the full bridge as there's another section of road at either end which connects the bridge to either side of the river. If these were included, the overall length of the set would be doubled and other than a repetition of the blue and white railings and two more stone arches, these sections wouldn't actually add that much to the overall model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Maybe not the best photo of the real bridge, but this is one I took in 2009:

Posted Image

There are more photos on Flickr: Tower Bridge
That is a really good model! You can count me in for a vote!! :thumbup:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users