Power Miners vs. Rock Raiders

37 replies to this topic

Poll: In a fight between miners... (82 member(s) have cast votes)

Who do you think should win?

1. Rock Raiders. They were in the mining business longer. (31 votes [37.80%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.80%

2. Power Miners. Brightly colored vehicles and uniforms FTW! (33 votes [40.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.24%

3. Neither. Rock Monster will always prevail in the end! (18 votes [21.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

Which drill vehicle is more powerful?

1. The Granite Grinder (18 votes [31.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

2. The Thunder Driller (40 votes [68.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.97%

Which base is mightier?

1. The Rock Raiders HQ (41 votes [70.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 70.69%

2. Power Miners Underground Mining Station (17 votes [29.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 has a differing opinion

has a differing opinion

Member: 19004

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostOky, on 26 March 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

The RR didn't have chrome crystals, only chrome drills. They were the same bright green ones that also appeared in the PM sets.
Sorry I was thinking of space port chrystals. :laugh:

#27 Calanon

Calanon

Member: 7327

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

View Posthas a differing opinion, on 27 March 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

Sorry I was thinking of space port chrystals. :laugh:
And Aquanauts! :P

I vote for Rock Raiders, they have my heart! Probably one of my favourite themes.

"No. What I'm saying is that Wales should be completely removed from the planet." - Pinioncorp, 9th October 2011.

Claire Novak in Red Menace

#28 Suspsy

Suspsy

Member: 20455

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:13 PM

The Power Miners have this one all wrapped up. Better vehicles, better monsters. Would've been nice to have had a female member though.

#29 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Member: 20752

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:31 PM

I voted for the Rock Raiders, but I'll willingly admit that my vote was influenced by the fact that the Rock Raiders torsos and set pieces are, in general, more useful for MOCing, and perhaps a bit of nostalgia there, too....

I wish I'd have bought about 10 more of the Rock Raiders minifig packs when they were available, because the "Docs" torso is perfect for the basic troops of my Neo-Confederate army in my LEGO setting.  As a matter of fact, that's pretty much the first thing I thought of when I saw Docs was "Sweet!  Now I can have some rebs to fight my cavalry!"  Furthermore, the Jet head is one of the better Classic LEGO female printed heads and I wish I had a few more on hand (The one I do I used for the Commandant of the Federal Marine Corps)...

Genderfluid and proud of it.

"Wot's faster than a warbuggy, more killy than a warbike, and flies through da air like a bird? I got no bleedin' idea, but I'm gonna find out."  - Kog da Flymek, pioneer of the Deffkopta

#30 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostHikaro Takayama, on 27 March 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

I voted for the Rock Raiders, but I'll willingly admit that my vote was influenced by the fact that the Rock Raiders torsos and set pieces are, in general, more useful for MOCing, and perhaps a bit of nostalgia there, too....
This is definitely true for me, too, but that's typically how I judge most LEGO themes. :laugh:

I wish I'd have bought about 10 more of the Rock Raiders minifig packs when they were available, because the "Docs" torso is perfect for the basic troops of my Neo-Confederate army in my LEGO setting.  As a matter of fact, that's pretty much the first thing I thought of when I saw Docs was "Sweet!  Now I can have some rebs to fight my cavalry!"  Furthermore, the Jet head is one of the better Classic LEGO female printed heads and I wish I had a few more on hand (The one I do I used for the Commandant of the Federal Marine Corps)...
Bricklink is your friend!

#31 has a differing opinion

has a differing opinion

Member: 19004

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostCalanon, on 27 March 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

And Aquanauts! :P

I vote for Rock Raiders, they have my heart! Probably one of my favourite themes.
Yep, and aquanauts.

Also, the power miners rock monsters are really not fierce enough. The online cartoons make them about a threatening as a teddy bear!

#32 Dannylonglegs

Dannylonglegs

• Likes pinching Klingons

Member: 5222

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

Rock Raiders and Aquanauts FTW! Nostalgia's the best man! I personally think the Rock Raiders win for one reason (aside from nostalgia): they're from the future! They have a blasted space craft! The power miners have better drills? Nuke 'em from orbit with "mining equiptment." The rock monsters don't have much of a chance either.
~Insectoid Aristocrat

Here's my Flickr account.

/|\_M_/|\
|

#33 Behind the Camera

Behind the Camera

Member: 27099

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:10 AM

Personally, I like Rock Raiders better than Power Miners, mainly because the characters in Rock Raiders were more developed and that theme was very unique (even though I like the rock monsters in the Power Miners sets better).
Mustache Maniacs Film Co.: Films you will go 'Crazy' over!
Visit Today!

#34 zewy623

zewy623

Member: 21731

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

This is a bit off topic... But with all the debate of which is better, I think Lego needs to come out with a third line of mining (and no, not city) and make it better then PM and RR!!

#35 Zarkan

Zarkan

• Greviously Renamed Gungan

Member: 569

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I actually made a topic a while back explaining why I thought Power Miners was way better than Rock Raiders. It was a big wall of text, so I think I'll just post a link. And for those of you who don't want to read through it, I'll post a brief summary as well. :tongue:

1. Power Miners uses less specalized pieces than Rock Raiders. Needless to say, PM never had any part as offensive as the giant base used for the Loader Dozer and Chrome Crusher.

2. Power Miners has more variety than Rock Raiders. Seriously, nearly every sizeable vehicle in RR used the exact same brown cockpit and chrome drill. Whereas in Power Miners, there was incredible variety in the various vehicle designs and drilling mechanism

3. Power Miners had better rock monsters than Rock Raiders. I always thought the monsters in RR looked like big piles of mud, and they can't even compare to the personality and poseability of PM's monsters.

4. Power Miners has more detail than Rock Raiders. PM blew me away with its usage of greebling, and I can't say the same thing about RR.

5. Power Miners has better functions than Rock Raiders. Two words: gear functions. I'll take the jackhammer of the new Granite Grinder and the spinning drill of the Thunder Driller over the lightup lasers of RR.

Edited by Zarkan, 16 April 2012 - 03:56 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 legomylego

legomylego

Member: 28137

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:04 PM

Nice. i am going for the power miners because they have advanced technology.

#37 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostZarkan, on 16 April 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

I actually made a topic a while back explaining why I thought Power Miners was way better than Rock Raiders. It was a big wall of text, so I think I'll just post a link.
Some good points. I agree with all of them. :thumbup:

View Postlegomylego, on 23 April 2012 - 02:04 PM, said:

Nice. i am going for the power miners because they have advanced technology.
What do you mean by advanced technology? If you ask me, the RR were much more advanced. They had lasers, hover technology, teleportation, and space travel.

#38 Algernon

Algernon

• Not a Doofus

Member: 2558

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

This is clearly a silly debate, but what the heck! My rebuttal.  :tongue:

View PostZarkan, on 16 April 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

1. Power Miners uses less specalized pieces than Rock Raiders. Needless to say, PM never had any part as offensive as the giant base used for the Loader Dozer and Chrome Crusher.
That part actually has its uses, and I still see the large brown roll cage used in steam punk MOCs to this day. All LEGO parts are useful if you just use a little imagination.  :wink:

2. Power Miners has more variety than Rock Raiders. Seriously, nearly every sizeable vehicle in RR used the exact same brown cockpit and chrome drill. Whereas in Power Miners, there was incredible variety in the various vehicle designs and drilling mechanism
True, but the RR approach was much more realistic than the Power Miners approach. A lot of the PM mining tech seemed impractical, like the arm-swinging claw machine from the first wave (forgot the name).

I'll give you the functionality point, though. PM had a lot of that.

3. Power Miners had better rock monsters than Rock Raiders. I always thought the monsters in RR looked like big piles of mud, and they can't even compare to the personality and poseability of PM's monsters.
I have to say that I disagree. The rock monsters from Power Miners were more like annoying little gremlins. The RR baddies were gigantic, mysterious rock creatures that were more like rare encounters than the primary threat (only included in two sets, after all). Plus, I think their design is a lot more imposing, even if it's less detailed.

4. Power Miners has more detail than Rock Raiders. PM blew me away with its usage of greebling, and I can't say the same thing about RR.
Bear in mind that Power Miners is a more recent theme, when such construction techniques became more common. When RR was released, their level of detail was pretty standard.

5. Power Miners has better functions than Rock Raiders. Two words: gear functions. I'll take the jackhammer of the new Granite Grinder and the spinning drill of the Thunder Driller over the lightup lasers of RR.
I don't know about that! The Lightup lasers are awesome pieces. But you're right, the Power Miners had some great functionality.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users