I just bought the 9395 tow truck and I noticed that there aren't any reviews here on EB. Is this set really that bad that it doesnt't deserve any attention?

I am thinking about building the B-model first, but there are no videos or any information about it. I would like to know how many bricks are left-over when building the B-model and also about the functions.

There is a review in Brickset.com

It does seem like a good set to me :classic: Price is also good. In fact when I compare 9395 and 9397, the 9397 seems somewhat overpriced.

It does seem like a pretty decent set to me, especially in terms of price. Just that nobody's done a photo review yet; there are a fair few sets that haven't got one... maybe you could do one? :wink:

My wife got the set... IMO, it is a pretty nice set... I think it was well designed for it's size... The only thing that I don't like about it is if you are going to motorize it, the motor kind of hangs off of the rear end... But motorizing this small model really isn't really necessary anyways...

But motorizing this small model really isn't really necessary anyways...

And so the gearbox is pointless, and so the model isn't that well designed.

I would say that motorizing the model is pointless based on the simplistic functions(and ugly appearance when the motor is installed) , but the gearbox does do what it's supposed to as it It selects between 2 functions, which as far as I can tell works properly...

I like the looks of the 9395 (except for the see-through engine hood, wtf?) but other that that it really has no notable functions. The tow mechanism isn't interesting from a technical point-of-view; it's a worm gear that raises/lowers a beam (without even an innovative worm gear casing). It's also unplayable because the truck can't turn when towing another vehicle. The other function is rolling up a string...

However, I love the black panels and liftarms that I now have :grin:

I haven't built the b-model yet.

I would say that motorizing the model is pointless based on the simplistic functions(and ugly appearance when the motor is installed) , but the gearbox does do what it's supposed to as it It selects between 2 functions, which as far as I can tell works properly...

IMO the gearbox is in this model just for the motorisation. The designer could made a very simple model with simple functions, without the motorisation (like the Backhoe 8069 last year).

I think he had received orders from TLG because last year no sets could add the power function set 8293.

Take a look at the box, it is a very good main model in my estimation. 'b' model, ho-hum...kind of odd-looking, never seen anything like it on the road.

I just bought the 9395 tow truck and I noticed that there aren't any reviews here on EB. Is this set really that bad that it doesnt't deserve any attention?

I am thinking about building the B-model first, but there are no videos or any information about it. I would like to know how many bricks are left-over when building the B-model and also about the functions.

@Hedgie-

Somebody did a mod to make the tow lift swivel left or right, can't recall exactly its been a while, but I think it was JunkstyleGio, but it was posted here probably in Dec or Jan, might check down the posts a ways...I have it in pdf format in my Lego File, but cannot figure out how to upload it, though JSG might have copyright protected it too, holler out to him and see if he has it in his files and can repost it...

I like the looks of the 9395 (except for the see-through engine hood, wtf?) but other that that it really has no notable functions. The tow mechanism isn't interesting from a technical point-of-view; it's a worm gear that raises/lowers a beam (without even an innovative worm gear casing). It's also unplayable because the truck can't turn when towing another vehicle. The other function is rolling up a string...

However, I love the black panels and liftarms that I now have :grin:

I haven't built the b-model yet.

Edited by TechnicFreak

@ Hedgie: JunkstyleGio's two 9395 Modifications can be seen on his Brickshelf gallery. His PDF instructions for the "Hinged Loading Platform" was posted on the (now defunct) MegaUpload website, per this Eurobricks post. I have that file, and uploaded it to SkyDrive here (565 KB).

P.S. There is a nice review of the 9395 Technic Pick-Up Tow Truck set on TechnicBRICKS.

9395_loadingplatform_mod.jpg

Edited by DLuders

@ Hedgie: JunkstyleGio's two 9395 Modifications can be seen on his Brickshelf gallery. His PDF instructions for the "Hinged Loading Platform" was posted on the (now defunct) MegaUpload website, per this Eurobricks post. I have that file, and uploaded it to SkyDrive here (565 KB).

Thank you for that, I will surely try that out when I rebuild it. The mechanism seems a little flaky so I wonder how much weight it can handle. And without weight there wouldn't be a reason to use Blakbird's instruction to put on tandem wheels, would there?

Edited by Hedgie

@ Hedgie: Since the 9395 Tow Truck has an American appearance to it, it is best that it have four wheels on the rear axle (to be more realistic):

tow_trucks_7.jpg

Good compact review Paul.

As this was my first set to drag me out of dark ages, I made a photo instructions of motorizing it with just the pieces of 9395 and 8293 PF set.

They can be seen here: http://laurisklavins.blogspot.com/2012/08/upgraded-9395-b-model-with-power.html

When I finally will make a normal video and photo instructions of my 9395 RC version (seen here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74488&hl=%2Bmani+%2Blego+%2Bdarin%C4%81jumi), I'll try to further modify and RC the 9395-B version as well.

In my opinion this is really good set if you want to drag someone out of dark ages - just present the person with a box of #9395 :laugh: tested on myself!

Excellent set IMO, it is styled after an American tow truck with the snout nose styling. Many good features, only thing is exchanging a pin on the wheel lift on the back so it can swivel left or right. I saved the info that somebody brought to the attention of the group in a topic long ago, but I don't quite know how to attach it, but really all you were asking if it is a good set and it is definitely. The b model is, well different, but not a bad alternate model either. If you are interested in it, I'd get it soon as these sets seem to retire faster, thus an upcharge, right now it is going for $69.97. My local TRU stores have it in stock and TRU online gives you the Lego MSRP right now and Lego S@H has it also.

I really enjoyed building this, it looks good, and my three year old loves it, but then he loves anything with a tow hook.

Once built, this set is pretty 'meh'. Limited functions, no double rear tyres, the ratchet on the winch is crappy.

Fun build though.

Edited by andythenorth

I got this truck too. Its on display at the moment, but its going to be the first one to be choped up for parts. Its a fun build, looks great, but it does not have that WOW factor.

On the other side it is a very good set for parts. It can be picked up for very decent money these days.

It's a fairly good set. Basic functions but great looks in my opinion! The only real downside is the V4 fake engine... It really needs at least a V6.

@DLuders - good thing I saved the wheel lift swivel to my Lego file, you are right about the need for dualies on the back of the tow truck, all American ones have dualies on the back. I'm not sure how to implement them without the one wheel on each side sticking out from the body of the truck since their is a diff controlling the wheels.

@Samanen - I agree, it should have at least a V6 engine. I've never seen a regular duty tow truck without at least a 6 in it.

It's a fairly good set. Basic functions but great looks in my opinion! The only real downside is the V4 fake engine... It really needs at least a V6.

I see you have the 8109 Flatbed on your profile picture...I have always wondered why that set didn't have an engine at all, especially considering the size of the set. I love the truck, but it really needs an engine...

I don't really like this set, I got it for a Christmas present and I decided to exchange it last week for 42006 which was the same price :) 42006 is way nicer for the money.

@DLuders - good thing I saved the wheel lift swivel to my Lego file, you are right about the need for dualies on the back of the tow truck, all American ones have dualies on the back. I'm not sure how to implement them without the one wheel on each side sticking out from the body of the truck since their is a diff controlling the wheels.

@Samanen - I agree, it should have at least a V6 engine. I've never seen a regular duty tow truck without at least a 6 in it.

I see you have the 8109 Flatbed on your profile picture...I have always wondered why that set didn't have an engine at all, especially considering the size of the set. I love the truck, but it really needs an engine...

I think it's simply just because it would have been sooo out of scale. The 8109 is actually pretty small. There would maybe be room for a V4 as it is but that would be even more wrong than a V4 in the 9395 :sceptic:

Here's my dualie solution. It locks the axles so that they don't pop out:

13010006eb.jpg

Edited by Samanen

9395_v6_mod.jpg

Here is my V6 Mod. No alteration to the appearance of the body. Same exact stud length and width. Fenders are still attached securely, nothing lose.

Did you ever look at its chassis ?

There is absolutely no room left for any other mechanism in it...

Did you ever look at its chassis ?

There is absolutely no room left for any other mechanism in it...

I suppose so, but most on this scale have at least a bit of room for at least a V4.

I think it's simply just because it would have been sooo out of scale. The 8109 is actually pretty small. There would maybe be room for a V4 as it is but that would be even more wrong than a V4 in the 9395 :sceptic:

Here's my dualie solution. It locks the axles so that they don't pop out:

So, basically all you did is put longer axles on the rear and that's it?