Sign in to follow this  
Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed's Sci-Fi Classics

18827752062_cd24920d6a_z.jpg

Original Post: Inspired by some Brickarms weapons, I have decided to create a series of custom figures based on characters from 'classic' sci-fi movies. So far I have made four characters but am struggling to find the time to photograph them. First up is 'Gunslinger' played by Yul Brynner in the 1973 movie, Westworld...

The revolver is by Brickarms and the gunbelt is by BrickForge.

6977357783_9da130e230_z.jpg

Next up is Snake Plissken as played by Kurt Russell in John Carpenter's 1981 corker, Escape From New York...

6980587807_262176c3ea_z.jpg

6980587941_409788e632_z.jpg

Edited by Praiter Yed

Never seen the movie, but that doesn't make the fig any less awesome! :wub: Is that the Brickforge Holster I see?

LOL, oh that's awesome! The first time I saw Westworld was on TV when I was a kid, go Lego Yul Brynner! :laugh:

This is my new favourite thread! Especially because it's actually a "classic" movie and not just a popular one from a few years back. The figure is spot on. Can't wait to see the rest.... unless one of them is Zardoz... that I could probably do without.

Never seen the movie, but that doesn't make the fig any less awesome! :wub: Is that the Brickforge Holster I see?

Thanks K-nut. It's cool that you think the figure is good even though you haven't seen the movie (which despite being a bit dated, is actually very good) :thumbup:. And yes, that is the BrickForge holster.

LOL, oh that's awesome! The first time I saw Westworld was on TV when I was a kid, go Lego Yul Brynner! :laugh:

Thanks ED-209. I too saw Westworld on TV as a kid - that's what this project is all about... nostalgia :sweet:

This is my new favourite thread! Especially because it's actually a "classic" movie and not just a popular one from a few years back. The figure is spot on. Can't wait to see the rest.... unless one of them is Zardoz... that I could probably do without.

:laugh: I've not seen Zardoz for many years - not sure I ever figured out what it was about. And thank you.

DRAW!!

That's a great representation. Both faces work really well.

Thanks Gryphon Ink.

First post updated with Snake Plissken from Escape From New York

Wow, even if I'm not at all familiar with the source material but after a quick google search I must say you really did a great job capturing the overall look of this characters in minifigure form! The decal designs and finish look like authentic LEGO prints and even if they're custom-made they still retain the overall LEGO feel on them. And the facial expressions of both the Gunslinger and Snake really approximate the faces of the actors perfectly! (something TLG designers should learn from you, especially like this one when they completely missed the hotness of the source material :hmpf_bad: )

Excellent work, and I'm surely looking forward for more of your customs. :thumbup:

Superb figs as always! The only thing I remember about Westworld is that character, its been a good few years since I watched that one. Escape from NY and the slightly less good Escape from LA are films ive watched quite recently and your Snake is awesome, I really like those leg decals too!

Well done sir :wink:

Haha. Snake is awesome. The costume is spot-on. The face as well obviously. But I think it's the hair that really makes it perfect.

Wow, even if I'm not at all familiar with the source material but after a quick google search I must say you really did a great job capturing the overall look of this characters in minifigure form! The decal designs and finish look like authentic LEGO prints and even if they're custom-made they still retain the overall LEGO feel on them. And the facial expressions of both the Gunslinger and Snake really approximate the faces of the actors perfectly! (something TLG designers should learn from you, especially like this one when they completely missed the hotness of the source material :hmpf_bad: )

Excellent work, and I'm surely looking forward for more of your customs. :thumbup:

Thanks KDM. I felt it was very important for me to try to get the faces right for this project - I don't think TLG could justify paying someone for the amount of time I spent on them. In TLG's defence I personally think their faces are more hit than miss and in my limited experience the female faces are harder to design, possibly down to their smoother skin and lack of beards. :laugh:

Superb figs as always! The only thing I remember about Westworld is that character, its been a good few years since I watched that one. Escape from NY and the slightly less good Escape from LA are films ive watched quite recently and your Snake is awesome, I really like those leg decals too!

Well done sir :wink:

Thanks charlieboy. Yul Brynner puts in a very memorable performance - proof that actually being able to act is much better than sticking any old wooden actor into the role of an android. I've still not seen Escape form LA all the way through (that's not a judgement on the film, just bad timing on my part). Only in a film from the 1980's could they imagine we would be wearing skin-tight camo print jeans in 1997. :laugh:

Haha. Snake is awesome. The costume is spot-on. The face as well obviously. But I think it's the hair that really makes it perfect.

Thanks Ash. The hair does the job ok but I think Snake should really have a bit more of a demi-wave.

The 1976 sci-fi classic Logan's Run, although dated and somewhat flawed remains one of my favourite sci-fi movies to date. Maybe it's something to do with my age when I first saw it, or maybe it's something to do with the often edited scene when Logan says 'let's take all our clothes off before they freeze on to us' (gratuitous nudity ensues), that makes me still believe Jenny Agutter's Jessica 6 is arguably the hottest of the sci-fi babes.

KDM, just like Lego I've completely missed the hotness of the source material. :cry_sad: Although I'm pleased with how Michael York as Logan 5 turned out...

6991285175_7c96ef98f9_z.jpg

The 'flame gun' by Brickarms is the weapon that first gave me the idea for this project, it seems a bit odd that this would end up being the last one of the first batch (I will update this thread with more classic sci-fi customs in the future).

Edited by Praiter Yed

Hello!

Those characters are amazingly great! :classic: I have seen Escape from New York /L.A. and Logan's Run of coruse! Perfect capture of the movies heroes! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Haha, that's the perfect hair for Logan! Excellent work as usual, and Snake Plissken is great as well. Where did you get Logan's Sandman pistol?

I kind of promised myself I'd take it easy on complimenting these for a while in case I was going a bit overboard. Then you had to go and ruin it all by doing Logan's Run, a film I have really fond memories of (and not just because of certain Jenny Aggatur scenes). The costumes are fantastic, hair and faces spot on as well.

The only criticism I have is that I think they're missing something from their hands. :)

Edited by Ash

Hello!

Those characters are amazingly great! :classic: I have seen Escape from New York /L.A. and Logan's Run of coruse! Perfect capture of the movies heroes! :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks Legostein.

Haha, that's the perfect hair for Logan! Excellent work as usual, and Snake Plissken is great as well. Where did you get Logan's Sandman pistol?

Cheers ED-209. Logan's parting is actually on the wrong side, the generic Lego male hair may be more accurate, but seeing as his hair seems to get wilder throughout the film I decided this one worked OK. The gun is by Brickarms and I got it as part of a prize here on EB :sweet:

I kind of promised myself I'd take it easy on complimenting these for a while in case I was going a bit overboard. Then you had to go and ruin it all by doing Logan's Run, a film I have really fond memories of (and not just because of certain Jenny Aggatur scenes). The costumes are fantastic, hair and faces spot on as well.

The only criticism I have is that I think they're missing something from their hands. :)

You don't have to take it easy with the compliments :laugh:, but seriously, It's nice to know that there's some AFOLs who appreciate these old films. I'm guessing you've grown up on the same BBC2 & Channel 4 Sci-Fi seasons as me.

I decided it would be overkill to put crystals on their hands :wink: .

To celebrate the imminent release of Ridley Scott's (is it or isn't it an Alien prequel?) Prometheus, I decided to make an Ellen Ripley custom as part of my 'Sci-Fi Classics' project.

In 1979 I was too young to watch Alien at the cinema, but I remember being fascinated by the posters and knew even then that I had to watch this film. It must have been 4-5 years later when it had it's UK TV premier that I finally got to see it. Needless to say, it scared the sh!t out of me. The pacing was so slow I was convinced that Dallas would kill the Alien when he went into the ventilation system, of course I was wrong. Imo it's a shame that with three poor sequels it would be difficult for someone new to the movie to watch it without already knowing who survives :sceptic: .

I hope to do two more Ripley variants (a wip of the space-suit can be seen in my current signature) but for now here she is in her underwear :blush: . What could be more scary than being stalked by a killer alien when you're half naked?...

7279863210_fd1e683b24_z.jpg

Edited by Praiter Yed

Great custom! And yes, this is a prequel to Alien, though I don't believe there is an actual Alien in it anywhere. :tongue:

Great custom! And yes, this is a prequel to Alien, though I don't believe there is an actual Alien in it anywhere. :tongue:

Thanks K-Nut. I can't wait to see Prometheus :excited: - maybe there will be an 'Alien' at the end?

I'm really looking forward to it too. Though I guess I'll need to see Alien after. After looking her up, it looks pretty accurate! Nice work.

It's all great work, but I really love your Ripley and Snake! Classic Sci-fi is a great minifig theme.

Thanks Hobbestimus, I don't know about being a great minifig theme but I'm certainly having fun making them. Personally I think your pop-culture salad is a great minifig theme :wink:

I'm really looking forward to it too. Though I guess I'll need to see Alien after. After looking her up, it looks pretty accurate! Nice work.

Thanks Masked. Looks like us Brits are getting this movie before you guys for a change - I'm going watching it tomorrow :sweet:

I made these Planet of the Apes figs ages ago but was unhappy with the decal application. However, when I found them recently I decided that although not perfect, they are not as bad as I originally thought. I had also made four alternative face designs and an astronaut version of Taylor but these were ruined by the kids before the decals had dried :sceptic: ! The surviving version of Taylors Face (pictured) was supposed to represent when he says "Get your stinking paws off me...".

15807677513_8602c13bd2.jpg

15807676903_ccb1207bc6_n.jpg 16401741326_f0909ef8ac_n.jpg

Great job. Planet of the Apes and Logans Run both excellent!

Thanks for the comment - apologies for not replying sooner - I thought I was the only person interested in this topic :laugh:

Here's another from Planet Of The Apes...

17694599513_2939d4626e_z.jpg