Flying Dutchman hat on normal pirates

12 replies to this topic  – Started by Scyzoryk , Mar 01 2012 12:38 PM

#1 Scyzoryk

Scyzoryk

Member: 2576

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

So I was thoroughly going through the forums yesterday to see ANYTHING on the new 3817 The Flying Dutchman, and all I found was pictures of the box in the 2012 set topics. I was at Target yesterday and I happened to come across only one box left of it while getting Twisted Metal and Skyrim for PC (Have it beaten on Xbox but I wanna mod with Steam Workshop), and I bought it aswell.

The thing that caught my attention was the Dutchman's hat, for it was a tri-corner hat unlike anything I've seen before. I wondered: hmm this would look great with any other pirate minifigs. Sadly, if you want a review of the whole set itself, the bad news is I dumped everything but the Dutchman into my colorcoded bins after assembling, but the ship was a great piece, although the sail was cartoony. Now I'm SURE many of you pirate fans would love to know what the new hat would look like on a regular pirate so I took pictures for you, but mind you I don't have the fancy white background setup like most reviewers and members have, and I was using my Galaxy Nexus' camera:

Posted Image
(Yeah I know the minifigs printed beard doesn't match the black beard accessory, it's killing me too. But it's the only eye-oatched head I had in my grasp, since I was too lazy to get up.)

Posted Image
(From the side.)

Posted Image
(From the back.)

There you have it. The Flying Dutchman's hat makes a great addition to your pirate army, perhaps as a captain or a very fashionable buccaneer. I suggest you get the set, not only for the hat, but for the green ghost legs and the ship itself. The ship is great as a small boat if the sail is replaced with something less cartoonish. The island itself isn't so great; it's pretty boring.

Hope you guys enjoyed. :D
BDMF2DG4L(;

#2 Weil

Weil

Member: 18255

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

It's just the same mould as blackbeard's hat isn't it? http://www.bricklink...ML/poc007.jpg?1

Which is much more useful in black.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Raid on The Crown Tavern: Click images for the forum topic and more pics.

#3 Scyzoryk

Scyzoryk

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

View PostWeil, on 01 March 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

It's just the same mould as blackbeard's hat isn't it? http://www.bricklink...ML/poc007.jpg?1

Which is much more useful in black.

Oooh didn't know they had one of those. :O Thanks for letting me know! :$ But just in chase anyone wanted to see the green version I'll leave this up. There are no pictures of it aside from the box pics.
BDMF2DG4L(;

#4 Zeya

Zeya
  • Thinks He's a Stud

Member: 13511

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

Looks pretty good. That's one of the pieces that caught my eye in that set as well. I was also wondering how acceptable spongebob's hat would look on a regular minifig. Care to snap a photo of that for us?

I also thought that you could perhaps use Patrick's torso to make a fleshy pirate, maybe with some of the PotC fig parts, if the flesh color matches.

#5 Scyzoryk

Scyzoryk

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostZeya, on 01 March 2012 - 11:14 PM, said:

Looks pretty good. That's one of the pieces that caught my eye in that set as well. I was also wondering how acceptable spongebob's hat would look on a regular minifig. Care to snap a photo of that for us?

I also thought that you could perhaps use Patrick's torso to make a fleshy pirate, maybe with some of the PotC fig parts, if the flesh color matches.

Posted Image
BDMF2DG4L(;

#6 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostScyzoryk, on 02 March 2012 - 12:40 PM, said:

Posted Image
Spongebob's hat looks rather nice with that red lining and all. I'll wait to later this year for this set to be on sale before I buy it.
:jollyroger:
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#7 Scyzoryk

Scyzoryk

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:10 AM

View Posthalfpenguinhalflego, on 02 March 2012 - 07:17 PM, said:

Spongebob's hat looks rather nice with that red lining and all. I'll wait to later this year for this set to be on sale before I buy it.

Yeah the red lining is neat :D the blockly little skull doesn't bother me much.
BDMF2DG4L(;

#8 yys4u

yys4u

Member: 13441

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

That looks pretty cool! Sponge bobs hat I mean, the color for the rest looks a little off though. That is a flesh head on patricks body right?

**EDIT**

Looking at it again, I'm not so sure its the color that's off, I think it's that there is an old mans face on what should be a young man, or even a child's body haha

Edited by yys4u, 04 March 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#9 Smitty

Smitty

Member: 13027

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:37 AM

LOL.....I did the same thing a while back.....here are my versions. Enjoy!Posted Image

#10 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Please resize your pictures to 800x600 pixels max. as stated in the site guidelines.
A link to helpful tutorials is in my signature.

Already thanks!

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#11 BrickBrackBlock

BrickBrackBlock

Member: 17887

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

I dont like anything spongebob related, however, I love this hat on regular minifigures.

And a little off-topic: I love steam, what are you going to make on Steam Workshop for Skyrim?

#12 halfpenguinhalflego

halfpenguinhalflego

Member: 6437

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Damn, that printed beard is VERY off-putting. Why can't it just be a green coat, without the silly printed beard.
My FlickrPosted Image Posted Image  Posted Image

#13 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

View PostBig Cam, on 16 October 2011 - 03:29 PM, said:

I just looked at it closer and I think the dutchmens hat is going to be a huge success.
^^^^^^^^^ I totally called this.  :pir-classic:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links