Jump to content


How many and what kind of figs do you use to enhance your Death Star


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 moop

moop

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 28-June 11
    Member: 18727

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image

Oops on the title...

I know I've seen it discussed before, but I wanted to see pics and recommendations for what types of figs and how many anybody may recommend for enhancing the Death Star. I'm about to build mine but I want to add more to it. If this has already been discussed then forgive me but I'd love the input and advice.

#2 Apollo VI

Apollo VI

    Posts: 47
    Joined: 16-May 10
    Member: 10711
    Country: United States

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:34 AM

I bought three 7667 Imperial Dropships to supplement my Death Star with stormtroopers and shadow stormtroopers. If there's one thing minifig-wise that's lacking on the DS, it's stormies. You can put them anywhere... station them in the detention cell, have them working at control panels, have them shooting at Luke and Leia from across the "canyon", etc. You should have at least 10 stormtroopers scattered around your Death Star.

Actually, the one significant modification I did to my Death Star was move the "claw" machine, normally situated in its own room beneath the hangar, up to the hangar. This freed up a whole room, and I used it to stage a little shootout scene between four stormtroopers and four rebels (from 7668). If you move that claw out of the way and up into the hangar (you can fit it in there, trust me), you can free up an entire room and do whatever you want with it minifig-wise :sweet:

You will probably also want to fill your seats in the conference room. You can either get a bunch of imperial officers to make it like the real room, or you can be like me and use it as a joke room  :tongue: I put a bunch of main characters from non-Star Wars licensed themes, like Indiana Jones and Spongebob, and sat them around the table and called it "the Council of Fictional Characters"  :laugh: Whatever you decide, it's a good idea to fill those seats with minifigs, because the room looks empty if you don't.

There's also a little area at the bottom of the "canyon" where the lowest floor is very easily visible and doesn't have a ceiling right above it. I use that area as a cameo spot for Boba Fett. Actually, I use that whole bottom floor to store my bounty hunters. But just to let you know, that is a neat little space to stick a few minifigs for fun.

#3 moop

moop

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 28-June 11
    Member: 18727

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostApollo VI, on 26 February 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

I bought three 7667 Imperial Dropships to supplement my Death Star with stormtroopers and shadow stormtroopers. If there's one thing minifig-wise that's lacking on the DS, it's stormies. You can put them anywhere... station them in the detention cell, have them working at control panels, have them shooting at Luke and Leia from across the "canyon", etc. You should have at least 10 stormtroopers scattered around your Death Star.

Actually, the one significant modification I did to my Death Star was move the "claw" machine, normally situated in its own room beneath the hangar, up to the hangar. This freed up a whole room, and I used it to stage a little shootout scene between four stormtroopers and four rebels (from 7668). If you move that claw out of the way and up into the hangar (you can fit it in there, trust me), you can free up an entire room and do whatever you want with it minifig-wise :sweet:

You will probably also want to fill your seats in the conference room. You can either get a bunch of imperial officers to make it like the real room, or you can be like me and use it as a joke room  :tongue: I put a bunch of main characters from non-Star Wars licensed themes, like Indiana Jones and Spongebob, and sat them around the table and called it "the Council of Fictional Characters"  :laugh: Whatever you decide, it's a good idea to fill those seats with minifigs, because the room looks empty if you don't.

There's also a little area at the bottom of the "canyon" where the lowest floor is very easily visible and doesn't have a ceiling right above it. I use that area as a cameo spot for Boba Fett. Actually, I use that whole bottom floor to store my bounty hunters. But just to let you know, that is a neat little space to stick a few minifigs for fun.

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for. I picked up the new tie fighter today and those 3 extra minifigs will be great to implement. I was thinking of getting at least 10 Stormtroopers as well so that is nice to know. I love the idea of putting random minifigs in the conference room as well so thanks for that.

#4 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2193
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

View Postmoop, on 26 February 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Awesome, that is exactly what I was looking for. I picked up the new tie fighter today and those 3 extra minifigs will be great to implement. I was thinking of getting at least 10 Stormtroopers as well so that is nice to know. I love the idea of putting random minifigs in the conference room as well so thanks for that.
It's a good idea, but unfortunately, the 10188 figures don't have white pupils, so they look a bit odd next to each other.

My Flickr

Seen in Cosplay II Mafia as Mary Jane


#5 madoka

madoka

  • memory lapse power shopper


    Posts: 288
    Joined: 20-December 06
    Member: 1132

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

I recently bulked up on TIE Fighter Pilots and converted a bunch of AT-ST drivers to DS Technicians.  You can also add Imperial troopers and the new DS Trooper (which looks fantastic).

#6 mortesv

mortesv

    Posts: 371
    Joined: 21-December 11
    Member: 23416
    Country: Denmark

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 26 February 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

It's a good idea, but unfortunately, the 10188 figures don't have white pupils, so they look a bit odd next to each other.

In the latest shipment from Lego (2011) some of the 10188 minifigs do have white pupils - Han, Ben etc..

You can see what minifigs I have added to the set by seeing my answers in this thread  :wink:
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!

#7 moop

moop

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 28-June 11
    Member: 18727

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:53 PM

View Postmortesv, on 26 February 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

In the latest shipment from Lego (2011) some of the 10188 minifigs do have white pupils - Han, Ben etc..

You can see what minifigs I have added to the set by seeing my answers in this thread  :wink:

Thanks, that's some great ideas. It definitely seems like the best thing to get at first is a boatload of Stormies which is easy enough and not too expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by moop, 26 February 2012 - 08:57 PM.


#8 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1310
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:14 AM

I reckon you are in pretty good luck this year, pick up 9492 and 9489 and get these guys which is a great range of imperial characters for the DS, just wait for the sales and stock up

Posted ImagePosted Image
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#9 Tontus

Tontus

    Posts: 97
    Joined: 15-September 11
    Member: 20444

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

I use the droid repair bay as Vader's medical bay. There's a clip on the wall for his saber, a hanger  for his cape, and spaces to hold 2 spare helmets. Right now I have extra crispy Anakin on the bed and will replace it eventually with the FU "I just got my butt handed to me" Vader. He is being worked on by 2-1B and a custom made Chopper droid. I don't have FX-6 yet.

I only have 8 Stormies so far, but I feel like I need to have at least 20 in there. I'm also low on DSTs with only 3, plus an Imperial officer with a DST helmet manning the com station.

#10 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

    Posts: 1041
    Joined: 13-October 10
    Member: 13725
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

I attempt to fully populate each scene with character duplicates from other sets.  For example, Vader could be in four different areas (meeting room, watching Alderaan get destroyed, fighting Obi-Wan by the blast door, and battling Luke in the throne room.

#11 2comicboys

2comicboys

    Posts: 11
    Joined: 27-February 12
    Member: 26960

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I bulk up on the cheapest stormtrooper battlepack I can find!   :wink:

#12 into the blue

into the blue

    Posts: 207
    Joined: 01-August 11
    Member: 19414
    Country: UK

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:23 PM

Every Death Star needs a skivvy.

Edited by into the blue, 27 February 2012 - 09:26 PM.

See this? This... is my BOOMSTICK!

#13 mortesv

mortesv

    Posts: 371
    Joined: 21-December 11
    Member: 23416
    Country: Denmark

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

View PostStoutFiles, on 27 February 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

I attempt to fully populate each scene with character duplicates from other sets.  For example, Vader could be in four different areas (meeting room, watching Alderaan get destroyed, fighting Obi-Wan by the blast door, and battling Luke in the throne room.

This is exactly what I have done  :thumbup:   :wink:

It looks really awesome - and since you have such an expensive set why should it be half empty?  - At least that was my approach and, I have used around 200$ in extra minifigs  :wacko:
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!

#14 rakky

rakky

    Posts: 221
    Joined: 22-August 10
    Member: 12766

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

I just bought mine last week and have been trying to think of what to add to it as well, definitely need a load more stormies and another 2 deathstar troops, an imperial officer for each chair. Also i was thniking about buying a custom made deathstar gunner but they are soooo expensive.

#15 The_Chosen_1

The_Chosen_1

  • Keeps the ending secret


    Posts: 1443
    Joined: 11-June 11
    Member: 18398
    Country: USA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I went a bit crazy after I bought my Death Star last summer and amassed an army of about 80 Stormtroopers.  That's way more than necessary to fill out the Death Star, but it does look much better to have several squads of troopers on there (rather than just two!).  

I love the idea of having other licensed characters sitting around the conference table!!  I think I have a new display idea now.  :laugh:
Never tell me the odds!

#16 moop

moop

    Posts: 101
    Joined: 28-June 11
    Member: 18727

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:35 PM

View PostThe_Chosen_1, on 28 February 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

I went a bit crazy after I bought my Death Star last summer and amassed an army of about 80 Stormtroopers.  That's way more than necessary to fill out the Death Star, but it does look much better to have several squads of troopers on there (rather than just two!).  

I love the idea of having other licensed characters sitting around the conference table!!  I think I have a new display idea now.  :laugh:

holy.... I was thinking about 10-15 would do it but whoa. Any pics? cuz I'd love to see that.

#17 rakky

rakky

    Posts: 221
    Joined: 22-August 10
    Member: 12766

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:11 PM

80 in one deathstar, that sounds crazy, i sexond the photo idea, i would love to see how much roomm is left

#18 Handoyo

Handoyo

    Posts: 20
    Joined: 12-February 12
    Member: 26194

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm still in the process of building it, but I somehow think that LEGOs should be left alone on its own without modification. I know that may sound weird in this forum. Maybe cos I'm noob. :|

#19 rakky

rakky

    Posts: 221
    Joined: 22-August 10
    Member: 12766

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Each to their own dude, but the main reason it doesn't come with more is money constraints/wanting you to spend more to add to it. Mind you 24 minifigs is great (mousedroid probably shouldn't count though) :)

#20 mortesv

mortesv

    Posts: 371
    Joined: 21-December 11
    Member: 23416
    Country: Denmark

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

Well, I view the Death Star as the ultimate macho doll house. Thus people can fill with anything they like - as long as it is Lego and NOT pink  :tongue:
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!

#21 rakky

rakky

    Posts: 221
    Joined: 22-August 10
    Member: 12766

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

what about Lego Friends?

#22 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

  • Honest as Abe


    Posts: 2192
    Joined: 17-April 09
    Member: 5831
    Country: USA

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postmortesv, on 29 February 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Well, I view the Death Star as the ultimate macho doll house. Thus people can fill with anything they like - as long as it is Lego and NOT pink  :tongue:

Pfft. I'll put pink stuff in there if I want. You can't oppress me!   :tongue:

Actually, it's a moot point for me, since I don't yet have the Death Star, but I do hope to get one soon; if so, I'll definitely add plenty of minifigures to it, particularly additional stormtroopers.

#23 brick god

brick god

    Posts: 32
    Joined: 16-July 11
    Member: 19072
    Country: USA

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

View Postrakky, on 29 February 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

what about Lego Friends?

Haha I put some of the lego friends pets in my millennium falcon, its very charming
Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users