Sign in to follow this  
mephistopheles

[WIP] My first Medieval House

Hi all!

So I've seen that posts following the progression of a MOC aren't uncommon. Since I have limited money to spend on LEGO I just can not buy all the stuff I need to finish a MOC right away. Therefore I thought I make such a topic and post whenever I could get new bricks and build a new part of the house.

I have not yet decided what it actually will be. I was thinking of either building a smithy or tavern. I think I will figure this out later. What I know I want to do is building a detailed interior. Enough talking now, it's time for some pics!

I started by building only the basic walls that will determine the shape of the house and adding just 1 front to it:

100_2948.jpg100_2950.jpg

I realized that I made a mistake with the front section. Since the side walls will get their 1x1 round plates as well the front needs to be wider. Also meanwhile my bricklink order arrived with the windows so I inserted them:

100_2957.jpg100_2959.jpg

Next I inserted a door. I love black/green color scheme. Also I started to make a wooden floor.

100_2964.jpg100_2961.jpg

100_2963.jpg

You might notice that some of the bricks are very dirty. I tried to wash them, but it didn't help. I had to use them though since I couldn't order any more bricks currently. (These are my 15+ year old LEGO bricks I found again)

On further plans:

I am a big Game of Thrones fan and I don't know if anybody noticed yet, but the non-licensed castle themes have:

1. Lions for Lannister

2. Dragons for Targaryens

3. Wolf for Stark

4. Stag/Deer for Baratheon

This MOC will be part of village near Storm's End and therefore belong to Stannis Baratheon. Later on I want do do many Game of Thrones scenes!

Thank you for your time!

Edited by mephistopheles

You're off on a good start. I like what you have made already so far :thumbup: . The addition of lime green pieces to the walls is a nice touch, making the wall seem a bit more "alive" with greenery. Are you planning on giving the building a complete interior, with furniture and the likes?

That´s a nice building on it´s way! Like that you share your thought´s and experiences. Are you sure that the pieces are dirty or is it just the old light gray we see? I´m also a huge Game of Thrones fan and think it would be great with more mocs from the series.

Very good build so far, keep it up.

I too love the Fire and Ice books (have just started watching the tv show), sadly theres none of the other house symbols (such as Greyjoy or Arryn), still the power four are there :thumbup:

This is a good start! The only issue I see it that you're waning a little at the bottom, in which you are using green 1 x 1 round plates. This looks like you got desperate and needy. I would change that and rely on plants to do that.

Thank you all for your comments!

Very good build so far, keep it up.

I too love the Fire and Ice books (have just started watching the tv show), sadly theres none of the other house symbols (such as Greyjoy or Arryn), still the power four are there :thumbup:

Regarding the other houses: Greyjoy can be done by just using Vikings. It's clearly stated that the Greyjoys have long boats and from how they are depicted (like Victarion Greyjoy) I can clearly imagine him/them as sort of Vikings. Going through the minifig shields over at brickling I've seen a shield with Flames that would be a good compromise for Melisandre and Stannis later on. Also there is a bull for house Hightower if I remember this right. The Arryns won't leave their valley anyway :)

This is a good start! The only issue I see it that you're waning a little at the bottom, in which you are using green 1 x 1 round plates. This looks like you got desperate and needy. I would change that and rely on plants to do that.

Regarding the green 1x1 round plates: I used them to create some kind of moss effect. When I ordered them I thought they would be a little darker. I am not entirely happy with them either and think of changing them once I have more plants and more 1x1 with modified with stud + 1x2 plates. Overall I want to add more detail, but currently I lack the bricks to do so.

My last update for a while since I totally ran out of bricks.

The workers have done a good job and are now resting. Meanwhile Le Wild Mead Supply arrived so that the workers will wake up to a pleasant surprise. After all this sawing, hammering, etc. a little chill-out drink session should restore their strength and moral to continue building when new materials arrive.

phaseiii-5.jpg

Looks good! Love the idea to build Game of Thrones MOC's! I just finished all the books (I'm currently reading the prequel The Hedge Knight). They're amazing!

Looking forward to seeing more of your MOC!

Meanwhile in Woodward Avalonia:

phase4-01.jpgphase4-03.jpg

phase4-05.jpgphase4-07.jpg

And yet another time I have run out of building parts and am 1 paycheck away from another PAB or Bricklink order. :hmpf_bad:

Wow, that is really looking good :thumbup: I like your interior, especially the chimney. Looking forward to the next update :classic:

Edited by soccerkid6

Looking very good!

combining interiors with a building is something I really want to work on so I can really appreciate how great this is.

I really like your door and cant wait to see see the second floor!

Mikey

This is great! The latest pics are just wonderful! As Mikey said, that door is great!

Keep up the good work and I´m keen to see the second floor!

Nice, I always loved Derfels creations and folowing his guide makes creations great too! Just one suggestion I'd try: How about using just one 1x1 brick with the stud on side in corners for 1x2 plates and aligning them with the 1x1 plate edge on the neighbor wall. It'd make the corner of the building aligned more and I think would look nicer! Hope you understand what I mean ...

Thanks guys!

I will have a hard time with the second floor. When looking at the house from the side I want to first layer of the second floor (basically the base) to be dark brown. However there is just a very limited choice of dark brown plates.

Regarding the interior of the second floor. I want to do bunk beds there. Once this house will be ready it will be a soldiers quarter. Ground floor is kitchen with a servant + dining room, second floor is for sleeping and there will be a bell tower included to "ring the alarm" in case of any trouble. Well that is the plan right now.

Out of practical reasons I might have to do the base for the second floor with reddish brown.

Hello/ szia!

I love your house, It is going to be very nice. Are you planning to build a town or something like that? It would be great. By the way that chimney seems intresting.

Nice Job! /csak így tovább ;) (írj egy levelet kérlek, engem is érdekel ez a céhes téma, de még gyenge az angolom)

Hello/ szia!

I love your house, It is going to be very nice. Are you planning to build a town or something like that? It would be great. By the way that chimney seems intresting.

Nice Job! /csak így tovább ;) (írj egy levelet kérlek, engem is érdekel ez a céhes téma, de még gyenge az angolom)

Hello/szia!

Thank you very much, yes I am planing to build a big village/town. /Köszi szépen, igen egy nagy falu építését tervezem/

I'll pm you.

Meanwhile in Woodward Avalonia:

Oh, very nice. I really like the details, and the outside looks very natural, like this house has been lived in for a while and kept up.

This house is just all kinds of awesome. I really like the way the walls on the first floor are done with studs. Keep up the good work.

Gorgeous! The upper floor is already starting to take on a lovely German gingerbreadish look to it! :grin: