I've just finished building this, and I couldn't find any reviews. So why not create my own?

tn_0.jpg

The alternate build is a search sub. I'll have to that one later on.

tn_1.jpg

This is the hardest set I have ever constructed, but the end result is awesome.

The set was released in 1996, two years after the legendary super car, and features fiber optics, two motors, and a size similar to the later flagships, 8258. Here is a comparison shot. Note the minifig and pulley wheel at the bottom.

tn_minifig_and_8258_comp.jpg

Yes! This is minifig compatible. Two of them can sit in the cockpit. They are not included, and I couldn't find any space minifigs, so empty for now.

The set includes lights, motor and some rubber bands because the clutch gear wasn't released until 1997.

tn_3-ir.jpg

tn_4-pf.jpg

tn_7-piececallouts.jpg

As usual there are piece call-out for each step. If you've got some parts left, you've forgot something.

I'll update this topic with new pics and story tomorrow.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

@ Lost_In_Noise: Before you post any more pictures, be aware that the maximum picture size on Eurobricks is (nominally) 800 x 600 pixels. Your images above are huge. Try resizing your BIG pictures by using the image "resizing" program that Sariel uses: http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/ , which "resizes whole folders of files in just few clicks." Then, you can upload the resized (smaller) images to Brickshelf and link it here immediately using the "Deeplink" method outlined here. By "deeplinking", we can see your picture(s) immediately (without having to wait ~2 days for the Brickshelf moderator to make them "public". :classic:

If you've got some parts left, you've forgot something.

Though I'm very looking forward to your review, your last statement isn't entirely true. In fact, the alternate submarine uses quite some parts that the space shuttle doesn't. This could be handy to know if you are considering buying a used set...

Even though the pictures are too big, nice review of such a classic Technic set, 'Lost_In_Noise'!

I remember that my science teacher brought this in one day and said that it was his son's. He used it to explain space (though I don't know how it could have helped explain space better :grin: ).

Great idea to give such a great set a review! I love the Space Shuttle, I bought it a few years ago in good condition but never managed to build it, thats why I´m very interested in your review.

But there is one thing........well, dont get me wrong but could you please try to make better pictures? 8480 is an epic set, one of the best TLG ever released and it deserves better pictures!

Edited by fitzi

Though I'm very looking forward to your review, your last statement isn't entirely true. In fact, the alternate submarine uses quite some parts that the space shuttle doesn't. This could be handy to know if you are considering buying a used set...

I think he meant pieces left over after each step, which is probably something to look out for in older sets since they tend to have more parts per step than the newer ones, which only have 2 or 3 parts per step.

I shopuld probably do that myself. My usual method is to look at the pictures to see what pieces have been added since the last step. Not sure why, but several times, I reach a step several pages later and realised I missed a piece, or used the wrong (but similar) piece.

I was referring to the piece callouts bit. If you line them all up before you start each step(5 2x1 bricks, 4 hinge plates etc), you shouldn't have any leftovers for each step.

I was referring to the piece callouts bit. If you line them all up before you start each step(5 2x1 bricks, 4 hinge plates etc), you shouldn't have any leftovers for each step.

OK, a little misunderstanding there...

You are right, for these old big sets you sometimes need a lot of pieces per step. Especially with a complex model like the space shuttle, the placement of every piece is important. Not to mention to repeatedly check if the moving parts turn smoothly, because the many rubber belts make the mechanisms a bit vulnerable for jamming.

And I'm back from work(finally). Time to start the build, here are all the pieces spread out on the table (except the beams).

tn_2-all_out.jpg

We start off by building a basic frame with some spur gears. This is step 5 in the instruction.

tn_imag0138.jpg

Then we build a gear rack, and place it in the frame.

tn_imag0140.jpg

tn_imag0141.jpg

Now we build the crane base, which the crane arm will be mounted on later.

tn_imag0142.jpg

tn_imag0144.jpg

tn_imag0145.jpg

tn_imag0146.jpg

tn_imag0148.jpg

And here it is placed on the shuttle. We have reached step 9 of 40 for this set.tn_imag0149.jpg

It is not clearly stated in the instructions where the cables will go, so you have to pay attention yourself. Neither are the cables color-coded like they are in more recent sets, but with some intuition it will work out just fine.

Now it's time so build some flaps. You wouldn't want to lose control of your precious space shuttle, would you?

Left side:

tn_imag0154.jpg

Both:

tn_imag0155.jpg

They are operated with a single spur gear at the center of the shuttle. Four additional 16T gears causes them to rotate in opposite directions. The yellow lever seen on the right side thus controls both flaps.

tn_imag0340.jpg

tn_imag0341.jpg

tn_imag0342.jpg

The stickers shown in the last picture are the ones for the B-model sub (Black Technic slope long (Wing Back)). I think this was a good area to place them out of immediate view.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Time to gather some assorted parts, take a look at this callout:

tn_imag0156.jpg

These are used to build some of the nose section, and adding rubber bands to drive the engine.

tn_imag0158.jpg

This sets uses 6 of each " Black Arm Piece with Pin, 3 Fingers and Outside Thread Grooves", and "Black Arm Piece with Pin, 2 Fingers and Finger Grooves" to lock the outer fuselage to the cabin and wing. These are not always easy to differentiate in the instructions. The rubber bands are to be used for propelling the engine later on.

tn_imag0160.jpg

tn_imag0161.jpg

My set was used, so these parts for the ailerons were stickered (Black Technic slope long (Wing Back)). They're used in the submarine B-model,but the completed module on the shuttle doesn't show these parts from the angle where you can see the stickers. (page 18, step 1)

tn_imag0163.jpg

Were now building the "engine" complete with alternating lights, although without sound. Fairly straightforward, though the numbers on this page will haunt you for a while:

tn_imag0164.jpg

Assembled with IR tubes (not really IR, but I like to call it so).

tn_imag0165.jpg

The lower engine exhaust part:

tn_imag0166.jpg

The top:

tn_imag0167.jpg

Combined:

tn_imag0168.jpg

Side view:

tn_imag0169.jpg

From behind (when eating shuttle dust):

tn_imag0171.jpg

I found it wise to check if this actually worked, instead of having to remove it afterwards.

The IR tubes are attached with "Technic, Pin 1/2", but those are already placed in the "Axle and pin connector, Perpendicular"s below the exhausts. I found it to be much

easier to remove the pins, attaching them to the IR tubes prior to placing them. (manual p. 20, step 10.1-2)

The engine is then placed in the back of the shuttle.

Moving from tail to nose now, forming the lower base by adding 28 pieces, and some stickers. The hole created in the center is later used for the landing gear.

tn_imag0173.jpg

tn_imag0174.jpg

tn_imag0344.jpg

These parts forms a gearbox in the front. There will be a H-shaped changeover plate there later.

tn_imag0175.jpg

The outer flaps are added, and another layer to the chassis.

tn_imag0176.jpg

tn_imag0177.jpg

tn_imag0180.jpg

Here you can see the spur gears controlling the landing gear up/down.

tn_imag0181.jpg

Placed on top of the chassis. The wires here are only placed on top of the beams to keep them from entangling with everything else.

The nosewheel is made:

tn_imag0183.jpg

tn_imag0185.jpg

When you're adding the 6 "white thin liftarms with stud" in step 18, be careful so the liftarms on the opposite

side of the wall doesn't come off. A few of mine did, and it took a knife and some time to get them back on the axle.

Time to get that chin up. The hinge plates are cleverly used both over and under, and then Black Arm Pieces are used to snap the arms into place. Very nice.

tn_imag0186.jpg

tn_imag0187.jpg

tn_imag0188.jpg

tn_imag0189.jpg

tn_imag0191.jpg

Two of these are created as handles for controlling flaps and landing gear:

tn_imag0192.jpg

tn_imag0193.jpg

The two axles running from these controls are to be held in place by the front wing bits.

tn_imag0197.jpg

These are separated in the instructions by different colour scheme of letters. I suppose it has to do with the stickered tiles they have.

Here they are placed on the shuttle, you can see the set of 16T gears meeting at the base.:

tn_imag0200.jpg

You can see how this works more clearly at the flaps section.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

An awesome set indeed :wub: I'm ashamed to admit that I still actually need to build the alternate model. I'm even more ashamed to say that I have a second 8480 set packed away for that very purpose.

Perhaps this weekend is a good weekend to start building :blush:

The wings are a bit flimsy at this point, so we'll add an outer frame to tighten them up a bit.

tn_imag0201.jpg

Another load of black beams and hinge plates are used to make...

This.

tn_imag0202.jpg

tn_imag0203.jpg

These are separated into different instructions with two steps each, and a parts callout for the whole lot. 20 pieces or so.

tn_imag0204.jpg

Here they are mounted on the chassis. You can see where the "Arm Piece with Pin, 3 Fingers and Outside Thread Grooves" meets the "Arm Piece with Pin, 2 Fingers and Outside Thread Grooves" right outside the gear lever. This is the same for both sides of the shuttle.

Next is synchronizing the landing gears on each side and the front. A tipped-over space shuttle isn't very much to look at. But it's been a busy day for me, and I have to scoot off to another meeting. I'll be back later tonight to continue the journey.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

That's because Blakbird has not added it to his Technicopedia website yet (Hint, hint!) Welcome to Eurobricks. :classic:

1996-150x150.jpglogo.jpg

Theres no "hint, hint" about it at this point. I've been just short of verbal assault with my "hints"

An awesome set indeed :wub: I'm ashamed to admit that I still actually need to build the alternate model. I'm even more ashamed to say that I have a second 8480 set packed away for that very purpose.

Ashamed...you shouldn't be.

I own 7 (though 2 are NIB) and I have never actually built either model. I have frequently told myself that I need to build it but for whatever reason I just can't find the time. I spend more time collecting and less time building. I figure by the time I am 60 and arthritic, I'll suddenly have the urge to build (and it will be too late).

I've got 31/40 sets in my build queue right now. Maybe I'll add some reviews of them later on. I'm starting with the bigger sets, 8880 being next to this one. Hopefully I'll finish some time before summer.

Okay, synchronizing landing gears. I've reached step 23 of 40, where two 16-tooth gears are added to the front and the back.

tn_imag0205.jpg

Heres a pic from the underside, taken after the build was completed.

tn_imag0205-2-underside.jpg

tn_imag0206.jpg

tn_imag0207.jpg

This rack is placed on top of the landing gear. If you don't pay attention to the instructions, you may miss that the 4 axle from the suspension is integrated to it.

tn_imag0208.jpg

tn_imag0208-1.jpg

tn_imag0208-2.jpg

tn_imag0209.jpg

Next, two of these tall bricks go in the back. The slopes are added to the nose, leaving it with a nice curved look:

tn_imag0212.jpg

Forming the base of the crane arm consists of 6 steps, this is what it looks like after step 4:

tn_imag0213.jpg

With these parts, another section is created:

tn_imag0214.jpg

tn_imag0215.jpg

Merging into this:

tn_imag0216.jpg

And these parts makes it into a sturdy base for the crane.

tn_imag0217.jpg

tn_imag0218.jpg

tn_imag0219.jpg

It's placed on top of the turntable, and 2 2 stud axles locks it into place.

tn_imag0220.jpg

That's all for tonight. I'll be adding more tomorrow.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

This is one set I own that I have never got around to building

copy that! I really have to build it now, it is just awesome!

copy that! I really have to build it now, it is just awesome!

:ugh::laugh:,Seem applies to you as well.:laugh:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan