Sir E Fullner

Which Mast Pieces Do You Prefer?

Old or new mast pieces?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the old or the new mast pieces?

• The old ones, nostalgia!
    • The new ones, I like it modern!

Hello, all. I've seen many posts about which ship pieces people prefer the most, and I figured that since no-one asked about masts, I think I will.

Do you prefer using the older masts 2537b.gif?0 or the newer masts 48002b.jpg?0

To get the ball rolling, or the ship sailing :pir-tongue: , I prefer using the older masts, because they look really good, and it is simpler to make sails for them.

Feel free to post your comments below.

Always entertaining, always inspiring, always:

The old ones ofcourse, they are just perfectly shaped, the only possible disadvantage I can think would be the fact that you can only get them in black :pirate_sad2:

It would've been nice to have them in brown of tan as well,

either way, eventhough the new mast pieces come in brown and tan, I'd still prefer the old masts even on a ship where brown/tan is better suited.

btw, maybe it's a good idea to add a poll ?

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Yeah adding a poll could be a good idea.

Perhaps you could also include custom masts then, and perhaps this support piece.

Out of your suggestions, I would choose the old one since the shape looks far more realistic.

I would like to say the old shape, but I find it easier to work with the new ones.

The only disadvantage I can see of the new ones is the ugly structure you can see on the back of them.

:jollyroger:

btw, maybe it's a good idea to add a poll ?

Polls can only be started once a member has reached the rank 'Knight' at 500 posts.

I'll add one. :thumbup:

...and done!

I've voted for the old ones, as I like the general shape of them but I with they came in other colours too.

My own masts however are brickbuilt so I'm able to get the height, colours and platform placements correctly. :pir-grin:

Old ones are much more solid as a whole mast than new ones, which to me, are kind of fragile.. dunno if anyone else has had this same problem

Old ones are much more solid as a whole mast than new ones, which to me, are kind of fragile.. dunno if anyone else has had this same problem

Yeah, because instead of slotting in they only have four studs. It's weak even with a central axle like as in the IFS. :pirate_sad2:

I definitely prefer the old masts, for stability and aesthetics.

Btw, since the poll is up; I prefer the old ones but it has nothing to do with nostalgia, it's simply a matter of good taste :pir-tongue:

Btw, since the poll is up; I prefer the old ones but it has nothing to do with nostalgia, it's simply a matter of good taste :pir-tongue:

Probably, but as they don't appear that often in new sets (or completely not, I'm not sure), and we all love the old ones then it's nostaliga. :pir-tongue:

And of course a matter of good taste!

I voted the new ones... They are more versatile... The old ones needed a 4x4 plate to attach them, never cared for that, even back then...

I also prefer the technic pin attachment points vs the old way. Provides more ways to build on the masts themselves...

Edited by SuperSirLink

I like the looks of the old ones, but I do like the versatility of the newer ones. I also like how they are much more sturdy than the old ones.

While the new ones are much easier to use I prefer the old, although on smaller ships (big ships etc require big masts and I'm low on parts) I would use custom masts.

The old ones just look better in my opinion and I like the base they slot into, but the new ones are simplier to incoroporate into mocs (still I voted on the old ones :thumbup:)

The old ones! They are way better shaped, the new ones are way too thick (for normal sized ships), for my ship The Prinses Nikki i used a combination of the old and new.

Probably, but as they don't appear that often in new sets (or completely not, I'm not sure), and we all love the old ones then it's nostaliga. :pir-tongue:

And of course a matter of good taste!

No, no, no! I don't accept it. It's not nostalgia. :pir_bawling: The old ones are far better in every way.

Boy, I'm beginning to sound nostalgic. :pir-blush:

Seriously, though. The old ones, all the way. TLG has to bring them back. Although it would be nice if they had a way to make them taller... :pir-sceptic:

I'm sure all this love for the old type is nostalgia. The new ones are far more practical, even if the shape isn't completely right. They also come in a decent range of colours, whereas the old ones only come in black.

Rubbish. There's nothing nostalgic about it. The old ones just look a whole lot better. :pirate_skel1:

You may be right about the colour though, but just black is not bad. Brown may be nice, but not necessary.

I would like to say the old shape, but I find it easier to work with the new ones.

The only disadvantage I can see of the new ones is the ugly structure you can see on the back of them.

Same here,

I've always thought that the old ones were great, and do prefer the shape of them - but I just got the QAR which was my first taste of a newer-TLC ship and I was very impressed with the mast structure and think its much more sturdy than the older ones. I also think it would be much easier to make shorter masts with them as with the old ones if you didnt have the large base-piece as part of the mast you were a bit stuffed! Whereas with the new ones even with one of the upper mast pieces it is possible to attach it firmly to some studs somewhere.

I also think that the newer style of yardarm works well!

So, against all expectations I've actually gone for the new ones - I feel guilty to say it however!