BrickBox

MOC: My first turntable ladder

indexed.gif V-LF-8F

Hello fellow town inhabitants, I'd like to share with you my latest fire related MOC: a turntable ladder. It might look a little odd at the front, because this vehicle is a low-profile construction. This is supposed to allow navigation in urban areas, where there are many passages with low height (like old town gates for example). Here you can find an example of such a ladder truck.

It might not be visible on the pictures, but the struts on opposite sides are offset by one brick relative to each other. This way there is enough room in the middle to have the struts slide out at the sides by a significant length. A little bit of cheating, but it's only really noticable when looking at it from a bird's eye view. The ladder and turntable are not very sturdy, they've come apart countless times already when fiddling with the model. Also, the ladder tends to collapse under its own weight when deployed at a low angle and with full length (there are six individual ladder parts). But none the less, it works and I'm happy how it turned out.

Please let me know what you think of it, any critique and comments are most welcome!

Edit: LDD file for the ladder can be found here

6869491073_778e4335e2_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (01) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

6869498361_887d475741_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (03) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

6869492867_dcc6ed8f3c_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (04) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

6869493709_7127475140_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (05) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

6869494743_2a486658fd_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (06) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

6869496771_156490867b_z.jpg

Lego turntable ladder fire truck (07) von Outolintu. auf Flickr

Edited by BrickBox

I like it! Very nice job on the frontend and windscreen here. Keep it up! :thumbup:

Excellent job BrickBox, I really like this ladder...! default_classic.gif

Also enjoyed your photographic skills, especially on picture 1 and 6 (I almost got vertigo...). It really puts your truck in value!

Cheers,

Now that's what I call a ladder truck 'BrickBox', very realistic and the platform section with water nozzle is excellent ! :thumbup:

AWESOME design job there 'BrickBox' and Brick On Fire Fight On ! :grin:

Thanks everybody for your comments, much appreciated!

Good, like a Germany Magirus

Thanks EM4CZ. And indeed, that's exactly what it's supposed to represent.

Very nice job on the frontend and windscreen here.:thumbup:

Thanks ER0L, the front was the first part I designed. It makes the whole model very recognizable I think, and I've chosen the original Iveco model because of this. I also find the front of those Iveco trucks to be kind of cute, especially the old ones from the 80s/90s :grin:

This was also the first time that I didn't use one of the Lego wind shields. This really adds a whole lot of additional freedom in designing the vehicle, and it takes away that somewhat generic "Lego truck" look. Even though it can be tricky to find a feasable solution for a custom wind shield.

Also enjoyed your photographic skills, especially on picture 1 and 6 (I almost got vertigo...).

I'm not much of a photographer, but I figured I'd try something more 'involved' this time, seems like it worked out. Glad you like it SwissBrick! I didn't intent to cause anyone vertigo, though *huh*

Now that's what I call a ladder truck 'BrickBox', very realistic and the platform section with water nozzle is excellent !

Thanks lightningtiger. I went through several iterations of the ladder platform before I ended up with the final version, which I'm quite happy with.

By the way, is 'water nozzle' what fire fighters actually call that water dispensing thing on the ladder platform? I'm still rather clueless when it comes to translating some of the technical terms of "fire fighting business" from german to american/british/australian/whatever english...

That's a very cool and impressive truck. I like the details put into this model. It's cool you added the water cannon on top of the ladder.

Hi BrickBox! This is a great replica of the iveco chassis TL. I remember Kent in England bought 2 or 3 of these, one of which is your real photo. Never liked the look of them but guess they served a purpose which is their real purpose due to being low profile.

I know what you mean about the ladder collapsing etc as I have my own lego built TL and the ladder sections can be a nightmare. It would be good if TLG brought out a ladder that is half the length again longer or even double of the current ladder.

I like your PPV fan too. Was wondering how to do one of these.

In the uk, the nozzle is the adjustable end the water comes out but the main hand held peice is called a branch. I think they use the term nozzle for this whole piece in the US! But you are right by calling your one on the cage a monitor as thats what its called over here when its not hand held.

Hope you make more fire related trucks

the model will also Magirus stickers?

basket in the transport position must be at the upper, the first picture is a position out of service.

Our firefighters also have this ladder, while driving to see the Magirus sign on the bottom of the basket.

194.jpg

A great modell! You can recognize it with the first picture!

I hope you will share more of this beauties with us!

Thanks again everyone for you comments!

In the uk, the nozzle is the adjustable end the water comes out but the main hand held peice is called a branch. I think they use the term nozzle for this whole piece in the US! But you are right by calling your one on the cage a monitor as thats what its called over here when its not hand held.

Thanks for this little english lesson, much appreciated! :thumbup:

Hope you make more fire related trucks

You bet I will :grin: I'm thinking of doing a heavy rescue next.

the model will also Magirus stickers?

basket in the transport position must be at the upper, the first picture is a position out of service.

I don't think I will make any stickers, I'm not a big fan of them. But even if I was, all I could do were paper printouts or drawings.

You're right about the ladder basket, it should fold up instead of down and be put over the ladder. However I don't know exactly how this mechanism works, and I don't think I could figure out a way of building it from bricks at this scale :sceptic:

I've also uploaded my LDD file for the ladder here for anyone interested in it.