Tragedy has befallen my fleet once again

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic  – Started by kurigan , Feb 11 2012 03:30 AM

#1 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:30 AM

My Classis pirates friends; tragedy has befallen my fleet once again. Last night brought the loss of the merchant cutter Hawk and HMS Scorpion. Both vessels were shattered when balance was lost as the projects were being moved across the room. The damage to both vessels is quite extensive. More than just broken down to their member components, as with the first destruction of Scorpion, individual bricks were scattered about the room with the force of the impact. Though it is entirely possible to reassemble both vessels from pictures and memory (they are Legos after all, the epitome of modular building) it would be quite an undertaking. I ask the community their opinion in this matter. Have these projects, either or both, enough merit to warrant rebuilding and forging on with them, or would I do better to start anew?

Posted Image

Hawk was started as a platform on which to experiment with new construction and rigging techniques.

Scorpion is a very important project to me as she’d be my first post ship in live bricks, though I’m afraid my meager supply of bricks cannot sustain such a vessel.

What say you?

On a slightly more humorous note, the captain did stay with his ship. The figure actually stayed affixed to the deck through the disaster.
Posted Image

Edited by kurigan, 11 February 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#2 Skipper

Skipper

Member: 19281

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:08 AM

I say keep the Scorpion and kick the Hawk. Considering your extremely limited brick supply, Scorpion was turning out really well - great shape and colors. I think it has a lot of potential, especially if you can locate some jumpers off Bricklink before rebuilding to smooth out the curves. And as you said, it has a sort of symbolic value, being your first post-ship. Just my thoughts.  :pir-classic:

#3 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Oh no, so terrible  :pir-oh3:
If this would ever happen to my Flying Dutchman, I don't know what I should do, I'll freak out, that's for sure, in the end I'll try to rebuild it I suppose.
The choice of rebuilding your vessels is entirely up to you, In my opinion they were nice ships but what really matters is that you like them yourself, perhaps you can take advantage of this disatrous event by implementing some modifications/improvements when rebuilding the ships.
I know how it must feel, my cat once pushed my frigate off the shelf  :pir_wacko:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum, 11 February 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure

Member: 20080

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

This is such a tragedy Posted Image It is hard to see a build to which you have devoted so much time being destroyed.

I think this can became a nice opportunity though. Consider the positive aspects: now you do have a lot of parts available and you have learned a lot with these previous projects, so perhaps you can undertake the beginning of a new build, ambitious in any way you like, and using all the new techniques and knowledge you have gathered from these past and amazing ships!

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf

#5 seba

seba

Member: 16335

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thats sad,both were beautiful ships :pir-cry_sad: .I think you should make new ship since you have more bricks and exprience :pir-cry_happy: .

I find it fun that the sailor is pretty much in the center and there's no bricks near it,and that the captain did go down with his ship still attached to it.

#6 Foremast Jack

Foremast Jack

Member: 22851

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

A true tragedy indeed!  :pir_bawling:

I'm inclined to tell you to rebuild, but I think that's more because I really enjoyed some of the techniques you were coming up with. That being said I realize it's more that as long as you are continuing to build something it's all the same to me. It is comical that the captain survived. It seems almost like that ship should be rebuilt just out of respect for him (or give him command of something even more grandiose).
"You don't make friends with the foremast jacks, lad.
They'll think you weak; despise you in the end."
                           - Captain Jack Aubrey

#7 Captain Blackbeard

Captain Blackbeard

Member: 23709

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

:pir_bawling:
The loss of a ship is always terrible! Like you, I recently lost a ship, but it was in minecraft. A huge, three-masted flagship went up in flames when a...Ahem...zombie exploded and lit the Dauntless on fire.  :pir_bawling:
I urge you to rebuild the Scorpion, but do away with the Hawk and use its parts

Edited by Captain Blackbeard, 11 February 2012 - 10:20 PM.

Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you

#8 Lance

Lance

Member: 15741

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

My opinion: Combine both ships for a massive vessel  :pir-wub:

#9 kurigan

kurigan
  • Fresh Pirate

Member: 9706

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:25 PM

Though no decision has as of yet been reached as to the fate of HMS Scorpion, Hawk has been deemed a loss and a project has begun to replace her.

My new schooner Raven

Edited by kurigan, 22 February 2012 - 09:40 PM.

#10 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:21 AM

I hate it when that happens. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links