Jump to content


Brickars


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic  – Started by On Stranger Tides , Jan 30 2012 04:02 AM

#1 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

    Posts: 176
    Joined: 11-November 10
    Member: 14161
    Country: us

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

This might be the wrong place, but what is the best shipfighting game? I have been playing brickwars a lot recently, so what is a good ship battle game? Has there been any more since evil Steve's?
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#2 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1571
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:06 AM

I did an attempt to fully understand that evil steve's game but I find it to complicated to actually play it, maybe it should be simplified to some kind of chess board (but a lot bigger, every type of ship with its own movements).
Posted Image

#3 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

    Posts: 176
    Joined: 11-November 10
    Member: 14161
    Country: us

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

View PostSebeus Iniwum, on 30 January 2012 - 08:06 AM, said:

I did an attempt to fully understand that evil steve's game but I find it to complicated to actually play it, maybe it should be simplified to some kind of chess board (but a lot bigger, every type of ship with its own movements).


Yea I think Me,Vdubsguy and Admiral B are going to make up one that makes sense... Maybe measure it instead of by brickbuilt or hulls. I didn't like the names of the classes or ship types. So I'm gonna try with mast numbers and length and rigging type...
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#4 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

    Posts: 176
    Joined: 11-November 10
    Member: 14161
    Country: us

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 AM

Okay mates, I really need help finding a game to play with ships. Evil Steve's game just seems too impractical and has waaay too much going on...
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#5 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!


    Posts: 1571
    Joined: 04-September 08
    Member: 3891
    Country: Belgium

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

It's not so easy to simplify such game either because there is so much variation in the ships, their different lenghts makes it difficult to such chess board like I said.
Buf if we were to bestow each ship, no mater the size, with the same square surface it could work.
Depending on the type of ship they have different movevents depending on the wind (which can take 4 different position (N,E,S and W)
on top of that those movements are multiplied with a factor that takes the amount of sails in account.
Maybe that sounds complicated already  :pir-sceptic:
Posted Image

#6 SkaForHire

SkaForHire
  • Historica's Fortune Teller


    Posts: 3681
    Joined: 04-May 06
    Member: 759
    Country: USA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Evil Stevies is decently realistic... Although a bit complicated. But, I think it is the best of all the lego wargames.

I have been working on a wargame for years, but we have not really moved to specialized water rules yet (where we account for fleet movement, different types of soldiers, etc...) or else I would just release the Alpha rules for people to tinker with. Although, some day it will be glorious... haha. We are building a game you can play with three figs or three thousand figs, with ease of play being slightly harder than brickwars. (for the more advanced gamer, where brickwars is pretty basic)

I would like to see what others have come up with over the years.
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Admiral Woodbrose, Minister of the Colonies of Corrington

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."


Posted Image                                                         Posted Image                                             Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea    ...    |    ....          Devil's Island   ......        |    ........       Rakath Mountain Ritual

#7 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

    Posts: 176
    Joined: 11-November 10
    Member: 14161
    Country: us

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostSkaForHire, on 31 January 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

Evil Stevies is decently realistic... Although a bit complicated. But, I think it is the best of all the lego wargames.

I have been working on a wargame for years, but we have not really moved to specialized water rules yet (where we account for fleet movement, different types of soldiers, etc...) or else I would just release the Alpha rules for people to tinker with. Although, some day it will be glorious... haha. We are building a game you can play with three figs or three thousand figs, with ease of play being slightly harder than brickwars. (for the more advanced gamer, where brickwars is pretty basic)

I would like to see what others have come up with over the years.

Im making one up tomorrow, if we come up with rules ill post them in a new topic.
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#8 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!


    Posts: 3029
    Joined: 03-December 08
    Member: 4578
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

We did have a game like that in the past. But it was quite difficult and time consuming.
Therefore it didn't work, but it looked quite awesome :pir-classic:

Here is the game thread, and here the discussion.
Perhaps it's a useful source for inspiration. But you'll have to do it better otherwise it won't work :pir-grin:
Got questions? Need help? New member?                            
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages


#9 ScurveyJ

ScurveyJ

    Posts: 13
    Joined: 02-October 11
    Member: 20753
    Country: USofA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

I have been wanting to try Evil Stevie's, but first I need to find people to play with me!

I went through the rules a couple of times and decided it was pretty complicated too, but that it would be easy to leave out a few things to simplify it.  Overall, I don't think the movement would be that bad, but just some of the other variables.  I don't know though as I haven't really experienced it.  

If I don't find some people to play with, I'll just start pushing boats around on my floor by myself.  :pir_bawling:

#10 On Stranger Tides

On Stranger Tides

    Posts: 176
    Joined: 11-November 10
    Member: 14161
    Country: us

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

View PostScurveyJ, on 02 February 2012 - 05:58 AM, said:

I have been wanting to try Evil Stevie's, but first I need to find people to play with me!

I went through the rules a couple of times and decided it was pretty complicated too, but that it would be easy to leave out a few things to simplify it.  Overall, I don't think the movement would be that bad, but just some of the other variables.  I don't know though as I haven't really experienced it.  

If I don't find some people to play with, I'll just start pushing boats around on my floor by myself.  :pir_bawling:

I played a coouple of days ago. It's fun, but the movement is by far the worst part...
Long Live The Crown!
My Flickr

#11 Frank Brick Wright

Frank Brick Wright
  • Baby Minifigure


    Posts: 363
    Joined: 28-August 11
    Member: 20080
    Country: Portugal

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

I think that the only way of making a game such as Evil Stevie's is either through a computer program (like Sid Meier's Pirates) or using maneuver cards.

I'm not sure if anyone knows a game called Wings of War, which I believe is the kind of game we are aiming at, though it is with planes. As you can see in the image below it basically consists of a card game, in which every plane has a card and a series of maneuver cards, determining its next position. It also has an angle range, determined by the clearer ares in the plane card, and a distance range. The game is played in rounds of three cards each, being the maneuver cards chosen at the begging of the round without the knowledge of our opponents moves. I'm not sure if I was clear enough but this is the basis of the game, plus each plane (or ship in our case) has specific strength, movements and range.


Posted Image

A ship is floating in the harbour now,

The wind is hovering o'er the mountain's brow;

There is a path on the sea's azure floor,

No keel has ever ploughed that path before

(Percy Bysshe Shelley)


MOCPages account, Flickr and Brickshelf


#12 Bart

Bart

    Posts: 476
    Joined: 27-January 11
    Member: 15679
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostFrank Brick Wright, on 03 February 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

(...) plus each plane (or ship in our case) has specific strength, movements and range.

(...)

And there lies the big problem how do you compare ships and especially moc's, there is a discussion about that in the rocks and shoals topic, link above.

Bart

Dus

my photos (flickr)
My photos BoBS < and story!!  
Plays as pirate captain Rodsh Derr, member of the Sea Rats fraction in BoBS




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links