Jump to content


Three new MOCs


26 replies to this topic

#1 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

Posted Image B-PV-4A Fire Dept., V-LF-8E Fire Aparatus

I'm not much of a vehicle modeler, so this is new territory for me. Let me know what you think.

The Chessie Engine is based off a HO scale train I've had since I was a kid. It's my first attempt at a train engine and my first use of custom decals.

The fire engine is my first attempt at a vehicle. I got a lot of inspiration from talented vehicle modelers on Brickshelf. I've never been very good at building vehicles but I like this one.

And, last but not least, after several Bricklink orders, my Fire Station is done! Please enjoy!

BrickZone.net
BrickZone.net MOCs page

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#2 alex54

alex54

  • CC reducer, city expander


    Posts: 1412
    Joined: 01-December 05
    Member: 560
    Country: France

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:57 AM

Woo! They looks good 8-° !
They all have a nice design! But like I said before, they have a real human scale (exept for the train) and not a minifig one. So it is not the kind of buildings I do. But I really like to see some very good job than yours. Maybe one day I will build in this "bigger" scale...
I like the basket  above the garage doors!

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#3 Hobbes

Hobbes

  • Retired


    Posts: 3230
    Joined: 20-May 05
    Member: 359

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

8-°

Uh...

8-°

Those are excellent!

I just love the fire truck and the fire station! Awesome details, awesome everything *sweet*

I like the color scheme of the locomotive, but it looks like the front wheels are... "too far out front"... it looks like it's missing a small platform out front and that the cabin should be a little more up front. Other than that it's a perfect GP... Dash... ah, one of those, I never remember the difference ;-)

*y*

#4 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

View Postalex54, on Oct 13 2006, 08:57 AM, said:

Woo! They looks good 8-° !
They all have a nice design! But like I said before, they have a real human scale (exept for the train) and not a minifig one.

Thanks for the compliments! I can assure you that all three are built to minifig scale. If you look at the galleries on my website you can see pictures of the models with mini-figs in them. Thanks again for the compliments.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#5 Hobbes

Hobbes

  • Retired


    Posts: 3230
    Joined: 20-May 05
    Member: 359

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

View Posthinckley39, on Oct 13 2006, 05:16 PM, said:

I can assure you that all three are built to minifig scale.
I think he means the 80s "town scale" (the "small" houses without backs). I know Alex is a fan of the classic spirit ;-)

#6 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

View PostHobbes, on Oct 13 2006, 04:34 PM, said:

I think he means the 80s "town scale" (the "small" houses without backs). I know Alex is a fan of the classic spirit ;-)

Oh, okay! Well, the fire station has no back:

Posted Image

And when he says the look like they're on a human scale, it sounds like he expects to be able to walk through the front door.  :-D

Here are some more pictures of the engine and fire house with minifigs:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Closeups can be seen at BrickZone.net's City MOC page

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#7 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

View PostHobbes, on Oct 13 2006, 09:28 AM, said:

I like the color scheme of the locomotive, but it looks like the front wheels are... "too far out front"... it looks like it's missing a small platform out front and that the cabin should be a little more up front.

Thanks for the compliments. I wondered about the front and that's what I struggled most with. I actually like the placement of the cabin, but I do think a small platform needs to come out like on the santa fe engine. I originally had something like that but I'm working in bley and didn't have all of the pieces I needed. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the compliments.

View PostHobbes, on Oct 13 2006, 09:28 AM, said:

Other than that it's a perfect GP... Dash... ah, one of those, I never remember the difference ;-)

I don't know at all...

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#8 Asuka

Asuka

  • Pictural Poet


    Posts: 6658
    Joined: 19-June 06
    Member: 816
    Country: Schnitzelland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

I love your Fire Station. This building is a pure beauty! Your Fire Engine rocks too! All these fine details and
cool ideas, especially with these water hose connectors.... And i like the colors of your Chessie Engine....  *wub*
Maybe these parts would fit well as hoses, at least in red....

#9 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

View PostAsuka, on Oct 13 2006, 04:55 PM, said:

I love your Fire Station. This building is a pure beauty! Your Fire Engine rocks too! All these fine details and
cool ideas, especially with these water hose connectors.... And i like the colors of your Chessie Engine....  *wub*
Maybe these parts would fit well as hoses, at least in red....

Thanks! Great idea on the hoses. It would look much better than the string...

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#10 Asuka

Asuka

  • Pictural Poet


    Posts: 6658
    Joined: 19-June 06
    Member: 816
    Country: Schnitzelland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:14 PM

View Posthinckley39, on Oct 13 2006, 05:03 PM, said:

Thanks! Great idea on the hoses. It would look much better than the string...
Yeah, but i donīt know, maybe you would have to rework your Fire Station a little bit for these....
Because in Europe most fire stations have this little towers to hang on their hoses for drying them....

#11 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

View PostAsuka, on Oct 13 2006, 05:14 PM, said:

Yeah, but i donīt know, maybe you would have to rework your Fire Station a little bit for these....
Because in Europe most fire stations have this little towers to hang on their hoses for drying them....

Ooooh. I like that idea...

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#12 Jemppu

Jemppu

    Posts: 46
    Joined: 09-August 06
    Member: 889
    Country: Finland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:03 PM

I really, really love the facade design of the Fire Station :o And I like the fact, that it's 'human scale' (that's not really a proper term for it, is it XD) instead of the classic minifig scale. Though, now that it is so, wouldn't it look nice for the lamp posts to have a couple of 2x2 bricks under them (they'd match those pillars on the building front too), to make them appear a bit more on scale with the rest of the MOC (if you don't think the 'tree' would look too small then?)

Anyway. Details, details! I love them :D Great job!!

P.S. I especially love the basketball hoop! Gives the whole thing a nice casual touch!

#13 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:18 PM

View PostJemppu, on Oct 13 2006, 10:03 PM, said:

I really, really love the facade design of the Fire Station :o And I like the fact, that it's 'human scale' (that's not really a proper term for it, is it XD) instead of the classic minifig scale. Though, now that it is so, wouldn't it look nice for the lamp posts to have a couple of 2x2 bricks under them (they'd match those pillars on the building front too), to make them appear a bit more on scale with the rest of the MOC (if you don't think the 'tree' would look too small then?)

Anyway. Details, details! I love them :D Great job!!

P.S. I especially love the basketball hoop! Gives the whole thing a nice casual touch!

Thanks so much for all of the compliments! You are so nice.  :'-)

Let me re-iterate something: It IS mini-fig scale, not "human". The first floor is two stories high to accomodate the fire engines. Here is a closeup of the front with a minifig and his dog:

Posted Image

See? A human couldn't fit through that door. I build on mini-fig scale only. I don't like micro or "human" scale.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the compliments. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix my fire station so it looks mini-fig scale, which it is.  X-D

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#14 Jemppu

Jemppu

    Posts: 46
    Joined: 09-August 06
    Member: 889
    Country: Finland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

View Posthinckley39, on Oct 14 2006, 01:18 AM, said:

Let me re-iterate something: It IS mini-fig scale, not "human".
Yeah, okay. You're right... bad choice of words... but, but it's still a bit massive *insists* I mean, 'massive' as in more-complete-than-a-usual-Town-set-building-and-therefore-looks-bigger-than-the-so-called-minifig-scale. The hoop's set at the lamp posts' height :/

I believe the station actually would look smaller, if the lamp posts were taller (I was even thinking, that you might have left them like that on purpose of making the building look taller) :D

#15 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:07 PM

View PostJemppu, on Oct 13 2006, 10:30 PM, said:

Yeah, okay. You're right... bad choice of words... but, but it's still a bit massive *insists* I mean, 'massive' as in more-complete-than-a-usual-Town-set-building-and-therefore-looks-bigger-than-the-so-called-minifig-scale. The hoop's set at the lamp posts' height :/

I believe the station actually would look smaller, if the lamp posts were taller (I was even thinking, that you might have left them like that on purpose of making the building look taller) :D
I get it. I swear the hoop is at mini-fig regulation height.  ;-)  Thanks for clarifying, here's a visual aid anyway:

When mini-figs try to use my fire station:

Posted Image

When humans try to use my fire station:

Posted Image

What do you mean "let it go"?

Obviously, I have too much time on my hands. Thanks again everyone for the feedback!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#16 Jemppu

Jemppu

    Posts: 46
    Joined: 09-August 06
    Member: 889
    Country: Finland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

*roflmao* Brilliant. I'm sure everyone got it right now XD

#17 Asuka

Asuka

  • Pictural Poet


    Posts: 6658
    Joined: 19-June 06
    Member: 816
    Country: Schnitzelland

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:26 PM

Well, donīt you know.... You could always talk to this guy....  ;-)
Posted Image

#18 highlandcattle

highlandcattle

    Posts: 558
    Joined: 04-July 06
    Member: 839

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

Your firestation is a thing of pure beauty!

I don't even want to know how much it would cost if you would have to buy all the parts separatly
My Bricklink My Flickr
My Trains:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image  Posted Image
Thank you PaulC

#19 oo7

oo7

  • Master Carpenter


    Posts: 2891
    Joined: 27-May 06
    Member: 788
    Country: The US of A

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

X-O The Chessie is Good, but I really love the fire stuff, those are amazing! The artistic detail on the exterior of the building (what's the word for this?) is beautiful, and the interior is great too although I think the beds could benefit from being a bit wider. The basket ball hoop is a brilliant addition and overall this is the most detailed fire station I've seen. The fire engine is nice and problably better than mine even though it looks a bit too big.

Excelent work. *y*
Posted Image

#20 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:11 PM

View Posthighlandcattle, on Oct 14 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

I don't even want to know how much it would cost if you would have to buy all the parts separatly

I don't want to know either.

View Postoo7, on Oct 14 2006, 08:11 PM, said:

The fire engine is nice and problably better than mine even though it looks a bit too big.

Good eye. It is too big. It won't fit in the garage all the way. Oh well. I forgot to check that before completion. I'm going to build to fire rescue vehicles that fit in the garages and they can parallel park the fire engine outside...

Thanks again to everyone for all the great compliments and feedback!  :'-)

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#21 alex54

alex54

  • CC reducer, city expander


    Posts: 1412
    Joined: 01-December 05
    Member: 560
    Country: France

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:50 AM

I see that Hobbes knows me well!
When I said your buildings are human scale  hinckley39, it is because the building are too tall than TLC had done during the 80's and the 90's. They have more a human proportion feeling than a minifig one. In fact the ceiling of your rooms are too hight. The minigi scale houses don't have staircase, with small everythings. I don't know if what I say it is clear.
But like I said too, the result is very good!

Posted Image                        Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image


#22 Hinckley

Hinckley

  • I'm an idito!


    Posts: 29531
    Joined: 15-September 05
    Member: 486
    Country: Chicago, USA

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

View Postalex54, on Oct 16 2006, 11:50 AM, said:

I see that Hobbes knows me well!
When I said your buildings are human scale  hinckley39, it is because the building are too tall than TLC had done during the 80's and the 90's. They have more a human proportion feeling than a minifig one. In fact the ceiling of your rooms are too hight. The minigi scale houses don't have staircase, with small everythings. I don't know if what I say it is clear.
But like I said too, the result is very good!

Thanks for clarifying! We had quite the debate about that while you were away. Hobbes must know you real well because I never ever would've guessed that that's what you meant. Thanks again for the nice compliments!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide



Posted Image Posted Image


#23 Serengeti

Serengeti

    Posts: 1167
    Joined: 20-October 06
    Member: 1040
    Country: Ireland

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:06 PM

I think the building is minifig scale just very big and realistic. Realistic is a compliment in my opinion but the because it is big it would make the TLC sets look a bit small and crap and unrealistic, which is what they usually are.

The fire engine is again more accurate but I prefer traditional sized cars (Because they fit on the streets better and are lower than TLC buildings) The fire engine I would consider to be closer to human-scale, i.e. more than more person (lego) can fit in the front seat. Now obviously a real person cant so "human-scale" isnt the best label but you know what I mean I think.

The only thing on the building I would remove in the basketball hoop as I think it looks too big and firemen shouldnt be playing it while at work  :-D

But in the US perhaps it is a regular feature, although sometimes I dont like realistic things:-)

Anyway, in summary, good job, keeping making similar buildings. Btw what is a HO scale train?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals

#24 Hobbes

Hobbes

  • Retired


    Posts: 3230
    Joined: 20-May 05
    Member: 359

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:14 PM

View PostCalvin, on Oct 26 2006, 01:06 PM, said:

Btw what is a HO scale train?
This :-)

#25 Serengeti

Serengeti

    Posts: 1167
    Joined: 20-October 06
    Member: 1040
    Country: Ireland

Posted 26 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

View PostHobbes, on Oct 26 2006, 01:14 PM, said:

This :-)

Thanks Hobbes. I think I know what HO is now. Hornby-like scales.

Tuna fish sandwich coming up  *y*
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

MinifigTimes.com    Leaving no brick unturned in the search for scandals



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users