Myko

MOC: USS Reliant NCC-1864

Hello Eurobricks!

6737852485_4190605691.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 1 by myko82, on Flickr

In late 2010 I decided to combine my two geek loves, LEGO and Star Trek. There is not a lot of good Star Trek MOCs on the net, there's some really cool micro-scale stuff but not much in the large category. I realised quickly that it would be impossible to construct a large scale USS Enterprise using pure LEGO, so I had to look for another ship. The USS Reliant from Wrath of Khan is much more compact and less spindly, so it seemed a suitable candidate. Many bricklink orders and bricks later (and over a year of prototyping and building) here she is! I have not counted the pieces (my sanity is grateful!) but I would estimate somewhere in the 10-15k range.

I don't like to ramble, so I'm just gonna let you enjoy the photos, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

6737857461_f59b8b30e3.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 1b by myko82, on Flickr

6737856425_0cacd7b3c3.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 8 by myko82, on Flickr

6737851777_d34545f3e4.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 2 by myko82, on Flickr

6737854353_cdeecb6833.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 4 by myko82, on Flickr

6737853587_4463725e9d.jpg

LEGO USS Reliant 3 by myko82, on Flickr

Edited by Myko

That's what I call UCS Star Trek 'Myko', excellent build...quite logical to keep a Vulcan happy, er, so to speak. :laugh:

Brick on up, Scotty....er, 'Myko' ! :grin:

(Yeah, I know Kirk never said Beam me up, Scotty :blush: )

Hello!

What a fantastic starship design! I always enjoy ships from the Star Trek Universe, and the Miranda-class starships are among my favourites. These ships can be seen from the classic series up into the newest series productions. You did an outstanding job recreating this vessel at this huge scale. I first thought the image was a reference picture when I realised this actaully already is the bricked version! :sweet:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Khaaaaaaaaan! :wink:

Wonderful ship the USS Reliant with it's nacelles under the saucer section as opposed to the Constitution class (like the Enterprise) having the nacelles above the saucer section. Seeing your MOC makes me want to watch again some of these fine Star Trek movies!

These Federation ships with the big round dish section are really hard to build in LEGO and you've managed to make it look pretty much perfect, yours looks just like the real thing :thumbup:

majQa'

WOW. I am in awe. I've made several stabs at building Lego Trek ships, and every time I have to give up because I can't get the kind of organic curve that is so typical of Star Trek designs. You have done that very thing wonderfully.

And with one of the better-looking Federation ships, too - I love the Reliant. It looks much more businesslike than the Constitution Class, but recognisably part of the same family.

Live long and prosper, dude.

Huge and beautiful! :oh: It's simply an astonishing model! The proportions and details appear to be very accurate. Have you run into any structural issues building such a model?

Wonderful! :wub: I love your docking bay detail!

6737855943_2f60c4e9ea_m.jpg

You beat me to it! But I got to do it on the frontpage. :grin:

Oh my god that's beautiful. There's so many details...

:drool: That's the closest emoticon I could find to how I feel about this.

Wow. The Reliant is my all time favorite ship from Star Trek and yours is just absolutely perfect. All the details, the shape of the hull... The nacelles! The shuttle bay is awesome. I put together an actual model (with glue and paint) kit of this ship a few years ago and this looks a ton better than that turned out. :wub:

I've been watching some Star Trek recently, and this looks superb. The shaping, the size, and the awesome details like the docking bay are amazing. Most certainly the best Star Trek ship I've seen.

Really great job :thumbup:

*oh2*:wub::wub_drool:

WOW. That is ... wow. There are no words....

:drool: That's the closest emoticon I could find to how I feel about this.

Wow. The Reliant is my all time favorite ship from Star Trek and yours is just absolutely perfect. All the details, the shape of the hull... The nacelles! The shuttle bay is awesome. I put together an actual model (with glue and paint) kit of this ship a few years ago and this looks a ton better than that turned out. :wub:

So I'll just borrow Cornelius's. Except I didn't make a plastic model of this. Khan is one of my favourite ever films; I absolutely love the Reliant, and you have rendered it perfectly. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:drool: The Miranda-class and WOK are some of my favourite parts of ST and this UCS rendition is absolutely stunning :wub:. The Reliant was so great in WOK, it's a shame it then spent all of DS9 been blown up and crashed into :grin:.

Note to Myko: do not attempt to crash a UCS Jem'Hadar attack ship into this fantastic model.

You beat me to it! But I got to do it on the frontpage. :grin:

Siegfrieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! :wink:

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments, and for the frontpage mention! *oh2* I'm on clouds today!

There was a lot of engineering difficulties in getting this to work. Originally I had wanted it to stand on the stand only, and have the nacelles be "in the air", but it soon became apparant that would never work with the thin nacelle supports. There's some funky things that happen with LEGO at this scale too, and you start wishing TLG used even higher precision in their molds.

Mr Man: I've considered building a Jem'Hadar battleship, but I'm seriously sick of curved surfaces right now! :D

Mr Man: I've considered building a Jem'Hadar battleship, but I'm seriously sick of curved surfaces right now! :D

So you're not doing this next? :grin:

185px-IRW_Haakona_destroys_Iconian_probe.jpg

Good job on the Reliant! I love to see high-quality Star Trek MOCs like this. The curve on the saucer section going up to the bridge is particularly impressive. :thumbup: