Sign in to follow this  
Der_Wanderer

Review: 9491: Geonosian Cannon

Hi everybody! Today I present to you review of one of the 2012 sets. It's not so big, but very interesting.

Some information about the set:

Theme: Star Wars

Year released: 2012

Pieces: 132

Minifigs: 4

RRP: £19.99 (In russia costs over 44 dollars :oh3: )

Set's box

We see nice box art and list of new minifigures.

dscf7005.jpg

On the back side there are some scenes with Geonosians and their cannon.

dscf7008.jpg

On the some other side we can see LEGO club logo and little picture of the set, but there is russian price tag on it.

dscf7016.jpg

Instructions

Next we see instruction with the copy of box's art on it.

dscf7019.jpg

The Figures:

Yeah, all-new 4 minifigures of this set. Barriss Offee, Commander Gree, Geonosian Warrior and Geonosian Zombie.(Boo!)

dscf7154.jpg

At first i would show you minifigure of commander Gree. Original non-lego character you can see on this link. Nice-painted, with print on his legs.

dscf7154.jpg

And how it looks without helmet:

dscf7032.jpg

Now you can see Barriss Offee, Jedi knight minifig. Minifig's body painted on only one side, because the other one is covered by short dark-blue cloak. That's how looks non-lego character.

dscf7038.jpg

Barriss has new face. Now she started to look a bit scared of something, I think. Her face's color a bit darker then standart star wars minifigs face's color.

dscf7042.jpg

Next are Geonosians, they both have wings unlike the 7959 set's geonosian minifigure.

scr_episode2_14022.jpg

They have some sonic blasters in their arms.

dscf7068.jpg

Сompared with the older Geonosians the new minifigs have extensive changes. Now they are much more detailed and similar to the original.

dscf7070.jpg

The new wings part on it's back:

dscf7076.jpg

Under the wings is something like shell.

dscf7062.jpg

Also we have a "zombie" - Gray Geonosian with empty eyes and broken wings.

dscf7087.jpg

They are identical in their structure. Heads looks a bit strange, I think I prefer the old heads.

dscf7092.jpg

The cannon

The LR1K sonic cannon, also known as the Geonosian sonic cannon or the Geonosian defense platform, was a high-powered artillery emplacement.

lr1k_2.jpg

dscf7113.jpg

It is bigger and more detalised than the old version from 4478.

dscf7111.jpg

dscf7103.jpg

It can shoot a pair of rockets hidden below.

dscf7114.jpg

dscf7124.jpg

With Geonosian warrior on it:

dscf7118.jpg

lr1k_1.2.jpg

dscf7120.jpg

-Fire!(I know that shot is drawn incorrectly :look: )

The battle begins!

dscf7125.jpg

And the defeated Geonosians trying to escape.

dscf7128.jpg

Fin.

A good set with nice minifigures and great cannon. I recommend it for all SW fans. I think that I really love new Geonosians and Barriss minifigures.

That's all, I hope you enjoyed the review. Sorry for my bad English.

:sweet:

Thanks for the awesome review!

You've taken some of the best,clearest and sharpest images of a set I've yet to see and I appreciate that. It really shows the details of the set off very well. I think I'll be getting this set for sure, it'll go well with my pair of Geonosian Starfighters, and as a nice bonus the minifigures included are really nice too.

Nice pictures! It would be better if you take pictures of the building process. That would give people a better idea of the set.

Nice review ,but $44 is insane. *oh2*

'Coz I am in Russia. I think we have normal prices for license series only on sales...

Thanks guys for you replies :)

Very nice review! I really like this set, the cannon is good the figs are great and the price (well in the UK) is good too.

Really nice sharp pictures D.W!

Excellent review. I appreciate the many "comparison pics" with the original subject matter from the Star Wars franchise. It definitely makes it clear how accurate this model is in some ways and inaccurate in a few others (but none that to me seem extremely important).

Great review, this set looks pretty sweet. I cannot wait to get my hands on one. I also think this is the introduction of the Blue hood if I am not mistaken.

This is an awesome review. I love when someone puts so much effort into a review. That Gree picture makes me want him even more.

Great job :thumbup:

Edited by Darth Yogi

Beautifully presented review, nice looking set nothing ground breaking, will pick up at least one as I don't have Barris yet

Is old Barris better?

I think that is really a matter of personal opinion - this Barris is a Clone Wars version, the older one is an Episode 3 version. The newer one has a more accurate cape and hood, but a more cartoonish face. I myself think the newer dark blue cape and hood on the older Baris would be the best combination. Really though it's just a matter of personal taste.

Looks like a nice set. I had already planned on picking it up for the Baris and the Gree, but it looks like there is a significant number of pieces in the less common reds and browns, that I will need to pick up (not that reddish brown is uncommon, but I need more of it.)

Thanks for the review!

I especially like commander gree and the geonosians. My clone troopers need another leader to fight more geonosians.

Thanks for the thorough review and the excellent pictures. My son and I want to army build the Geonosians. I know not too many people are crazy about them but my son wants our clones to fight something other than battle droids.

Great review, thanks. I think this set has a lot to offer. I like the Geonosian minifgures mainly due to the pretty cool wings. The rest of the set is pretty nice as well.

I'm not big on the new Geonosians. Although they are more detailed, they seem to more closely resemble the Clone Wars interpretations, and look almost robotic to me. I have the old Geonosians from the old version of the Geonosian fighter, and I think I prefer them.

The cannon is cool, but I think most people think of this set as a battle pack, so without compelling minifigs I don't see a reason to buy. :sceptic: Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the great review! :thumbup: