Lindinis Varro

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:02 PM

Lindinis Varro, an Avalonian Embassy in the harsh north of Mitgardia. Built on the ruins of an old ruined outpost surrouned by an icy lake, the Embassy has stood for many years now as an outpost of Avalonia and Mitgardia relations. Through the Embassy we try to keep a good relationship with our mighty northen brothers of Historica. We take it upon ourselves to protect this area of land in respect to our hosts who have kindly let us have this Embassy built here. The chief of the Embassy is a man named Prylig, who has been stationed here for so long that he is more Mitgardian in his ways than Avalonian and can speak their ancient language very well. However, he is a true proud Avalonian at heart, and is aided by a small group of Avalonian soldiers who are stationed here also. The Mitgardians have not had much contact with us these last few months and we fear what this means, however, it was written in agreement that if any trouble were to come between our two great lands, then our emissaries would have a safe passage home. Lets hope it will never come to this.......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is my first attempt at building a winter snow scene and you have to understand how hard it was to resist using all the usual green! :laugh: Its partially inspired by Dragon's Reach from Skyrim which I do actually plan to build a propper version of at a latter date. I also wanted to a new baseplate design that would allow for a small subtle use of Avalonia's color.

I will add the base design and a few other notable features in the guide, as people might find them useful.

Thanks for viewing, now I can get cracking on some more Avalonian builds :classic:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#2 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

A great creation! :wub:  I't has a fierce Norse look, and although there is no green, nice job on the snow! :classic: I'm also really liking the design of your bridge and npu of the "square barrel" used as wall-element. :thumbup:

Edited by Ecclesiastes, 14 January 2012 - 04:34 PM.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#3 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Member: 15677

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

You sir, you sir, you cease to amaze me and everyone else with your magnificent amount of detail.  Just to name a few, the use of those white plumes as snow in the bushes and the border are amazing, I never would have thought of using those.  Truly inspirational, your collection of bricks must be impressive, I can't imagine how much you'd spend on BL orders to get all of those pieces, those trans medium blue plates don't come cheap and the time you put into your mocs to achieve this level of detail words can't describe, you leave me speechless, I know I'm kissing bottom here but you deserve it   :cry_happy:   :thumbup:

Edited by CptMugwash, 14 January 2012 - 04:41 PM.

Please check out my Flickr and MOCpages.
Kcaj Nosnikta of the Kaliphlin Guild

#4 turtleman2020

turtleman2020

Member: 23684

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Even a Nocturnian must recognize the awesomeness here :sweet:

#5 Hersbrucker

Hersbrucker

• WIP it good

Member: 22070

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:37 PM

That is amazing  *oh2*

You are the master Posted Image

Posted Image

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Henry Royce †

My BL Shop______My MOCpages

#6 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:38 PM

Spot on again Dc! Great job on this one, fun to see you stepping out of your comfort zone and build in a snowy landscape!

Great details like the barrels as walls, the entrance to the embassy and the snowy effect on the roofs! The custom made flag is also perfect! Where did you find those colours?! They match Avalonia perfect!

The pics with the maps behind is a nice touch!

Can´t wait to see more from you great Leader!

Edited by de Gothia, 14 January 2012 - 06:39 PM.

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#7 kabel

kabel

• lower case

Member: 6745

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:41 PM

As always I'm left with a dropped jaw when I see your Lego creations. I really like how you captured the winter landscape and put your typical house in it. Great job!!
Steen Larsson
Carpenter
Royal Architect of Mitgardia and Vice Admiral of the Mitgardian fleet

Posted Image   Posted Image

My Brickshelf

My Flickr

Medieval Ships

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#8 Si-MOCs

Si-MOCs

• SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP! SPACESHIP!

Member: 16567

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

Wonderful creation as always.

There is so much to love about this. as always it's all the little details.
But you always find such an amazing way to intertwining it all together.

Bravo
Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image Posted Image
I'd seek professional help - but I spent the money on LEGO. | flickr

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

• Big Horn Historican

Member: 9064

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Simply amazing, as always! Can't wait to see the additions to the guide!
Avalonia forever!

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves

#10 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Can't Build With One Arm Tied Behind His Back

Member: 22773

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

Awesome creation! (as usual with your creations) I love everything about it.

Posted Image Posted Image

Legonardo

Posted Image

Flickr

#11 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Member: 4147

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:00 PM

Hey your pretty good, ever think of doing a tutorial? ;)

So many nice details that I and many others try to emulate in our MOCs.  Great inspirations for us all.

I would love to see more photos though, especially of the tower portion and the part above the windows on the side is intriguing as well.

Looking forward to the Mystic Isle build you eluded to as well!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lord Arlindus, Captain of Circardia and the Phoenix Guard, Avalonia Guildsman

#12 Basiliscus

Basiliscus

Member: 890

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Lovely work Luke. You've captured the northern atmosphere well. The snow work is excellent - particularly around the bushes etc (as I mentioned on Flickr). There's a lot of lovely small details to admire.

I would say that the water surrounding the building is a bit bland being a simple studs up construction - for most AFOLs it would be acceptable, but I feel that for a builder of your talent (being one of my favourites!  :thumbup: ) I would say I expected more. I am being harsh here though, it's only a very minor part of an otherwise fantastic MOC.

Edited by Basiliscus, 15 January 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Wahil Musca, slaver and entrepreneur of Kaliphlin, ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

Latest MOCs
Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image-Posted Image

Flickr

#13 Maxim I

Maxim I

• Hippy kicker

Member: 22634

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Wow! third time I watched the pictures this week, and still it's amazing!

Everywhere you could possible imagine some details, you did it!

Also the base is something most of us only can dream of...

About the water: I don't really agree about being bland. It gives a cold glance at the water.

Lord Damaximus of Stedor, loyal to the guild of KALIPHLIN!

East Stedor  - West Stedor

Posted Image   Posted Image
my flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/76053512@N04/

#14 Rolli

Rolli

• Not a student of Geography

Member: 11104

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

Indeed, genious. But I think that is something, we expect from our leader ;)

As these challenges are to improve ourselves, I'd like to add something:
The build itself has a very norse look and feel but to me, the Avalonian part is missing too much. Sure we should incorporate both settings, but to me it feels that it's too much Mitgardian - like we Avalonians bought a Mitgardian house, put our flag on it and named it embassy.

Don't get me wrong, the build itself is excellent. It perfectly suits the Mitgardian feel and I myself think that it pushes Mitgardia even more and that Derfel once more establishes a style. For another guild.
The inspiration from Skyrim is in fact not to be overlooked ;) - marched over the bridge to Dragon's Reach once more just 30 minutes ago ;) But anyway, I'm loving this.

Now I need to refurbish some of my ideas.. Didn't even start with this challenge :/ (but my reservoir of dark green cheese slopes is constantly growing ;) )

Best regards, i hope you aren't offended!

Sir Moriartus

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sir Moriartus of Moria, Avalonia, Guilds of Historica

| my flickr |

#15 De Sandman

De Sandman

Member: 18618

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

:pir_bawling:  :pir_bawling:  :pir_bawling:  :pir_bawling: you build so enormously good looking buildings/landscapes etc.....i always  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: your moc's

HAIL AVALONIA!Siege Expert / High Chief Of Agriculture / Lord High Executioner

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Check my new ship the Prinses Nikki

My Brickshelf

#16 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

Thankyou for all your great comments!

The material I used for the banner was bought at my local Hobbycraft shop, I took in a dark green and sand green brick and went through all the materials they had till I found a matching colour. Its pretty much as close as you can get.

I didn't mess too much around with the water as there is only a small section showing around the moc, If It had been a large open lake then I would have added something to it, but I left it bare as I didn't want to cover what little part there is showing.

View PostRolli, on 15 January 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Indeed, genious. But I think that is something, we expect from our leader ;)

As these challenges are to improve ourselves, I'd like to add something:
The build itself has a very norse look and feel but to me, the Avalonian part is missing too much. Sure we should incorporate both settings, but to me it feels that it's too much Mitgardian - like we Avalonians bought a Mitgardian house, put our flag on it and named it embassy.

Don't get me wrong, the build itself is excellent. It perfectly suits the Mitgardian feel and I myself think that it pushes Mitgardia even more and that Derfel once more establishes a style. For another guild.
The inspiration from Skyrim is in fact not to be overlooked ;) - marched over the bridge to Dragon's Reach once more just 30 minutes ago ;) But anyway, I'm loving this.

Now I need to refurbish some of my ideas.. Didn't even start with this challenge :/ (but my reservoir of dark green cheese slopes is constantly growing ;) )

Best regards, i hope you aren't offended!

Sir Moriartus

No offense taken, I like to hear some critique as it helps me to improve.  The way I looked at it was, its an old Mitgardian ruin that has been built up with wooden timber sections by the Avalonians. I suppose it does look very Mitgardian, but I think I just really wanted to build something inspired by Skyrim, so it just naturally turned out looking more Mitgardian.

Thanks for your comments and feedback, always most appreciated :thumbup:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#17 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• Little Boney

Member: 1043

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

A little different in color and style from your other works, but still very "you".

Very detailed, good landscaping, a few new techniques... a very nice addition to our lands (technically it is our lands I suppose)...

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!

Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

#18 Palathadric

Palathadric

• Makes other members' internet speeds seem ridiculously fast

Member: 19379

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:36 AM

I'm at a loss for words, Derfel. This is simply too good. Everything about this MOC is unbelievable. Seriously! I love the bridge in particular, but maybe that's just because it stands out a bit because when I look at the rest of the MOC I am, once again, rendered quite speechless. This has to be one of the best builds even amongst your collection. Your best for Avalonia, eh?
They that love God will never meet for the last time.
This life isn't the end. We will meet again.
Posted Image     Posted Image     Posted Image
Brickshelf Account
See my work in the Official Lego sets made in LDraw topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users