Nebsirob

REVIEW : 5000030 Kendo Jay

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

6680837451_a264aa6856.jpg

Set Number: 5000030

Name: Kendo Jay

Theme: Ninjago

Year of Release: 2012

Pieces: 31 (including minifig-parts & game card)

Minifigs: 1

Price: free, for any purchase at Lego & S@H above 55 Euros

BrickLink BrickSet

---------------------------------

This is a review of a Ninjago Booster featuring Kendo Jay.

6680837869_869ddcc863.jpg

The green bag shows all it's contents on the front side.

It also shows the Ninjago-logo, and some snake-scales heading from the upper left, to the lower right corner.

The back shows the actual size minifig. The set number is written above the barcode.

6680835791_ddb4651ddb_m.jpg6680835591_2f611ac4ef_m.jpg

After opening the bag, we get a smaller bag with the actual parts, and the game card (loose inside the big bag),

which is kinda blurry on my pic, since I forgot to make a macro shot, and it's holographic.

There are no instructions, or promotional leaflets in this set.

6680836263_2f4b3e2cd0.jpg

The minifig has a nice torso-, and leg-printing. Unfortunally, this can't be seen, when the armor is attached.

Kendo Jay has a serious face expression and a scar at his right eyebrow. The helmet came in an extra bag, inside the big one.

6680836751_f43de6219a.jpg

The weapons consist of various sticks (lightsaber blades, and bars), spikes, lightsaber hilts, axe heads, trans blue slopes,

a trans blue warning light, a pearl gold spear, and a reddish brown pitchfork.

Since we have no instructions, we have to assemble the weapons with the reference-pic on the package.

6680835997_1d2d49dcaf_m.jpg

After the "build", we have nine weapons: 3 spears, a pitchfork, an axe, a mace (at least, I think, it is supposed to be one),

a (kendo-)stick, a stick with a warning light, and a double-bladed-stick.

6680836997_33558a0a55.jpg

We also get a ring-like piece, with a nice lightning-pattern. According to BrickLink, it is a "Spinner Crown".

6680837191_96558af161.jpg

The bottom of the spinner crown. Since it features four 1x2 bottom-holes, it can easily be used für MOCs.

Verdict

Price : na - Since, I got this for free, I have no complains :laugh:

Minifig : 9/10 - I like the armor, and the printing. Unfortunally, Jay has no printing on the back.

Parts : 7/10 - Except, for the minifig-parts, only the spinner crown, and the small bars with side-studs are worth mentioning. And it's always nice, go get another pitchfork.

6680836519_5a0bececc9.jpg

Thank you for the read.

Neb

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Thanks for the review! I also got this free with a purchase of the X-Wing fighter, but it's strange it's the only booster pack that includes a spinner crown :sceptic:

It was a nice gift for free, that's for sure. But I don't know if I would have purchased it separately. I wanted the new ninja versions, but now I'm not so sure. I like to second-guess my decisions a lot when it comes to purchases. I originally wanted the Destiny's Bounty, but holding the box in hand I didn't care as much. So who knows.

But thank you for the review. It covers everything well. I do like some of the weapons.

Keep up the reviews!

Did LEGO do an exclusive mold for the mask, just for a polybag? If so, I am rather impressed.

No. The same Kendo mask appears in several other sets: 9446, 9455, 9456, 9457, 9551, 9558, and 9563. It's a lovely piece, but it's not exclusive to this set by any means (although it is new this year).

A decent freebie, if nothing more for a bunch of accessories

Not a big fan of the Kendo armor though, I much prefer DX

Though that is a very bizarre set number

So happy that this has the pitchfork and the blue blades! Going to be using those in my Castle MOCs. Just bought a lot at the LEGO store and got 5 of these babies! :grin:

No. The same Kendo mask appears in several other sets: 9446, 9455, 9456, 9457, 9551, 9558, and 9563. It's a lovely piece, but it's not exclusive to this set by any means (although it is new this year).

Thank you. I usually hang out in SW, but I drop in on Ninjago every once in a while.

In all my time going through this forum, I have never seen a ninja with a pitchfork. Now give him a torch and we can start a riot :devil: !

Man, I want this pack. Maybe it'll be on a well-known auction site; I can only hope...liking the Kendo helmet.

Edited by GeluNumber1