REVIEW : 9551 Kendo Cole

22 replies to this topic

#1 daro

daro

Member: 17127

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Posted Image
Hi everyone, just thought I would do a review on this Ninjago booster pack since it's my first Ninjago buy. The Ninjago theme never really appealed to me although I remember wanting the old ninja sets when I was young. Well, I saw this booster pack at a reasonable price and the main thing that attracted me was the Kendo mask! Alright here goes  :classic:

Name     : Kendo Cole
Set no.  : 9551
Theme    : Ninjago
Release  : 2012
Parts    : 28
Minifig  : 1
Price    : RM19.90, US$4.99, GBP3.99, EUR5.19

Front
Posted Image

Back
Posted Image

Nice attractive polybag design on both front and back. I guess minus the card packaging and spinner explains the cheaper price.

Contents
Posted Image

*I didn't open the pack of cards, but if anyone wants to see what cards are inside let me know

All parts in one bag.

Instructions & advertisements
Posted Image

Parts & Weapons
Posted Image

Really weird weapon designs shown in the instructions but another thing I'm happy with is the chains included plus the lightsaber handles in black!= cool nunchucks!!I know the parts are used for the spinners but it'll be useful for other MOCs since I don't plan on getting those spinners.

New Parts:
Front
Posted Image

I don't know if this is a new part but it sure is new to me.

Back
Posted Image

Minifig:
Posted Image

Cole with super thick eyebrows

Posted Image

With so many choices of weapons, obviously only the kendo stick is suitable for KENDO Cole :laugh:

Verdict

Price   :   9/10 - Legos here(Malaysia) are usually twice the price of US prices, so it's almost the same price for this
Minifig :   9/10 - Nice face print and of course the awesome Kendo mask!
Parts   :   9/10 - As mentioned above, the nunchucks that can be made from the parts and wide selection of weapons to use

It's a really cool pack to start with if you haven't had any Ninjago sets before this. Some useful parts and weapons at your disposal too! Would totally recommend this to every non-Ninjago collector!

*This is my first review or mini-review so all comments and advice are much appreciated! Thanks for looking!

Edited by Rufus, 11 February 2012 - 04:25 PM.
Indexed

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

Thanks for this review 'daro', Kendo Cole looks fantastic....even if you don't have spinners and you just want the figure in armour and those cool weapons....oh, yeah and some parts too ! :wink:
Brick On Review On Spin On 'daro' ! :grin:

#3 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

Great review! I've seen some pics where the printing on the Kendo mask is slightly off-register, but yours looks perfectly aligned so I guess that isn't a problem with all copies of this set.

The silver 6M chains, the sai, and the golden chainsaw blade would definitely be the selling points for this sets IMO, since Kendo Cole isn't by any means a rare figure in the 2012 wave of sets.

I suppose for kids interested in the Spinjitzu game, the cards could be a selling point, but they're not all that remarkable as far as I can tell. They can be seen here if you click "Images". The Kendo Cole character card has somewhat mediocre stats, and can't use the Liquefy or Rock Force cards also included unless Flash'n'Burn is played first. So the intended strategy seems to be to use Flash'n'Burn (when holding a golden weapon, of course) to raise your Fire and Earth SP, then use Rock Force to make use of the parts in the booster pack. Of course, the thing about a booster pack like this is that it pretty much counts on the fact that you will also be buying a spinner set, hence the presence of the "Backup Plan" card that while usable has little strategic value using this set's cards by themselves.

I think I'm a little old to totally get into the swing of the Spinjitzu game, but having played with Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and Beyblade battle tops in my childhood, I can understand the Spinjitzu game's appeal. I can also respect it as TLG's first attempt at a trading card promotion that actually integrates the LEGO toys in a meaningful way-- certainly far better than the Knights' Kingdom II cards, although like those the value of these cards to an AFOL is probably in the lovely character art and not the gameplay component.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Lordofdragonss

Lordofdragonss

Member: 5310

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

View PostAanchir, on 10 January 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

I think I'm a little old to totally get into the swing of the Spinjitzu game, but having played with Pokemon cards, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and Beyblade battle tops in my childhood, I can understand the Spinjitzu game's appeal. I can also respect it as TLG's first attempt at a trading card promotion that actually integrates the LEGO toys in a meaningful way-- certainly far better than the Knights' Kingdom II cards, although like those the value of these cards to an AFOL is probably in the lovely character art and not the gameplay component.

Me and my friends pretty enjoy this game, it greatly combines cards and spinners. And just add some your own minifigs and make some cards by yourself and you get even better game :D

Thanks for the great review- I'm sure that I will try to get all boosterpacks, just for pieces :D

Edited by Lordofdragonss, 10 January 2012 - 06:18 PM.

High Chief Of Agriculture of Avalonia
Avalonian Orc Commander

#5 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thanks for the review. For some reason I am liking these new Ninjago figures. I don't care for any of the sets and do not plan on spinning in the future.

This looks like a good figure and piece pack, if equipping an army for other purposes.

Keep up the reviews. We'll keep reading them.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#6 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

Member: 17142

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

Good looking figure, will pick one up if i see it the shops, thx for the review
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#7 daro

daro

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

thanks for all the comments and insight!I would definitely try to improve on giving more opinions. The kendo actually has a very small part where the paint was not covered so I guess it's not such a big deal! looking forward to doing more reviews!! thanks again!

#8 Esurient

Esurient

• aka Romeo

Member: 17675

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Thanks for the great review. The only reason why I am interested in Ninjago is because of their minifigs. These booster series are a great way of collecting Ninjago minifigs without buying the sets. Does anyone know where these booster packs are made in?
Now appearing as Elin Surefoot 397 years old Dwarven Cleric in Sandy's Cruel Angel's Thesis

#9 daro

daro

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

I dunno if the photo is clear enough but if you can see the back part of the packet it says components made in Denmark,Sweden,Mexico and Czech rep, all pretty high quality parts which is another great selling point!

#10 Huntleyfx

Huntleyfx

Member: 5179

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

I think I will definitely pick up this, it even makes a great addition to my old-school Ninjas.
"Everything is more impressive when done to the saber dance."- Overheard backstage.

#11 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thank you for the review!
I will probably pick this up, but I don't think it's worth two CMFs :sceptic:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#12 CptMugwash

CptMugwash

Member: 15677

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the review, I'll be keeping my eye out for these in my local toy store, I'd like a couple of those masks and those sais are pretty cool.  Also that golden chainsaw blade would make a cool zombie killing weapon in an apocalypse rpg.
Cheers.
Please check out my Flickr and MOCpages.
Kcaj Nosnikta of the Kaliphlin Guild

#13 sharky

sharky

Member: 17931

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Not a bad mix of parts and a decent minifigure.  I'll be sure to pick it up.

#14 GeluNumber1

GeluNumber1

Member: 23290

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:45 AM

I may get one fo these Kendo Packs if I stumble upoun some extra cash sometime. Doesn't seem like a good action figure, but the parts are sweet.
What are you waiting for?
Just surrender here tonight
What are you waiting for?

#15 the enigma that is badger

the enigma that is badger

• I don't make 'em, I just hype 'em!

Member: 2134

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Postdaro, on 10 January 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Minifig:
Posted Image

Cole with super thick eyebrows
Kendo Cole . . . or Bogden from Breaking Bad?

Posted Image
"I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

Flickr

#16 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

Member: 22977

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

I wish that the Lightsaber hilt were gold. That would be :wub_drool: :wub_drool:

#17 just2good

just2good

• Bothan Spy #8

Member: 4916

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

Nice review!
I like the new idea of these Ninjago booster packs... I just wished they were $3. :blush:
There are some cool pieces in this one, including the Kendo helmet and the round 2x2 brick with grille. :classic:

#18 Or2Me2

Or2Me2

Member: 12685

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Does anyone know what the round brick with the ridges is used for?

#19 Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus

Member: 20608

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostOr2Me2, on 05 March 2012 - 02:39 PM, said:

Does anyone know what the round brick with the ridges is used for?
Part of the spinner game, you put it on the bottom of the spinner between the 2 x 2 curved inverted tile and the spinnner to make your spinner higher than the opponent's to give you an advantage.
Dak Shadeaux, Level 15 Black Knight
HP: 30/30 Ether: 0/0
SP: 12 Power: 25 (20 for ranged attacks)
Gold: 3 Artifacts: Trendy Handbag (protects wearer from whatever bad effect was inflicted to a party member last)*protects from badly poisoned-effect*, Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)
Inventory: Black Sword (WP:10, lightning-elemental), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Fauxthril Shield (SP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 5 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Pheonix Essence, 3 Meads, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel, Aquamarine.

#20 Or2Me2

Or2Me2

Member: 12685

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

View PostDarth Nihilus, on 05 March 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Part of the spinner game, you put it on the bottom of the spinner between the 2 x 2 curved inverted tile and the spinnner to make your spinner higher than the opponent's to give you an advantage.

Thanks, dude!

#21 Im a brickmaster.

Im a brickmaster.

• Apostrofree

Member: 26931

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

I always did like the Ninjago theme as a whole, and I have been thinking about getting this
pack for the weapons and spinner parts. As for the game, I do actuly like it and it's a little
cooler then it sounds. :tongue:  :laugh:
I. Am. Iron Man.                                                                                                                                            Being ignored since 2012!

#22 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

Member: 22977

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostLEGOman273, on 01 February 2012 - 06:51 PM, said:

I wish that the Lightsaber hilt were gold. That would be :wub_drool: :wub_drool:
:thumbup:
Wub-Drooling is in order.
:wub_drool: :wub_drool:

Edited by LEGOman273, 05 April 2012 - 04:29 PM.

#23 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostLEGOman273, on 05 April 2012 - 04:28 PM, said:

:thumbup:
Wub-Drooling is in order.
:wub_drool: :wub_drool:
Gold ones will be included in 9570 NRG Jay, 9572 NRG Cole, and 9591 Tool Pack (NRG Kai vs. Chokun, which has two of them), so if you're really itching for gold lightsaber handles and don't mind buying spinner sets, you won't have to wait more than a month or two!

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users