Paul B Technic

New to Trains - Some Questions

Hi all,

I am very new to the whole Lego Train world having being a Lego City fan for the first 10 years of my life and then moving on to Lego Technic for the last 18 years on and off. I sold all my Lego Technic late last year and now I have purchased my first train (7939) which I built over the weekend. I now have some questions:

1- Should / does anybody else's train fly off the tracks at higher speeds? I have already crashed quite a few times and as mine is up off the floor on my desk it breaks when it flies off.

2- I am getting my head around the various systems used in the past as I have never had anything to do with trains before, can the older rolling stock be used with this train / track?

3- Due to the space I have to set this up I can't lay out the track like it shows on the box so I have done it a different way so it fits in the space I have, does anybody have any suggestions for possible layouts using the track from this set?

Thanks

Paul

Hi 'Paul B', I think I can help you with your questions,

1- Should / does anybody else's train fly off the tracks at higher speeds? I have already crashed quite a few times and as mine is up off the floor on my desk it breaks when it flies off.

At higher speeds, trains do tend to derail on regular curve tracks. If you run them at high speed you need to make longer gradual bends using straight tracks but, this requires a lot of space and track. It's easiest just to run them a bit slower, I used to run mine at a mid range.

2- I am getting my head around the various systems used in the past as I have never had anything to do with trains before, can the older rolling stock be used with this train / track?

Yes, all trains from the 1960's to present use the same gauge track and are interchangeable. When it comes to motors, there are specifics. 9V motors to 9V tracks, 12V to 12V tracks, etc. Power Functions (PF) and RC can run on any track as they need no electrical contacts to get power.

3- Due to the space I have to set this up I can't lay out the track like it shows on the box so I have done it a different way so it fits in the space I have, does anybody have any suggestions for possible layouts using the track from this set?

This one, I can only say, trial and error. Whatever you can make fit and will provide a full circle for the train will do. A smaller circle is about all you can do with this layout.

Hope this helps default_classic.gif

This question was asked of LEGO by AFOL train fans some years ago; The answer is they are supposed to crash because kids like them better that way. :classic: Just don't use full speed if you don't want them to crash.

Happens a lot. Go slower :)

My toddler loves crashing them. Among his first words: 'bang', 'crash' and 'uh oh'. :tongue:

At school we also noticed that the red passenger trains (7938) easily fly from the tracks indeed :) we will need to lower there speed in the controller that my students create.

At school we also noticed that the red passenger trains (7938) easily fly from the tracks indeed :) we will need to lower there speed in the controller that my students create.

What I do is insert two dummy batteries (something to conduct the electricity from one end to the other) and 4 actual batteries (I prefer rechargeable ones). That makes the train speed easier to manage.

I fit my train locos with two motors. This gives god traction but also adds lots of weight very low down which makes the train more stable. I often drive my trains at full speed on curves and they have never come off.

Cheers

Rog

They are supposed to fly off at full speed, that is part of the fun, it is LEGO and can be rebuilt assuming you can find all the bits! On a more sensible note for older users just don't go as fast.

The way the trucks join together has changed as well over the years. In the early stages of 4.5V (Blue track.) I used to get connectors that were little hooks that went into an opposite hole. They never came uncoupled as they were actually touching and hooked. Then they changed to magnets, blue and red if I recall. I found those magnets not so good and you could only pull about two trucks before they came apart. Nowadays the magnets are much better and if they are not strong enough you can pop a little 1X2 plate over them which works fine. (Not sure what connectors they have in 12V era as I have not had dealings with them.

Space is a real issue. For me I have to use the floor and keep taking it up and putting it down. I have not even got room for a small loop, so whatever you can manage will be better than nothing.

Hi all,

I am very new to the whole Lego Train world having being a Lego City fan for the first 10 years of my life and then moving on to Lego Technic for the last 18 years on and off. I sold all my Lego Technic late last year and now I have purchased my first train (7939) which I built over the weekend. I now have some questions:

Thanks

Paul

1. Yes, considering the sharp turning radius of the LEGO track, should your train run at a high speed it will derail on a sharp curve, especially if it does not have enough traction.

2. All LEGO trains since 1966 are backwards compatible in one way or another. Battery box trains should run on the 9v standard. 9v trains are the most compatible with RC/PF as it was a new electronics system rather than a whole new system. However a 3-rail 12v train will NOT run on a 9v or 4.5v.

3. I would consider an expansion pack but with enough curves you can be able to do a double balloon loop for the most lineal run. The set only has enough for 16 curves, which can only procure wide circles/ovals.