Jump to content


Octuptarra magna tri-droid


35 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman792

Iceman792

    Posts: 14
    Joined: 21-November 11
    Member: 22178

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image
The tri-droid was an up-scaled version of the smaller octuptarra combat tri-droid. The Techno Union developed the combat version first, re-using the design later for the much larger heavy artillery version of an infantry battle droid.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Big shootout and thanks to BrickDoctor for the superb photo-editing!

#2 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21436
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

I'll say it again, this model has everything - shaping, coloring, detailing, parts usage - but what I really love is the legs. You've used a style of building there that usually looks rather thick and blocky, but you've used it to capture the spindly appearance of the Octuptarra's legs.

Posted Image

#3 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3758
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:09 AM

That's really nice Iceman792, I not a fan of the head technique (in general not just this MOC), but I can't think how else to do it at this scale. But I agree with Brickdoctor on the legs, they're fantastic (especialy the feet :grin:).
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

  • Straight Up Cero!


    Posts: 2972
    Joined: 30-August 10
    Member: 12949
    Country: Canada

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Are those hats on the legs? :laugh:
This is really fantastic, very detailed and amazing!
Well done! :sweet:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Doing the Chicken Dance


    Posts: 19607
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:34 PM

Perfection is what you have created ' Iceman792 ', and it's hard to capture a sphere with Lego in this scale...still I say you nailed it.
:classic:

#6 trooper 278

trooper 278

    Posts: 106
    Joined: 06-August 09
    Member: 6931
    Country: Czech republic

Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:38 PM

Amazing,
really great work all over!

#7 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2100
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

Very nice! I love the use of the fisherman's hat!

#8 KisKatona

KisKatona

    Posts: 84
    Joined: 24-August 11
    Member: 20001
    Country: America

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Wow, that is amazing! It looks like the real thing. You should make a Christophsis MOC with it.
Katona
There's strong. Then there's Army strong. Hooah!
"We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the Middle East."-Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia
PS3 Gamertag-dborbely7

#9 lego envy

lego envy

    Posts: 285
    Joined: 22-October 11
    Member: 21089
    Country: USA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

I'm not really a fan of this droid, but i think you did a fantastic job creating it..A+ for this one... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Posted Image

#10 Hollander

Hollander

    Posts: 529
    Joined: 06-May 11
    Member: 17672
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Awesome work. This thing is detailed to the bone. The combination of the sphere on top with the detailed and thin legs looks just great. You should indeed put this in a larger scene. Great work overall!  :thumbup:

#11 Iceman792

Iceman792

    Posts: 14
    Joined: 21-November 11
    Member: 22178

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Thank-you guys!

#12 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1295
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

This droid looks pretty good, great work on the dome head
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#13 pedro

pedro

  • Crazy Junction Master


    Posts: 1345
    Joined: 13-February 07
    Member: 1364
    Country: England.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

Posted Image

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.

#14 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 596
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

 pedro, on 08 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

Posted Image

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.

Pedro I hear what you’re saying! Unfortunately there’s a lot of this type of thing going on around here. Even worse is that it is condoned and allowed in the blog. I hate when people try to insult the intelligence of this community. They may be able to steal your ideas, but they’ll never have your talent! Keep up the good work!
IDEAS
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image  
flickr

#15 CallMePie

CallMePie

  • DAMN Heroica badass


    Posts: 12432
    Joined: 27-August 09
    Member: 7199
    Country: Florida, USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:07 PM

Wow.  :sceptic: This is an extraordinarily similar design. I can't see how this isn't a copy in at least some way, the legs are practically identical. But I must say, that's one of the best tri-droids on the forum, pedro. The scale and build is spot-on.  :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 34 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 5 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#16 trooper 278

trooper 278

    Posts: 106
    Joined: 06-August 09
    Member: 6931
    Country: Czech republic

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:10 PM

 CallMePieOrDie, on 08 February 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Wow.  :sceptic: This is an extraordinarily similar design. I can't see how this isn't a copy in at least some way, the legs are practically identical. But I must say, that's one of the best tri-droids on the forum, pedro. The scale and build is spot-on.  :thumbup:

Absolutely agree!

#17 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

 Dapper-D2, on 08 February 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

Pedro I hear what you’re saying! Unfortunately there’s a lot of this type of thing going on around here. Even worse is that it is condoned and allowed in the blog. I hate when people try to insult the intelligence of this community.

Excuse me, but does this really happen as often as you claim? I haven't heard or seen of someone else's work copied here without credit to the original MOCer since someone posted one of Masked Builder's vignettes on another forum (and even that, if I recall correctly, turned out to be a misunderstanding). Anio has said in the past that his Executor was influenced by Lasse's, cavegod's Lambda-class shuttle by dmac's, etc. :sceptic: Could you perhaps give more examples of "this type of thing"?

And 'condoned and allowed in the blog'? Surely you can't mean our blog? (Not to mention that 'condone' and 'allow' basically mean the same thing...)

Edited by Fallenangel, 08 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.


#18 Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus

    Posts: 1815
    Joined: 24-September 11
    Member: 20608
    Country: US of A

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

 pedro, on 08 February 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Hey Iceman,

I can't help but draw attention to the striking similiarity this bears to my own version of the Tri Droid from 2009. The picture below is a link to my original post:

(Snip)

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.

Now I'm don't mind people drawing inspiration from my creations or copying the construction techniques that's taken me time and effort to figure out - not at all - in fact I'm only too happy to help and provide additional information if I can. It's one of the very best parts about our community - the ability to inspire and share with each other.

But please, if you do choose to use or copy someones work... at the very least acknowledge it.
Sorry, but I don't see barely any reseblance between the two, besides perhaps the need of a stand, and that is pretty much impossible to avoid in order  to make an accurate Tri-Droid, due to the small feet and large 'head'. The only reason I can see that you think that there is so much similarity is due to the fact that Tri-Droids all look the same. There is almost no similarity between yours and Iceman's besides the fact that the both are Tri-Droids and perhaps both used the same references. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Iceman was 'heavily influenced' by your version. Another striking difference between the two is that yours is obviously based on the RotS version (Grey 'head' with no blue) while his is influenced by the TCW version (Blue on the 'head').
Dak Shadeaux, Level 15 Black Knight
HP: 30/30 Ether: 0/0
SP: 12 Power: 25 (20 for ranged attacks)
Gold: 3 Artifacts: Trendy Handbag (protects wearer from whatever bad effect was inflicted to a party member last)*protects from badly poisoned-effect*, Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)
Inventory: Black Sword (WP:10, lightning-elemental), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Fauxthril Shield (SP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 5 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Pheonix Essence, 3 Meads, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel, Aquamarine.
.

#19 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21436
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

 Fallenangel, on 08 February 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

And 'condoned and allowed in the blog'? Surely you can't mean our blog?
I assume that refers to the fact that I blogged and showcased the MOC. I can see how it might seem that way, though I had never seen pedro's MOC before today. :blush:

#20 pedro

pedro

  • Crazy Junction Master


    Posts: 1345
    Joined: 13-February 07
    Member: 1364
    Country: England.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:33 PM

 Darth Nihilus, on 08 February 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Sorry, but I don't see barely any reseblance between the two, besides perhaps the need of a stand, and that is pretty much impossible to avoid in order  to make an accurate Tri-Droid, due to the small feet and large 'head'. The only reason I can see that you think that there is so much similarity is due to the fact that Tri-Droids all look the same. There is almost no similarity between yours and Iceman's besides the fact that the both are Tri-Droids and perhaps both used the same references. I'm sorry, but I don't see how Iceman was 'heavily influenced' by your version. Another striking difference between the two is that yours is obviously based on the RotS version (Grey 'head' with no blue) while his is influenced by the TCW version (Blue on the 'head').

Nihilus, Iceman has used techniques - some almost identical - to build his Tri Droid that are present in mine. If someone chooses to do this then they should credit the originator - it's only fair. You might not see the simlarities but I do, plain as day.

Your comment that all Tri Droids look the same doesn't even remotely hold water in this instance as every builder's interpretation and approach to buidling an MOC is completely different, resulting in a creation that bears their a very specific method of construction. Search for LEGO Tri Droid online and you'll find numerous versions that look distinctly different (and some very cool ones at that).

#21 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3758
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:37 PM

The design of the legs especialy the feet and the top joints are almost the same as pedro's (incidentally yours is fantastic pedro :sweet:), the head however is entirely new, and parts of the legs have been changes. It is probably heavily influenced by pedro's but without ,as he said, any credit. However if you have just come across images on the 'net with no name it could be difficult to attribute influence correctly.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus

    Posts: 1815
    Joined: 24-September 11
    Member: 20608
    Country: US of A

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

 pedro, on 08 February 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Nihilus, Iceman has used techniques - some almost identical - to build his Tri Droid that are present in mine. If someone chooses to do this then they should credit the originator - it's only fair. You might not see the simlarities but I do, plain as day.

Your comment that all Tri Droids look the same doesn't even remotely hold water in this instance as every builder's interpretation and approach to buidling an MOC is completely different, resulting in a creation that bears their a very specific method of construction. Search for LEGO Tri Droid online and you'll find numerous versions that look distinctly different (and some very cool ones at that).
Not exactly. I agree with the 'no builder's style is the same' point, but there is no reason to say that someone is copying or is heavily influenced by your MOC if they used some of your techniques (Which they very well might have come up with on their own, I might add) and the rest of the MOC bears absolutely no or very slight similarity to yours. The head of this is very, very different than yours (Larger, and made from 1 X 2 With One Knob pieces instead of made with a Lowell Sphere and some plates, cheese slopes and tiles), as are the feet and legs (The legs are longer, and slightly more detailed on Iceman's MOC). Also, just since Iceman used SNOT on the legs and you did as well, does that make Iceman's MOC a copy? Because that's basically what you are saying.
Dak Shadeaux, Level 15 Black Knight
HP: 30/30 Ether: 0/0
SP: 12 Power: 25 (20 for ranged attacks)
Gold: 3 Artifacts: Trendy Handbag (protects wearer from whatever bad effect was inflicted to a party member last)*protects from badly poisoned-effect*, Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)
Inventory: Black Sword (WP:10, lightning-elemental), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Fauxthril Shield (SP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 5 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Pheonix Essence, 3 Meads, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel, Aquamarine.
.

#23 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

    Posts: 2424
    Joined: 10-December 11
    Member: 22977

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

 Darth Nihilus, on 08 February 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Not exactly. I agree with the 'no builder's style is the same' point, but there is no reason to say that someone is copying or is heavily influenced by your MOC if they used some of your techniques (Which they very well might have come up with on their own, I might add) and the rest of the MOC bears absolutely no or very slight similarity to yours. The head of this is very, very different than yours (Larger, and made from 1 X 2 With One Knob pieces instead of made with a Lowell Sphere and some plates, cheese slopes and tiles), as are the feet and legs (The legs are longer, and slightly more detailed on Iceman's MOC). Also, just since Iceman used SNOT on the legs and you did as well, does that make Iceman's MOC a copy? Because that's basically what you are saying.
I agree with you, Nihilus. You could look at any SW MOC and say that it was copied from somewhere. Frankly, you could say that about ANY MOC. :sceptic:

#24 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

 Legoman273, on 08 February 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I agree with you, Nihilus. You could look at any SW MOC and say that it was copied from somewhere. Frankly, you could say that about ANY MOC. :sceptic:

There are certain instances where major similarities exist in such a way as to be uncanny. Like this one.

For the record, I don't feel there's enough information available to determine whether or not Iceman792 has 'copied' pedro's creation, but I can certainly see why pedro might think so. I can also see that certain unrelated parties are brashly putting in their two cents without knowing all the facts thinking they're entitled to this sort of thing. :thumbdown:

Several of the posts here come across to me as nesciently dismissive. To all those making inadvertent judgments - how many of you have tried to build a tri-droid? How many different LEGO renditions of tri-droids have you seen, and how well are you able to judge the worth of each of the decisions made in representation? How well do either of you know pedro or Iceman792?

Edited by Fallenangel, 09 February 2012 - 12:00 AM.


#25 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

  • Help Me Build Hogwarts!


    Posts: 2100
    Joined: 12-June 11
    Member: 18405
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Oh, this is ridiculous.

Quote

It's plain to see you've been very heavily influenced by my version. In fact, asides from a handful of alterations at it's core it is pretty much a copy of my design. This isn't more in evidence than the fact that you've actually copied it's main flaw, one which I've worked on since to try and remove - the need for a stand.
Pedro, with all due respect, both of your were "copied" from the Clone Wars. It's not Iceman's fault that he needed a stand. The model was probably unsteady without it. Second, maybe it is just coincidence that he did some designs of his the same way you did yours. If those are the best pieces that could be used, than he used them. I guess only Iceman can answer whether or not he copied it.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users