Review: 9566 Samaurai X

43 replies to this topic

#1 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

• Obsessed with Friends underwear

Member: 20138

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

Posted Image
I was on a quest to get the Kendo Jay booster pack today, only avaliable to customers who have made a $75 purchase at the LEGO Store. I picked up a few of the new spinner ses, plus some sets from other themes. I did get my Kendo Jay, but that's not the point of this review. Read on to see if Samaurai X is worth 'burning' a hole in your wallet. :laugh: Sorry my pictures are of such horrid quality - When you use an iPhone to take pictures, you know something is wrong.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Set: Samurai X
Set Number: 9655
Theme: Ninjago
Year of Release: 2012
Price: $9.99 USD

On the front of the packaging, we get a nice view of the set. It includes a picture of Samaurai X in all her (I think it's Nya) glory with the pars number and item number. We also get a look at the spinner included. A nice new design. On the back, we see all the legal notices, as well as a picture of how to construct the character in spinner. I think we all know how that works, but for those new to Ninjago spinner sets, it is a pretty handy piece of information. Now, let's see what is inside!

Once we rip open the package, we see the bag of weapons, the spinner, and the bag of pieces for the minifigure. I like the spinner sets. They are a cheap way to get minifigures and weapons. Plus, they make for a fun Spinjitsu battle with the family on a Saturday night. Let's get building!

Posted Image]

The weapons included are rather nice, though a few we have seen before. First off, the Castle sword in black. Very cool piece. I have ne'er purchase a Castle set, so this is new to me. The rest of the weapons are pretty much spears and sticks, the usual stuff you would see in a Spinne set. Now on to the minifigure. Samaurai X is obviously female, judging by the head. The helmet is brand new, and is also used by Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty set. We get the Samaurai armor in gunmetal, a color recently not seen on this piece, and an exclusive to the set. She also has very detailed leg and torso printing, as well as clip-on armor that can attach to the helmet.

Posted Image

Here is the spinner. Nothing new here... Actually, it's a brand new piece! The bottom is flatter than the older 2011 spinner, and has a design that allows the spinner to move easier and last longer while spinning. There is also nice new fire printing, and armor to go on the spinner, a piece not seen in older spinner sets.

Posted Image

The play factor in this set varies. If you have another spinner at, you get more enjoyment while watching the figures battle it out in Spinjitsu combat. On its own, the set doesn't do very much except spin.

My final thoughts:

This set comes with a new spinner and an exclusive minifigure not included in the first wave of 2012 Ninjago sets. If you would like some new parts and need an extra spinner, this set is right up your ally. If you would rather have a booster pack, you could pass on this set and get another great minifigure like Cole ZX or Lloyd Garmadon.

Surely Samurai X cannot be defeated by Kendo Jay!

Posted Image

Oops, spoke too soon...

Posted Image

Edited by Rufus, 11 February 2012 - 04:26 PM.
Indexed

Dooby dooby dooba... PERRY! He's a semi-aquatic, egg-laying mammal of action!

Posted Image

#2 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Great written review, but it is nothing without pictures! :drool:

#3 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

View Postprateek, on 08 January 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

Great written review, but it is nothing without pictures! :drool:
Don't worry. I need to get around to uploading them. They should be up by tomorrow or Monday.

Edited by Perry the Platypus, 08 January 2012 - 05:00 AM.

Posted Image

#4 horizon

horizon

Member: 14253

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:35 AM

What? They changed the underside of the spinner? That is an illegal move in my opinion by LEGO as it devaluates the older spinners (or not, depending on performace). But they are not equal, which is a must in a game like this.

Weird.

So the spinner does not have that rounded 2x2 brick-thinged underneath?

#5 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Good review; I look forward to pics. I'd like to point out though that the big black sword is from Orient Expedition and 4+ Pirates, not Castle.

One of the things I think is cool about Samurai X is that although her design definitely pays tribute to Nya (her outfit under her armor has Nya's collar, and her spinner and clothing has Nya's distinctive phoenix emblem), all of her printed parts are unique to this set. The original Nya set also had a double-sided head, but it had one side plain and one side with a red mask/veil (I guess to make her look more "ninja-y"). This set drops the veiled face and instead has a rage-filled expression for the heat of battle. It's especially nice because the tendency in many themes is for the female fig's second expression to be a "scared" one, and while male figs also get this treatment, it's always nice to see both male and female figs looking self-assured with both expressions.

The new Samurai helmet is interesting. It will take me some time to warm up to it, even though it's not too radical a change from the old one. Based on its appearance on Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty, it presumably is completely replacing the old version.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 08 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

View Posthorizon, on 08 January 2012 - 08:35 AM, said:

What? They changed the underside of the spinner? That is an illegal move in my opinion by LEGO as it devaluates the older spinners (or not, depending on performace). But they are not equal, which is a must in a game like this.

Weird.

So the spinner does not have that rounded 2x2 brick-thinged underneath?

Nope, it does . It is just that the underside is flat, while the old one had a smooth, sticking out surface. I'll do a comparison picture once I take them.

View PostAanchir, on 08 January 2012 - 05:00 PM, said:

Good review; I look forward to pics. I'd like to point out though that the big black sword is from Orient Expedition and 4+ Pirates, not Castle.

One of the things I think is cool about Samurai X is that although her design definitely pays tribute to Nya (her outfit under her armor has Nya's collar, and her spinner and clothing has Nya's distinctive phoenix emblem), all of her printed parts are unique to this set. The original Nya set also had a double-sided head, but it had one side plain and one side with a red mask/veil (I guess to make her look more "ninja-y"). This set drops the veiled face and instead has a rage-filled expression for the heat of battle. It's especially nice because the tendency in many themes is for the female fig's second expression to be a "scared" one, and while male figs also get this treatment, it's always nice to see both male and female figs looking self-assured with both expressions.

The new Samurai helmet is interesting. It will take me some time to warm up to it, even though it's not too radical a change from the old one. Based on its appearance on Lord Garmadon in the Destiny's Bounty, it presumably is completely replacing the old version.

I happen to like the new Samurai helmet. It has got my texture than the Series 3 helmet.

Minifigures usually have a scared and happy expression. As for Samurai X, Nya has a determined face and a smirk. It is not visible much, though, because of the clip-on helmet armor.

Posted Image

#7 matrixrenegade

matrixrenegade

Member: 12207

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:42 AM

I really am looking forward to this figure.  I saw it in the store today but after the big sales at Wal-mart I am tapped out for the moment.

#8 CorneliusMurdock

CorneliusMurdock

• Adorable

Member: 9860

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

View PostPerry the Platypus, on 08 January 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

(I think it's Nya)
Dude, spoiler alert!   :laugh:
If this was a booster and not a spinner, I'd actually consider getting it.  Otherwise, it's still overpriced when I just want the minifig and accessories.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#9 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:37 AM

View PostCorneliusMurdock, on 09 January 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

If this was a booster and not a spinner, I'd actually consider getting it.  Otherwise, it's still overpriced when I just want the minifig and accessories.
Wait for a big sale and maybe you can get your hands on the set.

Pictures coming tomorrow!

Posted Image

#10 sok117

sok117

• Grammer and Speling Professorr

Member: 6766

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostCorneliusMurdock, on 09 January 2012 - 01:06 AM, said:

same here!
~Sok117

#11 Zzz

Zzz

• Flick-fires the hell out of aliens!

Member: 1281

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I am sorry, no offense, I appreciate that you make a review - but your pics are of such horrible quality that I wonder how can you be satisfied with these and upload them?
"I am Iron Man."  -  "I am Groot!"

#12 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostZzz, on 09 January 2012 - 10:04 PM, said:

I am sorry, no offense, I appreciate that you make a review - but your pics are of such horrible quality that I wonder how can you be satisfied with these and upload them?

Well, I never said I was satisified. I'm in the middle of uploading them right now. Sorry.  :sceptic:

Posted Image

#13 Lego_Hero

Lego_Hero

Member: 9980

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:19 AM

This minfig looks like it could be awesome, but I want to see what's under the armor before I shell out ten bucks. Could someone please upload pics that meet the high standards we'be been spoiled with?
Two with the lance and with the sword five of the foe he slew.
The Moors are very many. Around him close they drew,
They did not pierce his armor, though they laid on him strokes of power.

-The Lay of the Cid

#14 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

View PostLego_Hero, on 10 January 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

This minfig looks like it could be awesome, but I want to see what's under the armor before I shell out ten bucks. Could someone please upload pics that meet the high standards we'be been spoiled with?

Will do. It is actually a very interesting torso design.

Posted Image

#15 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

Member: 22977

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:51 AM

Here is an exploded view of Samurai X.
Posted Image

#16 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Member: 20752

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely going to have to get multiples of this spinner, since it will go nicely with the Series 3 Samurai (I got a ton of those when they were out)...  Even if it will take up my entire weekly impulse set budget.

Personally, I can't wait until the Samurai X mech comes out this summer, and I'll be getting more than one of that, too!
-Hikaro Takayama, a.k.a Laura

Bi-gender Christian and proud of it.

"Wot's faster than a warbuggy, more killy than a warbike, and flies through da air like a bird? I got no bleedin' idea, but I'm gonna find out."  - Kog da Flymek, pioneer of the Deffkopta

#17 chump

chump

Member: 94

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:04 AM

Perry the Platypus, you may also want to correct the spelling of Samurai, in the subject title.

#18 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostLegoman273, on 10 January 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

Here is an exploded view of Samurai X.
Posted Image
Thanks for uploading that before I did, Lego. I saw that picture somewhere...

Anyway, there you go!

Posted Image

#19 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

• Help Me Build Hogwarts!

Member: 18405

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

But who is Samaurai X?

#20 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

I own her. She is now my slave. The new spinners are awesome! me and my son have been battling every night since we got these. These are so sweet. They work really good for head spinning too. I plan on using parts of her sometime soon in an old vagabond gaiden moc. The figure quality is a lot better this time. I was surprised how stiff she was for being chinese plastic.
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#21 Perry the Platypus

Perry the Platypus

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

View PostJackJonespaw, on 10 January 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

But who is Samaurai X?
Nya in disguise.

Posted Image

#22 Corydoras

Corydoras

Member: 11765

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

I thought the spinners aren't made in China anymore?
Hunting for NINJAGO~

#23 LEGOman273

LEGOman273

Member: 22977

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostPerry the Platypus, on 10 January 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Nya in disguise.
Spoiler! :hmpf_bad:

View PostPerry the Platypus, on 10 January 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Thanks for uploading that before I did, Lego. I saw that picture somewhere...

Anyway, there you go!
www.LEGO.com :wink:

View PostCorydoras, on 10 January 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

I thought the spinners aren't made in China anymore?
They aren't. :classic:

#24 TheLegoDr

TheLegoDr

• Yellow Panel Expert

Member: 19128

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

For some reason I am liking these new figures, this one in particular. The printing looks fabulous, plus the helmet!

Thanks for the review.
Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

flickr
See my collection

#25 Izzy

Izzy

• Bold Baldie

Member: 1628

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Using an iPhone to take such terrible pictures is no excuse at all. There are endless websites dedicated to iPhonography. I myself still use the iPhone3 and do not have any trouble. Try using more light, a white background and hold the phone still.

I beg of you to take these shots again. It is a disgrace.  :cry_sad:

To Do Is To Be - Nietzsche  
To Be Is To Do - Kant
To Be Or Not To Be - Shakespeare
Do Be Do Be Do - Sinatra

Flickr

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users