Sign in to follow this  
kyphur

Inside Curve Study

Here you see 4 curves:

6648857005_868dd9f38f_z.jpg

Note that the baseplates represent the table surface, this loop of track is running 4 studs in from the edge. This will be an inside corner (meaning that there will be train table on the outside of the curve but inside the curve will be empty beyond the baseplate).

All except the top right one are symmetrical.

The top two are really tight to the corner which makes me a bit nervous, I'd prefer to maintain a 4 stud distance between the sleepers & the edge of the table.

The bottom two are both symmetrical and maintain an acceptable distance from the edge.

I'm just wondering if the bottom right curve is a tad too tight?

FWIW, this curve will be used on either end of my inclines used to elevate the main loop over my tunnel and bridge so the trains will be exiting this curve about 32 studs before starting up the incline and entering it 32 studs after leaving the down side of the incline.

Input from my fellow Train Drivers (Engineers) would be appreciated. I'll be trying them IRL this weekend (unless something else more urget requires my time & attention)...

Here's the solution I settled on:

6651877829_45dbeac762_z.jpg

It's the lower right one but IRL I was able to reduce the length of each side by 16 studs!