Sign in to follow this  
De Sandman

Prinses Nikki

[pid][/pid] 117A

Finally my WIP is ready, i've named here the Prinses Nikki (Nikki is my daughter's name, she's just 3 years old)

She started as the Red Whale, here's the WIP Thread; The Red Whale

Some statistics;

Waterline lenght; 62 cm

Overall lenght; 78 cm

Width; 17 cm at the waterline

Hight; 78 cm

About 80 m1 of string rigging.

36 Guns

Weighs about 4,62 kg

Took me about 3 months to build (at 4 times a week 3 to 4 hours building)

I used several techniques from CGH; the tumblehome (although i used roofs from cars instead of hinges), the rigging and the sails, thanks for all the tutorials!!, before i was on this forum my ships were boxed, not any use of tumblehome or that sort of things :pir-sceptic: , this forum helped me a lot to improve my ship building :pir-classic: .

I also used the building plans from the russian ship the Priediestinacja, i used it for measurements and rigging.

The flags are from the Dutch VOC and in the top of the main mast is the Admirals flag (the Dutch used it to point out that the admirality is on board).

I've made no interiour because of all the special techniques i used it became a mess inside.

The hatches are a bit bigger than mostly used in this forum, it was because i don't have enough hatches so i came up to this (and it looks quite nice IMO :pir-tongue: )

Well hope you like it;

s3600010.jpg

s3600001.jpg

s3600002.jpg

s3600003.jpg

s3600004.jpg

s3600005.jpg

s3600007.jpg

s3600009.jpg

s3600012.jpg

s3600016.jpg

s36000013.jpg

s13600003.jpg

Edited by De Sandman

:pir-oh: Very impressive! So many details. A real beauty, and a powerful vessel too.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

...soon!

This fantastic! Besides the enormous size and great amount of details, the tumblehome is fantastic! pirate_wubnew.gif I usually think that tilling decks gets a nice effect, but can be very parts-consuming and doesn't worth the money for buying the parts. However, I would suggest you tile your ports; it's actually the only thing I don't like in the ship, though its interesting to see an alternative to flags pir_laugh2.gif

:wub_drool: This is just fantastic! As I've said in the WIP Thread my favorite part is the stern, the balconies' shape and the gilding are awesome. You used some great techniques for the tumblehome, but somehow this build still looks very classic. One of my favorite ships. :thumbup:

Congratulations on completing such a marvellous vessel! Your shipbuilding style is really appealing to me. :pir-classic:

The rigging is awesome, I rarely see perfect sails and ropework, you nailed it. Amazing!

I see Dreamweb is already planning to blog this beauty! :thumbup:

Excellent work De Sandman!

:drool: Love the rails and rigging, you did an amazing job on them, not to mention on the rest of the ship. keep up on the great building!

:imperialguard_commander1: Uh oh. Where's all the Redcoat ships? :pir-cry_sad: We will lose the war! :pir_bawling:

Great ship De Sandman, it was fun waiting for you to update on your WIP thread, turned out marvelous. :pir-cry_happy:

Awesome, I still think it's too rough and blocky in the black colored regions, luckley there is an overflow of other stuff to compensate :pir_laugh2:

The broadside view looks awesome and the rigging is great, nicely done !

By the way, I used roofs from cars as well instead of hinges, that was much cheaper :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Everybody thanks for all the fantastic coments!

:pir-oh: Very impressive! So many details. A real beauty, and a powerful vessel too.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

...soon!

Thanks for being blogged!

name='Frank Brick Wright' date='04 January 2012 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1325685052' post='1160476']

I usually think that tilling decks gets a nice effect, but can be very parts-consuming and doesn't worth the money for buying the parts. However, I would suggest you tile your ports; it's actually the only thing I don't like in the ship, though its interesting to see an alternative to flags

Indeed i don't have enough tiles to tile the deck, as fot the gunports it would require 1x3 and 2x3 flat tiles as they are now (but studded) if i just would stick tiles on the gunports they would be too fat, i tried that and i didn't liked it.

Awesome ship! congrats on being front-paged!

Thanks, i wasn't expecting being frontpaged, thanks to the Euobricks admin!

Awesome, I still think it's too rough and blocky in the black colored regions, luckley there is an overflow of other stuff to compensate :pir_laugh2:

Mmmmm.....you're a bit right but if i wanted it to be less blocky it would require many many 1x2 tiles with one stud in the middle, than i would build a very sleek ship, i'm already thinking about it but it requires a Bricklink order and i don't have the cash for it right now.

I bet you were working long hours on such beautiful project, congratulations, is a magnificent ship

It took me about 150 hours to build, perhaps more...but thanks for the comment.

It really took you much time to creat such a detailed ship. She looks great except for the colours - too many of them make her look dollish-like.

Aaand yet another old ship sails back into port...

...but something tells me the harbormaster is not impressed.

Anyway, this is a fabulous vessel in most regards. The gunports would look much better tiled, and some of the black on the hull is a bit blocky, but otherwise this is one impressive creation. The stern with those elegant drooping balconies just looks fantastic, the rigging is amazing, and from just about every angle the overall shape is superb. Usually I don't like color combos such as this, but it adds to that distinct 16th-17th-century look. Overall this is an excellent vessel, and thanks to her return she nows gives our esteemed De Sandman 2 ships on the first page! Excellent work.

It really took you much time to creat such a detailed ship. She looks great except for the colours - too many of them make her look dollish-like.

Staslegomaster, you need to quit bumping really old topics with one line comments. Please review Revisiting Old Topics Guidance, which is linked in the Site Guidelines Topic.