Jump to content


REVIEW: 3188 Heartlake Vet


34 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (43 member(s) have cast votes)

How would you rate this set?

  1. Poor (2 votes [4.65%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.65%

  2. Below Average (2 votes [4.65%])

    Percentage of vote: 4.65%

  3. Average (6 votes [13.95%])

    Percentage of vote: 13.95%

  4. Above Average (18 votes [41.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 41.86%

  5. Outstanding (15 votes [34.88%])

    Percentage of vote: 34.88%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Gryphon Ink

Gryphon Ink

  • Confused by the Madness!


    Posts: 886
    Joined: 19-November 10
    Member: 14286
    Country: USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostSilentMode, on 03 January 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Posted Image
Another clever little machine, making use of a "space arm", goes in the back corner of the building. I don't know exactly what it does - perhaps it gives your favourite pets a secret blend of 13 herbs and spices? Rumour has it that a fryer is on its left, but because that's where the building cuts off we'll never know. Again, this machine can be anything you want it to be.

That's an exam table with a movable light.  As a vet tech, I can tell you that they don't usually come in pink outside of Heartlake City, but it's a decent model.

Another great review, SilentMode, but I think this set isn't all that great.  Part of it is undoubtedly due to my being a vet tech and unable to keep myself from snickering at how unrealistic it is, and that's not really fair to the set.  But also, I just find it a bit blah.  What is the space next to the horse's stall and why is it totally empty?  Why didn't they put a hinge on the building so you could close it up?  Why are there only two minifigs in a set this size?  (Again, a combination of realism and play features - this practice clearly needs more than one doctor and one volunteer/intern, but more importantly I think there should be more people to play with.  Sets at this price point in most other themes usually come with at least four minifigs, don't they?)

I also really dislike the cartoony animals, and since this set has more of those than any other set, it goes straight to the bottom of my to-buy list.  The minidolls I actually like and think they're very appropriate to the target market, although a little more variety would be nice.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Sarah

Sarah

    Posts: 273
    Joined: 04-January 12
    Member: 23810
    Country: USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

View PostGryphon Ink, on 05 January 2012 - 04:33 PM, said:

Another great review, SilentMode, but I think this set isn't all that great.  Part of it is undoubtedly due to my being a vet tech and unable to keep myself from snickering at how unrealistic it is, and that's not really fair to the set.  But also, I just find it a bit blah.  What is the space next to the horse's stall and why is it totally empty?  Why didn't they put a hinge on the building so you could close it up?  Why are there only two minifigs in a set this size?  (Again, a combination of realism and play features - this practice clearly needs more than one doctor and one volunteer/intern, but more importantly I think there should be more people to play with.  Sets at this price point in most other themes usually come with at least four minifigs, don't they?)

My guess is that minidolls are more expensive than minifigs, just because of this issue.
Or that Friends set has subbed in animals and accessories instead of more people-equivalents.

Edited by Sarah, 05 January 2012 - 04:36 PM.

Sarah in TX
...DS 8/2007, DD 8/2011
...intermittent Lego maniac from way back being drawn back by Lego Friends

#28 Legogal

Legogal

    Posts: 1147
    Joined: 09-January 12
    Member: 23979
    Country: US

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Very helpful review! Thanks for all the details as it is hard to tell from the box what is in it. And the colors are lovely!!!

I am not into vets and animals, but I like the overall design and will get it because it is the start of a cool building; add more pieces and you have a decent sized business to go in my pastel shopping center.

Do wish it had at least four figures for all the things that are supposed to be going on here...where are the customers?

So far I love the Friends sets and feel their pull...it appears that Lego has hit a home run with this series, and god knows, it is time for the females to get something they can feel comfortable building and playing with.

#29 nicoga3000

nicoga3000

    Posts: 262
    Joined: 19-December 10
    Member: 14758
    Country: USA

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

I see these sets, and I really want to jump on all of them.  It's too bad there's so many other sets I want right now...These sets look great, the new colors are awesome, and all the little extras are just super!  I'll keep my eye on these - thanks for the informative review!

#30 jonwil

jonwil

    Posts: 3138
    Joined: 12-January 07
    Member: 1239

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

The new small weapons in the Heroica sets (and in the Kingdoms blacksmith shop) are also counted as a single part.

As for the Vet itself, great review and the set looks good. Hopefully the new stable door appears in brown or black.

Wouldn't surprise me if a future wave of Friends uses the medical accessories in a hospital along the lines of to the Belville hospital sets of the past.

#31 Legogal

Legogal

    Posts: 1147
    Joined: 09-January 12
    Member: 23979
    Country: US

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Silent Mode!!!
Just built this one, and yes it is totally adorable! Everything about it....period.

Love your Henry the Hedgehog plea for funding and hot water bag (is it) on his head?

The cute ponytailed minifig in pink walking in the door is also adorable.

Makes you wish that you had/have three little girls of your own to play with these sets....all we have are stinking boys...who managed to grow up rather well in spite of all the Lego lying around our house.

Your review was super helpful here and so entertaining on a crappy rainy day...forcing me to go buy 8 more Friends sets at the Lego Store to overcome my weather induced depression. Fortunately it is usually sunny here!

Please keep reviewing Friends as we all need your wonderful insight and astounding humorous notes!  :laugh:

Edited by Legogal, 13 January 2012 - 11:34 PM.


#32 SilentMode

SilentMode

  • A bronzie that does not endorse whipping


    Posts: 1352
    Joined: 13-May 10
    Member: 10650
    Country: UK

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostLegogal, on 13 January 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Hinck,
Just built this one, and yes it is totally adorable! Everything about it....period.

Love your Henry the Hedgehog plea for funding and hot water bag (is it) on his head?

The cute ponytailed minifig in pink walking in the door is also adorable.

Makes you wish that you had/have three little girls of your own to play with these sets....all we have are stinking boys...who managed to grow up rather well in spite of all the Lego lying around our house.

Your review was super helpful here and so entertaining on a crappy rainy day...forcing me to go buy 8 more Friends sets at the Lego Store to overcome my weather induced depression. Fortunately it is usually sunny here!

Please keep reviewing Friends as we all need your wonderful insight and astounding humorous notes!  :laugh:
I'm not Hinckley, but I appreciate your compliments!  :classic:

For now I think all the Friends sets that are out have been reviewed; if there's any missing I might have time for one more.
the infamous SilentMode
crowdfunding yet again for Project Swapfig - ends November 16 2013.
SilentMode.tv | Project Swapfig | @SilentMode1 | Brick Owl store | Flickr
"Almost everything you do will seem insignificant, but it is important that you do it." - Mahatma Gandhi

#33 slovakiasteph

slovakiasteph

    Posts: 359
    Joined: 17-July 11
    Member: 19109
    Country: USA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

View PostSilentMode, on 13 January 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:


For now I think all the Friends sets that are out have been reviewed; if there's any missing I might have time for one more.

Yes please, another review!  When I looked at the Friends list, there were quite a few sets that hadn't been reviewed; two or three of the $10 sets didn't have one, actually.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#34 Legogal

Legogal

    Posts: 1147
    Joined: 09-January 12
    Member: 23979
    Country: US

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:40 PM

We just bought another vet set because the design and parts are so cool, especially the curved blue bricks forming the front roof. Trying to make a very large combined set so there are exam rooms, waiting rooms, recovery rooms, etc. My daughter-in-law adores the Friends sets, too, and is helping build this expanded vet. We both are in love with Henry the Hedgehog, and now have someone for them to play with!

You will first notice that these baseplates are thicker than the normal plates in the same sizes. So we may transfer everything to normal height plates in order to can expand around the set, too. It was be nice to add a small park area outside so folks could take their pets outside while waiting for their appts.

Selecting some minifigs to place in the vet office as customers, etc.; this is where the collectibles come in handy!

This should be a lot of fun with all of the fantastic parts in two sets!  :wub: :wub: :wub:

#35 Stiel

Stiel

    Posts: 301
    Joined: 26-February 10
    Member: 9734
    Country: Hungary

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

Hey, anyone who owns this set - I just wanted to ask for a couple pics where Sophie examines the hedgehog. Thanks in advance!



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users