Mencot

Castle theme sets

There maybe is a thread or same kind of topic already for this, but now that Kingdoms Joust is probably the last Kingdoms set. And Lotr theme is coming next summer. I hope Lego still has hidden in the sleeve, Castle themed sets to go side to side with Lotr sets.

And that what I hope for is small and medium sets, like Lego town has, one minifig with accesories, some small marketplaces, town fair, with cows, pigs and other animals, and regulare villagepeople. So that you can make bigger medieval sets. That is what I would like. :sweet:

Unfortunately, LEGO probably won't continue with Kingdoms or any other castle theme at least until LOTR is over, to avoid self-competition. This is why they cancelled Pirates shortly before releasing POTC.

Unfortunately, LEGO probably won't continue with Kingdoms or any other castle theme at least until LOTR is over, to avoid self-competition. This is why they cancelled Pirates shortly before releasing POTC.

Yes thats proably true but LOTR can be a long lived theme, maybe not as long as SW but many years. So it sad if we don`t get any castle themed sets in between here, cause I will not buy any of the LOTR sets. The only thing what is good that there is diffrent accesories there.

So it sad if we don`t get any castle themed sets in between here, cause I will not buy any of the LOTR sets.

While we may not be getting any fully fledged Castle themes as long as the LotR is running, we will surely have some close shots at least, like the Dracula Castle of the upcoming Monster Fighters theme, which seems to be more or less fully Castle-compatible except some of the figs. While I personally suspect people who are hoping for a historical antiquity theme or something like that are over-optimistic, there could very well be another action theme skirting around such ideas, like Pharaoh's Quest did (to some extent). Maybe even with less vehicles. Okay, now I am over-optimistic. :tongue:

While we may not be getting any fully fledged Castle themes as long as the LotR is running, we will surely have some close shots at least, like the Dracula Castle of the upcoming Monster Fighters theme, which seems to be more or less fully Castle-compatible except some of the figs. While I personally suspect people who are hoping for a historical antiquity theme or something like that are over-optimistic, there could very well be another action theme skirting around such ideas, like Pharaoh's Quest did (to some extent). Maybe even with less vehicles. Okay, now I am over-optimistic. :tongue:

Yeah lets not be over-optimistic :tongue::sweet: Its fun to speculate and dream. But we`ll wait and see what Lego comes with. That monster theme is in some way a bit intressting, if there is monster then there should be poor monster victims to scare and if there are poor victims then there should be monster hunters :classic: this is maybe again speculations and hopes :wink:

if they don't have Castle sets in 2012 (new ones) I really hope we see more castle related CMs.

I still waiting for big CREATOR Castle set, full of greys, black, browns and no minifigs. We all want this. Right?

CM is a short for Colectable minifigs

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I still waiting for big CREATOR Castle set, full of greys, black, browns and no minifigs. We all want this. Right?

Yeah this would be like a dream come true for Lego castle fans, Huge Creator set, :tongue: there where once a 1 of april joke, of a box full of Castle parts :laugh:

CM is a short for Colectable minifigs

Of course CM stands for collectable minifigs, now I really feel like a newbie :blush::classic:

I asked Lego on Twitter about Kingdoms in 2012 -- you can find the answer in this topic here: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=60208&st=495

In short, there will be no Kingdom sets in 2012 but for the Kindoms Joust. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

That sucks, hopefuly 2013 will be better. But to wait over a year for something that maybe wont happen then either isn`t fun. :hmpf:

That sucks, hopefuly 2013 will be better. But to wait over a year for something that maybe wont happen then either isn`t fun. :hmpf:

I'm honestly sorry you feel that way. :sad: I'm afraid it won't be in 2013, either; the Lord of the Rings theme isn't going to be a quick flash-in-the-pan license like Speed Racer, but something that instead will almost certainly go on for at least a couple years, as there'll be sets released alongside both of the new movies coming out around Christmas of 2012 and 2013 (The Hobbit is being done as a two-parter, just in case you weren't aware). A launch wave for the overall theme is planned for this summer, featuring sets from the extant Lord of the Rings trilogy, and a second wave will focus on the new Hobbit movie coming out at the end of the year; unless the line bombs abysmally from the start, it's pretty much certain it will continue with another wave in summer of next year and then another wave with the second part of The Hobbit in the winter. I can easily see it getting at least one or two more waves after that, which would carry the theme all the way through at least 2014. I therefore think it's going to be at least three years at a bare minimum before LEGO resumes doing its own original, non-licensed medieval/castle themes.

That said, it will happen eventually, and in the meantime there's going to be this licensed theme based upon the towering, gold-standard achievement in fantasy literature / cinema. While it's going to have drawbacks for people wanting to do their own original things (such as non-yellow, fleshtoned minifigures, and perhaps higher prices), it's also surely going to introduce elements and designs and other things traditional LEGO castle enthusiasts have wanted for a long time, or in some cases haven't ever considered before but from which they'll benefit considerably.

Good luck!

I'm honestly sorry you feel that way. :sad: I'm afraid it won't be in 2013, either; the Lord of the Rings theme isn't going to be a quick flash-in-the-pan license like Speed Racer, but something that instead will almost certainly go on for at least a couple years, as there'll be sets released alongside both of the new movies coming out around Christmas of 2012 and 2013 (The Hobbit is being done as a two-parter, just in case you weren't aware). A launch wave for the overall theme is planned for this summer, featuring sets from the extant Lord of the Rings trilogy, and a second wave will focus on the new Hobbit movie coming out at the end of the year; unless the line bombs abysmally from the start, it's pretty much certain it will continue with another wave in summer of next year and then another wave with the second part of The Hobbit in the winter. I can easily see it getting at least one or two more waves after that, which would carry the theme all the way through at least 2014. I therefore think it's going to be at least three years at a bare minimum before LEGO resumes doing its own original, non-licensed medieval/castle themes.

That said, it will happen eventually, and in the meantime there's going to be this licensed theme based upon the towering, gold-standard achievement in fantasy literature / cinema. While it's going to have drawbacks for people wanting to do their own original things (such as non-yellow, fleshtoned minifigures, and perhaps higher prices), it's also surely going to introduce elements and designs and other things traditional LEGO castle enthusiasts have wanted for a long time, or in some cases haven't ever considered before but from which they'll benefit considerably.

Good luck!

I dont have any problems with that Lotr theme is going to be long lived, I really hope it will. But I hope too that regular sets of castle, if not many but some would come out side to side with Lotr. :blush:

I don`t like Lego fleshies, but of course Licenced look better with it when they are based on Movies.

I dont have any problems with that Lotr theme is going to be long lived, I really hope it will. But I hope too that regular sets of castle, if not many but some would come out side to side with Lotr. :blush:

I don`t like Lego fleshies, but of course Licenced look better with it when they are based on Movies.

I believe if LotR proves popular enough then Castle sets could very well come back. I think ending Kingdoms was merely a precaution, since TLG has never had a non-licensed and licensed medieval/medieval-fantasy theme running concurrently.

Keep in mind that for several years, Star Wars was the only Space theme on store shelves, but then in 2007 Mars Mission was introduced alongside it, followed by Space Police III and Alien Conquest. So even if TLG limits themselves in order to prevent inter-theme competition, they're only going to do this for as long as they feel that competition will limit the success of those themes. And if LotR can prove itself successful enough that this is not a threat to its sales, then non-licensed Castle may very well return before too long (although perhaps designed to elicit a more decisive contrast with LotR).

I believe if LotR proves popular enough then Castle sets could very well come back. I think ending Kingdoms was merely a precaution, since TLG has never had a non-licensed and licensed medieval/medieval-fantasy theme running concurrently.

Keep in mind that for several years, Star Wars was the only Space theme on store shelves, but then in 2007 Mars Mission was introduced alongside it, followed by Space Police III and Alien Conquest. So even if TLG limits themselves in order to prevent inter-theme competition, they're only going to do this for as long as they feel that competition will limit the success of those themes. And if LotR can prove itself successful enough that this is not a threat to its sales, then non-licensed Castle may very well return before too long (although perhaps designed to elicit a more decisive contrast with LotR).

Yes I think your right on this, will have to stick through a few years that TLG see were the LOTR theme will go, is it going to be a success or not. "I think it will :classic: " and then there is going to be some other Castle set side to side with it.

True and if it can't be similar to LotR then it will have to be knight vs. knight :thumbup: .

-The_Creator

Yea we are waiting for that to happen. Hopefuly already next year TLG would release some small sets or a hint of the continue of Castle themes, other than LOTR. :laugh: