Jump to content


MOC 2012 Edition Landspeeder


16 replies to this topic

#1 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:15 AM

Posted Image
This build is dedicated to my 3 year-old son Joey. Keep building those Duplo towers little buddy!

My first goal with this build was to slim it down.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I gave it some bling by adding silver pieces to the grill and damaged engine.

I inverted these three droid arms to give the appearance of a dent.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I tried to duplicate the paint job as best I could using bricks alone and changed up the interior a bit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The speeder is balanced perfectly on its stand and spins freely.

Posted Image

The build.

Posted Image

LUKE: Uncle Owen...

OWEN: Yeah?

LUKE: This R2 unit has a bad motivator. Look!

Posted Image

We all have a bad motivator sometimes! Happy New Year everyone!

Edited by Dapper-D2, 06 May 2012 - 12:17 AM.

CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr

#2 M<0><0<DSWIM

M<0><0<DSWIM

  • Gundam Style


    Posts: 817
    Joined: 15-January 11
    Member: 15440
    Country: USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:22 AM

Very much improved! :wub: I love the slimmer look and the R5 unit.  Great work! :thumbup:

#3 lego envy

lego envy

    Posts: 285
    Joined: 22-October 11
    Member: 21089
    Country: USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:41 AM

Very well exicuted Dapper...This is a nice addition to the fleet of speeders.. :classic:  I like all the details on this one...It's slimmer, sleek and looks perfect  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Posted Image

#4 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

View PostM<0><0<DSWIM, on 01 January 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

Very much improved! :wub: I love the slimmer look and the R5 unit.  Great work! :thumbup:
Thanks MOOD! I'm a big fan of your work!

View Postlego envy, on 01 January 2012 - 04:41 AM, said:

Very well exicuted Dapper...This is a nice addition to the fleet of speeders.. :classic:  I like all the details on this one...It's slimmer, sleek and looks perfect  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Bud!
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr

#5 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

  • Straight Up Cero!


    Posts: 2919
    Joined: 30-August 10
    Member: 12949
    Country: Canada

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

You did a very, very good job!
Well done! :sweet:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#6 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

    Posts: 3437
    Joined: 31-October 09
    Member: 8037
    Country: Italy

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

Great MOC, I like the handlebar of this perfect landspeeder!  :thumbup:
The R2 unit looks like the real one in the movie! Funny dialogue with uncle Owen  :laugh:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#7 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 3632
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Wow Dapper-D2, this is so much better than the first version, I can't remember if I commented on it but that version was great but this is so much better, the detailing (the dint in the front, the damaged engine, and especialy the cockpit) is absolutely fantastic. The astromec is a big improvement on the last one (if you don't mind me saying) it looks much neater and more finished.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Hollander

Hollander

    Posts: 529
    Joined: 06-May 11
    Member: 17672
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Now this is what I call an improvement! What a great landspeeder you have there - it's sleek, it's SNOT and detailed. I'd alreadt told you this about your previous version, but this windscreen really works perfectly for the landspeeder. Way better than the sleek, but not-accurate windscreen given in 8092. Last but not least; nice work on the irregular engines and interior, those blaster pistols really work well as a steering wheel.  :thumbup:

I almost forgot to comment on the little fella; what a nice and cute astromech he is (any plans on making more of them?).

Edited by Hollander, 01 January 2012 - 01:01 PM.


#9 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:14 PM

View PostMr Man, on 01 January 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Wow Dapper-D2, this is so much better than the first version, I can't remember if I commented on it but that version was great but this is so much better, the detailing (the dint in the front, the damaged engine, and especialy the cockpit) is absolutely fantastic. The astromec is a big improvement on the last one (if you don't mind me saying) it looks much neater and more finished.
Thanks Mr. Man! EB can be a tough crowd, so I knew if I didn’t make significant improvements it would not be well received.  Believe it or not I have made some minor improvements to the Phat version and will be updating those photos in the near future. I also agree with you on the astromech.

View PostHollander, on 01 January 2012 - 12:59 PM, said:

Now this is what I call an improvement! What a great landspeeder you have there - it's sleek, it's SNOT and detailed. I'd alreadt told you this about your previous version, but this windscreen really works perfectly for the landspeeder. Way better than the sleek, but not-accurate windscreen given in 8092. Last but not least; nice work on the irregular engines and interior, those blaster pistols really work well as a steering wheel.  :thumbup:

I almost forgot to comment on the little fella; what a nice and cute astromech he is (any plans on making more of them?).
Thanks Hollander! This will probably be my last landspeeder for a while, although I do have some ideas for a CHIBI and MOOD scale version.  :wacko:  People seem to like the astromechs, so I’ll keep them coming.

View PostLEGO Train 12 Volts, on 01 January 2012 - 08:09 AM, said:

Great MOC, I like the handlebar of this perfect landspeeder!  :thumbup:
The R2 unit looks like the real one in the movie! Funny dialogue with uncle Owen  :laugh:
Thank you!

View Postceroknight, on 01 January 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

You did a very, very good job!
Well done! :sweet:
Thanks!
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr

#10 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 7912
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:26 PM

You have one lucky son!  I would love to have this to swoosh around my house. :grin: The astromech is so simple but genius.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 43.8 In Heroica RPG, On Quest #102
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#11 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 04 January 2012 - 08:26 PM, said:

You have one lucky son!  I would love to have this to swoosh around my house. :grin: The astromech is so simple but genius.
Thanks, but I don't let my son play with this one.  :sweet:
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr

#12 mortesv

mortesv

    Posts: 355
    Joined: 21-December 11
    Member: 23416
    Country: Denmark

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

I can only agree with the general consensus - this is a great improvement!  :thumbup:

Can I buy you astromech?  :tongue:
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!

#13 StoutFiles

StoutFiles

    Posts: 1040
    Joined: 13-October 10
    Member: 13725
    Country: U.S.A.

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Love the tiles...not many people bother to tile their entire MOC, especially the rarely seen bottom.  So you should be applauded for that.

Also love the stand, I'm a big fan of stands where the vehicle rests on the stand and is not fixated to it.  People want to pick up creations sometimes and they should be able to.

#14 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:10 PM

View Postmortesv, on 05 January 2012 - 02:01 PM, said:

I can only agree with the general consensus - this is a great improvement!  :thumbup:

Can I buy you astromech?  :tongue:
Thanks! The droid is really simple to make. If you look closely you could probably easily build one.

View PostStoutFiles, on 05 January 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Love the tiles...not many people bother to tile their entire MOC, especially the rarely seen bottom.  So you should be applauded for that.

Also love the stand, I'm a big fan of stands where the vehicle rests on the stand and is not fixated to it.  People want to pick up creations sometimes and they should be able to.
Thanks! I must say I agree with you completely about stands. I think stands should also be as inconspicuous as possible, because if they’re overdone they can detract from the build.
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr

#15 KimT

KimT

  • Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith


    Posts: 14078
    Joined: 11-November 04
    Member: 101
    Country: Denmark

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

A vast improvement.
Much sleeker and better to look at.
:thumbup:

Posted Image
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words


Posted Image


#16 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:30 AM

I like the improvements you've made. The two most prominent alterations – the replacement of the curved bricks with 33 slopes and the layer of tiling – serve to give the creation a completely new look, one far sleeker and more streamlined. Your SNOT core is also worthy of mention here, as this construction allows the aforementioned alterations to be made while retaining the clever use of the cheese and window pieces.

The new cockpit interior is just as impressive as the previous one, featuring a more accurate dashboard and the crucial stick shift. :sweet: Clever use of the pistols as the grips of the yoke.

It appears that the side-mounted turbine engines have been shifted downward such that they align with the axis of symmetry; while this is a deviation from the studio model, I must acknowledge that the overall result is much cleaner. The same could be said for the pronounced 'thinness' of the main body. Furthermore, many unnecessary edges have been removed from the rear end – very nice. I recall mentioning this in your previous MOC thread, and I'm very glad that a new member was able to improve upon a creation with feedback from the community.

:thumbup:

#17 Dapper-D2

Dapper-D2

    Posts: 484
    Joined: 20-November 11
    Member: 22141
    Country: USA

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostFallenangel, on 06 January 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I like the improvements you've made. The two most prominent alterations – the replacement of the curved bricks with 33 slopes and the layer of tiling – serve to give the creation a completely new look, one far sleeker and more streamlined. Your SNOT core is also worthy of mention here, as this construction allows the aforementioned alterations to be made while retaining the clever use of the cheese and window pieces.

The new cockpit interior is just as impressive as the previous one, featuring a more accurate dashboard and the crucial stick shift. :sweet: Clever use of the pistols as the grips of the yoke.

It appears that the side-mounted turbine engines have been shifted downward such that they align with the axis of symmetry; while this is a deviation from the studio model, I must acknowledge that the overall result is much cleaner. The same could be said for the pronounced 'thinness' of the main body. Furthermore, many unnecessary edges have been removed from the rear end – very nice. I recall mentioning this in your previous MOC thread, and I'm very glad that a new member was able to improve upon a creation with feedback from the community.

:thumbup:
Thanks Fallen! I did take your comments to heart and made improvements to both Landspeeders based on your constructive criticism, including adding the stick shift. I must say I’m very impressed with your sharp eye for the details and noticing that the side-mounted turbine engines have been shifted downward, because this was something I went back and forth about while creating the MOC. As you have pointed out, I ultimately decided to keep them in line with the body for ease of build and because I felt moving them slightly upward would have made for some building problems that would have been hard to overcome in this streamlined version.

Congratulations again on becoming a Rebel Blogger!

View PostKimT, on 06 January 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

A vast improvement.
Much sleeker and better to look at.
:thumbup:

Posted Image
Thank you!
CUUSOO
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image  Posted Image          
flickr



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users