REVIEW: 9491 Geonosian Cannon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate the set (25 member(s) have cast votes)

How much do you like it?

1. Excellent (9 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

2. Good (9 votes [36.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.00%

3. Average (6 votes [24.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

4. Below Average (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

5. Poodoo (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jammiedodger

Jammiedodger

• Halfway through Englishman

Member: 3865

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Posted Image
Lucky me, I managed to score all the wave but the JSF and Y-Wing. Seeing as Mutley beat me to reviewing the smallest sets :tongue: , I'll review this in detail and the rest lightly. It takes too much time doing in depth reviews and I have other things more important going on. :sceptic: Anyway...

Overview:

Some nice new box art. It works better than I thought.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The back shows possible storylines and the play functions of the set...
Posted Image

Inside...
Just two numbered bags, and a new type of plastic and casing for the wings. Nice stuff, and the wings themselves are very well detailed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The instructions have a little comic at the back. Neat detail. :thumbup:
Posted Image

The Figures:

All new, if you go by the Bricklink system.
Posted Image

The Geonosians are beautiful, except for their heads. Those are just revolting. Not to mention those excuses for sonic weapons! The old megaphone with a stud on the end works better! :sick: :wall: :enough: :ugh: I hate those things with a passion. Why not recolour and add printing to the old design?! :facepalm: Ack. /rant
Posted Image

Barriss and Gree are also nice. I prefer the non-CW Barriss head; this one looks like she's scared. Gree has some nice detailed printing, but sadly a normal Clone head. :sadnew:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Cannon:

A pretty solid build, and not repetitive. It's quick for a build with such a variety of bricks. It works well.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The front, incomplete, in all its bulkiness!
Posted Image

Spares:
Posted Image

Fin!
Posted Image

All in all I recommend this set for any army builder/fan of the Clone Wars. Not only are the figures lovely, but the set itself is really good. The only things are the ghastly Geonosian heads/guns and lack of printing detail on the cannon.
So I give it an 8/10.

If you have any queries about the other sets I have, I can post replies with pictures here when I can. :classic:

#2 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Nice review. I really like Gree and the Geonosians, but those bags look so empty!

#3 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

• Doesn't like cherry talk

Member: 18405

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

I would only buy this set to get Gree. Nice review!

My Flickr

I've done a lot of Mafia games over the years. Somehow, I haven't improved at all.

Currently Hosting The Second Crash with DannyLongLegs!

#4 mutley777

mutley777

• The one and only Star Wars hoarder!

Member: 193

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the great review! I also picked this set up and I hope to get time to build it tonight.

The figs are all very good but as I have been saying since the pictures first showed the Geonosian Zombie it's a fig I would have rather not had. Give me 2 warrior figs anyday! The cannon looks cool and a marked improvement over the one from the old Geonosian Fighter set. £20 ,not bad at all. When the 3 for 2 deals hit , I will be going mad for this one! :laugh:

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for your take on this set ' Jammiedodger ', actually I like those sonic blasters that those Geonosians are carrying....gives it classic sci-fi cred ! :grin:
The figures is what the set is all about, though that cannon is a sweet sonic weapon eh ? (but again I'll say it, laser bolts don't come from a sonic cannon :wacko:  )
Thanks again ' Jammiedodger' for taking the time to do this review.....Brick On Review On ! :classic:

#6 Huntleyfx

Huntleyfx

Member: 5179

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

It is interesting that it seems that LEGO has broken up the old Geonosian Starfighter into two sets, this and the new Starfighter. That being said, I think the new designs are a great improvement, as well as the seletion of the figures.
"Everything is more impressive when done to the saber dance."- Overheard backstage.

#7 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:42 AM

This is my favorite set from the new wave though the Jedi Starfighter is close too.  All the figs are great and the cannon model looks good too.  I can't wait to put my hands on this in the US.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 Assassin, In Heroica RPG, On Quest #125
Flickr, Bricklink Store, Facebook

#8 Sir_Basil_Ashton

Sir_Basil_Ashton

Member: 23619

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

Thank you for your review. I can't believe it's taken this long for LEGO to finally make Commander Gree. I'm glad he's finally here. I will pick this set up when I find it at the right price.

#9 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:08 AM

Thank you for the review!
I really like those plastic wings! :sweet:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#10 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

Member: 17142

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

SW AFOL have really been treated with plenty reviews this week, thx for another great review, still thinking about whether to stack this set for geos hmm  :sceptic:
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#11 Esurient

Esurient

• aka Romeo

Member: 17675

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

The mini comic is absolutely cool. Baris Offee has really big eyes, I wonder if that is intentional or not. lol.
Now appearing as Elin Surefoot 397 years old Dwarven Cleric in Sandy's Cruel Angel's Thesis

#12 LEGO Train 12 Volts

LEGO Train 12 Volts

Member: 8037

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

Quite nice set  :classic:
The sonic cannon is well done, and personally I find the new geonosian guns beautiful guns (but maybe too heavy for the character  :sceptic: )
Barris is ugly, she seems to have a mustachese  :devil:
Posted Image   Posted Image

#13 Destroydacre

Destroydacre

Member: 6646

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

View PostLEGO Train 12 Volts, on 30 December 2011 - 08:24 AM, said:

Barris is ugly, she seems to have a mustachese  :devil:

Was just about to post the same. :sick: Will definitely NOT be buying.

#14 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

I really can't buy this set that is too expensive.
The cannon is like nothing on earth. I would have expected it could rotate. The geonosians are cool though, but not enough to justify the price.

#15 Huntleyfx

Huntleyfx

Member: 5179

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

I think I will pick this up, I definitely need all of the figures (at least it builds up three factions.)
"Everything is more impressive when done to the saber dance."- Overheard backstage.

#16 Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus

Member: 20608

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Deifinite multiples of this for me. My nonexistent Geonosian army needs building for when CB: AotC comes around. Not in love with Bariss, but she'll match my Luminara, so I'm not complaining. Recolours of the hood piece are always welcome as well. Also, I would like to say Thanks a LOT to TLG, they released the first pictures of this set MINUTES after the paint dried on my custom Gree! :angry:
Dak Shadeaux, Level 15 Black Knight
HP: 30/30 Ether: 0/0
SP: 12 Power: 25 (20 for ranged attacks)
Gold: 3 Artifacts: Trendy Handbag (protects wearer from whatever bad effect was inflicted to a party member last)*protects from badly poisoned-effect*, Heavy Armor (SP:5, protects from fragile-effect)
Inventory: Black Sword (WP:10, lightning-elemental), Throwing Knife (WP:5), Fauxthril Shield (SP:7), Twin Longswords (WP:3), 5 Potions, 2 Grand Potions, Grand Tonic, Elixir, Remedy, Pheonix Essence, 3 Meads, 2 Venoms, Nostrum, Mythril Shard, Bedroll, Shovel, Aquamarine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users