Lego Christmas Crackers?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheKingOfBuilding

TheKingOfBuilding

Member: 18693

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

At Christmas, I had a thought - why does Lego not make their own Christmas crackers? They would have a brick pattern on the outside and could include Christmas themed impulse builds and minifigures (which, for obvious reasons, would be CMF quality). I'm sure they would be bigger and better sellers than normal crackers. The cost would definatly be a problem though, but what do you think?

Posted Image

For all of my models, visit my flickr!

#2 Jareth

Jareth

Member: 15964

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

View PostTheKingOfBuilding, on 28 December 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

At Christmas, I had a thought - why does Lego not make their own Christmas crackers? They would have a brick pattern on the outside and could include Christmas themed impulse builds and minifigures (which, for obvious reasons, would be CMF quality). I'm sure they would be bigger and better sellers than normal crackers. The cost would definatly be a problem though, but what do you think?
I'm not even British and I think it's an awesome idea.

I'd definitely get them for my nieces.

Of course, I'd get any sort of improved quality crackers for my nieces if I could find them, all you can find in America are terrible cheap ones.
Build with what you have, not with what you want.

#3 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Most of what I know about Christmas crackers comes from Harry Potter ( :blush: ) I've never actually seen any in real life, cheap or not. I don't know if they would be entirely marketable here in the states or not, but if they are, I'd think they'd be an interesting idea.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 40 Decamon Drafter in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 13 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Chet Darjak, M.A.N.T.I.S. Special Forces in Andromeda's Gates

#4 TheKingOfBuilding

TheKingOfBuilding

Member: 18693

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostCallMePieOrDie, on 28 December 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

Most of what I know about Christmas crackers comes from Harry Potter ( :blush: ) I've never actually seen any in real life, cheap or not. I don't know if they would be entirely marketable here in the states or not, but if they are, I'd think they'd be an interesting idea.
I never knew you don't have Christmas crackers in the states ( :blush: ). The UK market is too small so thats probably why Lego don`t make Christmas crackers.

Edited by TheKingOfBuilding, 28 December 2011 - 09:13 PM.

Posted Image

For all of my models, visit my flickr!

#5 lorax

lorax

• Big Head

Member: 18426

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

I also didn't know they were not common in the States.  In Australia we have them and I had toyed with the idea of making some Lego ones (you can buy kits to make them in craft stores here, I would just have Lego novelties inside and Lego print outside).

I would buy them if they were for sale here.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#6 doink

doink

Member: 23479

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

I would have thought, knowing the minimal profit margins involved in such seasonal items, that TLG would franchise this out, like the Lego Wii Remote etc... therefore, its even something that in theory you could produce yourself, with small items inside each cracker, such as a minifig Father Christmas, a small dog, a present, a comb (Why cracker manufacturers - why?!) etc...

#7 Legocrazy81

Legocrazy81

Member: 12542

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:54 AM

Hmm...what's a Christmas Cracker? :wacko:  I can tell by the posts that they aren't edible... :blush:
Clone Army-124 & counting...

#8 slovakiasteph

slovakiasteph

Member: 19109

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

That would be cool!  Maybe I'll just make my own for my family next year.  This year i made their crackers (okay, so they don't "pop," but you can't find nice crackers in the States) and put in a riddle, some chocolate, and a small ornament.  Everyone loved them as the riddles were personalized.

Anyway, back to LEGO... maybe I'll bookmark small sets I see (like the monthly model builds) and use those?

P.S.  The first time I heard of Christmas crackers was when watching The Good Life.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 Flipz

Flipz

• Treason didn't work for him

Member: 22657

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostLegocrazy81, on 05 January 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Hmm...what's a Christmas Cracker? :wacko:  I can tell by the posts that they aren't edible... :blush:

I think they're little packages with a prize inside, common at Christmas celebrations in certain parts of Europe.  I don't know much else, everything I really know about Christmas crackers comes from the Harry Potter books. :blush:  I like the idea, though, don't know why they never caught on over here, and considering the way the Lego Advent Calendars go, I don't see why they don't do these in Europe.

Is probably depressed.  Real life sucks, yo.

[Heroica Stats]

#10 CopMike

CopMike

• All your baseplate are belong to us

Member: 148

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostTheKingOfBuilding, on 28 December 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

Cool idea, I´ll forward it to TLG :sweet:.

View PostLegocrazy81, on 05 January 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

What about writing "Christmas Cracker" into a search engine like for example Google and you´ll get hits like this :hmpf_bad: :
Posted Image

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#11 Roger Rabbit

Roger Rabbit

Member: 17945

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Genuinely shocked that our American cousins don't have Christmas crackers.  :oh3: You're missing out.  :tongue: But Lego versions would be awesome.

#12 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostRoger Rabbit, on 05 January 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Genuinely shocked that our American cousins don't have Christmas crackers.  :oh3: You're missing out.  :tongue: But Lego versions would be awesome.
I've had Christmas crackers at some Christmas dinners with my family sometimes, so they're not completely unknown in America. But they're not especially well-known either. I figure the only reason I have had them at Christmas dinners is because my grandparents were extremely well-traveled and culturally aware (or perhaps because one of my uncles on that side of the family is from Australia).

Similarly, at Christmas dinners with the other side of my family, we had opłatki, but that's just because that side of my family is of Polish heritage-- that's no more of an American tradition than Christmas crackers are.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 Darth Hagrid

Darth Hagrid

Member: 21003

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostRoger Rabbit, on 05 January 2012 - 06:08 PM, said:

Actually, we do... But they are quite rare, and can only be found either in big department stores (bad-quality ones), or at special "British stores" (good-quality ones), which are our main source for all things British.
Darth Hagrid
Posted Image
All you need is Friends...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users