Sign in to follow this  
acidophilus

MOC: EVO

I wanted to make him, bigger, more symmetrical, and bring back purple into the color scheme. I'm pleased with

how it turned out, but plan

on making a few modifications soon...

Edit: Version 2 pictures up now.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Edited by acidophilus

Nice update for the character. But, why no extra yellow hand on the gun arm?

I can just pop the cannon off, and replace it with another yellow hand anytime, but I really love the new cannon piece. I suppose you could imagine it as a transforming hand/cannon.

Edited by acidophilus

Not too fond of this revamp, personally. I think the asymmetry of Evo's "tank arm" is one of the best things about the set, making him very unique compared to other heroes both past and present. Additionally, I feel the spikes detract from his streamlining, especially the ones on his feet which don't even match his color scheme. And finally, I had a soft spot for the regular Evo set's proportions. The longer legs are something that bothers me a bit on the new "medium-sized" Hero sets, so I'm happy that the sets aren't going through a comprehensive BIONICLE-style size increase as the years go on.

In some ways the titanium metallic armor piece on the back bothers me, but then again it looks great as a backpack, jetpack, or some other type of Hero gear. Speaking of which, what happened to his hero cuffs?

Changes I don't mind and even kind of like include giving him back his old Hero Core, even though it means doing away with that lovely techy pattern on his torso. The purple spikes on the tank arm also aren't as obtrusive as those on the knees and feet, even though it would be even cooler if a purple Zamor Sphere existed to match! I am also glad you left the tank arm as it was.

One last question: do you have a transparent fluorescent blue Glatorian head, and if so, how does he look with that? I think that would much better match the color of his Hero Core and accents than the transparent fluorescent reddish-orange one does.

Not too fond of this revamp, personally. I think the asymmetry of Evo's "tank arm" is one of the best things about the set, making him very unique compared to other heroes both past and present. Additionally, I feel the spikes detract from his streamlining, especially the ones on his feet which don't even match his color scheme. And finally, I had a soft spot for the regular Evo set's proportions. The longer legs are something that bothers me a bit on the new "medium-sized" Hero sets, so I'm happy that the sets aren't going through a comprehensive BIONICLE-style size increase as the years go on.

In some ways the titanium metallic armor piece on the back bothers me, but then again it looks great as a backpack, jetpack, or some other type of Hero gear. Speaking of which, what happened to his hero cuffs?

Changes I don't mind and even kind of like include giving him back his old Hero Core, even though it means doing away with that lovely techy pattern on his torso. The purple spikes on the tank arm also aren't as obtrusive as those on the knees and feet, even though it would be even cooler if a purple Zamor Sphere existed to match! I am also glad you left the tank arm as it was.

One last question: do you have a transparent fluorescent blue Glatorian head, and if so, how does he look with that? I think that would much better match the color of his Hero Core and accents than the transparent fluorescent reddish-orange one does.

Thanks for the feedback. I love to rebuild/revamp these figures, so I think of everything I make as a work in progress. I like your idea of using the fluorescent blue Glatorian head, I know I have one in a box of Bionicle parts, I'll have to dig it out. I think I may have a Zamor Sphere that would match look better as well. I have some parts searching to do, when I find them I'll post some more pictures.

The more I look at it I think I agree with you about the spikes on the feet(they are yellow but not quite the right shade, it's more noticeable in the pictures), and legs, but I like the ones on the arms so I'll be keeping those, but I would like to retain more purple on the figure, I'll have to see what I have. If you have any ideas let me know, I have loads of Hero Factory, and Bionicle parts.

I like my Evo's proportions, and symmetrical appearance much better than the original though.

Edited by acidophilus

Nice ideas. In particular I like that shield part on the back. I really don't like that part but it works so well that way I may have to change my mind! :laugh:

I have mixed feelings about this revamp. Evo still looks the part, with his awesome tank arm and acid/sludge/toxic waste-resistant boots, and I see you've replaced the red and white with purple and blue- much closer to the 2.0 set we all know and love. But, the asymmetry of the unmodified new Evo was what made the set interesting to me.. Don't get me wrong, I do like the bulky look, the guy is supposed to work artillery, and thick, bullet(or acid)proof armor is advised, but I'm not that big a fan of the symmetry here.

His back armor is quite nice, I cant' believe how well that shield piece fills out the back. Does it get in the way when moving Evo's arms back?

The height is all very well, he looks better proportioned now, and his tank arm isn't dragging along on the ground- a much needed improvement, I think.

I also like how you changed the color of the head from red to blue. It looks much better, especially with the purple core and spikes placed on there. I don't like that the tech print on his torso piece is covered up, but with the 2.0 chest plate armor over that, there's not much you can do with it. I would like to see how the old core would look directly on the torso armor, or perhaps see how the new Hero Core looks with the your revamped Evo. Lots of ideas going on in my noggin..

In short, I like it. Few complaints here. I hope you have a Happy Christmas, and a Merry New Years... or however it goes.

-Cirkit

I have mixed feelings about this revamp. Evo still looks the part, with his awesome tank arm and acid/sludge/toxic waste-resistant boots, and I see you've replaced the red and white with purple and blue- much closer to the 2.0 set we all know and love. But, the asymmetry of the unmodified new Evo was what made the set interesting to me.. Don't get me wrong, I do like the bulky look, the guy is supposed to work artillery, and thick, bullet(or acid)proof armor is advised, but I'm not that big a fan of the symmetry here.

His back armor is quite nice, I cant' believe how well that shield piece fills out the back. Does it get in the way when moving Evo's arms back?

The height is all very well, he looks better proportioned now, and his tank arm isn't dragging along on the ground- a much needed improvement, I think.

I also like how you changed the color of the head from red to blue. It looks much better, especially with the purple core and spikes placed on there. I don't like that the tech print on his torso piece is covered up, but with the 2.0 chest plate armor over that, there's not much you can do with it. I would like to see how the old core would look directly on the torso armor, or perhaps see how the new Hero Core looks with the your revamped Evo. Lots of ideas going on in my noggin..

In short, I like it. Few complaints here. I hope you have a Happy Christmas, and a Merry New Years... or however it goes.

-Cirkit

Thanks for the feedback. I prefer my mostly symmetrical remake of this guy, but I understand how many prefer an asymmetrical look better, I do as well on many figures, but to each his own as they say. I think the deep level of customization, and the ease of alteration is my favorite thing about Lego figures, and MOCs.

I like the Tech pattern as well, and it's not completely covered by the 2.0 chest plate, the printed pattern can still be seen though the chest plate, and so it looks to be the inner working of Evo, I thought it a nice detail.

Articulation is very important to me, so anything I build it's at the forefront of my mind. So to answer your question, no it does not inhibit the arm movement at all.

Edited by acidophilus

I'd give hime two yellow hands and maaaybe remove the spikes, but aside from that, I really like your revamp!

The updated version looks much, much better! Now THIS is a revamp!

IMO your version is immensely better than the set in many ways. If I were to get the set, I'd happily change the sphere and head color the same way you have, and perhaps add some purple spikes to the arm if I were to buy some extras. The only change I'm still uncertain about is the additional torso armor, but overall the end result is at least as good as the original set, and the changes make him feel a lot more like his previous version.