UCS Republic Cruiser

40 replies to this topic

#1 Anio

Anio

• I buy LEGO, then I just do something awesome with it.

Member: 5344

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Posted Image

EDIT :
Professional building instruction available here : http://www.eurobrick...25#entry1902331
You can email me at setechnic@gmail.com
/EDIT

Hi fellows,

Here is my latest MOC : a UCS Republic Cruiser.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Brickshelf gallery with more photos : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=491912

Oh, and before you ask : yes, no display card yet.
I do not have Photoshop at the moment on my new laptop.
I will design the display card as soon as I can.

And one more thing : yes, I've been compelled to paint some parts. Not because I was lazy to order them, but because they have never been produced in the color I need (dark red). I will switch these parts as soon as possible.
I already began with the dark red slope 65 2x1x2 which are available for only a couple of weeks (thanks to a very new City model ; 4437 if I remember correctly).

Well, now, let's focus on the MOC itself.

My work began in mid October. Actually, I did not plan to do a new MOC in 2011. But well, I just wanted to start a little bit that project, just to see what I could do. And it turns out that I progressed very quickly on that MOC !

Indeed, I had a very good understanding of what I had to achieve, both regarding the structure (the most interesting part IMO), the look/finition/details and the size (the final model is 58 cm long).

Oh, and one more thing before I forget : credits.
I took 3 ideas on Rogue Bantha's fregate : the 3 stud wide cockpit, the use of 2x4 curved slopes for the capsule, and the plate 4x9 to make a sleek transition between the odd width and the even width (NPU).

I knew from the very beginning that I wanted to achieve a real structure from the cockpit to the engine for the model to be very well designed and strong.

My first WIPs :

Posted Image
Posted Image

You can see some kind of SNIR to achieve the angles on the sides.
You can also notice some vertical technic beams to "lock/strenght" the structure. Indeed, a weak structure would actually not be a structure. O_o

Then, given that the tricky parts were designed, I decided to work on LDD. What I had to do was only stacked bricks, so, I guess I could make it on LDD. Well, ok, not only stacked bricks. But my point is that what I had to design was doable on LDD.
And then, I did everything very quickly. Designing seemed to be very easy. I was very surprised.

So, I get this :

Posted Image

Posted Image

After that, I bought the bricks. Of course, that was pretty expensive, because of the dark red.
When I got the parts, I built what I had designed on LDD. Of course, there were changes. There are always differences when you go from 3D design to real bricks construction.
I had to do several adjustements, especially for the bottom wings. I attached them in a very different way. Something stronger.

Here you can see how the inside looks like. You can also see a bit the structure on the final model :

Posted Image

The engine are a bit heavy, and so not totally horizontal. But it's fine. They are only half a millimeter bent because of the weight.
That is the price to pay to get a very sleek (and simple) construction that do not damage the look of the ship.
Indeed, I absolutely wanted to keep the cylinders in 8 stud wide, with dishes on top. So, I mainly use a 8L axle with stop. The engines can not spin.

So as I said, there are some SNIR on the side. But there is also a lot of SNOT on the front : the capsule, the slopes at the rear of the cockpit, the front side, the 1x2x3 panels near the vertical liftarms.
These panels also enables to include vertical white lines, like on the real ship. You can also see how the structure goes till the cockpit.

Posted Image

More generally, I think I captured very well the white surfaces : on the capsule, on the "roof" of the cockpit, the white lines on the edges, etc.
It works well IMO.

Another very interesting aspect of the build is that the front is built in an odd width whereas the back is designed with an even width.
It is the first time that I work on such thing. Well I confess that it is also why I choose the Republic Cruiser. This "problem" regarding the width was very exciting for me. ^^
My solution (you can also notice that the structure goes till the engines) :

Posted Image

Regarding the details, I think the final result is fine too.
I did my best to reproduce the radar and other sensors at the back.
My greebs are dark bluish gray whereas they are red on the real ship. Will, I think that red greebs would not look very good on a Lego model.
Beside, they would have made the model totaly dark red (in the hypothesis that enough parts have been made in dark red to achieve greebs). And it is IMO important to have some variations in the colors on a Lego model. So, I did them in DBG.

I am very pleased with the final model. I think it is very accurate regarding the shapes, proportions and colors. :)
And on important factor to me : it is made out of only 1241 parts, display card support included.

Et voilà ! This is more or less everything I can explain on the design process of this model.
If you have any question on any aspect of the build or the approach I have, do not hesitate to ask.
I will try to give as much explanations as I can.

edit : please, moderator to fix the typo in the tittle ? (dark red)

#2 Sinner

Sinner

• Mike's Magical Elf

Member: 1554

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Very nice!  :wub: The annoying thing about this model is that it's actually releasable... and that it won't be. I love how you got the rear right (unlike TLG) and have a gap near the engines. One question; is the big front escape module removable?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Full details on the Siegfried About Me page!

#3 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

You're like a Savant when it comes to building LEGO anything.

The interior structure alone impresses me, and Siegfried is right, you nailed this. I'm all for painting parts if there is no LEGO alternative, as long as you can match the color and make it look good. Check!

Brilliant.

#4 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

Member: 17142

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

it's nice to see pics of you building this ucs from the ground up, well done
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#5 Anio

Anio

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

View PostSiegfried, on 22 December 2011 - 03:02 PM, said:

Very nice!  :wub: The annoying thing about this model is that it's actually releasable... and that it won't be.
I do not know if TLG will ever release a UCS Republic Cruiser.
But if yes, I confess that I think that it would be very close to my MOC which has IMO good compromises regarding details, colors, strength, accuracy and size (and so price).

The capsule is attached with SNOT (studs are upside down).
Even if it can be taken appart from the ship, I wouldn't say that the capsule can be detached.

View PostBig Cam, on 22 December 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

You're like a Savant when it comes to building LEGO anything.
Unfortunately, few people (or at least not enough, IMO) share their techniques and give explanation on "how to do that" and "why to do this that way".

Thinking to "How to build a model" is really something interesting. Sometimes, I think on a model I will build 1 year later.
And many times, there are parts of the vehicule/ship, that I do not know how to achieve. So, I keep on thinking. And one day (often when I'm more or less sleeping in my bed :p), I get the right idea that enable me to work on the project.
This situation is very true for what will be my next project.

In short : it is necessary to understand what we build and what is involved in the build in order to built a model well (well means efficiently for me).

View PostBig Cam, on 22 December 2011 - 03:13 PM, said:

The interior structure alone impresses me, and Siegfried is right, you nailed this.
Nail ?
Well, I guess it means "achieve" or "succeed".

I like the structure too. Its shape is really interesting and not common.
The structure is the most tricky part to design since it has to match with all the other elements of the ship : cockpit, wings, capsule, greebs, etc.

Edited by Anio, 22 December 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#6 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yes, it's a common expression in the US.

Like "You nailed it on the head" like the head of a nail.

Basically saying this is pretty perfect. :classic:

#7 Mr Man

Mr Man

Member: 13561

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:49 PM

This really is a fantastic model Anio, not just as Lego but it stands up as beautiful in and medium especially in dark red :wub:. Without checking the proportions etc I say it's spot on, but the combination of the colour, scale, and shape make it one beautiful set.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 mutley777

mutley777

• The one and only Star Wars hoarder!

Member: 193

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:40 PM

Another fantastic UCS MOC Anio! The ship looks stunning and I know just how much those dark red parts cost. :sick:

You have all the angles pretty much spot on and a few painted parts as stand-ins is ok. :laugh:

#9 mortesv

mortesv

Member: 23416

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

This is really great work! I like your level of documentation as well:) I suspect this model is in scale with the UCS Blockade Runner?

By the way, I remember we had a little discussion regarding Legos SSD a while back (on youtube I think) and it is great to find you here :)

Cheers

Morten
The secret to a happy life is finding the right balance...
          - between your Lego and discussing with Aeroeza!

#10 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:39 PM

Awesome! This is the most streamlined version of a UCS Frigate I've seen! :thumbup:

#11 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

• Straight Up Cero!

Member: 12949

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

Absolutely fantastic! :sweet:
It's a shame there weren't any pieces in the right colour so you had to paint them.  :sceptic:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#12 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:22 AM

Aha! So this was why you were asking before regarding custom painting LEGO parts in dark red. :grin: And you sure did one heck of a job with it since the paint you used seems to be a perfect match with the standard dark red color. Well, of course the overall model is expectedly highly accurate and consistent with the quality of all your previous UCS MOCs. Brilliant work once again. :thumbup:

Posted Image

View PostAnio, on 22 December 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

I do not know if TLG will ever release a UCS Republic Cruiser.
But if yes, I confess that I think that it would be very close to my MOC which has IMO good compromises regarding details, colors, strength, accuracy and size (and so price).
I hope so, and you have clearly demonstrated that it could be done at a reasonable parts count. Besides, TLG hiving us a similar UCS model will probably give you the right-colored pieces to replace your custom painted ones in this MOC. :wink:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

#13 wokajablocka

wokajablocka

Member: 12884

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

WOW there are many dark red elements on this. Great looking cruiser, much better that TLG system release. I will look great with the photoshoped disply card. :thumbup:
Brickshelf

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

May the Brick be with you!

#14 Concept

Concept

Member: 20546

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:45 AM

Looks great with more detail and in proportion compared to the LEGO version

#15 Anio

Anio

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Thank you all for your comments. :)

View Postmortesv, on 22 December 2011 - 11:33 PM, said:

This is really great work! I like your level of documentation as well:) I suspect this model is in scale with the UCS Blockade Runner?

By the way, I remember we had a little discussion regarding Legos SSD a while back (on youtube I think) and it is great to find you here :)

Cheers

Morten
Yes, I did the math, and it turns out that the scale is very close to 10019.
If my Republic was built exactly at the same scale of 10019, it should be precisely 53 cm long (it is actually 58 cm long).
But in the Lego system, I think we can say that both model are built in the same scale.

It is possible we discussed on Youtube. Cause I answer many questions there.

View PostKielDaMan, on 23 December 2011 - 02:22 AM, said:

Aha! So this was why you were asking before regarding custom painting LEGO parts in dark red. :grin: And you sure did one heck of a job with it since the paint you used seems to be a perfect match with the standard dark red color. Well, of course the overall model is expectedly highly accurate and consistent with the quality of all your previous UCS MOCs. Brilliant work once again. :thumbup:

Posted Image

I hope so, and you have clearly demonstrated that it could be done at a reasonable parts count. Besides, TLG hiving us a similar UCS model will probably give you the right-colored pieces to replace your custom painted ones in this MOC. :wink:
Thanks for blogging the model. :)

View PostConcept, on 23 December 2011 - 06:45 AM, said:

Looks great with more detail and in proportion compared to the LEGO version
Yes, obviously.
But keep in mind that the approach to adopt when designing a UCS model is very different from the one necessary to design a play set. ;)

#16 DFOL

DFOL

Member: 10119

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Impressive! Though i slightly prefer the militarized version with gun turrets and the white and red colours reversed, your model has been extremely well designed and i would be very tempted to buy this should this ever be released as an official UCS set. My compliments on a job well done! :thumbup:
Dutch Fan Of LEGO

#17 Anio

Anio

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

View PostDFOL, on 23 December 2011 - 07:24 PM, said:

Impressive! Though i slightly prefer the militarized version with gun turrets and the white and red colours reversed, your model has been extremely well designed and i would be very tempted to buy this should this ever be released as an official UCS set. My compliments on a job well done! :thumbup:
Thank you. :)

The guns on the Fregate are nice.
But I choose the Republic Cruiser for 2 reasons :
- it is dark red. I love that color. Few ship do enable to use dark red. So, I choose the Republic Cruiser rather than the Fregate
- it has some nice details at the back with all the radars and sensors.

Well both models are still very similar technically speaking.
I could achieve a Fregate pretty easily with the Republic Cruiser I did.

#18 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

Excellent work as usual Anio  :classic:

I really like the dark red color too so it's even better  :thumbup: I hope to see you soon here or on our french cavern  :tongue:

#19 JackJonespaw

JackJonespaw

• Help Me Build Hogwarts!

Member: 18405

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

Nice UCS! So much dark red! :wub:

#20 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

Member: 4964

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

I hope no one will mind me replying to this thread a few days late, because I'd like to say that this is my favorite LEGO rendition of my favorite Prequel craft... dark red looks beautiful, white trim is dead on, dark grey greebles are tastefully done, and the whole thing is generally bloody impressive. I would definitely agree that this is very accurate... probably as bang on as anyone would care to get at this size, in fact.

I'm quite taken with the excellent shaping and coloring of the prow, as well as the sensor array. I've got a hi-res picture of the latter up, and comparing to the assembly on your model, all I can say is, wow. I especially love what you did with the motorcycle handlebars and the 2 clip plates – it's a tiny detail, but it's clever as well as accurate to the source. And again, the dark grey works wonderfully here, offsetting the red nicely.

This one is really a keeper. Nice work. :thumbup:

#21 Anio

Anio

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

View Postfallenangel309, on 26 December 2011 - 09:30 AM, said:

I hope no one will mind me replying to this thread a few days late, because I'd like to say that this is my favorite LEGO rendition of my favorite Prequel craft... dark red looks beautiful, white trim is dead on, dark grey greebles are tastefully done, and the whole thing is generally bloody impressive. I would definitely agree that this is very accurate... probably as bang on as anyone would care to get at this size, in fact.

I'm quite taken with the excellent shaping and coloring of the prow, as well as the sensor array. I've got a hi-res picture of the latter up, and comparing to the assembly on your model, all I can say is, wow. I especially love what you did with the motorcycle handlebars and the 2 clip plates – it's a tiny detail, but it's clever as well as accurate to the source. And again, the dark grey works wonderfully here, offsetting the red nicely.

This one is really a keeper. Nice work. :thumbup:
Thank you. :)

It is cool to read that you notice the details I included and appreciate the accuracy of the MOC.

And I forgot to give the link to the Brickshlef gallery. So, here it is : http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=491912
(I also added it in the first post)

#22 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

• Look at my Post Count!

Member: 11254

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:11 PM

There's so much to love here. The shaping looks simple, but it's evidently actually quite complicated and perfectly done. The detailing and coloring are spot-on, as Fallen mentioned. The painted parts don't really bother me, though I am surprised that someone with as strict standards as yourself would be doing it. :laugh:

#23 Anio

Anio

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:03 PM

Thank you, Brickdoctor. :)

View PostBrickdoctor, on 26 December 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

There's so much to love here. The shaping looks simple, but it's evidently actually quite complicated and perfectly done.

The shape is not that simple. There are several uncommon angles to achieve.
The color scheme requires some SNOT here and there. And there is still the structure.

It make a lot of things. Moreover, the body of the model is not that big.
What is hard is to make everything fit well together.

View PostBrickdoctor, on 26 December 2011 - 08:11 PM, said:

The detailing and coloring are spot-on, as Fallen mentioned. The painted parts don't really bother me, though I am surprised that someone with as strict standards as yourself would be doing it. :laugh:

I have indeed very strong standards regarding the way I design my models. I try to be as close as possible to the standards a Lego designer has to face.
The main restriction I do not succeed to take into account is the ref number optimisation (ref, not part). Indeed, this requires a lot of time, and the design of one part of the model (the wings, for example) also depends on the design of another part (the capsule for example), precisely to optimise the ref number on the whole model.
I do not have enough time to achieve this. Moreover, it's hard for me to know exactly what parts are used where, and in what quantity, to optimise the whole build regarding the ref number. So, I do not consider this restriction.

I do optimise the part number, and take many other restrictions into account, though.

Painting parts is not a big deal for the approach I do have with my design process. Indeed, I really try to work as a designer. And in most of the case, the color is not a restriction they have to face. Actually, not on key parts. Some parts can NOT be changed and replaced by a part already produced. This is true for the parts that are very visible, and so plays a big role in the final look.

On the contrary, sometimes it is possible to ignore the "right" color.

For example, that part : Posted Image
http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=63868

It would have been cool to have it in dark red. But it does not exist in that color. So, I've used it in white (to attach the radar near the cockpit).
White, it's fine. And it avoids to create/paint another part.

Inside the model, generally, I also define a little color scheme. For instance, on the republic cruiser I choosed black for the parts that can be classified as "bricks", and dark bluish gray for those which can be classified as "plates". Well, this is a choice. I could also have choosen DBG and LBG.
This color scheme on the structure helps to understand how it is built, and to identify the parts that are used.

I do not use parts with odd colors (example, a green part or a yellow part in the structure) that are used in the model as a kind of mark for the kids (it makes things easier for them to compare their build with the instruction, instead of only black and DBG parts) given that I do not know exactly what are the rules to position these parts with odd colors.

Edited by Anio, 26 December 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#24 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

• Hoping to get it up tonight

Member: 10293

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

That's so pretty. :thumbup: You've nailed the shape exactly and I'm wishing I had one.  And it's good to see someone explaining how they built this.  I may look into that with my next MOC.  You wouldn't be willing to share the .lxf file would you?
Posted Image
Alexis Fenral
Level 47 In Heroica RPG, In The Hall
Flickr, Bricklink Store, The Review Spot, Facebook

#25 Anio

Anio

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

View PostMasked Builder, on 29 December 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

That's so pretty. :thumbup: You've nailed the shape exactly and I'm wishing I had one.  And it's good to see someone explaining how they built this.  I may look into that with my next MOC.  You wouldn't be willing to share the .lxf file would you?
It is cool you like it.

I do not plan to share the lxf file. Indeed, a friend and I will maybe release an instruction in the future.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users