Set Number: 6293

Price: 12.99 $, 12.99 Euro

Pieces: 53 pieces (incl. 2 spares)

Year of release: 2012

Links: Peeron, Bricklink and Brickset

The Box

Front

6293_001.jpg

As is well known, the new line of Hero Factory sets introduces a new ‘boxing’ model (with the only exception of Black Phantom, as far as I know). It is more of a hybrid box/bag, actually. The material is though flexible plastic, possibly lined with a tin foil? The end result is the envelope is quite thick and can withstand some handling without fear of damaging the contents.

These new bags (or boxes) are quite hard to photograph, since the shiny metallic surface will reflect any light in unpleasant halos that cover part of the design.

Nonetheless, you can see TLG designers put a lot of effort in these packaging. For instance, the upper part sports a zipper design, indicating this is a re-sealable bag. If you look at the flap, you can see the HF symbol on it (villains’ laps have personal designs).

The lager part of the front is covered by an action shot showing our not so rookie Furno swimming in what is probably an ocean world, on the tracks of Jawblade. The same Jawblade can be glimpsed in the upper right corner. The lower right corner is occupied by an ad for the on-line game and shows the number of free points (300 in this case) this set’s hidden code will grant you (more on this later).

The LEGO, Hero Factory logos, set number and age range (plus probably more info in the American version) complete the front.

Back

6293_002.jpg

The back shows Furno, some action features like the cannon and manacles and a 1:1 shot of his head. It would seem the Heroes were struck by a bout of nostalgia, as they all got back to using their first helmets (with the notable exception of Rocka, who never had a 1.0 helmet to begin with). This is a clever move from TLG, imo. In fact, they got a lot of criticism for the lack of personality in the 2.0 design, and the more original 3.0 helmets worked only for the peculiar environment they were designed for.

There is a cut here line on top, together with Furno’s name on the upper left corner. The mid portion of the back sports a larger ad for the Hero Factory site and on-line videogames. Finally, TLG usual legal notes complete the lower portion of the back.

Size comparison

6293_003.jpg

As you can see, this new Heroes’ bags are way bigger than the standard canisters we got used to in recent lines.

Opening

6293_005.jpg

Using an exacto knife (or similar) and some attention, you can cut just one side of the bag, so that you can take the contents out, put them back in and re-seal the bag without extensive damage to its overall appearance.

Contents

Inside

6293_006.jpg

The bag contains two smaller bags of parts (I suppose they are needed to protect the pieces given the more flexible nature of the outer bag), a loose torso bone piece, two ribbed tubes and an instructions’ booklet.

6293_012.jpg

As expected from Furno, red is the main colour, complemented by some white. The bones are mainly black, with some dark bluish grey pieces. Transparent colours are used for the head and one shell piece.

New pieces

6293_013.jpg

The new parts, largely anticipated are the larger torso piece, here decorated with flames, the new launcher base and cannon part (more about these later on), and the smaller Hero Core. I like how the core is decorated with a light grey design to underline the central H.

6293_014.jpg

The torso piece uses the standard ball connection to attach to the torso bone.

6293_015.jpg

Equally interesting are the manacle parts, which come loose in the bag, and must be…

6293_016.jpg

…assembled to use. The star like design on the sides of the holes might be meant to represent energy siphoning devices which take the power from the bearer, as seen in the previous films.

Re-coloured parts

6293_017.jpg

The re-coloured parts include the large shell piece in red, the hand shield from Savage Planet in flat silver and the long bone piece with 90° turn in dark bluish grey.

Spare parts

6293_018.jpg

This set includes 2 spare parts: a robot hand/clip and a Technic pin with friction.

Instructions

6293_007.jpg

The front of the booklet shows the same image as the front of the bag, minus the ads and some other info.

6293_008.jpg

The first pages are devoted to advertising the on-line game and the way to use the hidden code printed on the back side of the Hero Core to gain free points.

6293_009.jpg

Furno and Jawblade can combine to form an even deadlier shark-like creature armed with a fin mounted cannon.

6293_010.jpg

Random page – every step is accompanied by its pieces’ call out box. Nothing too complicated, but useful to tell one shell piece from the other. The background image, in greenish aqua tones, does not distract the eye, but give a pleasant surface on which the steps are displayed.

6293_011.jpg

The usual parts’ list. Nothing special here.

Building

Start

6293_020.jpg

The build starts off with the torso and legs.

Adding arms

6293_021.jpg

First we add the armoured left arm, then…

6293_022.jpg

… the cannon arm on the right. Despite their different length, the two arms do not look too disproportioned when the Hero is posed.

6293_023.jpg

Armour and propellers lead us to the…

Finished set

6293_024.jpg

Furno looks ready to take on any enemy. I can envision him using those propellers to fly as well as swim, and the arms and tubes give him a bulky appearance he never sported in previous incarnations.

Size comparison

6293_025.jpg

Compared to the older Hero sets (excluding the Titans), the new Heroes look bigger and bulkier. I believe that Surge and Evo, though, being smaller sets, will be more or less as tall as their previous versions.

Bonus images

Cuff ’em

6293_026.jpg

Here Furno demonstrates the use of the new manacles on the only willing partner he could find…

Back to the origins

6293_027.jpg

After capturing Jawblade, Furno can get hold of his plasma blades once again (I know the story will tell us they are other weapons, mot certainly, but still…)

Launchers’ combos

6293_028.jpg

There has been some debate about the new launcher parts and how they could combine with the older ones. As evident from this shot, the new part is shorter than the ’09 one.

6293_029.jpg

If used together, the ’09 piece will extend more than the ’11 one, rendering the launcher useless.

6293_030.jpg

But LEGO is all about creativity. So, let’s just connect the ’09 piece via the pin hole, instead of the axle hole. And here we have a working launcher once again!

6293_031.jpg

The only con is that the ’09 piece will tend to pivot on the pin, but using friction pins will reduce this problem noticeably.

6293_032.jpg

Of course, the ’11 piece and the cannon top work together (though I cannot launch anything, probably because of my big fingers).

6293_033.jpg

By using the pin hole again, …

6293_034.jpg

… the combination of cannon top and ’09 launcher piece is possible once again!

6293_035.jpg

As a final note, any combination including the cannon top will be unable to shoot the Glatorian spiked balls (Thornax fruits, if I remember correctly).

Final comments

Overall, Furno 4.0 is a fantastic figure. He’s bigger and better equipped than ever, and can take on his opponents in their own environment, so he must be pretty good at it, too. The new and re-coloured pieces are a good addition to anyone’s collection and are excellent MOCing pieces. His design is unique, as for all the Heroes in this line, and the colour scheme is excellent.

Design & Colour scheme – 10/10 (Very well proportioned and efficient. Red & white work well together, and the darker accents give a good old mechanical feel to the overall design. No complaints whatsoever.)

Parts – 9/10 (Great variety of useful parts, a reasonable amount of new pieces, and even a cool printed one! The only small con is the use of the old ‘brittle’ piece for the head, which gives a nasty feel when clipping it on, compared to the newer ones.)

Playability – 10/10 (The movements are smooth, and the propellers’ feature is a very nice touch. Moreover, the cannon and the castle axe on it give a nice harpoon feel to the right arm, fitting the environment.)

Build – 8/10 (Nothing too complex, but some efficient solutions are used.)

Price – 10/10 (I believe it’s a good compromise between number of pieces, their size and the number of new parts in this set.)

Overall: 9.4/10 Excellent

As always, questions, comments, and pic requests welcome!

So they are the 1.0 helmets after all?

Sure, they look great, but they feel... a lazy move from LEGO.

As I said on Jawblade, I really love those bags. And that transparent armor piece <3

Thanks for the review lad, do you have Breez by any case? Or Splitface? I will be waiting for those reviews.

Ah, my beloved Furno at last!

Just tell me, does he have empty back like 2.0 and 3.0 sets have? It is my main complaint about new construction of heroes.

So they are the 1.0 helmets after all?

Sure, they look great, but they feel... a lazy move from LEGO.

As I said on Jawblade, I really love those bags. And that transparent armor piece <3

Thanks for the review lad, do you have Breez by any case? Or Splitface? I will be waiting for those reviews.

They are 1.0 helmets agan, but look on the bright side: we gat Rocka's 'prequel' helmet. :wink:

I do not have those sets personally, but some bird-bot tells me their reviews will be coming shortly. Just stay tuned.

Ah, my beloved Furno at last!

Just tell me, does he have empty back like 2.0 and 3.0 sets have? It is my main complaint about new construction of heroes.

Yes, the back is hollow as in the 2.0 and 3.0 lines, but the tubes do something to cover it in the upper part.

Re-coloured parts

The re-coloured parts include the large shell piece in red, the hand shield from Savage Planet in flat silver and the long bone piece with 90° turn in dark bluish grey.

That Savage Planet shell piece is not, in fact, in a new color-- it was in the same color (315 Silver Metallic) in Nex 3.0.

Anyway, great review! Furno's nicely-designed, though not my favorite of the new heroes. I don't understand the transparent fluorescent reddish orange cladding. While it matches Bright Red to an extent, it seems a bit inexplicable to me why they used this color and not a color already present in his color scheme.

Great review, thanks! I was hoping for some insight into the new HF sets for a while, so your in-depth look is appreciated. On the cuffs: Do they ever dangle down below his feet?

Great review, thanks! I was hoping for some insight into the new HF sets for a while, so your in-depth look is appreciated. On the cuffs: Do they ever dangle down below his feet?

I'm glad my review could help you. As for the cuffs, no, they don't get below the feet (unless you bed his knee 90à, of course :laugh: ).

Yes, the back is hollow as in the 2.0 and 3.0 lines, but the tubes do something to cover it in the upper part.

Then I've only got to shout: WHY?! T_____T

However, the whole look of the set is stylish. I already wanna see other Heroes. :3

Was still hoping for 2.0fied versions of the helmets, oh well.

I don't really like this guy. I may get him for pieces if I am suddenly wealthy. It is the legs, they make him look like he is wearing shorts. :wacko:

Was still hoping for 2.0fied versions of the helmets, oh well.

I don't really like this guy. I may get him for pieces if I am suddenly wealthy. It is the legs, they make him look like he is wearing shorts. :wacko:

I personally think it looks more like he's wearing white tights and red boots! Although that might also bother some people. William Furno, the Boy Wonder! :tongue:

Very nice. It seems HF is really hitting its stride. These new sets are pretty awesome. I could do without the white though.

Where does it say the components are made in on the packet.

Components are from Hungary, Mexico and Czech Republic.

Thanks, I was worried that they were going to do what they did with the super heroes, and have some parts made in China.

Not in Denmark? That's a bit surprising. Usually a lot of more complex parts like BIONICLE and Hero Factory parts are manufactured there. Not that I really care where the parts are made as long as they're high quality-- and yes, that includes many of the Chinese-made parts I've owned.

As a whole I think this set looks great though the white armour is slightly annoying, as is the trans-orange cladding. Like many I was hoping that it would be transparent red. Ah well, he's a great looking set overall. Thanks for another quality review!

Thanks for the review! The new sets look pretty cool. I wish Furno had another weapon, and some back armor-- the set on its own looks a little bland. I'm actually very fond of the white; I'm glad LEGO's using different color schemes. Can't wait to see Breez and Rocka!

Excellent reviews you made, LuxorV!

I rated him "Average", because there are so many things that could be improved in my eyes, starting with the colour scheme. The white needs to go, and so does the dark bley in the bone joints (ugh, I hate those) and the tr. orange (I was hoping for tr. red till the end, but I guess I excepted too much..). And I think the shoulders should be higher, right now he looks..unimpressive. But these are easy modifications to do, thankfully.

Edited by Shakar

Thanks for the review. While I don't like the new packaging (simply because I prefer sturdy canisters) and I'm still unsure about the new hero cores, but aside from that, this version of Furno looks pretty neat. Sadly, I'll still have to wait some time until they'll hit German shelves.

One last question about Furno... while his helmet is the old one, what about the head piece underneath the helmet? Is it the same Iron Man-like head back from 2009 or is it a new mold with minor modifications?

One last question about Furno... while his helmet is the old one, what about the head piece underneath the helmet? Is it the same Iron Man-like head back from 2009 or is it a new mold with minor modifications?

I thought I stated it somewhere in the review... Anyway, it's the old 2009 headpiece. :wink:

Outstanding! Awesome set anyway. I'm glad to see such a proffesionall review. 2012 will be the best for Hero Factory theme. I'm collecting money for Heroes from now!

I think this guy looks very cool. He'll be one of the first I get. One question, can the new launcher piece (the cannon-like one) be used with a normal hand?

Do you mean a Glatorian/Hero hand (yes, I know the latter has one more finger)? Yup. Look at Breeze, who is the only one who does that. That's clearly a lime hand that is shown.

Do you mean a Glatorian/Hero hand (yes, I know the latter has one more finger)? Yup. Look at Breeze, who is the only one who does that. That's clearly a lime hand that is shown.

Oh, thank you! I'll modify him when I get him then, doesn't make sense why he doesn't. :S