Rakath Mountains Border Tower
Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:03 PM
I present to you all my second tower for this challenge, as Kaliphlin has fewer members then the rest it is only fair.
High up in the Rakath Moutnain range to the far north near the border to Nocturnus stands a great tower built of locally sourced solid obsidian with help from our friendly dwarves. The tower looks Nocturnus in color but this is due to the local materials as the tower sits on top of a valcano surrounded by a moat of lava.
More photos on my Flickr
Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:24 AM
Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:30 AM
Couple of minor suggestions, but in general this looks pretty good as is:
- I'm not a big fan of red, but in this situation it works OK with the black; dark-red might look better, but those bricks are a bit harder to come by. If you have some dark-red slopes, you might want to try them.
- I'd put a few orange/trans-orange plates or maybe two cheese pieces back-to-back on the lava river plates across the bottom, just so it's not so flat. See how it looks with a bit of texture, or try to create ripples in the lava.
- I'd like to see how it looks with a more lived-in look, like with a few minifigs and some clutter, like food, weapons, cups, etc.
- You might want to consider putting some long 1 wide plates on the ends of the roof, to hide the blocky ends of those red slope bricks. Look at Derfel Cadarn's medieval village building guide for examples. They're a bit of a pain, but really do make the roof look a lot better.
- You're getting a really good white background and base under it for the photos (probably using foamcore). If you add another light source from another angle, like from the right on the main photo, you won't get shadows like you have now. Not only will the photos then look a bit better, but if you ever want to wipe out the background completely in an image editing tool, it will be a lot easier.
- Maybe just a bit more of a story: who built it and when, what's the volcano named, some more about the dwarves, etc...
Keep up the good work! We're really seeing a big push of Kaliphlin watchtowers here in the homestretch!
Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:15 PM
PS Angeli, was the drow tracker called Johnny?
(I'm itching to build something now...)
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users