Sign in to follow this  
Slave2Leia

9V Train Help w/Emerald Night

Hi

I'm new to Eurobricks and to the world of Lego Trains. I'm having an issue with my first train set and I hope you all could help. I bought and converted the Emerald Night to run on a 9v track using the method I read on the forum, motor on tender. I’ve set up my Emerald Night on an tracking and started running it with two passenger cars and a caboose and it was going great for a few minutes then just stopped. I’ve tried fixing the wheels on the locomotive like was mentioned and even removed the piston that connects all the wheels. But it is still coming to a stop after a few minutes. I got the 9V motor used on eBay is it possible the motor is not strong enough? It seems to run fine without the locomotive in front of it that's why I thought it was the wheels causing the problem.

Any help would be great, thank you.

Edited by Slave2Leia

There's a thread or two here on EB about friction problems with the EN. Have you read them? That's where I would start...

May you post some pictures of your Emerald Night locomotive (maybe of the bottom)?

Where does locomotive stop? Does it stop running on corners or on straight track? :sceptic:

I can post some pictures tomorrow but for now, the EN has stopped on several different points on the track. I thought it was the track so I checked it and moved it around and still it just stops. I but the 9v motor/tender in the front and it ran longer then before but still came to a stop after 5 or so minutes. I'm going to get an other motor and see if that makes a difference. Maybe if I put 2 on the train it will be better.

You should try just pushing the train (without the motor) around your layout first. There are many issues with the EN that can make it seize up, the track is unlikely to be the problem.

You should try just pushing the train (without the motor) around your layout first. There are many issues with the EN that can make it seize up, the track is unlikely to be the problem.

and by 'push' the train, you need to push the tender and not the loco. if you push the actual loco you effectively add pressure or weight to the loco increasing the friction between the wheels and rail. as what is locking the motion up will be very slight friction somewhere ( probably the piston rod locking at an angle if you haven't modded the cylinder ) and you will force the piston rod ( if it is that ) through the sticky patch due to the iuncreased friction at the wheels and rail.

We got the same problem in our club layout with EN. If the motor is ok, perhaps you should try to put some weight into the tender to avoid the wheel-spin of the 9V motor.

and by 'push' the train, you need to push the tender and not the loco. if you push the actual loco you effectively add pressure or weight to the loco increasing the friction between the wheels and rail. as what is locking the motion up will be very slight friction somewhere ( probably the piston rod locking at an angle if you haven't modded the cylinder ) and you will force the piston rod ( if it is that ) through the sticky patch due to the iuncreased friction at the wheels and rail.

I did notice some binding up of the wheels on the EN loco so I removed the piston and wheel connector and it still came to a stop after a minute or so.

We got the same problem in our club layout with EN. If the motor is ok, perhaps you should try to put some weight into the tender to avoid the wheel-spin of the 9V motor.

I've wired up lights in the loco so the AAA battery box is in the tender. It seems to be enough weight.

Did you also take a look at the fixes (o.a.) proposed by Ludo Soete:

http://issuu.com/railbricks/docs/rb7

I've tried some MODS like the axle pins, but I have not increased the cylinder as I don't have the parts needed to do so.

Thank you all for the help, it's was frustrating when this happened. I've gone to so much work to get this train up and running and setting up my Lego Christmas village under my tree and was very excited to have the train going.

Are you sure it's not the Emerald Night but the 9v motor itself giving you problems?

I'm running into a similar problem, my 9v tender-powered EN slows down and shuts down after 20 metres or so, faster if it's pulling more than 2 EN cars. I worked out that either the motor is overloading and getting too hot, or the temperature sensor inside the motor itself is on the fritz. either way, the EN passenger cars are a lot heavier than a standard freight car and tend to add more stress on the pulling motors.