Handy Cloth Flag Resource I just recently discovered

8 replies to this topic  – Started by Hikaro Takayama , Dec 02 2011 02:56 AM

#1 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Member: 20752

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:56 AM

Libraries

Well, some of you might know about my Neo-Confederate Battle Cruiser that I've been working on (using the black hull pieces from the Black Pearl set), and I was trawling the internet for a good online shop for suitable cloth or plastic confederate flags (I'm using the first national flag or "stars and bars" as the national ensign and the battle flag or "rebel flag" as the naval ensign).

The name of the site is ModelFlags.com, and they have a HUGE selection of flags, both land and sea from the early modern era on (they even have the Republic of Texas Navy Jack :pir_laugh2: ), in a wide variety of sizes (from slightly smaller than the 2x2 plastic flags up to somewhat larger than the old-school large pirate flags)...

I thought I'd share this with you all, since it could be a handy resource for Pirate MOCs.... :pir-sweet:

Genderfluid and proud of it.

"Wot's faster than a warbuggy, more killy than a warbike, and flies through da air like a bird? I got no bleedin' idea, but I'm gonna find out."  - Kog da Flymek, pioneer of the Deffkopta

#2 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

Good find, I can definitely see some ship builders or even MOCers who might utilize this site.

#3 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

View PostBig Cam, on 02 December 2011 - 07:58 PM, said:

Good find, I can definitely see some ship builders or even MOCers who might utilize this site.

Thaks!  BTW, I just found out that the flags aren't treated for anti-fraying, so you have to do that yourself (they have a tutorial on the site)... I was just planning on more, or less soaking them in Model Airplane Dope (basically a thin glue/varnish), which would give them a similar finish/feel to the official LEGO flags.  They also have hull decals (vinyl, IIRC) and signal flags as well. :pir-sweet:

"Wot's faster than a warbuggy, more killy than a warbike, and flies through da air like a bird? I got no bleedin' idea, but I'm gonna find out."  - Kog da Flymek, pioneer of the Deffkopta

#4 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:37 PM

Since this may not get a lot of attention right now, I'll add this to the index so when someone is looking to build a ship later, it can be found.

This has been added to the master index under Libraries.

#5 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:06 AM

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a very useful website and I hope you find what you are looking for your upcoming project.

Edited by Hiawatha, 04 December 2011 - 02:06 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

#6 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for indexing it, Big Cam!  I just hope someone will find it useful....

View PostHiawatha, on 04 December 2011 - 02:06 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like a very useful website and I hope you find what you are looking for your upcoming project.

Well, my first order from them is on its way... Expect a proper review when I get it. ;)

#7 Big Cam

Big Cam
  • A good mood, too.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostHikaro Takayama, on 04 December 2011 - 06:39 AM, said:

Thanks for indexing it, Big Cam!  I just hope someone will find it useful....

Well, my first order from them is on its way... Expect a proper review when I get it. ;)
When you get them, be sure to do at least a mini review in this thread since it's on the index. :pir-classic:

#8 Hikaro Takayama

Hikaro Takayama

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:47 AM

Ok, my flags finally got here (actually they got here Wednesday afternoon, but I didn't have the time or materials to finish them out and post a review until tonight), and so on with the promised mini-review:

The flags arrived here from the UK after only 6 days, which is impressive, considering how long PAB orders usually take to get here (i.e. about 3-4 weeks).  The flags arrived inside their own individual, cardboard-backed zip-lock bags and were in excellent shape.

Posted Image
BECC Flag Review by Hikaro Takayama, on Flickr

As you can see from the pic, they are a "some assembly required" proposition... First you need to seal the edges of the flag, either by using model glue, as shown in the video below:

...or using some kind of anti-fray treatment, like the Fray Check (shown in the photo above) that I used, then trim off the excess material... When I fray-checked the flags, they felt almost identical to official LEGO cloth products and had the same aroma, meaning that LEGO possibly uses this anti-fray treatment on its stuff...

In addition, I found that the cloth was of a thickness that allowed me to use Brick Arms U-Clips or Monopods (also pictured) to fasten the flag to a LEGO flagpole, without being loose or putting undue stress on the Monopods.  The pictured flags are their size "B" and "C", which are 25mm and 38mm, respectively, and how they stack up compared to official LEGO flags in size...  For my massive ship project, I should have ordered the "Stars and Bars" flag in the 38mm size and the Confederate Battle Flag in the 50mm or 75mm size (D and E), and they also have flags up to 150mm in length.

All in all, I was very impressed with the quality of these flags, both material and printing and wouldn't hesitate to order more flags from this outfit.

Oh, and in addition to flags they have vinyl decal sheets (i.e. the same exact type as the official LEGO DSS decals) for applying to ship hulls and/or aircraft and vehicles.

I hope this review and resource proves helpful.

Edited by Hikaro Takayama, 10 December 2011 - 05:53 AM.

#9 Hiawatha

Hiawatha

Member: 20480

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the review! :thumbup: I can't wait to see these flags on your Confederate ship!

Posted Image Posted Image

My Brickshelf

View Postefullner, on 06 October 2011 - 12:28 AM, said:

I can figure what Dey will say when he meets with Hiawatha.

Hiya, Watha!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links