Jump to content


Mitgardian steam tank


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 _dargor_

_dargor_

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 09-October 09
    Member: 7749
    Country: Spain

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:41 AM

The Grellow Baron and the Mitgardian Engineer Corps are proud to present it´s latest creation:

Posted Image


The Steam Tank Mark I has been named Vallhol´s Place in honor to our great capital, where it´s has been developed.

This weapon will create chaos among any enemies. It´s like a cart but with steel armor and tireless power to move. He tan take down any wall with his frontal cannon and can make way through enemy lines thanks to it´s two frontal flame throwers (it´s like a small dragon).

Posted Image


The only problem it´s that we need too much steel to produce this model, so we will need to test well this prototype on battlefield before creating more of them.

Posted Image


Milord the tank is ready to serve!!!

Posted Image



#2 Angeli

Angeli

  • Drow Master Builder


    Posts: 904
    Joined: 10-November 10
    Member: 14156
    Country: Serbia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Like I said, go in this direction and we will have teleport, radars and energy plasma shields very soon in our castle surroundings ;)

Other then that, nice train ;)

#3 Cij Daoke

Cij Daoke

  • Nocturnus Emissary to Mitgardia


    Posts: 72
    Joined: 11-November 11
    Member: 21759
    Country: Brazil

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:57 AM

Liked the tank very much, but I do think we must discuss heavy usage of steam and powder in Historica...
Posted Image

#4 Viceroy

Viceroy

    Posts: 86
    Joined: 12-March 11
    Member: 16554

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:08 AM

This is cool, very steam punk-ey! Its the kind of creation I was hoping to see more in Mitgardia's forces thanks to our large dwarven population and I hope to see more great inventions from you Dargor.

That said, I'm with Angeli and others on restricting the use of gunpowder. I suspect there will be a Royal Decree from Cedrica soon before things get crazy. Although this MOC minus the cannon would be just inside the allowance given to 'dwarven engineering' (I think this has been mentioned before) in my humble opinion.
Hvar Icewind - Travelling Merchant and Bard.
Owner and Proprietor of The Worlds End Caravan Co.
Official Guild Catographer
For Mitgarida!

#5 Axel

Axel

    Posts: 120
    Joined: 03-June 08
    Member: 3232
    Country: Australia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:16 AM

View PostAngeli, on 24 November 2011 - 01:42 AM, said:

Like I said, go in this direction and we will have teleport, radars and energy plasma shields very soon in our castle surroundings ;)

Other then that, nice train ;)


Of course we will...using magic.  :laugh:

Edited by Axel, 24 November 2011 - 02:16 AM.

Velethuil, Captain of the Kaliphlin Elf-Knights


#6 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

  • Historica's Fortune Teller


    Posts: 2081
    Joined: 04-May 06
    Member: 759
    Country: USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

View PostViceroy, on 24 November 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

This is cool, very steam punk-ey! Its the kind of creation I was hoping to see more in Mitgardia's forces thanks to our large dwarven population and I hope to see more great inventions from you Dargor.

That said, I'm with Angeli and others on restricting the use of gunpowder. I suspect there will be a Royal Decree from Cedrica soon before things get crazy. Although this MOC minus the cannon would be just inside the allowance given to 'dwarven engineering' (I think this has been mentioned before) in my humble opinion.


The cannon is the most medieval part about this... the steam engine would be the part that might be crossing that imaginary line (are you all really going to limit what a person builds?) Cannons date back well into the middle ages. Besides what happens when someone builds a hovering wagon that shoots lightning bolts... but it is ok, because it is all magic based? Whereas I am not really a fan of the Historica thing (I don't know, some of these MOCs are kind of tempting me) I think putting limits on it would be bad.  

Back to this MOC. I would go with black wheels to make them look like steel, or maybe just some of the larger steel looking wheels. I think it is sort of funny how it looks now, because with that large of a steam engine the wooden wheels would give way quite quickly!  :)
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."


Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#7 Sirens-of-Titan

Sirens-of-Titan

  • Future tiler


    Posts: 1005
    Joined: 09-November 08
    Member: 4341
    Country: USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

Yes indeed, I have just addressed the usage of cannon and steampunk in the official Guild thread, please refer to it.

Now, apart from that issue, I think it's a marvelous creation, very much reminds me of the warhammer steam tanks the Empire uses. I especially like the rear, and the smoke coming from the chimney. Let's call it a dwarven wonder/prototype that exist as the only such machine in all of Mitgardia. That way it's mighty but won't win us wars single-handedly.  :wink:

The pictures came out great, and the snow-capped grass pieces really are a great way to show a snowy field! Well done, can't wait to see more from you!

Long live Mitgardia!  :thumbup:
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
— Terry Pratchett



My MOC Pages
My Flickr

#8 Viceroy

Viceroy

    Posts: 86
    Joined: 12-March 11
    Member: 16554

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

View PostSkaForHire, on 24 November 2011 - 02:24 AM, said:

The cannon is the most medieval part about this...

Referencing history and conventional timelines is not really applicable here when there are already elves, dwarves, dragons and mammoths about!  :laugh:

The point I was trying to make is that we should steer from excessive weaponry and conversely I dont think a steam powered pump/lift in a mine would attract the same kind of critcism (as an example). Anyway S-O-T has spoken...

Edited by Viceroy, 24 November 2011 - 02:49 AM.

Hvar Icewind - Travelling Merchant and Bard.
Owner and Proprietor of The Worlds End Caravan Co.
Official Guild Catographer
For Mitgarida!

#9 SkaForHire

SkaForHire

  • Historica's Fortune Teller


    Posts: 2081
    Joined: 04-May 06
    Member: 759
    Country: USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

View PostViceroy, on 24 November 2011 - 02:47 AM, said:

Referencing history and conventional timelines is not really applicable here when there are already elves, dwarves, dragons and mammoths about!  :laugh:

The point I was trying to make is that we should steer from excessive weaponry and conversely I dont think a steam powered pump/lift in a mine would attract the same kind of critcism (as an example). Anyway S-O-T has spoken...


I Understand, sorry that it came off snooty... As a neutral observer in this event, I would just like to see no limits building. Some of these have been quite fantastic! You make a good points about the timeline, however I never really thought of steampunk much greater of a rift than high magic. Also, since this is going on in a forum with wild west also, it might give those people an opportunity to participate.

Who has mammoths? I want to see that MOC!
D.L.T.B.G.Y.D.  Flickr Feed

Dugal MacLean of the Kaliphlin Guild ~ "GEAR Up with GEAR CO supplies."


Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image
Triumphal Arch of Petraea ... | ....   Devil's Island   ...... | ........    Rakath Mountain Ritual

#10 Dr Rod

Dr Rod

  • Rod Zombie


    Posts: 317
    Joined: 24-January 10
    Member: 9252
    Country: Nocturnus

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:53 AM

View PostViceroy, on 24 November 2011 - 02:08 AM, said:

This is cool, very steam punk-ey! Its the kind of creation I was hoping to see more in Mitgardia's forces thanks to our large dwarven population and I hope to see more great inventions from you Dargor.

That said, I'm with Angeli and others on restricting the use of gunpowder. I suspect there will be a Royal Decree from Cedrica soon before things get crazy. Although this MOC minus the cannon would be just inside the allowance given to 'dwarven engineering' (I think this has been mentioned before) in my humble opinion.

Well Nocturia does have sulphur mines, and Dr Rod is an alchemist...
Gunpowder in Historica should be VERY primitive and unreliable. Making a steam engine is a HUGE technological leap from crude cast cannons full of blackpowder firing rocks...

Dr Rod
AKA: Intrastella on Flickr
Guilds of Historica: Nocturnus Alchemist
Posted Image

#11 Viceroy

Viceroy

    Posts: 86
    Joined: 12-March 11
    Member: 16554

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

View PostDr Rod, on 24 November 2011 - 03:53 AM, said:

Gunpowder in Historica should be VERY primitive and unreliable. Making a steam engine is a HUGE technological leap from crude cast cannons full of blackpowder firing rocks...

Dr Rod

Again, the point im trying to make is that we should just stick to convensional weapons and leave gunpowder, steam tech etc to the inconsequential MOCs so no faction feels others have unfair military advantages.

Also just for the sake of truth, you've got it the wrong way round. As a concept steam powered devices predate gunpowder by ~900 years.
My link
:wink:

@ SKaForHire No worries mate! Check out TomcatRio's stuff in the Mitgardian thread for his wonderous beasts!

I'm going to leave it there and stop hijacking this thread as this should be about Dargor. Keep on MOC'n buddy!  :thumbup:

Edited by Viceroy, 24 November 2011 - 04:20 AM.

Hvar Icewind - Travelling Merchant and Bard.
Owner and Proprietor of The Worlds End Caravan Co.
Official Guild Catographer
For Mitgarida!

#12 Dr Rod

Dr Rod

  • Rod Zombie


    Posts: 317
    Joined: 24-January 10
    Member: 9252
    Country: Nocturnus

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

View PostViceroy, on 24 November 2011 - 04:16 AM, said:


Also just for the sake of truth, you've got it the wrong way round. As a concept steam powered devices predate gunpowder by ~900 years.

But a self propelled steam tank... that is a major technological advance.

Dr Rod
AKA: Intrastella on Flickr
Guilds of Historica: Nocturnus Alchemist
Posted Image

#13 _dargor_

_dargor_

    Posts: 23
    Joined: 09-October 09
    Member: 7749
    Country: Spain

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

View PostSirens-Of-Titan, on 24 November 2011 - 02:24 AM, said:

Yes indeed, I have just addressed the usage of cannon and steampunk in the official Guild thread, please refer to it.

Now, apart from that issue, I think it's a marvelous creation, very much reminds me of the warhammer steam tanks the Empire uses. I especially like the rear, and the smoke coming from the chimney. Let's call it a dwarven wonder/prototype that exist as the only such machine in all of Mitgardia. That way it's mighty but won't win us wars single-handedly.  :wink:

The pictures came out great, and the snow-capped grass pieces really are a great way to show a snowy field! Well done, can't wait to see more from you!

Long live Mitgardia!  :thumbup:


I like the idea of left it as prototype. It was based on the Warhammer steam tank that if I remember well was the only prototype because his creator died without lefting any designing plans of it.

I also designed it to have some weak points so it does not appears as a perfect killing machine. The wheels are from wood and also the engine that its exposed to attacks. As the people say it´s very primitive and will have failures (just like the one in warhammer, its an advance for an army but it does not ensure that it will blow in front of your own army or get out of control). But when your are going to present something to impress people you don´t talk about weak points  :tongue:

#14 Kklaklaklara

Kklaklaklara

    Posts: 14
    Joined: 18-November 11
    Member: 22068

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Nice machine! The other guilds will tremble under it`s weight! Hopefully the wheels won`t crack.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users