TalonCard

From Almaak to Zotax: all the planets in the LEGO galaxies...

Hi all,

So I got curious about the all the planets that have been named in official LEGO sources: web sites, set boxes, video games, books, comics, etc., etc. I've been compiling a list, first from my own memory, then using Brickipedia and the Bionicle and Hero Factory wikis. For the purposes of this list, I'm assuming that all the planets exist in the same LEGO universe, but many may be in different galaxies. Planets from Star Wars and other licensed sets need not apply, as they clearly belong in their own universes.

Here's what I have so far--any additional help would be great!

LEGO Planets

214DAL

Unknown planet. (Bug Battle)

814FTW

Unknown planet. (Bug Battle)

Alpha-1

Home to the Alpha-1 Rocket Base and the orbiting Space Station Alpha 1. (483 Alpha-1 Rocket Base, SOS Space Station Alpha 1)

Almaak IV

Hero Factory planet.

Almaak V

Hero Factory planet.

Aquatica

Water world, featuring neon plantlife and blue underwater denizens. (INTER-GALACTICA touring show)

Aquazone (?)

Water world from the Aquazone theme. (Originally a space theme, and definitely takes place on another planet, but we don't have a definitive name yet. The Insectoid Invasion puzzle book and the World Club Time Cruiser comics suggest it may be part of Holox/Armeron and therefore in a different dimension.)

Arcae (Arcan?)

Gold is mined here. (

)

Arkoula 118

Hero Factory planet.

Ashlar

Castle world. (Clutch Powers)

Aurum

The Exploriens maintain a mining and research base on this planet, where they discovered gold. (Das Geheimnis um die Magischen Ratsel promotional comic.)

B-II

Homeworld of Blacktron Future Generation. (1991 Canadian Catalog)

Beta I

Home to the Beta I Command Base. (6970 Beta-1 Command Base)

Blacktron

Homeworld of the Blacktron Space Fleet and the Wuffletrunk, a popular domesticated animal. (Bricks ‘n Pieces Spring 1988) Located in the center of the galaxies. (Bricks ‘n Pieces, Spring 1991)

Blip

Homeworld of the Alien Pilot. Allegedly unpronouncable. ("Ask an Alien") Possibly the same as planet X2½ and/or the Imperial Throneworld.

Cerrazon 8

Hero Factory planet.

Cherith 9

Hero Factory planet.

Commercia

Trading center. Unknown galaxy. (Jim Spaceborn: The Unknown Galaxy)

Crux

Home of the Imagination Nexus. Now destroyed. (LEGO Universe.)

Cyber World

Home of the Technic CyberSlam/Competition theme. (July-August LEGO Mania Magazine)

Cygnia

Location of a Thermo-Dam. (Hero Factory)

DeepFreeze

Has an arctic climate, and appears similar to Canada in terms of fauna (with the exception of penguins) and flora. Located close enough to Nimbus System to be affected by the Maelstrom. (LEGO Universe)

Duplo

The inhabitants of planet Duplo staged an invasion of Bricksburg. (The LEGO Movie)

Earth

Home to most LEGO themes. Moon may be home to Galaxy City. Also known as "Terra", and "Castle Planet".

Egibe

Site of a meeting between Futuron astronauts Rodo and Wabul and an alien named Regon. Has a moon called Zoer. (De LEGO Kraant, Winter 1987)

Etamin II

Hero Factory planet.

Fabulox 18

Desert world. (Hero Factory)

Gallant 5

Site of an ancient structure created by the First Builders. (LEGO Universe)

Gixxl Prime

Home to robo-fleets that were defeated by Hypaxxus-8’s Alien Android. (July-August 2011 LEGO Magazine.)

Goferbro

A planet inhabited by minifigs, equivalent to the 70s (1970s?) on the time continuum. On the other side of the galaxy. (From Earth?) (Clutch Powers)

Hagia

Home of the Hagian Slotworm. ("Ask an Alien")

Hive Planet

Homeworld of the Galaxy Squad's alien bug invaders. Everything they capture on conquered worlds is covered in webs and brought back to the homeworld. (January/February 2013 LEGO Club Magazine)

Hivilus 5

The Hive Planet, home of Thornraxx. ("Hero Factory: Breakout") (Name uncertain--may be a fan creation.)

Holox

In Europe, this planet was called Armeron. (1998 UK Catalog) It is located in a different dimension, almost certainly the same as the Insectoids' original homeworld of Zotax. Professor Kilroy searched for years for a portal to Armeron, and finally located it within the forbidden ruins of the Pharoah Hotep. (May-June 1998 LEGO World Club Magazine) (Possibly the same as Aquazone, above.)

Its surface is barren, rocky, and dotted with Waste Ponds. Beneath the surface is an Inner World with its own sun. Its native inhabitants include giant lizards and Bilgin Bugs, who are ruled by a King.

The inhabitants of the Inner World are prevented from reaching the surface by an Ice Zone, where no Bug can survive. Beneath that is the Web Zone, home of giant spiders and the Egde Zone, home to giant lizards. The Inner World contains a Fossil Forest, and a Steaming Swamp where Spyrians and Aquasharks can be found, the Golden River of lava, the Valley of Venomous Vents, and at the planet's heart, the Flaming Furnace scorched by the innder sun.

A group of Zotaxians crash landed here, and battled the Bilgen Bugs for the sun's energy. In order to infiltrate the Inner World, the Zotaxians modified their spacehips to resemble the Bugs...and the Insectoids were born. (Insectoid Invasion)

Humorless

Homeworld of the UFO aliens; a boring place that alien leader Alpha Draconis hopes to liven up by abducting fun vehicles from Earth. (September-October 1997 LEGO Mania magazine) Probably located in the same parallel dimension and/or is the same planet as the other UFO homeworlds of Zotax and Xizos.

Ika

One million light years from Earth. Home to the insect eating Ikas, who breed Bio-beetles to feed their young. (Bricks n’ Pieces March 1996)

Imperial Throneworld

The Alien Villainess's (CMF Series 8) homeworld and the citadel of her interstellar empire! (CMF S8 website character bio) (Probably the same as planet X2½.)

Inner World, The

Home of robot OK. This is what the inhabitants of this halved planet called the habitable interior, where everything is reversed--even speech! Discovered by Captain Black and Roger Robot. (Meeting in Space)

Jovan II

Home to the Jovian cosmic storm, a famous galactic landmark, and Jovian blockodiles. (Space Police Log, July-August 2011 LEGO Magazine.)

Jupiter

Briefly mentioned in a RoboForce log. (March-April 1997 LEGO Mania)

Kollix IV

Hero Factory planet.

Krysto-2002

Frozen world on the edge of the known universe. (Ice Planet 2002 boxes and Space Miner bio.)

Lavoo

Lava Planet in the Selva/Planet X Galaxy. (Bug Battle)

Lemus 2

Planet known for producing explosives. (Hero Factory)

Lunar Tratix

Remote and barren planet. (Hero Factory: The Enemy Within)

Magma Moon

The Exploriens had a base here. (LEGO Racers)

Mars

Fourth planet of the Sol system. Home to the Martians. Has two moons, Phobos and Deimos. (Life on Mars, Mars Mission)

Mechna

Industrial planet; home world of XT4. (Hero Factory: Breakout)

Mercury

A small planet with a day approximately half as long as that of Earth. (March-April 1997 LEGO Mania)

Merak 9

There are mines on this planet. (Hero Factory: The Trials of Furno)

Mixel

Tribes of elemental creatures called Mixels inhabit this planet and its moon. They are opposed by the single-minded Nixels. (

)

Mondo II

Explorien planet. The Space Lab here once lost contact with its SatCraft 001 Spaceships. (The Space Mystery)

Mutania

A mad scientist created this totally artificial world. Its inhabitants include Minotaurs and fairies. ("LEGO Galactic Adventures" show via Summer 1993 Brick Kicks Magazine)

Nepton 13

A planet located near a black hole, which causes its inhabitants to become extremely dense. (Space Police Logs)

Ninjago

Home of the Ninjago theme. Possibly in the Nimbus system. (The Challenge of Samukai.)

Ogel

First explored by the Delta 1 Explorer, this planet is home to the Six-legged Ordregg. (1982 Spring Bricks 'n Pieces Magazine) Captain Indigo would later take a holiday here. (1985 Autumn Bricks ‘n Pieces Magazine.)

Omega

A planet in Zone 8 frequented by the Zark Star Fleet. (1983 Summer Bricks ‘n Pieces Magazine.)

Oron

Planet threatened by the Evil Connector. Two natives, Alpha and Beta, left their world on an emergancy mission to seek Brick Buildmore's help in repairing their sabotaged flying saucer. (Brick Kicks, Winter 1987)

Portabello

A fantasy world inhabited by magical, sentient animals such as flying pigs. Located close enough to Nimbus System to be affected by the Maelstrom. (LEGO Universe)

Prima Giedi

Hero Factory Planet. Probable reference to Giedi Prime, from the Dune series.

Planet U

Rock Raiders planet. Other galaxy. (Rock Raiders video game.) (The book Standing Small places this world in a parallel universe.)

Pluton IV

A frozen planet. (LEGO Play Book)

Pluuvia

Presumed home of the Pluuvian Brain-Beasts from the Alien Conquest theme. (Alien Conquest website.) (May actually refer to a planet in the Pluton system or anywhere in the Plutonic Nebula.)

Polaris I

Home to the Polaris-1 Space Lab. (6972 Polaris-1 Space Lab)

Quatros

One of the last natural sources of Quaza in the galaxy. Hero Factory planet.

Rasm

Home to an Earth mining colony, patrolled by Space Police. (AS LEGO #2)

Reverso

Backwards planet. (Duh!) (Hero Factory)

Roboton

(Other galaxy.) Secret training camp and headquarters for the Roboforce faction. (March-April 1997 LEGO Mania Magazine)

Robot Planet, the

Home to a culture of highly evolved robots who seek out rare and valuable minerals. ("LEGO Galactic Adventures" show via Summer 1993 Brick Kicks Magazine)

Robus

Jungle planet inhabited by robots, who are powered by the acid of the native fruit. Invaded by Kazak’s forces, liberated by Jim Spaceborn. Unknown galaxy. (Jim Spaceborn: The Unknown Galaxy)

Sarazon 8

(Hero Factory)

Saturn

Made up of mostly hydrogen and helium gases, with lower density than seawater. Known for its rings made up of lumps of ice and space dust, ranging in size from sugar grains to train cars. (March-April 1997 LEGO Mania) Home to 17-legged spiders which may be domesticated as pets. (January-February 1996 LEGO Mania)

Scylla

Water world. (Hero Factory)

Seguins

Home of the Suzerain. (Hero Factory)

Selva

A world targeted by invading alien bugs. Possibly home to the Galaxy Squad. Located in the Planet X/Selva Galaxy. (January/February 2013 LEGO Club Magazine)

Slizer Planet

4,000 lightyears from Earth. Home to the Throwbots. Seven different regions with different terrain. Now shattered. (May 1999 LEGO Technic Magazine)

Spherus Magna

Bionicle planet. Solis Magna system. Once shattered; now reformed at the end of the storyline.

Spyrius

Planet in the Spyrius system, one of the outer systems of the galaxies. Homeworld of the Spyrius faction, who colonized it. Possibly the same as Spyrius IV, below. (Summer 1994 Bricks 'n Pieces Magazine.)

Spyrius IV

Planet in the Spyrius system, one of the outer systems of the galaxies. Possibly the same as above. (Collectable Minifigure Space Villain bio)

Swamp Planet, the

Home to carnivourous flowers grown by Gamma Rays from the planet's strange Green Sun. 150 light years away from the Robot Planet. ("LEGO Galactic Adventures" touring show via Summer 1993 Brick Kicks Magazine, and the INTER-GALACTICA show--possibly the same show under different names.) (Possibly the same as the Jim Spaceborn Swamp Planet?)

Tansari VI

Mist-covered planet that collects lighting to provide energy to its home galaxy. (Hero Factory)

Tantalus 5

Home to a prison complex. (Hero Factory)

Tallos 5

Home to mining fields. (Hero Factory)

Tarek

Home to mutant pandas. (Hero Factory)

TECHNIC

A planet with a vast, desert surface. The TECHNIC civilization thrives here, but is plagued by fugitive gangs that destabilize TECHNIC construction. Dan Thunder and his robot helper Orb are in charge of apprehending gang members. (8428 Turbo Command Expander CD-ROM)

Terra-9

Inhabited by crystal bees and home to the Quadrillion Dunes, which are patrolled by Space Police. (The Brick Street Journal)

Terra X

Planet from INTER-GALACTICA touring show.

Tyral 9

(Hero Factory)

Unitron

Home to the Unitron forces. At the crossroads of the universe, a port of call for all aliens. (May-June 1995 Mania Magazine.)

Veedo

Bug outpost in the Planet X/Selva Galaxy. (Bug Battle)

Venus

Known by RoboForce for its unfriendly atmosphere, with temperatures up to 900 degrees and pressures like being 3,000 feet underwater; enough to vaporize spacecraft in two hours. (March-April 1997 LEGO Mania) Inhabited by Venusians, which speak the Venusian language and are known for making waffles. (Space Police III, The Brick Street Journal)

Videon

A treacherous world. (Hero Factory)

Volga

A world full of wild and dangerous life, first explored and colonized in the year 2531. (LEGO Awesome Ideas)

Vulcox

A huge lava planet located in the same system in a parallel dimension as the smaller Zotax. (1997 UFO comic insert)

X2½

Homeworld of the aliens from Alien Conquest. Also home to an aquatic race. (Alien Conquest website, "Ask an Alien") (Probably the Imperial Throneworld, possibly located in the Plutonic Nebula.)

X4

Space Police Prison planet. (Clutch Powers)

Xalax

Home to diminutive racer car drivers. Racers theme. (LEGO Racers)

Xeebo

Home to droid brothers, Techdroid 1 and Techdroid 2, who fought to save their planet from the evil Black Droid Empire. (Bricks ‘n Pieces, August 1997) Possibly located in the same dimension as Zotax and Holox.

Xizos

Home to Commander X, Prince of Xizos. (Bricks ‘n Pieces, August 1997) Probably located in the same parallel dimension as Zotax and Holox, possibly the same planet as Xotax and/or Humorless.

Z'chaya

Jungle planet. (Hero Factory: Breakout)

Zark

Home of the Zark race, ruled by Emperor Bartok. The Zarconian Jewel is the primary source of energy for the planet. (Spring 1984 Bricks n’ Pieces magazine.)

Zarron

Planet covered in bamboo. (Hero Factory)

Zonia

Homeworld of the Classic Space Minifigs. (Jim Spaceborn: The Unknown Galaxy)

Zorax

Ice planet in the Planet X/Selva Galaxy. (Bug Battle)

Zotax

Homeworld of the Zotaxians, also known as the Star People (the UFO Aliens). It is located in a parallel universe in another dimension. Its surface is barren and rocky, but a massive organism living on the surface provides a livable atmosphere for the Zotaxians. A nearby black hole provides a gateway to our galaxy. (1997 UFO comic insert) In their natural state, the Zotaxians are totally integrated into their environment. (1997 catalog) Possibly the same planet as Xizos and/or Humorless.

A group of Zotaxians who would later become the Insectoids fled from a cruel leader on their homeworld, later landing on Holox. (Insectoid Invasion)

TC

Edited by TalonCard

Interesting compilation. I could not recall any decisive info on planets' names given by TLC about any pre-story-based lines, such as Bionicle and modern Hero Factory, in Germany. There was that Bug planet from Insectoids, though, that had a name (should be the same as what you had in your list)

Fun fact: Prima Giedi? Had to suppress a lol-attack here, as "Giedi Prime" is, if I recall correctly, the name of the Harkonnen-homeworld from the Dune-universe. At least it was called that in the D. Lynch movie. :classic:

Be well!

Cutty

I've got a few things to add. First of all, there's Ashlar, the "Medieval Throwback" planet in LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers populated by fantasy-era Castle characters.

Additionally, while this probably doesn't fit anywhere on your list, in some countries (for instance, the Netherlands) Zotax was called Otopia. Also in the Netherlands, the planet Krysto from Ice Planet 2002 was actually just called Ice Planet 2002.

Thanks for all the information, everyone! That Dune reference is particularly interesting...I'll add it to my notes.

I've got a few things to add. First of all, there's Ashlar, the "Medieval Throwback" planet in LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers populated by fantasy-era Castle characters.

Additionally, while this probably doesn't fit anywhere on your list, in some countries (for instance, the Netherlands) Zotax was called Otopia. Also in the Netherlands, the planet Krysto from Ice Planet 2002 was actually just called Ice Planet 2002.

I actually had Ashlar on the list. It's an interesting case...I'd take it to mean that it's a world with significant parallels to LEGO history, like many of the worlds on Star Trek, rather than assume that the fantasy-era Castle sets only take place on Ashlar. I'd also assume that it's the same as the "Castle Planet" mentioned in a UFO/Fright Knight commercial. Possibly the homeworld of Duke Exeter from LEGO Universe as well.

I'm definitely interested in alternate planet names from other countries--I'll put that one on the list! Was this from the Netherlands version of the Insectoid Invasion book, or from the catalogs?

I'm glad you bring up Ice Planet 2002 as I've been particularly interested in that theme lately--I've been working on a project involving it. I had always assumed that the ice planet was known as Ice Planet 2002, presumably the 2002nd ice planet charted by the...um, ice planet people. Ice Planeteers? Icestronauts? Ice Tronians? So it's good to see that was the case in at least one country. The version from the American boxes is more confusing:

“The ice planet Krysto, with its vast network of frozen tunnels and caves, is the capital of a remote part of the universe known as Ice Planet 2002. It is from this snow covered planet that rocket technicians are conducting top secret research. Their findings are coveted by the Blacktron forces and even renegades within the Space Police.”

There's a region within the universe known as Ice Planet 2002, of which a particular ice planet is the capital? That makes no sense. But it's interesting that none of the storylines involved setting the theme in 2002, which seemed to be the obvious implication.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

I'm glad you bring up Ice Planet 2002 as I've been particularly interested in that theme lately--I've been working on a project involving it. I had always assumed that the ice planet was known as Ice Planet 2002, presumably the 2002nd ice planet charted by the...um, ice planet people. Ice Planeteers? Icestronauts? Ice Tronians? So it's good to see that was the case in at least one country. The version from the American boxes is more confusing:

If you are interested in the IP:2002 theme, I've got several MOCs here that are direct shoot offs of that theme. Give them a look and tell me what you think

Nice compilation. Are you receiving new ideas?

I think that Aquazone Planet is planet that famous of it's vast oceans with very small land and resources on it, but with rich reserves of crystals in the cave on the very bottoms so Aquazone expedition has been provided with submarine equipment.

Aquasharks, as I think, are space pirates that has stole several experimental submersible equipment from Space Police. Early SP is always differs from other factions because of oblong cockpits and flat design of ships, aren't they?

Also I think that there must be more sea monsters and underwater mining equipment.

Edited by -N13OS-

Nice idea. I didn't know there were so many planets. In the European storyline for Slizer, there are 8 separate planets. 7 have an element of one of the Slizers (water, fire, city, etc.) and the eighth is the Judge Dome for settling conflicts. For most of the Bionicle storyline, Spherus Magna is split up into Aqua Magna, Bota Magna, and Bara Magna. Aqua Magna is the water moon where Mata Nui's robot body landed. The storyline for 2001-2008 took place there. Bara Magna is the desert planet where the storyline for 2009-2010 happens. Bota Magna is the jungle moon that is pretty much ignored.

Nice Guide to the Lego Galaxy! Looks like you got pretty much everything covered. The only other planet I can think of is the Space Police prison planet from the Clutch Powers movie, but I don't think it was named.

For most of the Bionicle storyline, Spherus Magna is split up into Aqua Magna, Bota Magna, and Bara Magna. Aqua Magna is the water moon where Mata Nui's robot body landed. The storyline for 2001-2008 took place there. Bara Magna is the desert planet where the storyline for 2009-2010 happens. Bota Magna is the jungle moon that is pretty much ignored.

However, in the end of Bionicle-2010 those splinters has been fused again into Spherus Magna, thanks to Mata Nui. So it could be counted as one planet now. Sorry if I has misunderstood your idea.

Thanks for all the information, everyone! That Dune reference is particularly interesting...I'll add it to my notes.

I actually had Ashlar on the list. It's an interesting case...I'd take it to mean that it's a world with significant parallels to LEGO history, like many of the worlds on Star Trek, rather than assume that the fantasy-era Castle sets only take place on Ashlar. I'd also assume that it's the same as the "Castle Planet" mentioned in a UFO/Fright Knight commercial. Possibly the homeworld of Duke Exeter from LEGO Universe as well.

I'm definitely interested in alternate planet names from other countries--I'll put that one on the list! Was this from the Netherlands version of the Insectoid Invasion book, or from the catalogs?

“The ice planet Krysto, with its vast network of frozen tunnels and caves, is the capital of a remote part of the universe known as Ice Planet 2002. It is from this snow covered planet that rocket technicians are conducting top secret research. Their findings are coveted by the Blacktron forces and even renegades within the Space Police.”

There's a region within the universe known as Ice Planet 2002, of which a particular ice planet is the capital? That makes no sense. But it's interesting that none of the storylines involved setting the theme in 2002, which seemed to be the obvious implication.

TC

The info I have on Dutch names for the planets comes from catalogs. I spent a long time looking at foreign catalogs to learn more about the stories for older Space themes and the names for certain sets in other countries.

It's interesting to see how the themes varied between countries-- for instance, the Dutch names for M:Tron sets often included the word "reddings" (rescue or salvage), the meaning of which is ambiguous in the context of this theme. "Salvage" could fit in with the explanation I've heard before of M:Tron being a mining organization, whereas "rescue" would imply something very different. Official story briefs I've seen on M:Tron mostly just describe how they have advanced magnet and computer technology that the Blacktrons want to steal. And unfortunately, like several Space themes, M:Tron was before my time as a LEGO fan, so I only know about its story through what I can find online.

In the Dutch catalogs, the minifigures of Ice Planet 2002 are indeed called "IJstronauten" (translating roughly to "Icetronauts" in English).

In the Dutch catalogs, the minifigures of Ice Planet 2002 are indeed called "IJstronauten" (translating roughly to "Icetronauts" in English).

Ha! I thought that name was too much of a pun, but I guess I should never underestimate LEGO's tendency to use clever names. :) I was leaning towards "Ice Planeteers", but I guess it'll be Icetronauts from now on. :classic:

I think that Aquazone Planet is planet that famous of it's vast oceans with very small land and resources on it, but with rich reserves of crystals in the cave on the very bottoms so Aquazone expedition has been provided with submarine equipment.

Aquasharks, as I think, are space pirates that has stole several experimental submersible equipment from Space Police. Early SP is always differs from other factions because of oblong cockpits and flat design of ships, aren't they?

Interesting theories! I know LEGO is all about creating anything you want, but I've always found the different themes ripe for speculation like this. For awhile I liked to think that the Aquasharks were a Blacktron affiliated faction, but I agree that they work better as a sort of space pirate band. I do assume that the Aquanauts are affiliated with the same galactic government that Futron and all the rest belong to. Aquaraiders were another rival gang, I'm guessing, while the Stingrays would have been the true inhabitants of the planet. It's a shame that they were cast as the villain in their theme...

Nice idea. I didn't know there were so many planets. In the European storyline for Slizer, there are 8 separate planets. 7 have an element of one of the Slizers (water, fire, city, etc.) and the eighth is the Judge Dome for settling conflicts.

IIRC, one of the plot points of the American version was that the Slizer planet was either breaking apart or in danger of breaking apart...so the European version could simply represent the aftermath of a disaster.

However, in the end of Bionicle-2010 those splinters has been fused again into Spherus Magna, thanks to Mata Nui. So it could be counted as one planet now. Sorry if I has misunderstood your idea.

This is true. One of the tricky things about cataloging the LEGO planets is that many of them were shattered into different worlds--this is the backstory for LEGO universe as well. I tend to count only the original form of the planet, but it's definitely something we should make note of if we want more detail in the list.

Nice Guide to the Lego Galaxy! Looks like you got pretty much everything covered. The only other planet I can think of is the Space Police prison planet from the Clutch Powers movie, but I don't think it was named.

I wasn't sure if I should include the unnamed worlds or not...theoretically, every alien in the new Space Police theme represents a different world as well, and the urban space dome environment from the mini movies and commercials seems like a distinct planet too. A related project might be cataloging the different LEGO aliens...we're getting a new species in the next collectable minifigure line...

It's interesting to speculate about the history of aliens and the LEGO space exploration program. LEGO took so long to allow aliens in its space lineup that it seemed as though the UFO fleet was the first truly alien race the largely human faction encountered. But now we know that LEGO humanity had encountered alien life much earlier, in the Alien Conquest and Life on Mars themes. And yet it's still largely portrayed as a humans-against-aliens theme. This stems from LEGO wanting a clear antagonist for each theme, of course, but with all the humans on one side and all the aliens on the other, it's gotten a bit more sinister than in the days when it was just everybody against Blacktron...

Are the aliens part of the Galactic Council? Why aren't Martians or other aliens represented in the Space Police? Why does most of the action for the regular Space themes take place on barely habitable planets and asteroids? Even the new Space Police theme seems to take place in a sealed space city on some planetoid. Do humans never visit the alien worlds? Are they toxic to humans, or are they just aggressively defended by isolationist species? Perhaps the only aliens at large in the galaxy are the criminal exiles we see in Space Police, or the aggressively expansionist species like the UFO and Alien Conquest aliens... Or are the humans really the bad guys? We see them competing for resources with the Stingrays and the Rock Monsters on what are presumably their own planets...interesting possibilities for stories.

Does anyone know much about the Exo-Force and Ninjago themes? Do they take place on Earth, or in any kind of historical/futuristic context?

TC

Edited by TalonCard

I wasn't sure if I should include the unnamed worlds or not...theoretically, every alien in the new Space Police theme represents a different world as well, and the urban space dome environment from the mini movies and commercials seems like a distinct planet too.

Good point. However, I just rewatched Clutch Powers, and the Space Police Prison Planet is called Planet X4. Could it be that it is in the same system as the Alien Conquest homeworld?

A related project might be cataloging the different LEGO aliens...we're getting a new species in the next collectable minifigure line...

Good idea! But most races are simply referred to as "space aliens". :sceptic: Perhaps instead we should have a list of all the factions and their relations?

Are the aliens part of the Galactic Council? Why aren't Martians or other aliens represented in the Space Police? Why does most of the action for the regular Space themes take place on barely habitable planets and asteroids? Even the new Space Police theme seems to take place in a sealed space city on some planetoid. Do humans never visit the alien worlds? Are they toxic to humans, or are they just aggressively defended by isolationist species? Perhaps the only aliens at large in the galaxy are the criminal exiles we see in Space Police, or the aggressively expansionist species like the UFO and Alien Conquest aliens... Or are the humans really the bad guys? We see them competing for resources with the Stingrays and the Rock Monsters on what are presumably their own planets...interesting possibilities for stories.

Oh, we're most definitely the bad guys, robbing rock monsters of their primary source of nutrition, enforcing our laws on every other race in the galaxy, and powering our vehicles with Martian corpses. :devil:

Does anyone know much about the Exo-Force and Ninjago themes? Do they take place on Earth, or in any kind of historical/futuristic context?

I'm pretty sure that Exo Force took place on Earth, presumably in Japan, sometime in the future, although that was never really established. Then again, the technology that all the mechs and robots are based on were supposedly found hidden in the jungle, so unless an advanced alien race or a time-traveler hid it there, it would suggest that this is a partly uncharted planet. Ninjago takes place on present-day Earth, in the mystical land called Ninjago.

As for Aquazone, there was a Time Cruisers story in Europe where the Time Cruisers travel to the Aquazone. Their time machine is able to travel through both time and space, but I don't think it would take them to a far-off planet, so I'd assume that it's on Earth in the future.

Edit: Also, Atlantis takes place on Earth, and there is a skeleton with an Auaraiders helmet in the Portal set, so Aquaraiders were definitely on Earth too.

Guys, we all know that Lego themes are placed across the Lego universe (not our universe as many of you imply)- as Clutch Powers movie showed to us. Space Police is teoriticaly a police that keeps Lego themes in control! I think even a skeletons are just diferent alien race in Lego universe.

IMO The new Aliens should be called Greys-as they are called in our world, and I am looking foward the index!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I find it hard to believe that every single Lego theme and subtheme exists on their own little planet, locked into a single era. I believe Ashlar is an exception and all the other Castle themes exist on Earth, explaining the existence of Fantasy elements in the Fantasy Era Castle world.

By the way, are we only counting Planets? Because I think we should include the moon, and I think there was a prison asteroid in Space Police...

Guys, we all know that Lego themes are placed across the Lego universe (not our universe as many of you imply)- as Clutch Powers movie showed to us. Space Police is teoriticaly a police that keeps Lego themes in control! I think even a skeletons are just diferent alien race in Lego universe.

IMO The new Aliens should be called Greys-as they are called in our world, and I am looking foward the index!

I find it hard to believe that every single Lego theme and subtheme exists on their own little planet, locked into a single era. I believe Ashlar is an exception and all the other Castle themes exist on Earth, explaining the existence of Fantasy elements in the Fantasy Era Castle world.

By the way, are we only counting Planets? Because I think we should include the moon, and I think there was a prison asteroid in Space Police...

LEGO has presented multiple ways of interpreting the spatial and time relationship between each theme. There have been multiple references to a Castle Planet, LEGO Island suggested that they take place on different islands... The one I like best is the historical timeline route, which is implied by Time Cruisers: all of the themes take place somewhere in LEGO history, which resembles our own in a fantastical, adventurous, whimsical kind of way.

Personally, I think that all interpretations can work. The original Star Trek television show had something called Hodgekin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development, which stated that many cultures will develop along similar lines, in some cases mirroring them exactly. Now, Star Trek was never consistent with using this idea, and it was obviously intended to allow the producers to re-use Nazi, gangster, and Roman costumes and sets, but I think it can work with LEGO. Particularly since Classic Space takes a lot of inspiration from Star Trek. Given the relative lack of actual alien cultures in the Space theme, having planets for different themes adds play value.

But if we see a world like Ashlar, which is basically a castle planet, that doesn't mean that the people and places in it weren't represented at some point on LEGO Earth as well, thanks to Hodgekin's Law of Parallel Planetary Development.

LEGO Universe (which I had never really paid much attention to before compiling the list) does a nice job of setting up interaction between themes; the backstory is rooted in a futuristic setting, but through the power of imagination various worlds corresponding to LEGO themes are created. This allows for, say, pirates and ninjas to meet without sacrificing the idea that there were also historical LEGO pirates and ninjas. I'd say that LEGO Island takes place in a similar realm, given that the backstory for the Infomaniac and the Brickster set them up as kind of demigod-like figures.

Greys make sense as a name--though they might not call themselves that. I'm interested in reading the biography for the alien...

I limited the list to planets, because there are a lot of moons to keep track of: Hero Factory and Bionicle both have multiple moons, and I hadn't decided whether to include, for example, the moons of Mars. Ideally, in an expanded list, all planets would be organized by system with notes on their moons within the planet's entry.

Good point. However, I just rewatched Clutch Powers, and the Space Police Prison Planet is called Planet X4. Could it be that it is in the same system as the Alien Conquest homeworld?

Good idea! But most races are simply referred to as "space aliens". :sceptic: Perhaps instead we should have a list of all the factions and their relations?

Oh, we're most definitely the bad guys, robbing rock monsters of their primary source of nutrition, enforcing our laws on every other race in the galaxy, and powering our vehicles with Martian corpses. :devil:

I'm pretty sure that Exo Force took place on Earth, presumably in Japan, sometime in the future, although that was never really established. Then again, the technology that all the mechs and robots are based on were supposedly found hidden in the jungle, so unless an advanced alien race or a time-traveler hid it there, it would suggest that this is a partly uncharted planet. Ninjago takes place on present-day Earth, in the mystical land called Ninjago.

As for Aquazone, there was a Time Cruisers story in Europe where the Time Cruisers travel to the Aquazone. Their time machine is able to travel through both time and space, but I don't think it would take them to a far-off planet, so I'd assume that it's on Earth in the future.

Edit: Also, Atlantis takes place on Earth, and there is a skeleton with an Auaraiders helmet in the Portal set, so Aquaraiders were definitely on Earth too.

Wow! Those are some great points. I'll add X4 to the list. It would make sense that the Space Police would have a base in-system to monitor the Alien Conquest homeworld, since they've invaded the Earth in the past.

A faction list would definitely be useful, especially given the intriguing relations between the different factions hinted at in various sources.

I'm very sympathetic towards a negative/ambiguous moral interpretation of the LEGO Space people. Particularly the Space Police; they're shockingly quick to condemn aliens in the mini-movies, and even back in the 90's the Ice Planet boxes suggested that rogue elements of the Space Police were out to steal technology from their allies. (There's even a battle between Space Police and Ice Planet forces in one of the commercials too!) The old Jim Spaceborn comics cast the black-clad Classic Space figures as the bad guys, and one could even assume Blacktron split off of that faction...

The picture one gets of the LEGO Space theme is that the humans can be a prejudiced people, quick to plunder resources from other planets, and organized by factions that frequently turn on each other. Now that's obviously the negative side; no doubt there are peaceful, law-abiding explorers in there as well. But one has to wonder at the dark undercurrent running through the theme. Did the early invasions of Earth and Mars taint the relationships LEGO astronauts had with other races? Interesting possibilities for stories here...

So Ninjago is a country in the modern LEGO world? Interesting...

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Time Cruisers vehicles couldn't visit other planets; time travel would involve some degree of space travel as well, after all. I seem to remember at least one set coming with an Ice Planet helmet, which is awfully specific if the time machines can't travel to other planets like, say, the TARDIS can.

It was never clearly defined where Aquazone took place, so it's definitely open to interpretation. I'd argue that it takes place on another planet because it was originally developed as a space theme, the environment in the catalogs has strange blue crystalline rock formations, and the similar Rock Raiders theme explicitly took place on another planet. But it's up for debate.

I'm really interested in this Time Cruisers story! Can you send me more details; where it was published, what the characters were like, what the story was, etc? I'd like to learn more about that theme's storyline...

TC

I limited the list to planets, because there are a lot of moons to keep track of: Hero Factory and Bionicle both have multiple moons, and I hadn't decided whether to include, for example, the moons of Mars. Ideally, in an expanded list, all planets would be organized by system with notes on their moons within the planet's entry.

Well, I guess we don't have to get that much into this. :laugh:

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Time Cruisers vehicles couldn't visit other planets; time travel would involve some degree of space travel as well, after all. I seem to remember at least one set coming with an Ice Planet helmet, which is awfully specific if the time machines can't travel to other planets like, say, the TARDIS can.

Hm... Now that you mention it, I do remember another part of the story where they briefly got stuck in a time/place with a giant robot which I believe was supposed to be the Spyrius Robo-Guardian, so perhaps you're right.

I'm really interested in this Time Cruisers story! Can you send me more details; where it was published, what the characters were like, what the story was, etc? I'd like to learn more about that theme's storyline...

They were three radio plays that were included in each of the largest sets on cassette in Germany and possibly other countries as well. They were about Dr. Cyber and his apprentice Timmy (who were very close friends like Doc and Marty) going on missions through time to solve particular problems. In the story that I remember the best, they picked up a distress signal from a different time and they zig-zag through the time zones in order to home in on the signal. It turns out that the signal came from a young cowboy who operates the General Store in the Wild West theme, and the Time Cruisers help him defend his store against Bandits. The second story was about their robot getting lost in time, and in the third, Timmy's pet monkey, and they travel through time to find them. In order to get from one time zone to another, they always had to cross a zone called the "Zero Time" which was just a void. I wish I would have kept those cassettes. :cry_sad: Here's a picture of one of them I found on Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=4285623

Thanks, that's really helpful! So these plays were in German? And Timmy was Dr. Cyber's apprentice? Was he in training? Did they say how they met, and whether Timmy helped build the time machines? EDIT: I see that the first tape involves a trip to the year 3777...Is that the year Aquazone takes place?

TC

Edited by TalonCard

You're welcome.

Yes, they were in German. They didn't explain anything about their past. Dr. Cyber probably built all the time machines since he always explains to Timmy (and thereby the listener) how they work, so I guess you could say that Timmy was being trained in time travel. Again, they are very similar to Doc and Marty from Back to the Future.

The first Adventurers sets also had these radio plays.

That is so cool...I've always been interested in the storylines created for the LEGO sets, and Adventurers is my second-favorite theme, so I wish I could get ahold of these somehow... Did any other themes have them?

TC

Yeah, I loved those stories.

No, not to my knowledge.

Wow, that is really interesting (re: the audio dramas). I'd love to hear those (well, to hear them and be able to understand them). It'd be wonderful if there were translations to other languages, and if all of these were still readily available.

I'll go ahead and note that if we include licensed LEGO themes, the total number of planets increases dramatically. :wink:

I'll go ahead and note that if we include licensed LEGO themes, the total number of planets increases dramatically. :wink:

Very true; Star Wars has a whole host of planets, and with the DC and Marvel universes coming to LEGO...it would just never end!

I've had a chance during the break to take a look at my LEGO Magazine collection. I've made some more planet discoveries; some of them fairly obvious ones: Unitron, Spyrius, Roboton, possibly Jovia, and Gixxl Prime have all been added to the list.

TC

Edited by TalonCard

This is true. One of the tricky things about cataloging the LEGO planets is that many of them were shattered into different worlds--this is the backstory for LEGO universe as well. I tend to count only the original form of the planet, but it's definitely something we should make note of if we want more detail in the list.

I think that it will be better, because you need to be contemporary in order to not go into a trouble.

Interesting theories! I know LEGO is all about creating anything you want, but I've always found the different themes ripe for speculation like this. For awhile I liked to think that the Aquasharks were a Blacktron affiliated faction, but I agree that they work better as a sort of space pirate band. I do assume that the Aquanauts are affiliated with the same galactic government that Futron and all the rest belong to. Aquaraiders were another rival gang, I'm guessing, while the Stingrays would have been the true inhabitants of the planet. It's a shame that they were cast as the villain in their theme...

Think this over: Aquasharks always been kinda pirates, but how did they appeared on a planet that full of water together with peaceful Aquanaut miners?

Also I think that Aquaraiders are affiliate faction of Spyrius or Blacktron who been sent to overtake Aquasharks and deal with mining operations once and for all.

Stingrays could possibly be not native people, but somethnig like Insectoids: an isolated expedition that forced to adapt.