Jump to content


Is a seperate Star Wars forum needed?


30 replies to this topic

Poll: Is a seperate Star Wars forum needed? (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Is a seperate Star Wars forum needed?

  1. Yes (25 votes [46.30%])

    Percentage of vote: 46.30%

  2. No (29 votes [53.70%])

    Percentage of vote: 53.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zane

Zane

  • aka Toa Tilius !!


    Posts: 1176
    Joined: 24-September 05
    Member: 491

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:49 PM

The idea was brought up in a topic somewhere....so I thought I'd make a poll....don't vote if you're not sure. Just think about it before voting. ;-)

Also, this isn't really about whether you want a subforum, it's if you think one is needed....

#2 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

    Posts: 5396
    Joined: 27-February 05
    Member: 257

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:46 PM

I don't think one is needed, I mean the Theater forum is here for all licensed themes, and Star Wars is just one of them.  Yes, it dominates the forum, but that happens.  Right now Ninja is dominating the History forum, but that doesn't mean we need a Ninja forum  ;-)  *waits for Brickster/Brick Miner to come in and correct him about that*  :-P

#3 Brick Miner

Brick Miner

  • Saloon Gambler


    Posts: 1766
    Joined: 02-February 06
    Member: 646

Posted 17 September 2006 - 02:25 AM

View PostStarwars4J, on Sep 16 2006, 06:46 PM, said:

*waits for Brickster/Brick Miner to come in and correct him about that*  :-P
no, not a ninja forum...  i'll take a western forum though  :-D  :-D  :-D

...wait, i might be the only one in it  |-/

- BrickMiner
check out my about me thread.

also, check out The LEGO Western Expansion MOC Page at MOCpages.com !!!
and Brick Miner's Extras BrickLink.com store !!!

#4 JINZONINGEN73

JINZONINGEN73

  • Da Mecha Bay


    Posts: 2366
    Joined: 25-October 05
    Member: 516
    Country: USA

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:59 AM

I'll hold off on a vote until I know more.
Any word on how long Lego and Lucas are going to be waking up in the morning next to each other, or is such a thing not known? Seems like it's been forever... as I can't remember the last totally Lego-designed space sets... Life on Mars in 2001, yes?
If fluoride isn't dangerous, why was it added to the water in the Russian gulags and by the Germans during world war 2 to make the prisoners "apathetic" to what was going on around them?
Posted Imagehttp://www.astralwer...ix/default.html Posted Image

#5 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

    Posts: 5396
    Joined: 27-February 05
    Member: 257

Posted 17 September 2006 - 05:15 AM

View PostJINZONINGEN 73, on Sep 17 2006, 12:59 AM, said:

I'll hold off on a vote until I know more.
Any word on how long Lego and Lucas are going to be waking up in the morning next to each other, or is such a thing not known? Seems like it's been forever... as I can't remember the last totally Lego-designed space sets... Life on Mars in 2001, yes?
Yup...if you can really call that "Space"...

Before that was Insectiods in 2000, and UFO in '98

#6 Kikuichimonji

Kikuichimonji

  • Clikits Beauty Queen


    Posts: 2157
    Joined: 07-April 05
    Member: 297
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:59 PM

I don't think we need a seperate forum for Star Wars.
"I do not know with what kind of weapons World War 3 will be fought, but World War 4 will be fought with sticks and stones"
- Albert Einstein -

My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Weblog

Posted Image

#7 snefroe

snefroe

  • waisted plastic


    Posts: 4454
    Joined: 14-February 05
    Member: 230
    Country: belgium

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

funny thing... a majority votes 'yes', but none actually post something... if you want a seperate sw forum, go to fbtb, they've got dozens... we wouldn't gain anything from it though, nothing we actually want anyway, like great new members...

#8 mutley777

mutley777

  • The one and only Star Wars hoarder!


    Posts: 2219
    Joined: 29-January 05
    Member: 193
    Country: England

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

I voted yes but not really for star wars a reason. I think the other lines get lost in all the star wars disscusion. There is only 2 topics at the moment (other than yoda's great pinned links) that are not star wars. so a seperate forum would give the other lines a better chance for disscusion rather than getting shoved of the bottom of the page by all the star wars topics.

#9 Bonaparte

Bonaparte

  • Christmas Moose


    Posts: 14450
    Joined: 22-June 06
    Member: 822
    Country: Belgium

Posted 17 September 2006 - 06:17 PM

There is a separate pirates forum, so why not a separate Star Wars forum.
I guess there are more Star Wars fans than pirate fans.
And the number will grow since LEGO still has a licence for some years....
I think it would be a smart move for the future of the EB forum.

I vote YES!

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.



Posted Image



New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here



Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide






#10 Jipay

Jipay

  • Steve Wet


    Posts: 8388607
    Joined: 27-January 04
    Member: 1
    Country: France

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

View Postsnefroe1, on Sep 17 2006, 01:21 PM, said:

funny thing... a majority votes 'yes', but none actually post something... if you want a seperate sw forum, go to fbtb, they've got dozens... we wouldn't gain anything from it though, nothing we actually want anyway, like great new members...

Never thought we'd agree ^^

#11 captaintau

captaintau

  • Two Drink Minimum


    Posts: 1536
    Joined: 27-October 05
    Member: 525
    Country: England

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:02 PM

View Postsnefroe1, on Sep 17 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

funny thing... a majority votes 'yes', but none actually post something... if you want a seperate sw forum, go to fbtb, they've got dozens... we wouldn't gain anything from it though, nothing we actually want anyway, like great new members...


OK, I voted "yes". I liked the premise of FBTB. I left because it was marred by a bunch of pr1cks. A FBTB without said people could be excellent. And Yes, SW has almost taken over the "theatre" area so having its own area would make space for other lines.

#12 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

    Posts: 5396
    Joined: 27-February 05
    Member: 257

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:24 PM

But how much discussion do we REALLY get on other lines?  We'd end up with a semi-active Star Wars forum, and a mostly dead theater forum.

#13 Sir Dillon

Sir Dillon

  • Longs for the days of Wooden Ducks


    Posts: 4332
    Joined: 15-July 05
    Member: 435

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:26 PM

I voted for no. I don't think we need one, while it is true that Starwars is taking up most of the Theater forum, I don't think there's enough discussion of other theater themes besides Starwars. I think if we made a new Starwars forum, what's left of the theater section would get hardly any posts.

Just my opinion. :-)
"I'm sorry, I don't have the time to build anything that doesn't directly promote me."

#14 phoinix

phoinix

  • Eurovision !!


    Posts: 773
    Joined: 11-March 06
    Member: 689
    Country: Greece-Cyprus

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

i voted for no..i mean where would we stop? batman forum? exo-force forum? seperate train and city forum? *wacko*  
it would get a bit confusing for my taste..
arent things working out as they are?

#15 Hobbes

Hobbes

  • Retired


    Posts: 3230
    Joined: 20-May 05
    Member: 359

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:03 PM

How 'bout a seperate forum for every single line here? And line them up alphabetically, then you'd have to scroll for half an hour to get to SW...

Somehow everybody seems to be concerned about EB's forums structure lately. I'm sure the admin staff does their best to improve EB and so far they haven't disappointed. So, why not leave it to them to surprise us every now and then...


Oh yeah, I voted "no"...

#16 Zane

Zane

  • aka Toa Tilius !!


    Posts: 1176
    Joined: 24-September 05
    Member: 491

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:25 PM

Oh, just for the record, I voted no. ;)

#17 Hobbes

Hobbes

  • Retired


    Posts: 3230
    Joined: 20-May 05
    Member: 359

Posted 17 September 2006 - 09:41 PM

View PostToa Tilius, on Sep 17 2006, 10:25 PM, said:

Oh, just for the record, I voted no. ;)
That's new, starting a poll about something you don't like/want... ;-)

#18 snefroe

snefroe

  • waisted plastic


    Posts: 4454
    Joined: 14-February 05
    Member: 230
    Country: belgium

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

View Postcaptaintau, on Sep 17 2006, 08:02 PM, said:

View Postsnefroe1, on Sep 17 2006, 02:21 PM, said:

funny thing... a majority votes 'yes', but none actually post something... if you want a seperate sw forum, go to fbtb, they've got dozens... we wouldn't gain anything from it though, nothing we actually want anyway, like great new members...


OK, I voted "yes". I liked the premise of FBTB. I left because it was marred by a bunch of pr1cks. A FBTB without said people could be excellent. And Yes, SW has almost taken over the "theatre" area so having its own area would make space for other lines.
well look at it from another side: if star wars already dominates the theatre, then why would it need a seperate forum anyway, it gets all the attention it needs obviously. second, the other licenses have had their best moment a couple of months ago, when batman was released and all about starwars was mor or less quiet, and hp... well... there hasn't been any new set so...

#19 Darth Doggfather

Darth Doggfather

    Posts: 159
    Joined: 06-July 06
    Member: 840
    Country: United States

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:45 AM

I voted yes. Everyone before me is right, yet they're also missing the point. Since SW dominates Theater, a new SW forum would allow people to post in the Theater forum without needing to compete for people's attention with SW. If the LEGO Theater forum became non-SW, people who visited it would be coming for non-SW licensed properties, and it might get more hits. A SW forum could also have a SW MOC subforum, helping keep the general MOC forum cleaner. Oh well, just my thoughts.

#20 Starwars4J

Starwars4J

    Posts: 5396
    Joined: 27-February 05
    Member: 257

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:56 AM

View PostDarth Doggfather, on Sep 17 2006, 09:45 PM, said:

I voted yes. Everyone before me is right, yet they're also missing the point. Since SW dominates Theater, a new SW forum would allow people to post in the Theater forum without needing to compete for people's attention with SW. If the LEGO Theater forum became non-SW, people who visited it would be coming for non-SW licensed properties, and it might get more hits. A SW forum could also have a SW MOC subforum, helping keep the general MOC forum cleaner. Oh well, just my thoughts.
But that's just the thing, if we took away Star Wars from the theater the remaining theater section would be dead.  We get posts and threads for specific themes as we get news of new sets for said themes.  When Batman came out the entire forum was filled with Batman threads, but now look, it's dead.  These things come and go, and while the theater section would come alive when more licenses came out, they would quickly die again in a month or two.  Star Wars doesn't even get THAT many threads.  Sure, it dominates the theater section, but it's not like the theater section is insanely active or something.

As for the Star Wars MOC subforum...we don't get many (if any) Star Wars MOCs in the first place.  If we start adding all these new forums, sub forums, and subsub forums, the place would be so difficult to navigate that forums would be lost, most people wouldn't even know they were there!

Not like I'm bashing your idea, I can definitely see where you're coming from, these are just MY two cents, explaining why I feel the way I feel  :-)

#21 Zane

Zane

  • aka Toa Tilius !!


    Posts: 1176
    Joined: 24-September 05
    Member: 491

Posted 18 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

View PostHobbes, on Sep 17 2006, 10:41 PM, said:

View PostToa Tilius, on Sep 17 2006, 10:25 PM, said:

Oh, just for the record, I voted no. ;)
That's new, starting a poll about something you don't like/want... ;-)

It is? I tend to make polls just out of interest....that's how I am.... :-$

#22 Kahgarak

Kahgarak

    Posts: 1359
    Joined: 23-October 05
    Member: 514
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

:-P Yes.Star Wars is such a big theme,and besides,it is annoying to look through hundreds of Nickelodeon sets and Batman topics,before i finally found that one SW topic i looked for :-P .

#23 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

  • Loved Ghost Ranger


    Posts: 9642
    Joined: 15-January 05
    Member: 174

Posted 24 September 2006 - 05:26 AM

View PostBrick Miner, on Sep 16 2006, 07:25 PM, said:

View PostStarwars4J, on Sep 16 2006, 06:46 PM, said:

*waits for Brickster/Brick Miner to come in and correct him about that*  :-P
no, not a ninja forum...  i'll take a western forum though  :-D  :-D  :-D

...wait, i might be the only one in it  |-/

- BrickMiner
I voted no, but I like SW.  I concur with BM in regard to NOT having a separate Ninja forum nor a separate WW forum.  I miss the days when Pirates were part of the History/Adventure forum.  I find myself not even visiting the Stockade because it's just limited to pirate-related topics.  It's too much.  The same would happen to SW or whatever theme you create as a stand alone forum.

This is one of the things I like most about Eurobricks.  The diversity is fun.  As you start separating themes, it becomes more like a Web Site desicated to a single theme. *sad*  *sad*

#24 Jipay

Jipay

  • Steve Wet


    Posts: 8388607
    Joined: 27-January 04
    Member: 1
    Country: France

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

I think the proponents of the "no" depicted very well the situation. And they are also the oldest members, which means they have a better understanding of how things work around (and why it works). And even with a 100 yes for 1 no I wouldn't do it anyway, so...

View PostTheBrickster, on Sep 24 2006, 05:26 AM, said:

I miss the days when Pirates were part of the History/Adventure forum.  I find myself not even visiting the Stockade because it's just limited to pirate-related topics.  It's too much.  The same would happen to SW or whatever theme you create as a stand alone forum.

I agree, but we had to separate it due to the volume of posts : the other themes were suffocating. Pirates are also special in the way that there is no dedicated website to that theme and that we have the biggets forum related to this theme.

#25 snefroe

snefroe

  • waisted plastic


    Posts: 4454
    Joined: 14-February 05
    Member: 230
    Country: belgium

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:47 AM

isn't it time we close this discussion? it's quite clear that whatever the arguments or frustrations, there will not be a seperate SW forum here on EB. i also think that every one has had the chance to speak his mind, why don't we just leave it at that?



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users