Jump to content


Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Eric W.

Eric W.

    Posts: 64
    Joined: 18-October 11
    Member: 21018
    Country: United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

Posted Image
After 2 long months of planning, designing, building, tearing apart, rebuilding, Bricklink orders, changing more things, and building some more, my largest and most detailed project is finally complete! Yay for me!!!
Posted Image
DVtie1 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

Posted Image
DVtie3 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

Posted Image
DVtie4 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

Posted Image
108 by IMPERIAL FLEET, on Flickr

#2 lego envy

lego envy

    Posts: 285
    Joined: 22-October 11
    Member: 21089
    Country: USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:52 AM

amazing detail....looks great   :thumbup:
Posted Image

#3 Oky

Oky

  • I am O-ky, English-German relations


    Posts: 9526
    Joined: 02-October 07
    Member: 2028
    Country: USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hello and welcome to EB! This is a great MOC to introduce yourself with, and our rebel bloggers have blogged it before you even posted it. That's how awesome it is. :thumbup:

Posted Image

By the way, you might want to hit Return twice after each posted picture. :wink:

#4 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21743
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

Lovely work.  :thumbup: You used a lot of the same techniques in the rear area of the body as I did in my own LDD version of the craft from August, so I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

#5 Ceroknight

Ceroknight

  • Straight Up Cero!


    Posts: 3176
    Joined: 30-August 10
    Member: 12949
    Country: Canada

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:17 AM

That looks fantastic!
I love the textures on the wings as well as the interior. :sweet:
Ceroknight
Posted Image Posted Image
Photo by Librarian-bot:His Fantastic Deviantart page
Brickset  Flickr

#6 Eric W.

Eric W.

    Posts: 64
    Joined: 18-October 11
    Member: 21018
    Country: United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 10 November 2011 - 06:17 AM, said:

Lovely work.  :thumbup: You used a lot of the same techniques in the rear area of the body as I did in my own LDD version of the craft from August, so I can appreciate the amount of work that went into it.

I remember seeing yours a while back when I was looking around. I had the wings done already and most of the body. I tried several ways to snot the flat sections in the back but you can say I was inspired by yours! Your build is a lot more accurate where the back meets the cockpit ball almost like its a modular section that was attached still leaving a gap in between.

#7 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21743
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

View PostEric W., on 10 November 2011 - 07:39 AM, said:

I remember seeing yours a while back when I was looking around. I had the wings done already and most of the body. I tried several ways to snot the flat sections in the back but you can say I was inspired by yours! Your build is a lot more accurate where the back meets the cockpit ball almost like its a modular section that was attached still leaving a gap in between.
Something like that, though I'm sure yours is a whole lot sturdier than mine. If I remember correctly, the entire rear section is held on by about two studs and one 6L bar.  :laugh: Which brings me to my next question: I'm curious, how sturdy is your model in that area? My other model with a SNOT section that big, the T-16 Skyhopper, is quite unstable, and that's even with the section having gravity on its side. (because the portion I speak of is the tail, and gravity simply pulls it down towards its attachments and stabilizes it)

#8 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 4003
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

View PostEric W., on 10 November 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

Posted Image

I think this pic sums up the detail that's gone into this MOC :drool:. The shaping, greebling, and detail is amasing :thumbup:. Great job Eric W.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#9 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

  • Gungans taste like chicken


    Posts: 21406
    Joined: 28-October 09
    Member: 7997
    Country: Australia

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:52 PM

An AWESOME creation 'Eric W.', I  :wub: the detailing especially the cockpit ! :grin:  
Great SNOT job on those solar panels too ! :wink:
May the Eurobrick be with you always 'Eric W.' ! :grin:

#10 Eric W.

Eric W.

    Posts: 64
    Joined: 18-October 11
    Member: 21018
    Country: United States

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostBrickdoctor, on 10 November 2011 - 07:57 AM, said:

Something like that, though I'm sure yours is a whole lot sturdier than mine. If I remember correctly, the entire rear section is held on by about two studs and one 6L bar.  :laugh: Which brings me to my next question: I'm curious, how sturdy is your model in that area? My other model with a SNOT section that big, the T-16 Skyhopper, is quite unstable, and that's even with the section having gravity on its side. (because the portion I speak of is the tail, and gravity simply pulls it down towards its attachments and stabilizes it)

The stand has a 1x10 (I think) brick supporting the back section which also aids in the support of the wing panels. They are connected via technic axles that connect internaly near the cockpit. The wings have a 2x2 thin hinge plate that kind of sit on the flat section edge and keeps the wings from twisting down from the back. The flat sections in the rear are held on by a 1x4 bracket. Because of the weight and limitations of structuring, I cannot really lift it off the stand without it bowing like crazy and/or the wings falling off!

#11 sharky

sharky

    Posts: 437
    Joined: 19-May 11
    Member: 17931
    Country: USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:34 PM

Impressive.  Most impressive.  :classic:

#12 Masked Builder

Masked Builder

  • Hoping to get it up tonight


    Posts: 8348
    Joined: 16-April 10
    Member: 10293
    Country: New York, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

Amazing.  You really nailed the shape and the colors.  Keep MOCing like this and you'll be quite a respected builder. :thumbup:

#13 Solscud007

Solscud007

    Posts: 1646
    Joined: 17-August 10
    Member: 12637
    Country: USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

WOW fantastic detail.

#14 The Caped Crusader

The Caped Crusader

    Posts: 179
    Joined: 31-October 10
    Member: 14010

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

Wow . Stunning . The best TIE advanced I've ever seen ( beats tlg's every day and is quite better than the other mocs out there ) . The only creative criticism I can give is that you may want to do something to make it clear where the place where the "body" of the ship ends , and the stand begins is  - although it's awesome anyway). Congratulations .

"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now...and so we'll hunt him...because he can take it
...because he's not a hero...he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector...the Dark Knight" - James "Jim" Gordon
Posted Image

The Batpod by caped_crusader, on Flickr


#15 Praiter Yed

Praiter Yed

  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.


    Posts: 1395
    Joined: 07-June 10
    Member: 11296
    Country: England

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

This looks really good - the use of the 1x2 bricks with grill on the wings adds a great texture and I really like the way you've managed to incorporate the standard Tie windscreen without it looking blocky around the edge.  :thumbup:
Posted Image
Always on Brickshelf but finally flickr'd!  My CMS trade list  My minifig trades on swapfig.com

#16 Brickdoctor

Brickdoctor

  • Look at my Post Count!


    Posts: 21743
    Joined: 06-June 10
    Member: 11254
    Country: California, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

View PostEric W., on 10 November 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

The stand has a 1x10 (I think) brick supporting the back section which also aids in the support of the wing panels. They are connected via technic axles that connect internaly near the cockpit. The wings have a 2x2 thin hinge plate that kind of sit on the flat section edge and keeps the wings from twisting down from the back. The flat sections in the rear are held on by a 1x4 bracket. Because of the weight and limitations of structuring, I cannot really lift it off the stand without it bowing like crazy and/or the wings falling off!
Ah, I see. If I ever build one physically, I'd probably end up doing the same thing, though I wonder if it could be braced by tiles underneath that were attached to the middle area. (though then I'd have to make the middle area stronger as well...)

#17 Hollander

Hollander

    Posts: 529
    Joined: 06-May 11
    Member: 17672
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Wow. Just wow. Best minifigure scale TIE advanced I've seen for now.  :blush:

I especially like love the cockpit integrated in the model, even more due to the fact that it's a SPUD. The interior is amazing, so is the overall shape.  :thumbup:

Edited by Hollander, 10 November 2011 - 05:32 PM.


#18 Ackbar

Ackbar

    Posts: 79
    Joined: 31-May 11
    Member: 18170

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

I agree with the rest - AMAZING MOC! I especially like the use of grill bricks creating great texture on the wing as well as the interior. And the cannons on the wings is another very clever detail. Keep it up!

#19 M<0><0<DSWIM

M<0><0<DSWIM

  • Gundam Style


    Posts: 838
    Joined: 15-January 11
    Member: 15440
    Country: USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

Hey, Eric!  Welcome to the Forums, man.  As I said on Mocpages, this is one of the best minifig-scale TIE Advanced mocs I've ever seen! :wub: Can't wait to see what you do next. :sweet:

#20 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:04 AM

View PostM<0><0<DSWIM, on 10 November 2011 - 09:31 PM, said:

Hey, Eric!  Welcome to the Forums, man.  As I said on Mocpages, this is one of the best minifig-scale TIE Advanced mocs I've ever seen! :wub: Can't wait to see what you do next. :sweet:

He said he would be presenting to us a TIE Avenger, which I presume will turn out even better than the great rendition  he’s already made.

I am very much looking forward to seeing more MOCs by Eric W. and more participation in the forums – from the looks of his MOCs and comments, he seems to be quite adept in the hobby! A most valuable contribution to the FOL community.

That being said, am I really the only person across four sites (Flickr, MOCpages, FBTB, and now Eurobricks) who didn’t think this was absolutely perfect at first glance? Looking through the comments, I appear to be the only one to mention the size of the cockpit ball. :sad:

#21 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

    Posts: 1320
    Joined: 08-April 11
    Member: 17142
    Country: OZ

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:16 AM

wow thats hawt, your hard work has paid off  :thumbup:
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

#22 Brickadeer

Brickadeer

  • Bothan Spy #5


    Posts: 1122
    Joined: 28-December 10
    Member: 14963
    Country: Germany

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

It looks pretty good. Is it a minifig scale?

#23 Mr Man

Mr Man

    Posts: 4003
    Joined: 01-October 10
    Member: 13561
    Country: England

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postfallenangel309, on 11 November 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

That being said, am I really the only person across four sites (Flickr, MOCpages, FBTB, and now Eurobricks) who didn’t think this was absolutely perfect at first glance? Looking through the comments, I appear to be the only one to mention the size of the cockpit ball. :sad:

No I noticed it but didn't say anything because with something this accurate, to use the ugly SPUD piece, it must be personal choice.
'For over a thousand generations the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic.'
Posted Image Posted Image

#24 Fallenangel

Fallenangel

    Posts: 2469
    Joined: 10-January 09
    Member: 4964
    Country: 미국

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostBrickadeer, on 11 November 2011 - 09:57 AM, said:

It looks pretty good. Is it a minifig scale?

I seem to remember that the diameter of the 1/24 studio model's cockpit ball was roughly 5", indicating 10ft for the "real" craft. So this is obviously smaller than stud-to-foot minifigure scale - but then again, the ball on this MOC appears to be undersized relative to the rest of the ship. As Mr Man alluded to, the SPUD inaccurately has the chin-mounted laser cannons cutting into the viewport, which I suppose helps explain that.

Edited by fallenangel309, 11 November 2011 - 12:39 PM.


#25 Hollander

Hollander

    Posts: 529
    Joined: 06-May 11
    Member: 17672
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:52 PM

Correct me if wrong, but I believe this picture shows the studio model.

Posted Image

I think you're right Angel, about the cockpit being somewhat too large. I think the problem is that the SPUD canopy piece is still transparant outward the printed area.

I'll try to express my images through this (really bad) photoshop editting.

Posted Image

Accurater, right?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users