7 replies to this topic

#1 CombatBrick

CombatBrick

• formerly brickarmy

Member: 10041

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Doors swing out to access cabin. The windshield over the cockpit is removable for an easy access to place minifigs.
Posted Image

Armed with two machine guns:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Rufus, 20 November 2011 - 04:02 PM.
Indexed

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

AWESOME Blackhawk 'brickarmy', the 50-cal and chain gun are just the perfect additions to it ! :devil:
Excellent designing especially the doors.....Brick On Fly On Fight On 'brickarmy' ! :grin:

#3 KisKatona

KisKatona

Member: 20001

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Wow, amazing! I love the minigun and the M2! You should make a dio with this and have some Army guys repelling onto the ground (Or Black Hawk DOwn). Anyways, great job! :thumbup:
There's strong. Then there's Army strong. Hooah!
"We are the kids of war and peace, from Anaheim to the Middle East."-Green Day, Jesus of Suburbia
PS3 Gamertag-dborbely7

#4 gcanik

gcanik

Member: 14476

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

Great design, as I have pointed out with other peoples Blackhawks the hardest part to design and actually create (because of the limited curved slopes available) is the windshield/nose area and you have nailed it! Also like the fact that you incorporated the hinged cabin windshield for access and the sliding rear doors. LOVE IT  :thumbup:

#5 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

It's not a bad looking Blackhawk, brickarmy, and I like your choice for the windscreen. It's not a perfect match for the shape of the real cockpit, but a suprisingly simple way and effective way of getting really close to it. I alos like the SNOT work for the tail and the doors.

There are, however, a few things that I don't like. The main issue, I think, is that the tail looks too short compared to the cabin. There are also couple of things that seem a bit unfinished. The front landing gear looks awkward and I think that with a little more effort you could give the whole helicopter a much more detailed look, for instance by spending a bit more time modeling the exhausts, having a good look at the shape of the aft of the tail and by adding things such as a few navigation lights and the IRCM turret behind the main rotor. Finally, I think that the rotor would look a lot better if you'd use a line of tiles (1x6 or 1x8s) across the top. It gives them a nicer shape and you can use them instead of the 2x2 plates that you now use to hold the rotor blades together.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#6 CombatBrick

CombatBrick

• formerly brickarmy

Member: 10041

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

View Postlightningtiger, on 06 November 2011 - 11:21 AM, said:

Thank you

View PostKisKatona, on 06 November 2011 - 12:36 PM, said:

Wow, amazing! I love the minigun and the M2! You should make a dio with this and have some Army guys repelling onto the ground (Or Black Hawk DOwn). Anyways, great job! :thumbup:

Exactly, that's what I was thinking: Rangers or Delta coming down from the chopper. And this build was indeed inspired by one of my fav. movies: BlackHawk Down.

View Postgcanik, on 06 November 2011 - 04:00 PM, said:

Great design, as I have pointed out with other peoples Blackhawks the hardest part to design and actually create (because of the limited curved slopes available) is the windshield/nose area and you have nailed it! Also like the fact that you incorporated the hinged cabin windshield for access and the sliding rear doors. LOVE IT :thumbup:

Thanks. It was quite a challenge for me and indeed one of the main tasks I set for myself: to convey the flow of the UH-60 shape.

View PostRalph_S, on 06 November 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

There are, however, a few things that I don't like...
Thank you for your input Mad Phy... hmm, I mean Ralph.:sweet: I don't think there is a more valuable opinion about modeling helicopters then yours. I'll try to take you advice where I can. The only thing I would argue about is front landing gear. IMHO, I don't see a more suitable solution to recreate this:
Posted Image

Another point in the defense of this approach is that it's important for me to build a model that is suitable not only for display but also for light-to-medium play. So, two points connection helps to absorb the shock should a kid actually drop the chopper.

#7 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

• Dwarf My Maersk!

Member: 309

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:42 AM

View Postbrickarmy, on 07 November 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

Thank you for your input Mad Phy... hmm, I mean Ralph.:sweet: I don't think there is a more valuable opinion about modeling helicopters then yours. I'll try to take you advice where I can. The only thing I would argue about is front landing gear. IMHO, I don't see a more suitable solution to recreate this:
Posted Image

Another point in the defense of this approach is that it's important for me to build a model that is suitable not only for display but also for light-to-medium play. So, two points connection helps to absorb the shock should a kid actually drop the chopper.

You're welcome.

I agree that structural strength is important, certainly when building something that is to be played with, but what I don't like about the current gear on your helicopter is the step that it makes, with the wheels sitting below the strut. It doesn't do that on the real helicopter and the real one sits a lot lower.

Here's my solution (a Sea Hawk instead of a Blackhawk and on a slightly larger scale, but the front landing gear should work for you too)
Posted Image
HS-3 'Tridents' SH-60F Seahawk (7) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

It's not perfect either because the shock absorber doesn't sit at the proper angle, but I think it looks better. It is also doable in black- my Sea Hawk was black until a few weeks ago.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#8 Brickmamba

Brickmamba

Member: 17142

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

i admit i am a sucker for black vehicles, which makes this moc so much more appealing, good work  :thumbup:
My Flickr
My Instagram @kjavis

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users