<MOC> Bulk 2012

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Member: 2644

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:56 AM

I was recently inspired by the 2012 Hero Factory sets to build a 2012 version of Duncan Bulk. I borrowed a lot of concepts from the "Deluxe" version of Bulk from Bulk and Vapour.

I also tried to make use of existing parts in real colors as much as possible, but unfortunately, there are some parts (especially around the legs) that can't be found in current sets.

Click any image to enlarge it.

And now, I present...

Posted Image

Features:

• Full articulation (13 points, not including the wings, jetpack, and launcher joints)
  • Fully armored (including the back, as the 2012 Breez set seems to have)
  • Moveable wings (made to resemble Bulk's classic armor "wings")
  • Moveable jetpack (on a ball joint; made to resemble "Deluxe" Bulk's jetpack)
  • Twin launchers (not exactly in the new 2012 style, but still keeping with Bulk's trademark two-handed weapon system)
  • Handcuffs (mocked up from parts available in LDD)
  • "Glow-in-the-dark" Hero Core (I know the official sets seem to have plain white Hero Cores, but unless someone knows otherwise, I think they might actually glow in the dark [based on preliminary pictures]. If they don't, then consider this addition to be my own idea.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

LXF File - Brickshelf Gallery (when public)

I hope you like my MOC.

-Toa Of Justice

Tinker Posted Image Bell | 21103 Posted Image Revamp | iWin Posted Image Dual Device Dock

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

#2 Vinyl Scratch

Vinyl Scratch

Member: 20076

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:38 AM

Ingenious use of Nex's helmet.

A medal to you for that.

Good MoC, but Orange doesn't fit Bulk :V

Posted Image

#3 Kalhiki

Kalhiki

Member: 20441

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:02 AM

View PostVinyl Scratch, on 06 November 2011 - 02:38 AM, said:

Despite orange being his Hero Core color. :P
Love the MoC, and makes me want an official toy. I also like how you gave him a jetpack like he had in the Bulk and Vapour set.

Kalhiki

Edited by Kalhiki, 06 November 2011 - 03:03 AM.

Posted Image

Kalhiki: Now on DeviantART! Check me out!

#4 Rollbar

Rollbar

Member: 12958

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

The only 4.0 hero I would buy, and it's not even a real set.

Great work!  :thumbup:
- Rollbar

#5 Rocketbilly

Rocketbilly

Member: 4462

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:44 AM

Very nice, I can imagine this being made as a set, with a few exceptions - your ingenious use of the Nex helmets seems like something TLG wouldn't do for some reason. I like the colours, and I think what you say about the glow in the dark Hero cores could definitely be plausible. Will you be doing Stringer, too?

#6 Omicron Squad Leader

Omicron Squad Leader

Member: 15457

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

A medal to you for that.

Yeah, because Surge having loads of lime-green doesn't shout: BULK WILL HAVE ORANGE IN SUMMER 2012. :sceptic:

Anyway, really good MOC, here's to hoping Bulk's next form will be as good as this.

Edited by Omicron Squad Leader, 06 November 2011 - 11:39 AM.

Posted Image
Click the picture above to read my review of LEGO Hero Factory set 2236 Scorpio!

#7 K-Nut

K-Nut

Member: 19691

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Instwuctions pwease?  :sweet: Really cool! I tried to upgrade my Furno since I couldn't wait for the sets, but it was nowhere near this good! Great work!  :thumbup:
My Collection

Posted Image

Althior Emorith (And Finnegan) Level 40.4 Necromancer: Stats

#8 Aanchir

Aanchir

• Color Encyclopedia

Member: 8841

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

Phosphorescent White (the pre-2006 GITD) has been discontinued, so I think we can say with certainty that the new Hero Cores won't glow in the dark.

Anyway, kind of a cool design. At first glance it's a little chaotic-looking, but the same applies to the upcoming Rocka set, and like that set it starts to look better once you can see what all the parts are being used for.

I think the flames coming from his jetpack are a little underwhelming-- did you try using the larger flame piece 85959? Although that flame piece in real life tends to be blended, and LDD does not allow this, it's still a bit more formidable than the regular LEGO flames.

Posted Image recommends the following sites:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for all the comments, everyone! :thumbup:

A medal to you for that.

I chose Nex's helmet because it fits over the shoulder like the 2012 rounded armor pieces do. I also chose it because it came in orange, which as Kalhiki said, is Bulk's Hero Core color. If LEGO decided to use it, they wouldn't have to produce a new color or a new mold.

View PostKalhiki, on 06 November 2011 - 03:02 AM, said:

Despite orange being his Hero Core color. :P
Love the MoC, and makes me want an official toy. I also like how you gave him a jetpack like he had in the Bulk and Vapour set.

Kalhiki
I wish it were official too. :excited: I could put it on LEGO CUUSOO if you want me to.

View PostRollbar, on 06 November 2011 - 04:33 AM, said:

The only 4.0 hero I would buy, and it's not even a real set.

Great work!  :thumbup:
Actually, I think Bulk, Stormer, Stringer, and Nex might be in the Summer 2012 HF lineup--it would make sense since they're the only heroes who haven't been upgraded to the next version yet. :look: I don't know what's coming for sure though.

View PostRocketbilly, on 06 November 2011 - 04:44 AM, said:

Very nice, I can imagine this being made as a set, with a few exceptions - your ingenious use of the Nex helmets seems like something TLG wouldn't do for some reason. I like the colours, and I think what you say about the glow in the dark Hero cores could definitely be plausible. Will you be doing Stringer, too?
Believe it or not, LEGO did use masks/heads as shoulder parts before--see Maxilos and Takanuva (2008 version). As for Stringer, if his 1.0 helmet becomes available in LDD, I might do him too. :grin: I'm looking forward to doing Stormer as well.

View PostOmicron Squad Leader, on 06 November 2011 - 11:38 AM, said:

Yeah, because Surge having loads of lime-green doesn't shout: BULK WILL HAVE ORANGE IN SUMMER 2012. :sceptic:

Anyway, really good MOC, here's to hoping Bulk's next form will be as good as this.
I hope Bulk's next form will be as good as mine as well. :grin:

View PostK-nut, on 06 November 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Instwuctions pwease?  :sweet: Really cool! I tried to upgrade my Furno since I couldn't wait for the sets, but it was nowhere near this good! Great work!  :thumbup:
If you open my model in LEGO Digital Designer and press the F7 key on your keyboard, instructions should come up automatically. I should warn you though--the sequence of steps might be rather screwy at times, and not all of the parts exist in real life (such as the orange Villain Cores on Bulk's knees). :wacko:

Of course, if opening my model in LDD isn't convenient for you, I have just created a PDF version (1.66 MB) of the instructions from the LDD-generated HTML file.

View PostAanchir, on 07 November 2011 - 03:44 AM, said:

Phosphorescent White (the pre-2006 GITD) has been discontinued, so I think we can say with certainty that the new Hero Cores won't glow in the dark.

Anyway, kind of a cool design. At first glance it's a little chaotic-looking, but the same applies to the upcoming Rocka set, and like that set it starts to look better once you can see what all the parts are being used for.

I think the flames coming from his jetpack are a little underwhelming-- did you try using the larger flame piece 85959? Although that flame piece in real life tends to be blended, and LDD does not allow this, it's still a bit more formidable than the regular LEGO flames.
Shame about that GITD color being discontinued. :sad: As for the flames...how does this look?

Posted Image

^click to enlarge^

LXF File

-Toa Of Justice

Tinker Posted Image Bell | 21103 Posted Image Revamp | iWin Posted Image Dual Device Dock

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

#10 ZORK64

ZORK64

Member: 14137

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Once again, I'm tempted to adopt someone else's digital MOC into a real MOC with a few changes for my own taste... XD

Anyway, this Bulk looks fantastic! I'm seriously tempted to order this guy and changing the orange villian cores against available ones (aren't those armour pieces availabe in silver anyway?).

I'm looking forward to your revamp of Stringer and especially Stormer.
I know that I know nothing.
Ich weiß, dass ich nichts weiß.
Visit my MOCpage!

#11 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:43 AM

View PostZORK64, on 08 November 2011 - 05:26 PM, said:

Once again, I'm tempted to adopt someone else's digital MOC into a real MOC with a few changes for my own taste... XD
I'd be happy if you did that. :sweet: Please let me know if you do that so I can put a link to it in my topic.

Anyway, this Bulk looks fantastic! I'm seriously tempted to order this guy and changing the orange villian cores against available ones (aren't those armour pieces availabe in silver anyway?).
According to BrickLink and LDD Manager, the Villain Cores are available in silver, yes. However, none of the other pieces used in the legs are available in the colors I chose, except the orange feet and black lower leg bones.

I'm looking forward to your revamp of Stringer and especially Stormer.
Me too. I really hope I can do those...whether I can will depend on how much time I have (I'm currently in college) and whether the required 1.0 helmets become available in LDD.

-Toa Of Justice

#12 ZORK64

ZORK64

Member: 14137

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:12 PM

View PostToa_Of_Justice, on 09 November 2011 - 04:43 AM, said:

Please let me know if you do that so I can put a link to it in my topic.
Sure! Just like with the Protoss Warrior I once built, I'll give you full credit for the original idea. But I'm also not sure when I'll tackle that project, since I also had some other MOCing ideas I want to start prior to that.

According to BrickLink and LDD Manager, the Villain Cores are available in silver, yes. However, none of the other pieces used in the legs are available in the colors I chose, except the orange feet and black lower leg bones.
Just checked again on Pick-A-Brick, and they're available there as well. Since I like that piece anyway, I'll might order a few of them some day.
I'm actually not sure if I'll use your design to build Bulk or a complete original character, but even if I go for Bulk, I'll most likely alter the colours here and there anyway.

Me too. I really hope I can do those...whether I can will depend on how much time I have (I'm currently in college) and whether the required 1.0 helmets become available in LDD.
Well, maybe I'll take the basic design to tackle Stormer myself - of course, I'm gonna need a good idea for him before I do so...
I know that I know nothing.
Ich weiß, dass ich nichts weiß.
Visit my MOCpage!

#13 Toa_Of_Justice

Toa_Of_Justice

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

View PostZORK64, on 09 November 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

Sure! Just like with the Protoss Warrior I once built, I'll give you full credit for the original idea. But I'm also not sure when I'll tackle that project, since I also had some other MOCing ideas I want to start prior to that.
That's all right. Thank you. :classic:

Just checked again on Pick-A-Brick, and they're available there as well. Since I like that piece anyway, I'll might order a few of them some day.
I'm actually not sure if I'll use your design to build Bulk or a complete original character, but even if I go for Bulk, I'll most likely alter the colours here and there anyway.
Again, that's all right. Feel free to express your creativity--that's what LEGO is all about, isn't it? :wink:

Well, maybe I'll take the basic design to tackle Stormer myself - of course, I'm gonna need a good idea for him before I do so...
I took inspiration for my MOC from the 2012 HF sets. That might be a good place to start getting ideas. Unfortunately, I am now concerned that LDD may never get that vital Stormer 1.0 helmet...please see this post I recently made.

-Toa Of Justice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users