[MOC] Dalheim Medieval Diorama

45 replies to this topic

#1 shutinc

shutinc

Member: 7425

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Welcome to the lands of Dalheim!

This is where the tax evaders build their houses with large tunnels beneath. They use the tunnels for both storing their valuables and for a place to retreat if war breaks out.

The setting is of a medieval village in the highlands with surrounding mountains.
The original idea was to make a small landscape on 4x 32x32 base plates. In the beginning I was only focusing on the landscape itself, but after a while I decided to make a small house on the top of the first module. I was unsure if I was to make a japanese or medieval styled house, but after getting more and more done I decided to go with a medieval theme.

Just when I thought I was finished I realised that it looked a bit empty and unfinished with just the first module by itself. I then started on the second module which I have also used 4x 32x32 baseplates. In the beginning I had planned a watermill, but I was too inspired by the "Mill Village Raid" [7189 ] so I decided on to go with a windmill instead. The windmill is also motorized and geared down to make a nice and slow spinning effect.

The total length is 120 studs, 64 studs deep and around 40 studs tall on the highest point. This build has taken almost 4 months to make and there is used about 20.000 parts and bits.

Take a look at the WIP set on flickr if you want to see how I made this huge landscape.

Hope you enjoy! Please feel free to comment and critique this build if you like!

Posted Image
Dalheim Medieval Diorama - Main by shutinc, on Flickr

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by shutinc, 04 November 2011 - 08:02 PM.

"Inspiration can be taken from everywhere, but true creativity depends on the brain's ability to think abstract" - Self

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

MOCpages

#2 Fred Daniel Yam

Fred Daniel Yam

• Thinks dead fish can drool

Member: 20078

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

This is simply amazing, the sheer size and scale of it just makes it look so grand and luscious, hope to see more creations from you in the future!

"Your mind is a curious combination of insanity and genius. I simply removed the genius."

Playing as William Harkenshire in Sandy's Heroica RPG Stats

#3 MCNwakeboard

MCNwakeboard

Member: 9088

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

Wow this MOC looks amazing and I love how the story is built into the creation instead of just an afterthought. Keep up the fantastic work!

#4 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 30 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

A really cosy little moc you got there!  :classic: I like the waterfall and the houses are just perfect!

How have you done the sign "Dalheim"? Printed? It´s really good!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#5 Watchman

Watchman

Member: 9712

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

Awesome.  Inspirational.  Well done.

where did you get the signs from ?

#6 Gryphon Ink

Gryphon Ink

• Confused by the Madness!

Member: 14286

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Wonderful naturalistic landscape there, shutinc.  I love how you worked with the water here, especially the falls.  The buildings are very cool, too.  As a really minor quibble, this isn't a great spot for a windmill, and a waterwheel would have made more practical and historical sense in my opinion - your original instinct was probably the right one!  But the whole thing looks so great, it really works.

I love, love, love the bigger waterfall.  That's one of the best ones I've seen.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Angeli

Angeli

• Drow Master Builder

Member: 14156

Posted 30 October 2011 - 03:41 PM

Beautiful ;)
Ahahah you have SO many black hands :) some of your working peasants wore black gloves, and on the other hand, some of my Drow (black) elves are wearing yellow ones ;)
We should meet and change hands
I am joking, I am glad to see that castle dioramas are taking so much space here lately, with all those beautiful and smart guides for building, I see a great improvement in this category of mocs

Again, bravo ;)

#8 shutinc

shutinc

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:50 PM

Thank you everyone for your wonderful comments on this build!

It really keeps me motivated to go on with building new stuff :)

View Postde Gothia, on 30 October 2011 - 01:56 PM, said:

How have you done the sign "Dalheim"? Printed? It´s really good!

Thanks much, but I cannot take any credit for the signs. They have all been engraved by Matija from Brikkelauget.no (Norwegian LUG).

View PostGryphon Ink, on 30 October 2011 - 03:37 PM, said:

Wonderful naturalistic landscape there, shutinc.  I love how you worked with the water here, especially the falls.  The buildings are very cool, too.  As a really minor quibble, this isn't a great spot for a windmill, and a waterwheel would have made more practical and historical sense in my opinion - your original instinct was probably the right one!  But the whole thing looks so great, it really works.

I love, love, love the bigger waterfall.  That's one of the best ones I've seen.

Wow, I didn't expect to get this much attention for my work. Thanks! :)

I kind of regret not making the watermill. I agree it would fit better than the windmill, but I'm glad you like how it turned out! :)

View PostAngeli, on 30 October 2011 - 03:41 PM, said:

Beautiful ;)
Ahahah you have SO many black hands :) some of your working peasants wore black gloves, and on the other hand, some of my Drow (black) elves are wearing yellow ones ;)
We should meet and change hands
I am joking, I am glad to see that castle dioramas are taking so much space here lately, with all those beautiful and smart guides for building, I see a great improvement in this category of mocs

Again, bravo ;)

Oh yes! Drow are so facinating! I used to play a drow on a NWN2 server a few years ago. I notice your avatar is from the original neverwinter nights game  :thumbup:

I'm glad you appreciate the developments in the castle section. More will come from me aswell hopefully in the near future :)
"Inspiration can be taken from everywhere, but true creativity depends on the brain's ability to think abstract" - Self

MOCpages

#9 Stardusty

Stardusty

Member: 14245

Posted 30 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

Woah! That's just so awesome! :thumbup:
"To build, or not to build, that is the question."
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

• Master of "da hood"

Member: 17645

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

I think i'm moving to Dalheim! Awesome scenery!

Edited by Ecclesiastes, 30 October 2011 - 07:07 PM.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr

#11 Refinon

Refinon

Member: 20915

Posted 30 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Amazing, simply amazing.

#12 KristofBD

KristofBD

Member: 6258

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

Very nice work!  I like the scenery the most, but the mill is also astonishing!
Trouble is brewing...
                                                           Posted Image

#13 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:05 AM

This is what I like to see, someone who's not afraid to use lots of plant pieces :laugh:  This is very nicely done, I'm a big fan of countryside scenes and you have done a good job in making it look natural. The waterfall looks great as does the house and mill, its just a shame you couldn't swap them over, so the mill is at the top where it should be. Still, that's a small point and doesn't take away the fact that this is a great well built moc! :thumbup:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#14 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.

Member: 18035

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:03 AM

View Postshutinc, on 30 October 2011 - 04:50 PM, said:

Thanks much, but I cannot take any credit for the signs. They have all been engraved by Matija from Brikkelauget.no (Norwegian LUG).

Do you know if he sells these signs? I live in Sweden so it´s not that far away!

Edited by de Gothia, 31 October 2011 - 06:05 AM.

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#15 Captain Flint

Captain Flint

• A jaunty time for all

Member: 14289

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:47 AM

Wow! This is really amazing! The waterfall is beautiful. Nice built. Well done. :thumbup:

#16 I Scream Clone

I Scream Clone

• Returning Nocturnian Master

Member: 2955

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

Just beautifully done shutinc. The whole landscape is really quite decieving, it looks smaller than the actual size. The details all mesh so well together and the colours on the buildings really appeal to me. Love the trees and water features as well.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?,Read the site guidelines,Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image  Posted Image

#17 Larrynautik

Larrynautik

Member: 18122

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Extraordinary landscape ! Thanks for sharing your creation to us  :wink:

#18 smitty9999

smitty9999

Member: 19632

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Great Job!

It reminds me of something the foresters / dark forest could bet set in, with the rural feel and the hidden passages.

#19 TheBoyWonder

TheBoyWonder

• Benji! Did you hear? I'm a Bwobwic Human

Member: 19700

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

View PostMCNwakeboard, on 30 October 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

Wow this MOC looks amazing and I love how the story is built into the creation instead of just an afterthought. Keep up the fantastic work!
I agree. Many MOC's look like the story was a last minute detail, rather than the foundations of the MOC. I love the tunnel network!
Romulus Dean in Heroica RPG.

#20 blueandwhite

blueandwhite

• Sandwich Stealer

Member: 481

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:21 PM

Awesome stuff!  The landscape is rich with detailing, but for me the real highlight is the waterfall which is broken up by rocks that jut through.  This really makes the scene for me.

#21 Gabe

Gabe

• Green capital G

Member: 12135

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

So beautiful. I love how the scenery is so idyllic on the surface, yet there is a darker side to thier life with the caverns and weapons cache. That certainly is an impressive hoard for a simple village - i suspect ill-gotten gains!  :pir-devil:
Erudhalion Sansael, Admiral of the Kaliphlin fleet. Peregrinus for Kaliphlin!
Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image   Posted Image

#22 shutinc

shutinc

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:24 AM

Wow, thanks everyone for your wonderful comments and praise!

I'm glad you find the whole build interesting! :)

View Post3001/87, on 31 October 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

This is what I like to see, someone who's not afraid to use lots of plant pieces :laugh:  This is very nicely done, I'm a big fan of countryside scenes and you have done a good job in making it look natural. The waterfall looks great as does the house and mill, its just a shame you couldn't swap them over, so the mill is at the top where it should be. Still, that's a small point and doesn't take away the fact that this is a great well built moc! :thumbup:

Thanks much! It means a lot to hear this from such a master of this theme as you are :) I have to admint that I've taken inspiration from your wonderful builds like many others before me.
When it comes to the mill and the house I totally agree that they should be swapped, but I was so happy with it that I didn't dare to change it :P

View Postde Gothia, on 31 October 2011 - 06:03 AM, said:

Do you know if he sells these signs? I live in Sweden so it´s not that far away!

I don't know, but I can ask and send you a PM if he does :)

View Post3001/6, on 31 October 2011 - 09:28 AM, said:

Just beautifully done shutinc. The whole landscape is really quite decieving, it looks smaller than the actual size. The details all mesh so well together and the colours on the buildings really appeal to me. Love the trees and water features as well.

wow, thanks much! I agree it looks smaller than what it really is but getting the whole thing into one picture isn't easy :P Thanks again for your feedback!

MOCpages

#23 Gahrian

Gahrian

Member: 16149

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

Fantastic MOC. Inspiring!
Posted Image MOC1: City entrance
Posted Image MOC2: Port for imperial flagship
Posted Image MOC3: Space police 1 supply ship
Posted Image MOC4: Space Police 1 sector command

#24 supersympa

supersympa

Member: 9783

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

one word: BEAUTIFULL!

I really like it, like all the details you put in there
won't metion all as it is stunning!

#25 shutinc

shutinc

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:42 AM

Thanks much! I really appreciate it! :sweet:

MOCpages

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users